• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Honestly not surprised. Wasn't the thing with Smash leaks these days that most insiders don't wanna touch Smash with a ten-foot pole because of how fans tend to be?
I've heard that as well. Also, my speculation is that Nintendo has really tightened down the bolts on Smash to prevent leaks because we haven't gotten much of anything since Banjo (Terry was a blunder by Nintendo).

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I've heard that as well. Also, my speculation is that Nintendo has really tightened down the bolts on Smash to prevent leaks because we haven't gotten much of anything since Banjo (Terry was a blunder by Nintendo).
Ah, not just me then. Cool.
Come to think of it, didn't even someone who posts here occasionally and who has some minor insider info say as much? Nekoo, I think? (Don't wanna @ anyone over this)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Oh definitely. Especially considering how powerful these things are. With Plants Vs. Zombies, we'd have things like:
  • Sunflower: The only way to get currency, but is easily destroyed. This mechanic would allow counterplay, but might turn every match into puppy guarding the things, which might not be very fun.
  • Pea Shooter: A steady (though not necessarily rapid) stream of projectiles. Even if the projectiles aren't overwhelming, they could still give characters like Incineroar tons of trouble.
  • Wall Nut: A destructible wall of significant height and durability. Depending on how this is implemented this could be utterly toxic.
I feel that Crazy Dave should at least have some plants work as traditional attacks, like Snapdragon for a forward air, or Bonk Choy as a forward tilt. The main recipients of the placing would bet the smashes and specials. For Wall-Nut, it would mostly be something you can jump over but would be irritating to deal with. And, of course, you can attack it yourself and start a round of Wall-Nut Bowling.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel that Crazy Dave should at least have some plants work as traditional attacks, like Snapdragon for a forward air, or Bonk Choy as a forward tilt. The main recipients of the placing would bet the smashes and specials. For Wall-Nut, it would mostly be something you can jump over but would be irritating to deal with. And, of course, you can attack it yourself and start a round of Wall-Nut Bowling.
I definitely wouldn't make it any taller than a character's jump height that'd just be too much (and that's not even just trying to compensate for Little Mac, as apperantly the shotos have an even lower initial jump). The issue with walls though is that they are an inherent camping tool. Jumping over the Wall-Nut would just put you at a disadvantage if the opponent is standing next to it (this could be mitigated by not having the Wall-Nut be the same height as or taller than Crazy Dave, this way the strat would just be to not put one down against small characters like Olimar).

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Oh ho ho, we talkin' Tales earlier? Specifically, are we talking Yuri Lowell?

View attachment 282743

My time has come.

View attachment 282745

Alright, listen up y'all, Yuri Lowell is a certified cool guy. He's rad. He's one of the sassiest characters to ever grace Tales of, and is honestly, in my humble opinion, one of the most fun to control characters in any JRPG ever. And while at first glance he may seem like just another "anime swordsman", Yuri would bring his own unique flavor to the archetype by way of Vesperia's Over Limit mechanic (I'll get to that more in a minute) and his ability to not only wield swords, but also axes! Not only that, but thanks to the way Tales of games work, he has an extensive list of moves to pull from: Ranging from projectiles, super fast jabs, and even a magic field that heals himself and damages enemies. He also has the potential to showcase some of the slickest Final Smashes with Mystic Artes, Vesperia's equivalent to a super move.

Now see, Over Limit is interesting because what it would allow Yuri to do if replicated faithfully in Smash, is give Yuri a brief period of time where he basically has access to animation cancels that allow him to become a combo machine. It also boosts his damage and overall speed quite a bit, but he's still vulnerable and can even be knocked out of the Over Limit state if he's beaten up enough to the point where he gets stunned. It's a bit like Joker's Rebel's Guard, admittedly, except the consequences for knocking him out of it could leave him in a shield break stun.

Most Tales games already play very similarly to Smash Brothers in that you have a neutral attack button and a "special" button. Combat is very combo based, and most fighting game fundamentals apply here: Positioning and reading your opponent is very much part of the game, and there's a whole multitude of strategies to use in each fight depending on your party and who you personally choose to play as: In most Tales of games, you get to choose which of the party members available to you you play as, and they all work radically different from one another. Take a look here if you're interested:

(WARNING, THOUGH! This showcases the game's combos and fights, so if you care about spoilers, maybe don't watch it.)

Now for the content Yuri could bring. Tales games can have a bit of a spotty record with OSTs in my humble opinion (I love Graces to death but my word some of the tracks sound like RPG Maker music), but thankfully, Vesperia is one of the better ones. You have a sick battle theme that changes throughout the course of the story to reflect the current mood of the story and characters, fantastic overworld themes that change just like the battle themes do, and overall great tracks like this. There's also the legendary theme of the game, Ring a Bell.

There's also a whole cast of wonderfully iconic characters that would make for great Spirits and references to iconic moments in the game (I'll refrain from specifics to avoid spoilers). There's also fantastic stage potential with wonderful locations such as Halure, a quiet village with a huge cherry blossom tree forming a barrier around it to protect it from the monsters that roam the world, to the City of Dahngrest, location of the Guild Union that is independent from the main governing force of Terca Lumeries (Vesperia's world) "The Empire". Side note, Dahngarest has a rockin' theme.

I adore Vesperia. I love Yuri Lowell. He's an interesting character that differs from the usual Tales of norm by having a character arc that deals with the concepts of justice and whether or not it's right to take matters into your own hands. He plays off of the game's cast extremely well and helps make up for Vesperia's admittedly lackluster plot once it hits its finale. Lloyd is an excellent choice by all means, and I will be absolutely overjoyed with any Tales fighter, but if I had to take my pick, Yuri's the one. He's just really, really cool.

If you managed to read through this huge atrocity of a wall of text, thank you, lol. I'm no good at doing huge character essays like @tehponycorn or coming up with good arguments like @Scoliosis Jones, but I am a huge Vesperia fan and I wanted to take a moment to share with y'all why I think he's rad. Thank you. :)
I haven’t played any of the Tales game, but this definitely makes me want to move them up in my backlog. The combat seems like it’d be really fun. If Yuri or Lloyd were to play like that in Smash then I’d definitely be down for them getting in.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's actually a hint at Onion Knight.

First time sucked.
Second time was people being stupid.
This time didn't even last 5 minutes
Was the first time the DMC5 leak that had a bunch of actual leaked details about the game and said that Dante would be in Smash, or was it something else?

I'm assuming that the second time was when people assumed that Dante would be in Smash because information about DMC3 on the Switch was coincidentally planned to be revealed on the same day as Byleth's presentation.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
It's worth noting that this is the hidden text:

I realize that I'm kind of defeating the purpose by acknowledging the hidden content, but I know how quickly rumours or alleged leaks like this can spread.
I wonder if this is worth it, when his fake claim gets circulated and he constantly has to deny that it was real, with uninformed people holding it against him when it turns out the next character isn't Dante. Insiders have had things held against them for less.

Just to prove, what? That people will capitalize off hints for clicks and views? Everyone already knows that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Was the first time the DMC5 leak that had a bunch of actual leaked details about the game and said that Dante would be in Smash, or was it something else?

I'm assuming that the second time was when people assumed that Dante would be in Smash because information about DMC3 on the Switch was coincidentally planned to be revealed on the same day as Byleth's presentation.
You were on the nose about DMC5 leak mixing in Smash info. The former was true, the latter was false. The latter may have been done on purpose

I suspect that’s also the deal with the League of Legends character rumor w/ the Trials of Mana Spirits (happened) and Hollow Knight costume (TBD), and the Atelier Ryza 2 Australian rating board leak (true) that also said Ryza was FP7 (may not be true)

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Didn’t Andre of GameXplain also reply to someone on Era saying “Geno is in FP7” teasingly? Can’t get on my pc rn but it’s saved in that one’s history.

he didn’t say “Geno is FP7”. I think due to increased leak security some insiders are just playfully trolling

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Yep on both counts.
The second time still annoys me, like I actively said it had nothing to do with Smash but people didn't listen.

I think Nate's bait (eh) was more directed at the ERA users who post in the Direct Thread just to see the Hidden Replies so they share them on their Twitter.
Nah it's directed at people who don't post in the thread.
If you post in that thread you can see the hidden content, it was just to try and bait people who lurk a site they irrationally hate the thread for info like some of us here and in other communities.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Plot Twist: The cycle continues with The Prince of Prince of Persia stealing Dante’s invitation into Smash alongside the reveal of one of his games getting a remake
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Hah, I knew there was a reason I put him as the dark horse pick!

1. The Darkhorse - Prince of Persia. Great series with a decent history on Nintendo and with potential as far as moveset.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Please let Fighter 7 be Dante. Then the cycle can continue.

View attachment 282759
View attachment 282760
View attachment 282761
Every odd-numbered DLC, someone gets screwed out of an invitation.
Plot Twist: The cycle continues with The Prince of Prince of Persia stealing Dante’s invitation into Smash alongside the reveal of one of his games getting a remake
Actually, this would be pretty cool. Prince of Persia's been around since the NES days, codified the Cinematic Platformer, and the reboot was enough to be listed as one of the best games of all time. Plus, it was big enough to get a movie that at least wasn't godawful. This guy would be a great underdog character.
Hah, I knew there was a reason I put him as the dark horse pick!
The prophecy

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I hope this is real because Sands of Time is and will always be Ubisoft's best game, nobody get mad at me I'm just spitting facts.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Every odd-numbered DLC, someone gets screwed out of an invitation.

Actually, this would be pretty cool. Prince of Persia's been around since the NES days, codified the Cinematic Platformer, and the reboot was enough to be listed as one of the best games of all time. Plus, it was big enough to get a movie that at least wasn't godawful. This guy would be a great underdog character.

The prophecy
FP4 (Terry) was even numbered and he screwed like half of his own company’s roster over

and then there’s Min Min (FP6) who screwed over almost everyone else in ARMS, and screwed over Spring Man TWICE after his AT reveal in 2018

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It's worth noting that this is the hidden text:

I realize that I'm kind of defeating the purpose by acknowledging the hidden content, but I know how quickly rumours or alleged leaks like this can spread.
Ugh, that’s really annoying of him. I get it’s annoying that people hang onto every word he says, but he shouldn’t do that in a big ass news drought like this. Maybe he should have an alt account if he just wants to post normally.

I feel like Dante gets """"leaked"""" every other day. Starting to feel bad for his supporters
It feels bad man. It’s almost starting to seem like Dante is a joke amongst insiders because they know he’s definitely not happening or something. :/

SharkLord

Smash Hero
FP4 (Terry) was even numbered and he screwed like half of his own company’s roster over

and then there’s Min Min (FP6) who screwed over almost everyone else in ARMS, and screwed over Spring Man TWICE after his AT reveal in 2018
There seems to be alternating methods of screwing people over. Odd-numbered titles seem to have a chain of screwing, one after the other, while the even-numbered titles have self-contained mass-screwing. This also applies to Hero's trailer; Remember, Erdrick hijacked the trailer from Eleven halfway through, and even got to pull off the final smash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well assuming if what Nate is true and is right. It was a great run for our favorite attorney and wolf goddess.

Much would prefer one of those two but I'll welcome Dante as he's a character I don't mind. Plus his personality and playstyle fits into Smash.

Love or hate the guy. He's video game personnel itself.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So NateDrake dropped this on ResetEra, and I can't tell if he's hinting at something, or if he knows the guy he's responding to and what they want.

yess, another one in the professor Layton cult, I mean guild, I mean fandom

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well assuming if what Nate is true and is right. It was a great run for or favorite attorney and wolf goddess.

Much would prefer one of those two but I'll welcome Dante as he's a character I fong mind. Plus his personality and playstyle fits into Smash.

Nope. It's "leaker"bait.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Didn’t Andre of GameXplain also reply to someone on Era saying “Geno is in FP7” teasingly? Can’t get on my pc rn but it’s saved in that one’s history.

he didn’t say “Geno is FP7”. I think due to increased leak security some insiders are just playfully trolling
First time I'm hearing that.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Is it entirely possible that Fighter 7 being a big deal (however that can be defined) because it would have presumably been the the E3 reveal is not necessarily a given? Perhaps its because this year has felt like a departure in so many expectations and norms that has me thinking that major third party requested character is by no means guaranteed even if it hypothetically would have been shown off at a June Direct. I don't know if I"m being cynical or just realistic with that mindset.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Well assuming if what Nate is true and is right. It was a great run for our favorite attorney and wolf goddess.

Much would prefer one of those two but I'll welcome Dante as he's a character I don't mind. Plus his personality and playstyle fits into Smash.

Bruh, did you actually read what was posted.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
But what IF Nate is actually teasing Dante? He hints at him, then he says he's trolling people and websites... but he's saying that to cover his ass, and Dante is actually FP7.

This is TOTALLY a big brain move from Uncharted Boy.

I'm just joking I just want Dante hahaha :'(

SKX31

Smash Master
I definitely wouldn't make it any taller than a character's jump height that'd just be too much (and that's not even just trying to compensate for Little Mac, as apperantly the shotos have an even lower initial jump). The issue with walls though is that they are an inherent camping tool. Jumping over the Wall-Nut would just put you at a disadvantage if the opponent is standing next to it (this could be mitigated by not having the Wall-Nut be the same height as or taller than Crazy Dave, this way the strat would just be to not put one down against small characters like Olimar).
Hell, we have a couple of overpowered traps in past Smash games:

Timber Counter, one of Villager's Custom Moves. The tree itself wasn't the problem, it was the sapling that trips people. Constantly. Leading to free followups. Similarily, :diddy: had two Banana Peels, letting him do stuff like infinite people with banana peels.* Needless to say, Smash 4 limited Diddy to one banana peel (yes, there was / is a Diddy infinite in Ultimate, but that one's much more difficult and the dev team at least attempted to patch it out).

What I'm saying is, those two examples do show how overly potent traps can be. The Wall-Nut would not have the same kind of problems because it wouldn't trip, but it's worth mentioning. Pac-Man's Hydrant and Trampoline are also possible walls / traps - so maybe the Wall-Nut and other traps can be around Hydrant's height? (Also, Hydrant and Trampoline counter Mac badly if Pac Man places one of them and then retreats.)

(Then again, I don't mean to rag on certain games: my favorite Smash game - Melee - has lots of jank like dashing back being insanely precise - 1 frame - and the Invisible Ceiling. Every Smash game has jank.)

I think you mean this image. :p
...And now I'm imagining Dante with Byleth's weapons and Byleth style-switching all over the place. (Come to think of it, does Byleth already Style Switch?)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Is it entirely possible that Fighter 7 being a big deal (however that can be defined) because it would have presumably been the the E3 reveal is not necessarily a given? Perhaps its because this year has felt like a departure in so many expectations and norms that has me thinking that major third party requested character is by no means guaranteed even if it hypothetically would have been shown off at a June Direct. I don't know if I"m being cynical or just realistic with that mindset.
I mean, not necessarily a highly-requested third-party. We could get a big third-party that doesn't get many requests like a Dark Souls rep or the Prince of Persia we just mentioned above, or we could get a big first-party request like Isaac. Besides, I don't think the entire schedule would get uprooted by the pandemic; It was finalized around November, so the big heavy hitters wouldn't vaporize as soon as lockdown kicks in.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
What if, now get this..
He wasn’t baiting Dante for smash?
Yes, the post he was replying to did mention smash, but it wasn’t asking about it. It was asking about next week’s direct. Again, it only mentioned Smash.
So maybe the reply wasn’t talking about Smash at all? Maybe a new DMC game?
Not like it matters since it was baiting everyone but just a thought.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What if, now get this..
He wasn’t baiting Dante for smash?
Yes, the post he was replying to did mention smash, but it wasn’t asking about it. It was asking about next week’s direct. Again, it only mentioned Smash.
So maybe the reply wasn’t talking about Smash at all? Maybe a new DMC game?
Not like it matters since it was baiting everyone but just a thought.
Devil May Cry 4 port announcement in the Direct maybe?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
wait why did the Resetera link show Professor layton and when I click on it, I dont see that. How do these new post links work? im confused
The top posts on that page where briefly discussing Layton.

No worries, I raised an eyebrow too momentarily when I saw the link description until I saw the full context.

Thanks Smashboards... :drsad:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But what IF Nate is actually teasing Dante? He hints at him, then he says he's trolling people and websites... but he's saying that to cover his ass, and Dante is actually FP7.

This is TOTALLY a big brain move from Uncharted Boy.

I'm just joking I just want Dante hahaha :'(
Nate is actually saying "It may make you cry" because this character will, in fact, cause some complaints. Which, since this is the Smash community, makes it impossible to boil down who this character is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom