• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How come?
For me it's just a combination of preferring other Kirby characters who would, in my opinion, have more interesting kits, and preferring other spear users since Waddle Dee's short limbs limit how much potential reach he'd have with his compared to someone like, Dimitri or Eric Lecarde.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I honestly don't want Ashley cause I have a distaste of her for some reason. But she could be quite unique indeed.
Same. Ashley's appeal lies in her being a tsundere, and the reason people like tsunderes is because of the dichotomy between their actions and what we know of them. That is to say, while they outwardly act like stuck-up assholes to just about everyone, we as audience members have the outsider context that she's secretly a sweetheart, which occasionally comes through in ways.

With Ashley, she is almost always a major ***** to everyone around her, up to and including her only friend. She's petulent, stubborn, and incredibly self-absorbed. This last point is echoed by her boisterous theme song that extols her and her capabilities with every verse in spite of her relative mundanity. I mean, she lives in a world that has brilliant inventors, bizarre aliens, and fat ******** that become superheroes when they consume garlic. She's nothing special, and constantly propping her up as though she is can be very annoying to people.

...? You mean Mike? Or... Penny?
Yes.

People just like her, dude. I think it has to do with her general popularity. The standoffish character who secretly wants to make friends is a popular archetype. Give that character a cute design and people will grow to like it.
I'm using a new copypasta, dude. Calm down.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For me it's just a combination of preferring other Kirby characters who would, in my opinion, have more interesting kits, and preferring other spear users since Waddle Dee's short limbs limit how much potential reach he'd have with his compared to someone like, Dimitri or Eric Lecarde.
Well to be fair long range isn't exactly a unique mechanic anymore. EDIT: I mean, just look at the arms race we have going on:
:ultike::ultshulk::ultcloud::ultsimon::ultbyleth:(ARMS)

Though I do think it's worth noting that Bandana Waddle Dee would likely become the first truly long ranged fighter that is also quite small. To be honest, it'd probably have more overall range due to its spear following the rule of cool and becoming as long as the devs feel like for whatever attack. I think this combination of traits would still make for a unique fighter even at it's most basic.

I do agree though, that the other Star Allies would be pretty wild.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so something interesting happened
Zhuge IS an insider right? He must know it’s one of these four...

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If we do get a WarioWare character, I sort of hope their moveset isn't serious.

Like, instead of getting Ashley who flies on her broom and casts magic spells, let's get a character whose moveset is literally just random microgames from the series. Let their down Smash be a giant hairy foot that stomps down, or how about a side special involving a hot dog car ramming into players.
Ehh I think having a character that uses moves that showcases who they are as a character works better than going 1:1 with the microgames. Don't get me wrong I think it would be cool if one or two microgames are referenced but it shouldn't be the whole focus of the moveset.

Like if we got Ashley for example, I think referencing her boss stage in Touched which is a miniature Earth that fires projectiles would be cool, it could work as one of her specials. But if her entire moveset is set around microgames then none of her characteristics get to shine. She's a witch that can cast spells so I think that should be reflected in her moveset as well.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Can we not create a fake rivalry between Bandana Dee and other Kirby characters like we did with Rex and Elma please and thank you.
Now that I think about it, it really is Bandana Dee VS. The World at this point.
The world of speculation, the world of potential fighters, and even the world of Kirby fans.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What about BOWSER's Castle, huh? At least Castle Dedede somewhat appeared in Dream Land GB.
Oh yeah I forgot Dream Land GB. Haven’t played in a while.

Bowser’s Castle is at least in the Paper Mario stage, but it kinda sucks in that stage, and yeah, as a Bowser fan, not having his castle as its own, good stage really sucks. Same with Dedede’s castle too.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
He's an insider and a joke-ster.

So yeah, thinking that he's joking around with the poll.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If Twintelle wasn't there, I'd say he's hinting at it being a Hero situation and he's going to pull a "Surprise! All 4 of these characters got confirmed, so the winner did become playable!" on Monday morning. However, I don't know how to square the circle of making Twintelle an alt when her hair serves as her arms instead of her... arms.

Plus, Zhuge only hinted at Byleth a few hours before his presentation. I think he's just stirring the pot for fun.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If he was leaking the character, I'm sure Nintendo would shut him down right away.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm pretty sure he's saying it's all four. :drshrug:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
BanDee to me is on a tier of "wanted Smash characters" on the same level as Toad and Waluigi; People insist they're needed for Smash because they're the "fourth most important character" when most of their appearances boil down to the games that usually feature a trio of characters needing a fourth for the multiplayer mode. It gives the impression to me at least that people want Bandana Waddle Dee not for his own qualities but to satiate their OCD by putting in a fourth slot in a otherwise perfectly complete triad.

Basically I'm apathetic towards them because they're roster filler to me, but I wouldn't despise them if they got in.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
What are people feelin' Mii Costume wise?

I'm thinkin' Hollow Knight.
Possibly a grab bag of random characters, one of which being a "premium" costume that comes with a music track. Maybe it will include Heihachi or the two Monster Hunter costumes, but I could easily see those being saved for a more relevant character (assuming they weren't held off to be playable characters later in the pass).

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
If we do get a WarioWare character, I sort of hope their moveset isn't serious.

Like, instead of getting Ashley who flies on her broom and casts magic spells, let's get a character whose moveset is literally just random microgames from the series. Let their down Smash be a giant hairy foot that stomps down, or how about a side special involving a hot dog car ramming into players.
I feel Mona would have a pretty wacky and varied moveset that could reference a ton of minigames, so i would be happy if she were to join Smash.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
BanDee to me is on a tier of "wanted Smash characters" on the same level as Toad and Waluigi; People insist they're needed for Smash because they're the "fourth most important character" when most of their appearances boil down to the games that usually feature a trio of characters needing a fourth for the multiplayer mode.
I don't people who want the characters want them for that reason. I'm admittedly not a fan of reducing people's wants to arbitrary reasons like this.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
yo here's a theory from a guy at a discord i'm in

"The truth is, zhuge doesn't know who the arms character is. He won't know until the poll concludes. This is because zhuge is secretly a part of twitter's test for their newest feature- scheduled polls that can alter the fabric of reality. That's right, he wasn't kidding when he said the winner of the poll will become the next fighter. Once the results come in, the sheer idea of the new fighter will be transmitted to Nintendo HQ, then sent directly into masahiro sakurai's brainwave."

that's right baby

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't people who want the characters want them for that reason. I'm admittedly not a fan of reducing people's wants to arbitrary reasons like this.
Yeah, this sentiment is starting to get thrown around a lot. We should probably chill out with it so that we don't make "you don't want the character, you just want [X ARBITRARY THING]" a commonplace argument.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Fun fact!

Since Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Bandana Waddle Dee has appeared in more Kirby games than Meta Knight.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Could you elaborate on that? I don't see how believing the mascot is obvious despite the recency of the series isn't justified, especially when Spring Man was a popular character during base game speculation.
Absolutely.

I'm just going to preface this by saying that I do think it's Spring Man that we're getting on Monday morning. That said, a majority of the conversation has branched out to other picks primarily because Spring Man is an Assist Trophy. We've never gotten an upgrade within the same game before, so him becoming a playable fighter AND an Assist Trophy would be the first one ever.

Combine this with the fact that there are possible alternatives, and you have yourself competition. Min-Min is a very popular pick, and Twintelle is certainly not far behind. Ribbon Girl is a co-cover star with Spring Man, and she's simply a Spirit and costume.

Despite all of this, I still personally look back at consistency with roster choices, and I see that every series started with the mascot or protagonist of their respective game. Based on marketing materials, it would appear that Spring Man has the edge. I do also get the feeling that while popularity is a factor that plays into character selection, it is not the biggest factor, nor is it the only factor.

Therefore, I personally suspect the pick is Spring Man, but it's not completely black and white that he's the runaway favorite of the bunch. Does that make more sense?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Just watched the Source Gaming poll results. While I've since forgotten who I voted for, I'm happy to see the following get into the top 50...
  • 39th - Heihachi
  • 34th - Professor Layton
  • 32nd - Sol Badguy
  • 31st - Monster Hunter
  • 25th - Dr. Eggman
  • 19th - Ryu Hayabusa
  • 18th - Rex & Pyra
  • 16th - Dixie Kong
  • 15th - Isaac
  • 12th - Waluigi
  • 10th - Phoenix Wright
  • 9th - Bandana Waddle Dee
  • 5th - Dante
  • 3rd - Doom Slayer
  • 2nd - Geno
  • 1st - Crash
Here's hoping at least a few of these end up being part of Fighters Pass 2.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Yeah, this sentiment is starting to get thrown around a lot. We should probably chill out with it so that we don't make "you don't want the character, you just want [X ARBITRARY THING]" a commonplace argument.
oh god i'm so glad we're starting to see the flaws in this argument

like no, karen, i don't just want spring man for upgrades nor do i only want bandana dee to have the player 4 or whatever and no i do not want takamaru just to have another retro, i legitimately like these characters and want to beat up a homer simpson mii as them for christ's sake
ETP39-8U4AA605-.jpg

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Seeing Bandana Dee and Reimu up so high was a pleasant surprise. Bandana Dee is a first-party in an era where speculation is slanted towards third-parties, and Touhou in general is pretty overlooked by the mainstream discussion, so seeing them so high up-And above big names like Waluigi and Shantae, no less!-Is a victory in my book. I'm also glad to see Klonoa even acknowledged; Any attention drawn to the little guy is pretty nice.

As for Crash, I dont get it, he's SOOOOO BORING compared to literally ANY other potential PlayStation character. Whats so much greater about a bandicoot, a NORMAL non magic embued bandicoot mind you compared to a god slaying warrior, a a gravity manipulator, or an cybord ninja wielding a sword, Like what makes Crash so "oh yeah I want HIM for Smash!"

But in all seriousness, good for him. Not someone I actively request for, but he sounds pretty fun.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Eeeeh. I dunno...If we're to take his words at face value, he's implying that all of them are going to be the fighter, and I can't see that happening. I think he's just having fun.
There is the Hero solution, maybe he's pointing to that? Though I don't even know if Twintelle could work as a Hero situation.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
When it comes to character inclusions; at this moment in time I’m open for anything. Back in Brawl, I bashed people who wanted Chief, Cloud, Toad, etc. In Smash 4, I was be lenient but I still was like “nah Bayonetta ain’t happening.”

Im at the point where it’s like “yeah let’s have Chief, Toad, Bandana Dee, Travis, Dante, Steve?, Scorpion, or even Goku.”

I just love seeing people get excited about characters they want and the love and attention Sakurai and his team pours into representing each character and their franchise. I will never hate on people for wanting a character. I may disagree but the days of going after people for supporting “x” character is gone.

That being said, I wanted to talk about how Sakurai went about this more recent announcement. I’m perfectly fine with ARMS and Spring Man was on my wish list/prediction roster before launch. However, stringing is along since March over “which ARMS character is it?” is going to backfire. I am 100% confident that this would have been better received had they done with “Which Capcom/Namco/Western/Square/Sega/etc character will join?”

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
oh god i'm so glad we're starting to see the flaws in this argument

like no, karen, i don't just want spring man for upgrades nor do i only want bandana dee to have the player 4 or whatever and no i do not want takamaru just to have another retro, i legitimately like these characters and want to beat up a homer simpson mii as them for christ's sake
View attachment 275453
Here's the thing, even if you did want those characters for that reason.

What's the problem with that?

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Twintelle wouldn’t work with a Hero situation. At all.
I don't see how changing the models slightly is a problem. It's not like the hero alts or the koopalings were just recolored hero or bowser jr. They have unique models which require work to animate and everything. They can just change up animations with Twintelle while keeping the moves the same.
Not that I want Twintelle. Honestly, I'd be prefectly ok without this character.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I dont get it, he's SOOOOO BORING compared to literally ANY other potential anime character. Whats so much greater about a Saiyan, a NORMAL non-Earthling karate alien mind you compared to a giant military robot, a high school student with psychic powers named after music, or a green ogre voiced by the fat guy from Austin Powers, like what makes Goku so "oh yeah I want HIM for Smash!"

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I almost fell for this ****ing copypasta a second time...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I dont get it, he's SOOOOO BORING compared to literally ANY other potential anime character. Whats so much greater about a Saiyan, a NORMAL non-Earthling karate alien mind you compared to a giant military robot, a high school student with psychic powers named after music, or a green ogre voiced by the fat guy from Austin Powers, like what makes Goku so "oh yeah I want HIM for Smash!"
Are we allowed to spread this beyond SmashBoards? I want to see this copypasta become a fandom-wide meme. Please, I want to see it happen.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
While certain aspects of characters are present for characters I want, the idea of Kirby Hats for Goku, Scorpion, Heihachi, and Doomslayer is enough for me to throw in support. Hearing Kirby say “Kamehameha” or “Get over here” while also seeing Kirby with Heihachi’s eyebrows, mustache, and hair is epic. And seeing Kirby pull out a Super Shotgun with a space marine helmet is simply amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom