• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
If the Geno Mii costume comes back now, it will show that Nintendo and the developers learned absolutely nothing from the infamous November 1st Direct, which I've lately been calling the "Everyone Is Disappointed" Direct, and for good reason: they somehow thought it was a good idea to not reveal a bunch of fan favorite picks like Isaac, Shadow, and Skull Kid as Assist Trophies until the last Direct before Ultimate's release, complete with revealing two playable
"Learned nothing"? What kind of entitled language is this? They're sitting on a 20 million seller. You think backlash from the always plugged in minority warrants anything more than a shrug? Not even a bit of damage control PR, unless you want to call that very very minor reference to the Byleth backlash damage control.

And I mean, it's not like Nintendo can't surprise us with other fan-requests even if Geno's costume does come back. Let's say the rest of the pass is Dante, Crash, Master Chief, Sora, and Isaac. Seems like a pretty solid pass, doesn't it? Do you think the majority of people would accept that, or do you think they'd dwell on Geno not making it in?

The Smash fanbase is more than Geno.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Y,know?

Geno fans cry about not getting Geno. Crash fans cry about not getting Crash. Steve? fans cry about not getting Steve? Dante fans cry about not getting Dante.

At least these characters have a sizeable chance of getting in Smash and speculation likes talking about them.

I’m still stuck trying to drum up even a minute amount of support for Paperboy and Shepard. Last time I checked, their chances have downgraded from “beyond laughable” to “you have horrible taste in characters. Go jump in a dumpster fire that is your most wanted list.”

So I wallow in pity for eternity but, for the newsboys and saviors of the universe that I love, I will persevere. Alone if need be.
Mass Effect is my second favorite game series, so I’d die of happiness if Shepard somehow got in. Shepard’s probably my #1 dark horse/unrealistic pick right now; maaaaybe it’d be Ratchet & Clank instead since I’d die of excitement if a genuine Sony character got in.

If Master Chief gets into Smash, I’d start throwing more support towards Shepard’s way.

If we can get the Japanese fantasy squad of:ultlink::ultmarth::ulthero: then maybe one day we could get the Western sci-fi squad of Master Chief, Doom Slayer & Commander Shepard.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gee, no discussion about the puppet ever seems to NOT get heated . It wood probably do some good to talk about other characters who could potentially star in Smash. Who are some other character you are all gunning for?
My personal Never Evers are Miriam and Shanoa because lmao no way in hell would they get in but other characters that'd make me pop off who aren't already in the game in any way and 1 per franchise are Dante, Velvet Crowe, Sol Badguy, Master Chief, Ammy, Strider Hiryu, Morrigan, Neku, Terra, 2B, Jessica Albert, Pheonix Wright, Doom Slayer, Kiryu and Demifiend. These are all I can think of early in the morning after sleeping poorly

7NATOR

Smash Master
Elaborate on your Dante chances. I've always felt a kind of mild annoyance from people requesting Dante. Maybe it's from January, when people got really annoying about it.
He's got alot in his Favor. Iconic, Relevant, Owned by Capcom, which seems to be easy to work with, Recent Smash Popularity, Has Sizable Japanese Fanbase, and Bayo vs Dante could be selling point.

My main Problem with him is from an Implementation standpoint. I've already discussed with people here (More than Once) about How I felt his moveset might be too hard to implement in Smash.

He's a Combo based character with a Sword that has alot of Versatility, including alot of weapons and a Transformation. Not only is that alot to balance, but that's just alot of modeling you got to do, alot of planing etc.

People Suggested that you can remove the Sub-Weapons, and only allow him to use his Sword Guns. My problem with that is

-You risk turning Dante into "Just another Anime Swordsman" as people would say
-You remove a Central Part of DMC (all the Different Weapons)
-run the Risk of looking inferiror to other Fighting games. MVC3/UMVC3, MVCI, and PSASBR all have Dante at least using more than his Sword and Guns

And People bring up Bayo, Mega Man, and Joker, but i feel this is a Different Scenario. Joker at least utilizes a Persona, Mega Man does use other weapons, just not all of them, and Bayo got in first

I'm not saying he needs all his weapons, I'm saying he should at least use Some. I Know he has Style Switching, but I think a Proper Implementation should have more than that

even without that though, just Him conceptually how he would work as a Character Seems like a nightmare to work in, And While I do think he can be balanced and such, and Implemented, When there are other characters on the line, including other Capcom Characters (Phoenix for example), I think that's where for me I kinda am worried

I do think he will have a Presence in the game though, but part of me is leaning towards Mii Costume

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Gee, no discussion about the puppet ever seems to NOT get heated . It wood probably do some good to talk about other characters who could potentially star in Smash. Who are some other character you are all gunning for?
Octolings, Waluigi, Yuri Lowell, Kazuma Kiryu, Phoenix Wright, Arle Nadja, and Eggman all spring to mind. If I got even just one of those I'd beyond happy, but I'm already overjoyed my original most wanted got in (:ultinkling:) along with over characters I adore (:ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbyleth::ultminmin) that I'm pretty okay with whatever comes at this point.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
- Talis from Metal Max Xeno: Reborn, the true "Xeno" rep. The Metal Max/Metal Saga franchise is going to be 30 old next year, and it is one of the oldest JRPG during the NES era. This is character is a Kadokawa rep. NOTE: I just chose the most recent protagonist from the latest game for Smash, but any protagonists from other MM/MS games is also a another great choice.

- Skullomania from Fighting EX Layer. Arika helps Nintendo with Tetris 99, so I felt that this character (or anyone else from FEL) would be their choice for Smash. Though companies that helps Nintendo like Koei Tecmo or Spike Chunsoft still didn't receive a rep for Smash, so this idea isn't quite possible yet.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
He's got alot in his Favor. Iconic, Relevant, Owned by Capcom, which seems to be easy to work with, Recent Smash Popularity, Has Sizable Japanese Fanbase, and Bayo vs Dante could be selling point.

My main Problem with him is from an Implementation standpoint. I've already discussed with people here (More than Once) about How I felt his moveset might be too hard to implement in Smash.

He's a Combo based character with a Sword that has alot of Versatility, including alot of weapons and a Transformation. Not only is that alot to balance, but that's just alot of modeling you got to do, alot of planing etc.

People Suggested that you can remove the Sub-Weapons, and only allow him to use his Sword Guns. My problem with that is

-You risk turning Dante into "Just another Anime Swordsman" as people would say
-You remove a Central Part of DMC (all the Different Weapons)
-run the Risk of looking inferiror to other Fighting games. MVC3/UMVC3, MVCI, and PSASBR all have Dante at least using more than his Sword and Guns

And People bring up Bayo, Mega Man, and Joker, but i feel this is a Different Scenario. Joker at least utilizes a Persona, Mega Man does use other weapons, just not all of them, and Bayo got in first

I'm not saying he needs all his weapons, I'm saying he should at least use Some. I Know he has Style Switching, but I think a Proper Implementation should have more than that

even without that though, just Him conceptually how he would work as a Character Seems like a nightmare to work in, And While I do think he can be balanced and such, and Implemented, When there are other characters on the line, including other Capcom Characters (Phoenix for example), I think that's where for me I kinda am worried

I do think he will have a Presence in the game though, but part of me is leaning towards Mii Costume
Eh, I think he'd be tough, but not impossible. But I do think the team would have to pick and choose between the crazy weapon variety and the styles. Going for the former really wouldn't be hard if they go the Megaman route, who utilizes a whopping 13 robot master moves excluding his own, which is more than enough to cover Dante's more iconic weapons that aren't Rebellion or Ebony and Ivory. But if they implement styles to make him a sort of stance character, that could be more difficult and they'd have to cut down on the weapon amount, unless they give 4 different movesets (1 per style) which sounds like a ridiculous amount of work.

I actually think Dante would be a fantastic fit for Smash, but Sakurai's gonna have to find a way to make him not have a bloated moveset.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
"Learned nothing"? What kind of entitled language is this? They're sitting on a 20 million seller. You think backlash from the always plugged in minority warrants anything more than a shrug? Not even a bit of damage control PR, unless you want to call that very very minor reference to the Byleth backlash damage control.

And I mean, it's not like Nintendo can't surprise us with other fan-requests even if Geno's costume does come back. Let's say the rest of the pass is Dante, Crash, Master Chief, Sora, and Isaac. Seems like a pretty solid pass, doesn't it? Do you think the majority of people would accept that, or do you think they'd dwell on Geno not making it in?

The Smash fanbase is more than Geno.
They should've learned that, if a fan favorite like Isaac or Shadow isn't gonna be playable, then they should rip the band-aid off as soon as possible instead of dragging it out until the last possible second. Same thing applies to Geno; if he was never gonna be playable and was always gonna be brought back as a Mii costume, then they should've brought the costume back earlier during Fighters Pass 1, during which they had multiple opportunities to do so.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've never liked this argument that "Geno only got popular because of an old Sakurai interview". Like that it's some artificial Fandom that was created because Sakurai talked about the character and people leech onto everything he says.

It totally ignores all the people who liked Geno who never knew about this interview or the passion people actually have for the character.
I don't think anyone stated that Geno supported didn't exist until the Sakurai interview.

It's just that his support died down and fizzled out until then because he was seen as a long shot.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm kinda surprised that people don't realize that, theoretically, the sole purpose of all of this DLC is just for Nintendo to turn a bigger profit on Ultimate one way or another:

Joker is flashy and exciting, so he's great for marketing.
Hero comes from an iconic and recognizable series, so he's good for marketing.
Banjo was highly-requested and unexpected (coming from a rival company), so he's good for marketing.
Terry relies less on being recognizable and more on being fun to play, so he's good for marketing.
Byleth has the benefit of coming from a fresh and well-received game from a Nintendo IP, so they're good for marketing.
Min Min comes from Nintendo's newest (and arguably underrated) IP, so she's good for marketing (to both games).
Ah yes, the floor here is made of floor. :p

The thing is though, just about anyone could make a profit. Case in point, Terry doesn't have any inherent star power (though that's absolutely not true for all regions) so you're reasoning for him being good marketing comes down to a single (probably tongue in cheek) line that Sakurai said. I think the most important factor is the character's ability to sell themselves. Pretty much every single character is halfway there; People love Super Smash Bros. and they love the creativity that each character brings. On a per character basis, there are a bunch of factors that go into this:
  1. Do people already know and like/are interested in the character?
    • Literally, how big is the series/character in question. Banjo & Kazooie, and Min Min are the only characters that can be argued to fail in this category even somewhat aggressively when considering the audience as a whole.
  2. Does this character appeal to the audience visually?
    • In terms of character design, this appeal varies wildly depending on the person, and shouldn't really be relied on too heavily. But you'll notice that a lot of the DLC characters have some kind of visual flair put into their abilities, most notably in their Final Smashes.
  3. Does this character's playstyle in game sound fun to the audience?
    • Considering each character has been getting a complete breakdown, this seems to be a very important factor to Nintendo.
  4. Does this character benefit Nintendo indirectly?
    • Essentially, can this character promote something or strengthen relationships with other companies or anything like that.
If a character ticks any of these boxes well enough, then they are a good candidate. Most characters have a mix of these, and to be honest, it's not hard to have a good mix. Let's take Terry, Crash, and Reimu for example.
  1. Terry does ok in the first requirement. He's incredibly popular in South America, and at least decently popular in countries like China and Japan. Crash and Reimu do alright as well, as the former has decent popularity in the U.S. and Japan, and the latter is very popular in Japan.
  2. Terry is pretty visually striking with things like Power Dunk and his Super Moves. Crash would be all about insane cartoon antics, which is incredibly charming and epic at the same time. Reimu would have a ton of spell effects everywhere, and her bombs are the definition of visual appeal.
  3. Some of Terry's mechanics were a hard sell, but others seemed pretty cool, so it balanced out somewhat. Not entirely, but somewhat. Crash would likely gain appeal in simplicity much like Banjo & Kazooie (though he may have a unique win condition), and Reimu's powerful projectile attacks would be striking in and of themselves.
  4. For Terry and Crash, the biggest aspect here is company relations. For Reimu, it helps in furthering the narrative that Nintendo loves indie games, which is something that they are currently pushing with things like Indie World.
So...yeah. I guess TLDR; I picked on you for saying something obvious and then proceed to further explain the obvious thing.
EDIT: Actually, I think my point is that they could sell basically any character and have it do well. The problem is less "would they make a good DLC character?" and more "which group of DLC characters does Nintendo think will do best?".

You know the drill - think of a caption
Good gravy! He really just chucked her off there!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They should've learned that, if a fan favorite like Isaac or Shadow isn't gonna be playable, then they should rip the band-aid off as soon as possible instead of dragging it out until the last possible second. Same thing applies to Geno; if he was never gonna be playable and was always gonna be brought back as a Mii costume, then they should've brought the costume back earlier during Fighters Pass 1, during which they had multiple opportunities to do so.
I mean... this really only affects the minority of the hardcore fanbase.

Most people straight up don't care THAT much about when something is revealed.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Instead of asking "When's the next Direct?" or "will leakers get the date of the next Nintendo Direct right?", I'm going to ask "When will Nintendo have enough games to actually justify another full length direct" because I don't see it happening this year. Maybe they'll just treat this as an off year and focus on having reveals for 2021 instead.

Watch as we get one more lukewarm newcomer this year, and then starting 2021 it's non-stop blockbuster picks for DLC released every 2.5 months or something.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
And this lesson was in a visible place for Nintendo? The same company that went out of their way to include an 8th Fire Emblem character while everyone was speculating massive AAA 3rd party franchises? The same company that started off the 2nd pass with a well-liked, but recent middling 1st party franchise and thinking that can sell the pass? Hell, the company that put up the 2nd pass for sale with no revealed characters (and BEFORE Covid was in full swing, so they can't use that as an excuse)?

When Nintendo learns lessons, it's not because of a vocal online presence. They do their own thing and always have, which is the double edged sword of their blue ocean strategy. They also have a gutted western branch, so even if they did listen to the vocal online, it's not us they're listening to. This isn't the Howard Lincoln era. Nintendo exists in their own bubble, which is why they can make so many boneheaded moves from the always-online fanbase's perspective. I don't see that changing anytime soon, and the way this year has gone has only validated my stance.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You want guns? Dante has all that and so much more (Though chances are he'll just stick to the swords), and Doomguy is all about the guns.

Gun jokes aside, my Elite Four, so to speak, is currently Reimu, Bandana Dee, Isaac, and Klonoa, with Reimu also working as the Champion.

Reimu, I think, is a darkhorse like Terry. The Touhou Project is arguably the biggest and most successful indie, especially in Japan, and is really easy to get the rights to. ZUN wants his charactersin Smash and Nintendo has sold Touhou music at it's own personal convention, so they're definitely aware of each other. Plus, Touhou has recently become popular with children, enough that Hello Kitty (The second most profitable franchise in the world, mind you) decided to go for a crossover. I'm also really certain that we'll get an indie rep, given that we've slowly been getting more and more indie content, and as mentioned before, Touhou is the biggest of the indies. Reimu's main obstacle is that she tends to skew towards Japanese and PC demographics. Not to say she's Japan-exclusive, seeing as 12 of the 30 official Touhou games are on Steam and ZUN doesn't translate his games because the fans will do it for him anyways, but she would appeal more to fans outside the Nintendo bubble.

Bandana Dee is someone I like because I like Kirby, and I also like his underdog characterization. Unfortunately, he's not really DLC material; He's not tied to one specific game, nor is there a recent Kirby game to push. If anything, he'd be a bonus fighter. I don't think alleged "Sakurai bias" would stop him, though; Not if Nintendo's choosing the picks. It's just that he's not really someone Nintendo would choose as DLC, as I just went over.

I strongly believe Isaac will be the Banjo of the pass; Someone without much modern relevance but is kept afloat because of popularity. It helps that he helms his own series, and said series was one of the most represented of the non-playable series. Plus, he's first-party, so no royalties would have to be paid to any other companies. There's also the rumors that we're getting another Golden Sun, backed up by the new trademark-That is, not a renewal-Which only helps him, though nothing's concrete yet.

Klonoa is the pipe dream. No modern relevance, no massive fan request, and his own company didn't even market his games despite the fact they were supposed to sell those games. At least there's the Klonoa Encore trademark; At best, I'd see him getting a Spirit Event. If he even got that level of recognition, I'd be happy.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Watch as we get one more lukewarm newcomer this year, and then starting 2021 it's non-stop blockbuster picks for DLC released every 2.5 months or something.
If the next character is lukewarm then it's possible that either everyone will be or they're backloading the characters instead of their usual M.O. I don't think they'd switch the characters around the pipeline, especially since the reasoning would be "COVID-19 ruined everything" which would also somewhat apply to Super Smash Bros., at least enough for switching characters to be an even bigger ordeal than it already would.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
ngl I kinda love how the narrative here is that they should have said your favourite wasn't in as soon as possible instead of the much more reasonable narrative that they should have announced who's in the pass from the getgo

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
ngl I kinda love how the narrative here is that they should have said your favourite wasn't in as soon as possible instead of the much more reasonable narrative that they should have announced who's in the pass from the getgo
... and?

Revealing everyone in the pass from the start also works as another way to rip off the band-aid. As bummed as I would be if my favorites weren't included, at least it would be way better than just dragging things out for a year.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
I am really wanting Crazy Dave from Plants vs zombies. To me he is a dark horse pick as in that he is from pretty popular franchise but he isn’t ever really discussed in smash speculation. The main reason is probably because he is owned by ea. I think another reason is that the pvz franchise isn’t on any Nintendo consoles other than plants vs zombies 1 (I think, I maybe wrong but I couldn’t find any other ones). Not that a character has to be on a Nintendo console to be in but it certainly helps. Speculation for might increase though if plants vs zombies battle for neighborville comes to switch. Feel free to give your thoughts on Crazy Dave and his (Sadly probably slim) chance of getting in.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
... and?

Revealing everyone in the pass from the start also works as another way to rip off the band-aid. As bummed as I would be if my favorites weren't included, at least it would be way better than just dragging things out for a year.
Saying they should just announce your favourite out of the way first is would beg the question why your favourite is so much more important to need to be shown off over other characters who are popular or why all Mii Costumes should get confirmed right at the beginning whereas confirming the full pass would just tell us what our money's getting spent on. Personally, I'd rather know all the characters upfront than all the Mii costumes

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Can Kos-Mos be considered as a dark horse ? I mean, Xenosaga isn’t Namco-Bandai most popular IP (the IP is really dead nowdays), but she can be a cool fighter will all her weapons and other stuff. Plus, we never get a fighter from space sci-fi setting game as DLC (Joker/Terry are like modern setting, Banjo-Kazooie is like a fantasy setting and Hero/Byleth are from a medieval setting)

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Crash
Rayman

Platformer Power!

View attachment 282702View attachment 282703View attachment 282704View attachment 282705View attachment 282706View attachment 282707View attachment 282708
Few people tend to talk about my most-wanteds, which either points to them being so noncontroversial that they're not worth discussing further, or being so insignificant that no one feels threatened by the possibility of them seriously being considered for Smash.
Either possibility kind of bums me out.
If it makes you feel better, Dark Matter would be my 2nd choice for a Kirby rep after Bandana Dee, and Porky would make for an excellent completion to the Earthbound reps.

Ah yes, the floor here is made of floor. :p

The thing is though, just about anyone could make a profit. Case in point, Terry doesn't have any inherent star power (though that's absolutely not true for all regions) so you're reasoning for him being good marketing comes down to a single (probably tongue in cheek) line that Sakurai said. I think the most important factor is the character's ability to sell themselves. Pretty much every single character is halfway there; People love Super Smash Bros. and they love the creativity that each character brings. On a per character basis, there are a bunch of factors that go into this:
  1. Do people already know and like/are interested in the character?
    • Literally, how big is the series/character in question. Banjo & Kazooie, and Min Min are the only characters that can be argued to fail in this category even somewhat aggressively when considering the audience as a whole.
  2. Does this character appeal to the audience visually?
    • In terms of character design, this appeal varies wildly depending on the person, and shouldn't really be relied on too heavily. But you'll notice that a lot of the DLC characters have some kind of visual flair put into their abilities, most notably in their Final Smashes.
  3. Does this character's playstyle in game sound fun to the audience?
    • Considering each character has been getting a complete breakdown, this seems to be a very important factor to Nintendo.
  4. Does this character benefit Nintendo indirectly?
    • Essentially, can this character promote something or strengthen relationships with other companies or anything like that.
If a character ticks any of these boxes well enough, then they are a good candidate. Most characters have a mix of these, and to be honest, it's not hard to have a good mix. Let's take Terry, Crash, and Reimu for example.
  1. Terry does ok in the first requirement. He's incredibly popular in South America, and at least decently popular in countries like China and Japan. Crash and Reimu do alright as well, as the former has decent popularity in the U.S. and Japan, and the latter is very popular in Japan.
  2. Terry is pretty visually striking with things like Power Dunk and his Super Moves. Crash would be all about insane cartoon antics, which is incredibly charming and epic at the same time. Reimu would have a ton of spell effects everywhere, and her bombs are the definition of visual appeal.
  3. Some of Terry's mechanics were a hard sell, but others seemed pretty cool, so it balanced out somewhat. Not entirely, but somewhat. Crash would likely gain appeal in simplicity much like Banjo & Kazooie (though he may have a unique win condition), and Reimu's powerful projectile attacks would be striking in and of themselves.
  4. For Terry and Crash, the biggest aspect here is company relations. For Reimu, it helps in furthering the narrative that Nintendo loves indie games, which is something that they are currently pushing with things like Indie World.
So...yeah. I guess TLDR; I picked on you for saying something obvious and then proceed to further explain the obvious thing.
EDIT: Actually, I think my point is that they could sell basically any character and have it do well. The problem is less "would they make a good DLC character?" and more "which group of DLC characters does Nintendo think will do best?".
I mean, it's not like I'd get to a point that there isn't a good reason for a certain character to be something as grand as paid DLC.
Although, I guess my reasoning towards the FP inclusions so far were pretty surface-level compared to your utterly in-depth and detailed analysis.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can we please get this as a boss in the next game's story mode (or even as a character)
As memorable as he is... I don't think he'll ever be referenced in Smash in anyway.

He's like Mara from SMT / Persona. Iconic to the franchise but their entire concept is too crass for an E10 game. He does have a lovely grin though. :troll:

Also heads up, that gif has a bad word in it, I'd edit it out before a mod sees it.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
So I just wanted to ask you guys, because Gamefaqs had a Topic about this "Leak" but

How would you guys feel about Zavok being a Character in Smash Bros?
Could you imagine if this guy got in before Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc?

That would be like snubbing Ganon, Skull Kid, Midna, Impa, Vaati, etc. for Onox.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even if there's no one in the pass I'd absolutely love, I would still prefer they not reveal everything at once.

Seriously, I don't think people realize how dull and boring speculation would be if we spent two years discussing potential movesets and stages, which Spirits would come with the character, and release dates. At least ambiguity means you can discuss your character and enjoy hoping you'll end up being right.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Even if there's no one in the pass I'd absolutely love, I would still prefer they not reveal everything at once.

Seriously, I don't think people realize how dull and boring speculation would be if we spent two years discussing potential movesets and stages, which Spirits would come with the character, and release dates. At least ambiguity means you can discuss your character and enjoy hoping you'll end up being right.
Are you genuinely suggesting speculating is more important to you than playing the game itself? Cause if they tell us who the other 5 are, I'd know if I want to buy the pass or buy the characters seperately so that I can, you know, PLAY as the characters when they come out
SFV fans are pretty satisfied knowing who the first 4 characters are on the next pass
So are MK fans, SamSho fans, Power Rangers fans, Soul Calibur fans, etc

ZelDan

Smash Master
Are you genuinely suggesting speculating is more important to you than playing the game itself? Cause if they tell us who the other 5 are, I'd know if I want to buy the pass or buy the characters seperately so that I can, you know, PLAY as the characters when they come out

So are MK fans, SamSho fans, Power Rangers fans, Soul Calibur fans, etc
them revealing or not revealing the whole pass doesn't change when the actually release the characters and when we actually get to buy and play with them. Whereas revealing the whole pass or not does impact how worthwhile or not specualting or discussing Smash Ultimate is.

I don't think Cosmic was actually trying to say that specualting is more importnat than gameplay.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is where Geno shines right now: he has the legacy in the Smash community, he has the support from both a loyal and active fanbase and from the lead dev himself, he's got all the weird things going on around him.
The first two things are the same and the last one is non-existent. Those things do not make any character a lock.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Where did I even mention speculation being more important than playing the game?

If you want all the characters to be revealed at once, that's fine. I'm just pointing out that conversation in the next two years would be restricted to six franchises and the characters repping them. This thread would struggle even more to carry a conversation than it already does.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Where did I even mention speculation being more important than playing the game?

If you want all the characters to be revealed at once, that's fine. I'm just pointing out that conversation in the next two years would be restricted to six franchises and the characters repping them. This thread would struggle even more to carry a conversation than it already does.
Or it would be all about how those characters are going to play and what content they'll bring, and speculation would turn to Smash 6, with every character back in play to discuss. Doesn't sound so bad to me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I read it as "Dripfeeding is better so we can speculate regardless of outcome" and as we've already gotten into a cycle of the same characters with weekly Geno and Nondescriptive Gen 8 Pokemon debates, it's not like this would be more lively than trying to pinpoint movesets, gameplans, stages, songs, costumes, details and more. We've also seen discussions become more lively when characters leaked as seen with Brave and the SNK trademark, which Nintendo tried recreating with the 3 month tease of ARMS. People who know about the characters get excited while those unfamiliar do some research, which helps discussion as people mostly get on the same page. Again, it sounds so much better than what we're already doing

ZelDan

Smash Master
Eh, speculation is speculation and whether it's about Ultimate FP2 or Smash 6, either is going to have positive discussion abot characters from excited people or negative discussion from whiny, entitled people, and both could end up having topics beaten to death (admittedly FP2 would naturally be more likely to have this happen when we know more about it and are familar about it). If geno doesn't end up happening in FP2 than I'm sure he'd be a huge point of contention in Smash 6 speculation, just as much as Pokemon talk would still probably happen a good bit because, you know, Pokemon; we are pretty used to the franchise getting the red carpet treatment in Smash and many would probably expect the same in the sequel.

I guess I don't really care either way? besides, it's not like both speculations couldn't still happen concurrently anyways; maybe not necessarily in the same thread but you know.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Eh, speculation is speculation and whether it's about Ultimate FP2 or Smash 6, either is going to have positive discussion abot characters from excited people or negative discussion from whiny, entitled people, and both could end up having topics beaten to death (admittedly FP2 would naturally be more likely to have this happen when we know more about it and are familar about it). If geno doesn't end up happening in FP2 than I'm sure he'd be a huge point of contention in Smash 6 speculation, just as much as Pokemon talk would still probably happen a good bit because, you know, Pokemon; we are pretty used to the franchise getting the red carpet treatment in Smash and many would probably expect the same in the sequel.

I guess I don't really care either way? besides, it's not like both speculations couldn't still happen concurrently anyways; maybe not necessarily in the same thread but you know.
I'll give you Geno, but I doubt that we'd be talking about Pokemon candidates for Smash 6 when it's so far off. We don't even know how many Pokemon games will come out between this Smash and the next. Discussion would boil down to "a Pokemon is probably coming" and move on to something more interesting.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'll give you Geno, but I doubt that we'd be talking about Pokemon candidates for Smash 6 when it's so far off. We don't even know how many Pokemon games will come out between this Smash and the next. Discussion would boil down to "a Pokemon is probably coming" and move on to something more interesting.
something more interesting, such as "a Mario character is likely", then after that we'd move on to the Smash speculation scene favorite of "a FE character is probably coming" :4pacman:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Speculation and dripfeeding keeps discussion alive, which keeps the game in the spotlight, which gets Nintendo more attention and sales. It's the same for their other ongoing games like Animal Crossing. I'd love to know whether the Pass is overall 'worth it' or not and just buy it or not but they need my salty tears all year long to oil their hype train.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai literally said to only buy the Fighters Pass IF you're confident in its value
None of you guys are forced to buy it yknow
If you buy it you get all the dlc, and you get to save five bucks.
And besides, it is much better for Nintendo to keep the discussion on the game alive during the entire dlc cycle instead of just narrowing it down the moment they announce season 2...
I'd rather get excited at multiple opportunities, even if they end up wrong, than having to talk about the same 6 characters for a year and a half.
Let's wait for the end of the dlc for that :p

D

Deleted member

With how much SEGA are trying to push Zavok, I only honestly wouldn't be surprised if he did end up being the next Sonic character. It would be like putting Rosalina in the game (which they already did), but at least she has a good game to back her up, all Zavok has is Sonic Lost World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom