• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Im gonna make another SEGA fighting roster but this time with 30 characters only and maybe 5 clones.

60 characters for a first game roster is crazy.

give me suggestions so i dont forget anyone important.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We doing Dream Passes now? Sign me up! :4pacman:
Well, I'm pretty late on this but it's whatever.

1)Min MIn(duh)
2)Young Wizard(also duh, could potentially replace this with Merle Ambrose)
3)Sora(love the guy and has a decent amount of moveset potential IMO)
4)Doom Guy(guns. Lots and lots of guns)
5)Star-Vader, "Omega" Glendios(Omega lock intensifies)
6)Duo pair of Zacian and Zamazenta(think that could work pretty well)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's my dream pass:

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Mega Man X
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Jill Valentine (yes, I'm double dipping into Capcom, sue me)
5. Lycanroc

Replace X, Jill, and Lycanroc with Ryu Hayabusa, Geno, and the seemingly inevitable promotional character for my realistic predictions.

toonito

Smash Ace
My Dream Pass (not including Min Min)
77 Crash Bandicoot
78 Sol Badguy
79 Jill Valentine
80 Ryu Hayabusa
81 Master Chief

My Predictions
77 Crash Bandicoot
78 Pokemon Gen 8
79 Phoenix Wright
80 Rex and Pyra
81 Geno

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Look, all I'm saying is that if Sakurai wanted to have a draw beyond the Sword of the Creator because Smash fans are like "sword bad plz like" there are other ways this could have been done.
  • He could have normals that are just punches and kicks.
  • They could have kept his Special Moves mostly the same as they are now, but the three house leaders do them instead (except for Sword of the Creator obviously). Byleth could use this extra freedom of movement to set up traps with them (Amhyr would actually be a usable move outside of casual play), but if any of them take too much damage, they permanently die, and Byleth loses access to these attacks until he gets K.O.ed.
  • His Down Special could be Divine Pulse, which sends him back in time similar to Geras's time travel abilities in Mortal Kombat 11.
I'm not saying that Byleth's current moveset is bad in any way, but the idea that it's the only way they could set him apart from other Fire Emblem characters, even just visually, is ludicrous.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Byleth's current moveset feels like those pre-Smash 4 movesets for Little Mac where they gave him the moves of his opponents because "lol he just punches what would make him unique?"

(Except in this case Sakurai just gave up and did precisely that)

There could've been potential for something real interesting and flashy but whatever the case, we're stuck with his current incarnation.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Im gonna make another SEGA fighting roster but this time with 30 characters only and maybe 5 clones.

Billy Hatcher, please! If I can't have him in Smash, at least acknowledge him in another Sega crossover.

Please?

I.D.

Smash Lord
Look, all I'm saying is that if Sakurai wanted to have a draw beyond the Sword of the Creator because Smash fans are like "sword bad plz like" there are other ways this could have been done.
  • They could have kept his Special Moves mostly the same as they are now, but the three house leaders do them instead (except for Sword of the Creator obviously). Byleth could use this extra freedom of movement to set up traps with them (Amhyr would actually be a usable move outside of casual play), but if any of them take too much damage, they permanently die, and Byleth loses access to these attacks until he gets K.O.ed.
  • His Down Special could be Divine Pulse, which sends him back in time similar to Geras's time travel abilities in Mortal Kombat 11.
I'm not saying that Byleth's current moveset is bad in any way, but the idea that it's the only way they could set him apart from other Fire Emblem characters, even just visually, is ludicrous.
The first is not particularly different from Ike, the second just reinforces that Byleth simply isn't distinct enough from other swordsmen/FE lords on his own even more than giving him the weapons of those characters and the third would just be a single move. I remain unconvinced, sorry.

because Smash fans are like "sword bad plz like"
There is a problem where there are too many swordsmen in Smash.
If Sakurai was just a user on the site there are more than a few opinions you guys would roast him for, lol.
QED QED QED

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Let's be real, it has never been "sword bad plz like" it has always been "fire emblem bad plz like".
That and, people don't like swords until it's their favorite character wielding a sword.

Maybe certain things could've been done to spice up Byleth's moveset, but as far as I'm concerned it was less about the moveset (which people still tried to negate by only mentioning Byleth's sword) and more that it was an 8th Fire Emblem character (who was put in because of freshness and promotional material) put into the game as paid DLC and the final character of a 3rd Party dominated pass.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

NiGHTS, you'd also get an easy clone with Reala. Maybe Ristar too? I realize he's pretty old but he could be fun.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The first is not particularly different from Ike, the second just reinforces that Byleth simply isn't distinct enough from other swordsmen/FE lords on his own even more than giving him the weapons of those characters and the third would just be a single move. I remain unconvinced, sorry.
Ike punches you and then kicks you for precisely... one move. Link and Hero incorporates more martial arts in his moveset than Ike does and I can think of more than a few moves to put on a brawly swordfighter than those guys.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'd forgive putting in a Three Houses representative if they used Dimitri instead. You hear a good chunk of people bemoaning a lack of spear-users in Smash, let's put their money where their mouth is.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd forgive putting in a Three Houses representative if they used Dimitri instead. You hear a good chunk of people bemoaning a lack of spear-users in Smash, let's put their money where their mouth is.
I would've loved that As I am the owner of the Dimitri thread but in that case there would be some clear bias and alienation of the fans of the other lords. I imagine as a business decision it was tactically sound to pick Byleth as they are universal to all players.

Wish I could've hit someone with a gae bolg, but I can see why Nintendo chose who they did.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace

Hmm...

- Arle Nadja.

- Alis Landale.

- A Wonder Boy protagonist. Asha would be my pick.

- Prince Ali from Beyond Oasis.

- Nigel and Friday from Landstalker.

- Someone from Shining Force. Deanna would be my personal choice (weird pick, but I really enjoyed The Sword of Hajya on my 3DS).

- Ristar.

- Vectorman.

- Maybe get crazy and include Ecco the Dolphin somehow.

Edit: - I forgot to suggest Billy Hatcher as well.

And I'll stop my suggestions there before I start mentioning stuff like Defenders of Oasis.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A few things I think should be considered:

1) Since that Famitsu column where Sakurai pointed out the struggles of making distanced development for Smash, where he mentioned "working with publishers". Awhile back, I went over the difference between publisher and developer, and how the term itself has meaning within the context. There were a few important sentences.

Long distance trips have been especially difficult to put together. For example, my trips to Nintendo in Kyoto. Trips to other companies have been problematic, too. Planning new fighters, presenting to publishers, and having meetings have all been indefinitely postponed.

A few things to note...Nintendo is mentioned separately from "publishers". Developers like Intelligent Systems or GameFreak are not considered publishers, but larger companies like Namco, Capcom, or Square Enix are (think of the meeting for Hero). There are plenty of publishers, so this isn't specifically those 3 companies, but it should be noted that, at the very least, we're looking at at least 2 publishers that aren't Nintendo, ergo, there's likely at least 2 3rd parties. I would say it's more likely that it's 50/50 3:3, though I don't have anything to base that on. It's a feeling I have, and that's subject to change in either direction if assist trophy/mii costumes are on the table for "upgrades" or legitimately off the table. (It can be argued that linguistic differences mean that "publishers" may not be indicate a certain amount of companies involved, though I believe that the context suggests it's not a totally unfair assessment. This may simply be up to personal opinion)

2) I think that it's highly likely that a new company will be included in Smash by the time we get Challenger Pack 11. This doesn't really narrow anything down, but I think, if it's a Japanese gaming company, companies like Koei Tecmo or ArcSystemWorks are in the mix. However, I would also argue that any company with a playable character in that isn't from SNK is on the table as well. It seems reasonable to me to expect AT LEAST one character from a new company, and AT LEAST one character from a company already collaborating.

Atlus seems to be SMT3/5 or bust. SNK is most likely out given the wide berth the Terry pack covered. Namco has Pac-Man and Tekken covered, with Tales unaccounted for. To my knowledge, there appears to be a drop off of popularity after that, thought that doesn't disconfirm Namco by any means. Capcom and Square Enix both have substantial backlogs with untapped potential, so I wouldn't be surprised to get a character from either company (though I doubt more than one from any given company, aside from Nintendo for obvious reasons).

3) Each "Season" of Smash DLC has included at least ONE "marketing" pick as defined by the fanbase. Corrin was first, Byleth 2nd, and now Volume 2 has started with Min Min who seems further away from a "marketing" pick from the previous two, though she could arguably still be considered one. Therefore, it's possible that we could still get a "marketing" pick from Nintendo, which I could see being from Pokemon. I have to agree that games that are still unannounced may not be in a great spot to get a playable character at this point, though it's tough to say that for sure.

Characters I could see from each company, to make things more concrete:

Atlus: SMTV protagonist, Demi-fiend
SEGA- Kiryu, Arle
Capcom- Dante, Amaterasu, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright
Namco- Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell, Soul Calibur, Dark Souls
Square Enix- 2B, Bravely Default, Neku Sakuraba, Geno, Lara Croft. A lot to go around here
Microsoft- Master Chief, Steve Minecraft
SNK- oof
Koei Tecmo- Ryu Hayabusa seems like their Terry, though I guess I can't rule out others
ArcSystemWorks- S(c)ol Badguy, Ragna the Bloodedgelord
Ubisoft- highly questionable based on content they already have, but Rayman probably. One would think Assassin's Creed and Rabbids costumes would come with Rayman, no?
Activision- Crash Bandicoot
Falcom- Trails in the Sky (funny acronym lmao amirite), Ys to name a few series

What do you think?

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I mean if you ask me, they've been sitting on a gold mine with that weapon category for quite a while now...

Bandana Dee Image 4.png

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Does Ike have attacks where he only punches? No. The only thing that comes close is his jab, which leads into a sword strike. So yeah, it'd be pretty darn different from Ike, especially if he got some sort of blitz attack.

Except commanding units in battle is one of his unique qualities. Giving him other weapons because "lol sword bad" isn't.

There are a ton of characters that are unique because of a single move Shulk and Duck Hunt (and something like this would certainly be something infamous enough to make him stand out). You're also assuming that this would be the only unique thing about him if they did have it, and that the three things I listed were the only things that would be interesting. Heck, this isn't even the only way they could implement Divine Pulse.

Maybe certain things could've been done to spice up Byleth's moveset, but as far as I'm concerned it was less about the moveset (which people still tried to negate by only mentioning Byleth's sword) and more that it was an 8th Fire Emblem character (who was put in because of freshness and promotional material) put into the game as paid DLC and the final character of a 3rd Party dominated pass.
Oh yeah, the character was going to be poorly received regardless, but as far as what the character brings to the table though, there are other things he could have brought, some of which nobody else could bring (which would have been a plus since now people just compare him to Monster Hunter).

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Alis from Fantasy Star
Zephyr, Leanne and Vashyron from Resonance of Fate
Gemini Sunrise & Erica Fontaine, And Sakura Amamiya should be included as well

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

1) Since that Famitsu column where Sakurai pointed out the struggles of making distanced development for Smash, where he mentioned "working with publishers". Awhile back, I went over the difference between publisher and developer, and how the term itself has meaning within the context. There were a few important sentences.

A few things to note...Nintendo is mentioned separately from "publishers". Developers like Intelligent Systems or GameFreak are not considered publishers, but larger companies like Namco, Capcom, or Square Enix are. There are plenty of publishers, so this isn't specifically those 3 companies, but it should be noted that, at the very least, we're looking at at least 2 publishers that aren't Nintendo, ergo, there's likely at least 2 3rd parties. I would say it's more likely that it's 50/50 3:3, though I don't have anything to base that on. It's a feeling I have, and that's subject to change in either direction if assist trophy/mii costumes are on the table for "upgrades" or legitimately off the table.

2) I think that it's highly likely that a new company will be included in Smash by the time we get Challenger Pack 11. This doesn't really narrow anything down, but I think, if it's a Japanese gaming company, companies like Koei Tecmo or ArcSystemWorks are in the mix. However, I would also argue that any company with a playable character in that isn't from SNK is on the table as well. It seems reasonable to me to expect AT LEAST one character from a new company, and AT LEAST one character from a company already collaborating.

Atlus seems to be SMT3/5 or bust. SNK is most likely out given the wide berth the Terry pack covered. Namco has Pac-Man and Tekken covered, with Tales unaccounted for. To my knowledge, there appears to be a drop off of popularity after that, thought that doesn't disconfirm Namco by any means. Capcom and Square Enix both have substantial backlogs with untapped potential, so I wouldn't be surprised to get a character from either company (though I doubt more than one from any given company, aside from Nintendo for obvious reasons).

3) Each "Season" of Smash DLC has included at least ONE "marketing" pick as defined by the fanbase. Corrin was first, Byleth 2nd, and now Volume 2 has started with Min Min who seems further away from a "marketing" pick from the previous two, though she could arguably still be considered one. Therefore, it's possible that we could still get a "marketing" pick from Nintendo, which I could see being from Pokemon. I have to agree that games that are still unannounced may not be in a great spot to get a playable character at this point, though it's tough to say that for sure.

SEGA- Kiryu, Arle
Namco- Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell (would be open to learning more about Namco)
Square Enix- 2B, Bravely Default, Neku Sakuraba, Geno. A lot to go around here
SNK- oof
Koei Tecmo- Ryu Hayabusa seems like their Terry, though I guess I can't rule out others
Ubisoft- highly questionable based on content they already have, but Rayman probably. One would think Assassin's Creed and Rabbids costumes would come with Rayman, no?

What do you think?
Considering we haven't even seen the SMTV protagonist's "battle mode" I can't help but feel he's reaching a bit. Also I think you're discounting the Soul Calibur series/Nightmare a bit considering SC6 is still getting support as of today.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Considering we haven't even seen the SMTV protagonist's "battle mode" I can't help but feel he's reaching a bit. Also I think you're discounting the Soul Calibur series/Nightmare a bit considering SC6 is still getting support as of today.
To be honest, I totally forgot about Soul Calibur and Dark Souls so I appreciate this. I personally doubt the SMTV protag as well, and I think they'd go with Demi-fiend. Simply have him there to cover all bases!

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I think for the New Company rep Falcom has a higher chance than many give them credit for. Estelle, Rean and Adol all seem like characters that have a decent chance

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think for the New Company rep Falcom has a higher chance than many give them credit for. Estelle, Rean and Adol all seem like characters that have a decent chance
Once again, totally forgot about them...even though I literally had a conversation with some dudes the other day about them. Thanks for the reminder!

I.D.

Smash Lord
A few things to note...Nintendo is mentioned separately from "publishers". Developers like Intelligent Systems or GameFreak are not considered publishers, but larger companies like Namco, Capcom, or Square Enix are (think of the meeting for Hero). There are plenty of publishers, so this isn't specifically those 3 companies, but it should be noted that, at the very least, we're looking at at least 2 publishers that aren't Nintendo, ergo, there's likely at least 2 3rd parties. I would say it's more likely that it's 50/50 3:3, though I don't have anything to base that on. It's a feeling I have, and that's subject to change in either direction if assist trophy/mii costumes are on the table for "upgrades" or legitimately off the table.
Japanese is a highly contextual language where plurals don't exist so I'm pretty sure you can't get "at least 2 publishers" from there. He's just speaking in a general sense.
A more awkward, but more literal translation that removes (adds?) ambiguity from that statement would probably be:
New fighter-planning, publisher-presenting, and meeting-having have all been indefinitely postponed.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

A few things to note...Nintendo is mentioned separately from "publishers". Developers like Intelligent Systems or GameFreak are not considered publishers, but larger companies like Namco, Capcom, or Square Enix are (think of the meeting for Hero). There are plenty of publishers, so this isn't specifically those 3 companies, but it should be noted that, at the very least, we're looking at at least 2 publishers that aren't Nintendo, ergo, there's likely at least 2 3rd parties. I would say it's more likely that it's 50/50 3:3, though I don't have anything to base that on. It's a feeling I have, and that's subject to change in either direction if assist trophy/mii costumes are on the table for "upgrades" or legitimately off the table.

SEGA- Kiryu, Arle
Namco- Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell, Soul Calibur, Dark Souls
SNK- oof

What do you think?
ight lemme give you a Bamco crash course

Bamco has several non-Tales non-Tekken IPs that can be utilized. You got Soul Calibur (Nightmare's a popular pick, but if the hero or otherwise good-aligned character HAS to come before the villain, there's Cassandra, Sophitia, even Yoshimitsu who's also in Tekken, thus killing two birds with one stone). You got Digimon from the Bandai side though that's kind of a gray area if you consider digital pets video games (and yes, the digital pet came before the anime). Klonoa could be a sleeper pick for a nostalgic platformer of theirs. Dig Dug if you wanna go retro. There's also God Eater but aside from the Project X Zone games i haven't seen the characters from GE brought up at all

and then there's their crossover queen, KOS-MOS from Xenosaga. her game trilogy may have ended and Monolith Soft now fully Nintendo's property, but KOS-MOS is considered 100% a Bandai Namco character, her artwork in XC2 having the Bamco copyright. she's also a pretty big deal in Japan, TONS of merch of her.

D

Deleted member

pipedream hoping intensifies
Wizard101_fire_wizard_fansite_kit_by_ernnis-d57sl3g.png

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I read ARMS instead of Atlus so I was confused for a moment. lol

SEGA- Kiryu, Arle
Namco- Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell (would be open to learning more about Namco)
SNK- oof

What do you think?
  • I'd stick Morrigan and Arthur up there as big maybe picks for Capcom. To be honest, I'd say they're way more likely than Amaterasu.
  • For Ubisoft, it really just depends on when the planning happened for this stuff. The Assassin's Creed and Rabbids costumes certainly wouldn't stop them from picking Rayman or Ezio from the Altaïr series, but if they were added knowing that neither character would get in then yeah, they're a no-go.

Japanese is a highly contextual language where plurals don't exist so I'm pretty sure you can't get "at least 2 publishers" from there. He's just speaking in a general sense.
A more awkward, but more literal translation that removes (adds?) ambiguity to that statement would probably be:
Pretty sure plurals exist, but they're contextual like with the English word sheep (you can have one sheep or many sheep). I can't imagine a language could function properly under a lot of circumstances if it had complete inability to signify a group of something.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A more awkward, but more literal translation that removes (adds?) ambiguity to that statement would probably be:
Thanks for this. That said, I still think it's fair to look at it as a separate clause in the article itself, as in, publisher(s) that isn't Nintendo itself. In that sense, it's probably not that far off from a fair assessment, but that may be a difference in opinion.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I agree that Ubisoft probably isn't getting a rep in the second pass given the Mii costumes. That said, if they did end up getting one, what are your thoughts on the Prince of Persia franchise compared to Rayman? I got into the series on Steam well after their initial release, so I don't know that much about how popular the franchise was back when it was getting games regularly. There was that Guatemalan retailer that listed a Prince of Persia remaster on Switch though, so if that's to be believed, the franchise could be becoming relevant again.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Pretty sure plurals exist, but they're contextual like with the English word sheep (you can have one sheep or many sheep). I can't imagine a language could function properly under a lot of circumstances if it had complete inability to signify a group of something.
They do exist but not in the way the translation uses them. Japanese is a funny language.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Billy Hatcher, please! If I can't have him in Smash, at least acknowledge him in another Sega crossover.

Please?
You get a stage

An issue came up to me with Alis, Nigel, Asha, and a Shining character and that was "how am i gonna make these guys be unique from each other?" I cant just shove characters I find cool in, they need to have something unique. They all use sword, shields, and uh not so diffrent magic

There's like a million great Phantasy Star characters that would bring something more unqie so we dont need to depend on Alis

Ali would make a cool half sword/half brawler with summoner powers thanks to the spirts he has, and have Leon as a clone. Although there's already a another summoner talking his place...

I actually wanted either Adam or Misheala as the Shining rep, but neither still have enough unique properties. Adam just punches stuff and shoots laser beams, SEGA already has plenty of robots that already do that better. Misheala would be a cool dark magic zoner but like, why go with her when I can go for Satan from Puyo Puyo or Magician from House of the Dead.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I agree that Ubisoft probably isn't getting a rep in the second pass given the Mii costumes. That said, if they did end up getting one, what are your thoughts on the Prince of Persia franchise compared to Rayman? I got into the series on Steam well after their initial release, so I don't know that much about how popular the franchise was back when it was getting games regularly. There was that Guatemalan retailer that listed a Prince of Persia remaster on Switch though, so if that's to be believed, the franchise could be becoming relevant again.
I don't know that I'd say any series is "out" but it would seem strange to me for Ubisoft to join Smash and not have Rayman or Ezio, as Rayman/Rabbids seem to be a mascot of sorts, while Assassin's Creed is their biggest series. That said, Rayman doesn't evidently do well in Japan. To be honest with you, I'm not as familiar with Prince of Persia or how it has performed in Japan in the past, so I can't give a formal, informed opinion. I would say that could play a part in determining "likelihood".

I.D.

Smash Lord
Well...duh, question mark? You can't exactly use plurals in the same way for the translation that you would in Japanese if that way of doing it doesn't exist in English unless I'm missing something.
What I'm trying to say is that Sakurai is just listing a bunch of specific actions that have become difficult under the pandemic and the way of translating that in English while sounding natural is by using the plural version of the words (meeting with publishers) which might imply multiple publishers but in Japanese the word "publisher" is just that. There is no "publishers" word: it would read as "meeting with publisher" to us, which is obviously grammatically incorrect, but in Japanese it sounds completely normal, and in no way implies whether it's a single publisher or many. It's just referring to the action of publisher-meeting.
Does that make sense?

Last edited:

EmperorCoal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5396-2021-6143
Dream Pass stuff at some point? Time to throw my hat into the ring

77: Min Min (Given)

78-81: Anyone that can bring all or some combination of an interesting moveset, fan hype, a fun stage and banger music. Even if I don't know the series, being introduced to new world through smash is dare I say one of the most enjoyable parts of the series. Besides that, seeing the wishes of those around me being fulfilled is all I need to get hyped myself. The happiness of the community, no, the happiness of YOU is all I nee-

Challenger 82:

Just do you fighters pass, but ya know if you really want to please a fella :)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What I'm trying to say is that Sakurai is just listing a bunch of specific actions that have become difficult under the pandemic and the way of translating that in English while sounding natural is by using the plural version of the words (meeting with publishers) which might imply multiple publishers but in Japanese the word "publisher" is just that. There is no "publishers" word: it would read as "meeting with publisher" to us, which is obviously grammatically incorrect, but in Japanese it sounds completely normal, and in no way implies whether it's a single publisher or many. It's just referring to the action of publisher-meeting.
Does that make sense?
Yes. Also I'm glad I got my confusion across and you didn't think I was trying to be snarky.

That said, Rayman doesn't evidently do well in Japan.
He does reportedly do well in Europe, so it could balance out. /shrug

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's another "Byleth is boring and has a bad moveset" episode.

While everyone is obviously entitled to their opinions, I still don't get most of the complaints against Byleth's implementation. As someone who really, really wanted Byleth, his current moveset really doesn't rub me the wrong way one bit. The Sword of the Creator still makes up the vast majority of his moveset and remains one of the key icons of his character, so it doesn't feel like his individual identity is being ignored or anything like that. Similarly, Byleth keeps the stoic yet gentle demeanour he develops throughout Three Houses in his animations, taunts, and quotes, further preserving his identity. He's a little cockier and energetic than he is in his home series, but that's largely to keep up with the more lighthearted atmosphere of Smash. No one wants to see their fighter majorly angsting on the battlefield.

In terms of the weapons not making a unified moveset, I also really disagree with that both in the context of Three Houses and the greater Fire Emblem series. Giving Byleth the Heroes' Relics touches on a lot of the unique mechanics that differentiate Three Houses from the rest of the series: weapons not being locked to specific classes, the crest system, and the house system get shoutouts they otherwise wouldn't get. More importantly, the Relics make Byleth the Fire Emblem character who comes closest to what Fire Emblem actually plays like. Fire Emblem isn't a fast, rushdown hack-n-slash game like the Marth gang's movesets would suggest. Instead, it's a slow, methodical experience where you have to strategically maximize the strengths of a bunch of individual units and, in doing so, form a cohesive whole. From that, a character with limited mobility and bunch of options that seem disconnected and overspecialized for specific situations translates these ideas very well to fighting game. Just like how you can't mindlessly send your best unit all by their lonesome and bumrush every enemy in Fire Emblem unless its Sigurd or Haar, you can't just throw out Byleth's best options and expect to get results. You need to play a more reactive game, looking for cracks in the armour where Byleth's wide variety of strengths can shine.

In terms of Byleth inevitably being "Whipsword Man" or "Weapon Man" because that's all he can do... Come on, he's got a lot more than that. Off the top of my head, there's:
  • Black Magic (fireballs, thunderbolts, craters, etc.)
  • White magic (draining spells, light nukes, healing, etc.)
  • Brawling with gauntlets
  • Time manipulation through divine pulse
  • Commanding other characters (either a handful of his students or a bunch of generic mooks for gambits)
It's a little frustrating to have characters who brings a metric ****ton in terms of moveset potential, only to be shot down because people can't think past their most surface-level characteristics. It happened with Hero during the Erdrick wars, it happened with Byleth, it happened during the ARMS debates, and it happens with far too many candidates now. I'm just sick of seeing "Me no like cartoon character, so they can only punch" or "Me no like Japanese cartoon character, so they can only swing sword".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom