• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I saw a few of the hints from Imran, Nate, and Zhuge. Can anyone cover me up on all of them anyways?
2-It's a first-party "shill-pick" like Byleth (probably a Pokémon if this is true).
What is a "shill-pick"? Is it a promotional pick, but fans use the word "shill" instead of "promotional" to mock the character?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
Well, if we have to take Imran, Zhuge, and Nate's hints at face value then there are three possible outcomes:

1-It's a "surprise character" like Plant (unlikely, but you never know).
2-It's a first-party "shill-pick" like Byleth (probably a Pokémon if this is true).
3-Either way, I don't expect it to be one of the "usual suspects" of Smash speculation as of late (Geno, Dante, Crash, ecc.)
Nate said somethin?

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Nate said somethin?
He said this:
And I know, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to predict that "Some people will be upset for a Smash reveal", but as I said, I doubt he would be saying this if the character was one of the usual suspects.

It also entirely possible that this is a repeat of the "If I tell you the gender of the ARMS character then their identity would be too obvious" situation we had last summer: he doesn't really know all of the shades of speculation and just says what he thinks as an "outsider".

Shroob

Sup?
He said this:
And I know, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to predict that "Some people will be upset for a Smash reveal", but as I said, I doubt he would be saying this if the character was one of the usual suspects.

It also entirely possible that this is a repeat of the "If I tell you the gender of the ARMS character then their identity would be too obvious" situation we had last summer: he doesn't really know all of the shades of speculation and just says what he thinks as an "outsider".
I mean, considering he posts on ResetEra, he probably has a grasp on who he considers to be in vogue for speculation.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean no what or who the fighter is there's always going to be someone angry. So I don't really take that as a hint.

They could literally triple reveal Geno, Crash, and Master Chief and someone will still be pissed somewhere. It always happens even with the big fan favorites.

It happened with Pac Man. It happened with Cloud. It happened with Isabelle, etc.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
He said this:

Maybe this is my Xenoblade bias speaking, but there are some very vocal that actively dislike Xenoblade 2 and its characters. So Rex and Pyra/Mythra would not only be yet another "Anime Sword Fighter", but also somewhat of a divisive pick among even Xenoblade fans especially those who got into the series prior to 2.

Then again this is the Smash fandom being entitle brats is one of the many things we are infamous for, I saw plenty of complaints towards each character in FP1.

Shroob

Sup?
It is a little weird that Gamexplain's video used Melia as their idea for a Xenoblade rep and not, ya know, Rex.

I get that XB1 remake is the 'newest' game, and Melia plays a huge role in the postgame, but that is surprising.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He said this:

I can't be the only one who feels this applies to literally every ****ing character and is most likely a joke

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
They could literally triple reveal Geno, Crash, and Master Chief and someone will still be pissed somewhere. It always happens even with the big fan favorites.
Indeed. That would be me. I am still at a big zero of my wanted characters in this Smash, and all three of these are not one of them.

If I had to guess, looking at the lack of leak and the presentation that occurs as a stand-alone (not in a big gaming event), it's either an usually discussed first-party (XC, Isaac, Waluigi...), or the character of a company or man really close to Nintendo or Sakurai, like someone from Capcom, like Travis, like one of Hideki Kamiya characters. Not Crash, Master Chief, Steve, Geno or Sora.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Doubling up on any already represented standalone entry is ass-backwards when there's whole new worlds you could be adding.
That and, what exactly would Melia bring outside of herself in terms of new content to Smash?

Like, a stage is easy sure, but isn't XB1's music already decently represented as is? Granted, I dunno how much more music Rex would bring, but.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That and, what exactly would Melia bring outside of herself in terms of new content to Smash?

Like, a stage is easy sure, but isn't XB1's music already decently represented as is? Granted, I dunno how much more music Rex would bring, but.
Unfinished Battle and the final boss themes are criminally absent and Future Connected has it's own OST while DE just remixed every track to begin with. There's plenty to pull from if needed

PSIGuy

Smash Lord

Well there's 3 XB2 tracks already in the game and most music packs are 10-13. Area music, other battle tracks, Torna/Future Connected tracks, Xenoblade X music easily fills that many.

We've seen how they handle 'doubling up' on content already in-game with the ARMS spirit board anyway. The XB2 spirit board can easily be the 8~ XB2 spirits already in-game and another 8 from Torna, Future Connected and the villains.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
If I were an insider, I wouldn’t tell anything about smash, you know that its fanbase can kill you if you are not correct or the fighter is not what they expected. I hope none of these “insiders” hints anything in the next few hours, so the surprise can be more fun (for good or bad lol).

D

Deleted member

One part of my gut says it will be third party, the other part of my gut says it will be Rex and Pyra/Mythra.

Which gut should I follow?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's just a trailer. What's there to say other than "THE NEW FIGHTER IS X"? There's less than 8 hours to go and nobody has made a peep. I don't think anyone knows.
I think a couple might but I'm picturing the Nintendo Ninjas with sickles around their necks, ready for when they create a Game FAQs throwaway

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I feel like more than ''some" would be in an uproar if we get a Xenoblade character this morning. All this waiting and it being an RPG character from a first party? People are already going in with big expectations and yes, that's on them, but this was a character that was most likely an E3 reveal.

Peopple are definitely already expecting a Cloud/Banjo etc type of reveal.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like more than ''some" would be in an uproar if we get a Xenoblade character this morning. All this waiting and it being an RPG character from a first party? People are already going in with big expectations and yes, that's on them, but this was a character that was most likely an E3 reveal.

Peopple are definitely already expecting a Cloud/Banjo etc type of reveal.
You say that, but Rex is like, THE most wanted first party character

In Japan at least.

Staarih

Smash Master
Seeing as the characters "leaked the least" (is that even a phrase lol) or not leaked at all have been first party (Byleth, Min Min), I wouldn't be surprised if today's character is first party as well based on all the silence. Guess it's easier to keep things secret within own company versus several companies.
I would totally welcome a Xenoblade character, for example, it definitely deserves a second rep.

Or then they've actually succeeded in not letting out a single peep.

Anywhoo, six more hours and we'll be enlightened finally.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Seeing as the characters "leaked the least" (is that even a phrase lol) or not leaked at all have been first party (Byleth, Min Min), I wouldn't be surprised if today's character is first party as well based on all the silence. Guess it's easier to keep things secret within own company versus several companies.
I would totally welcome a Xenoblade character, for example, it definitely deserves a second rep.

To be fair, Terry wouldn't have been leaked if it weren't for Nintendo's own incompetence.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Wasn't it Nintendo themselves that accidentally leaked an SNK and Castlevania character?
Yup, the biggest leaks in Ultimate were accidental **** ups on the big N's part by posting a song the night before and trademark update on the European site a bit a couple days too early.

Staarih

Smash Master
Wasn't it Nintendo themselves that accidentally leaked an SNK and Castlevania character?
True, guess I'll have to take that back. I feel there just hasn't been a lot of "murmurs" around the latest characters like there was with Hero and Banjo, for example.

Which is good of course, I'll enjoy a surprise if I get one.

Shroob

Sup?
True, guess I'll have to take that back. I feel there just hasn't been a lot of "murmurs" around the latest characters like there was with Hero and Banjo, for example.

Which is good of course, I'll enjoy a surprise if I get one.
Probably due to the situation in the world, though Terry and Byleth both leaked in very weird situations.

Banjo was always in an awkward spot since he was an E3 reveal, and Minmin probably leaked via press kits.

D

Deleted member

I still have no idea why people are automatically jumping for it to be first party.

We have basically no evidence besides joke tweets.

Staarih

Smash Master
Probably due to the situation in the world, though Terry and Byleth both leaked in very weird situations.
I guess with Terry, even if leaked by a slip up by the big N themselves, was still inherently more probable to be leaked as the copyrights had to be added. With first party characters no such thing is needed so they're easier to kept secret until the very end. Not saying that this "silence" necessary still means anything in one way or another.

I still have no idea why people are automatically jumping for it to be first party.

We have basically no evidence besides joke tweets.
No one is jumping for anything, it's just speculation. Some people expect first party, some third party, and the only way to know is for the presentation to start.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As far as I know, only leak we have to go on is it being a League of Legends character.

No idea how they'd implement their mechanics in Smash.

Shroob

Sup?
As far as I know, only leak we have to go on is it being a League of Legends character.

No idea how they'd implement their mechanics in Smash.
Really easily tbh.

Outside of buying items and leveling up to grow your base stats, all League characters just have a basic 4(*) ability kit, with one skill being their Ultimate, usually their strongest skill which has a long cooldown.

tl;dr, if any League character somehow got in, there'd be a lot of made up moves for their moves.

D

Deleted member

Godamnit, I can't sleep. My sub-conscious is really ****ing stressing over a godamn $6 DLC package for a fighting game released in late 2018.
I think it is because Smash is quite a special celebration of gaming, and it is quite exciting to see who is able to join the celebration.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Persona 5 is my favourite first party Nintendo game

Shroob

Sup?
4 more hours to go.

Am I really going to stay up 4 more hours

When I'm already kinda tired

To watch a 3+ minute video on YouTube

For a DLC Trailer for a 2 year old game

For a character that probably doesn't really even interest me much

When they're most likely going to be delayed until a later date?

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
So he's saying it's gonna be a festival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom