• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Since me and the boys were humoring it, what's the consensus on him?

View attachment 230541

If you don't know, Jonesy is his name. Fortnite was a single-player campaign shooter before it developed the battle royale mode its most known for. He is an actual character with lore, and he's basically the Heavy of the series from what I understand.
Even if he had the most interesting backstory and a cool personality, I would still say no. His game is terrible (and everything that's wrong with video games since it's more mainstream) and he looks like an idiot. He's also a litteral charisma vacuum.
Come on, he's so generic that he could be a Disney character

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Even if he had the most interesting backstory and a cool personality, I would still say no. His game is terrible (and everything that's wrong with video games since it's more mainstream) and he looks like an idiot. He's also a litteral charisma vacuum.
Understandable opinions, but not so understandable objective reasoning to not include him. The only thing I see really going against him is that Fortnite is super new compared to the rest of the competition. Everything else it has is down to a tee. The Fortnite toolkit is admittedly diverse, it isn't difficult to create a moveset unlike most others. We don't know how long Fortnite will continue to last either.

I think he's very doable, but people are just overexposed to Fortnite what with little kids going crazy over the game and all. That doesn't stop him, but I guarantee a character trailer on youtube would get 10 gajillion dislikes. :4jigglypuff:

StormC

Smash Hero
Is Fortnite even that popular in Japan? I know it has some success but I don't think it's much.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Woah woah, what Disney characters we talking about, here? Also that's not how you use literally?

Klimax

Smash Ace
Most of the characters from their recent movies. Since they do CGI stuff, the movie all look the freakin' same and everything is now lame.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
'Cuz you know; Stitch, Scar, Woody, Ursula, a literal piece of cardboard...What's the difference!

/sarcasm

...(Why do I get the feeling you were talking about modern Disney characters?)
EDIT: Ah, you were. There's still something to be said about that but this isn't the place for it.

He's also a litteral charisma vacuum.
I dunno, I thought the Fortnite characters looked pretty lively. Heck they're probably a lot livelier than Byleth at least.

Note: I'm mostly just commenting on what you're saying, I don't have any desire to see a Fortnite character in the game.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Next two dlc characters is Sakurai honoring defunct publishers like Taito and Hudson.

And using Bub and Bob from Taito and Bonk from Hudson.

This has a 0.0000002 percent probability, but I am going to hope for that two in a billion chance.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Next two dlc characters is Sakurai honoring defunct publishers like Taito and Hudson.

And using Bub and Bob from Taito and Bonk from Hudson.

This has a 0.0000002 percent probability, but I am going to hope for that two in a billion chance.
I think someone mentioned SquareEnix owning Bubble Bobble. If that's the case then there is 0 chance of them getting in even as a cameo.

I wouldn't mind having adorable bubble dragons in my smash game though.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 230541

If you don't know, Jonesy is his name. Fortnite was a single-player campaign shooter before it developed the battle royale mode its most known for. He is an actual character with lore, and he's basically the Heavy of the series from what I understand.
ngl, Epic Games would probably pay Nintendo to put a Fortnite character in Smash with how much money they rake in from that game alone.

I'm not in favor of Smash Bros x Fortnite though. It's like FNAF where its presence is certainly huge to a lot of people but the idea of putting an actual character in Smash is just not for my tastes. I would also talk about the lack of actual memorable soundtracks from Fortnite since there's no actual music playing in a match, but given the amount of songs FF has in Smash, it's probably a nonissue.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think someone mentioned SquareEnix owning Bubble Bobble. If that's the case then there is 0 chance of them getting in even as a cameo.

I wouldn't mind having adorable bubble dragons in my smash game though.
Yeah, ownership is weird.

People say Namco owns Dark Souls when they really don't, and a lot of people don't know Square Enix owns the best JRPG of all: Cooking Mama.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

View attachment 230541

If ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are too new, so is Fortnite being an ultra-mainstream game.

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
I would argue that Klonoa feels more deserving, Especially after Banjo (Who's been dead for just as long if not longer) got in... but I don't want to seem like I'm promoting propaganda for my own thread or whatever.

Wouldn't even be complaining about Tales if Pac-Man were:

A. Still being used properly as a franchise outside of Smash
or
B. I had some smidget of World representation in Smash. (The U-Air doesn't count, nearly half the roster has similar U-airs. I doubt it was an intentional reference.)

...But alas, Namco has been absolutely terrible with their so-claimed "flagship franchise" as of late.
NGL
I have never seen Kloanoa mentioned at all outside of Smash Crusade and the rare plea for him here.

I hate to be rude but if we are getting another 90's Platformer character it would surefire be Crash. Heck, if we are getting a non-Crash platformer my money would def go elsewhere.

Tho as a Hat Kid supporter, I applaud your decision to support another obscure platformer character in this Post-Banjo world we live in.

View attachment 230541

Honestly
If Sakuri makes a great moveset for him, I wouldn't care at all
Shows us that Sakuri does care about American interests (if Ridley, Rool, Simon, and Banjo weren't enough), a shooter is not impossible, a recent game is not impossible, etc
It would surefire bring attention to smash amongst the Youngsters, even if it's just "cringe!!!1!" for the most part.
It would be icing on the cake if he could do the Default Dance- imagine getting 3-stocked by this ugly mf and he fortnite dances on you
I'm not even a fortnite fan and i support him more than I do most popular choices

D

Deleted member

Wow, feels more chaotic here today than usual. Thought was the social.

Anyways, lets see just for fun... I feel we're getting either Jill from RE and Yuri from Vesperia, something like the Dragonborn from Skyrim and KOS-MOS, or Lara Croft and Phoenix Wright :b

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You seem to be confusing disney girl face for dreamworks face.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are too new, so is Fortnite being an ultra-mainstream game.
DLC was likely chosen around the time we learned Ultimate existed. Given that Banjo was negotiated in April 2018, Fortnite definitely wouldn't be too new. Hell, it'd only be a few months younger than Dragon Quest 11. The Battle Royale mode got 10 million active players in the first two weeks, and by April was very likely already talking with Nintendo to bring it to Switch, given its E3 reveal had been leaked a few weeks prior.

I'll be frank here. Rex and Pyra were too late for the base game, but were probably never even seriously considered for DLC.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune

Anyways, lets see just for fun... I feel we're getting either Jill from RE and Yuri from Vesperia, something like the Dragonborn from Skyrim and KOS-MOS, or Lara Croft and Phoenix Wright :b
Lara Croft is owned by Square (if im not mistaken), and I don't think Nintendo would even bother licensing another character owned by SE.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Yup, Square bought Eidos so they own all their IPs such as Tomb Raider, Gex and Legacy of Kain.
Only exception to this is Hitman, as IO requested to go self publish the IP after the poor sales figures of the Hitman episodes.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

Who is KOS-MOS and why do I see them everywhere? They seem like a nonsensical choice compared to characters that have more relavency and popularity for DLC to get people to buy the character.

Edit: that came off as really negative, especially for people that support the character I just don't see the appeal for the character when their are better choices, she seems like a Geno with how relevant she is but without the fan support.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Who is KOS-MOS and why do I see them everywhere? They seem like a dumb choice for DLC to get people to buy the character.
She's a very important character within the Xeno...gears? series. It along with Xenosaga are tangentially related to the Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X series.

EDIT: She seems more like a base roster character to me.

Last edited:

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman

People say Namco owns Dark Souls when they really don't, and a lot of people don't know Square Enix owns the best JRPG of all: Cooking Mama.
Bubble Bobble is © Taito (subsidiary of Square Enix)
Dark Souls is © Namco Bandai Games Inc.
Cooking Mama is © Office Create (which is now Cooking Mama Limited)

You guys need to check your intellectual property ownerships.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

View attachment 230541

**** no.
well when I use the quote [so they never be in smash], I mean Sony forcing several companies(singing their character contracts to only psasbr 2, threating to drop studio support etc.) to put their third party characters to be on psasbr 2 instead of smash just so Sony can make money off of it the wrong way.
Nobody would take such a deal, they'd have to be insane.

Funny, none of what you just said is true.

D

Deleted member

Who is KOS-MOS and why do I see them everywhere? They seem like a dumb choice for DLC to get people to buy the character.

Edit: that came off as really negative, especially for people that support the character I just don't see the appeal for the character when their are better choices, she seems like a Geno with how relevant she is but without the fan support.
That really sounds kinda jerkish for a comment I posted as just for fun. Its a character for a series I like and just seemed like a fun combination with the Dragonborn just because of how one was a Sci-Fi anime android and the other a fantasy barbarian.

Please refrain of making rude comments especially because I doubt you like people ****ting on a character you like.
Lara Croft is owned by Square (if im not mistaken), and I don't think Nintendo would even bother licensing another character owned by SE.
They already got 2 SE characters, and while a third one is unlikely, theres nothing to say another one is impossible.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't Enix own Office Create tho

And doesn't WayForward make Dark Souls, unless Namco owns that too?

Sure was true for me like for the last forever ago.
Lay off the crack pipe, bro. Office Create is completely independent and Wayforward has absolutely nothing to do with with any of the Soulsborne games.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
That really sounds kinda jerkish for a comment I posted as just for fun. Its a character for a series I like and just seemed like a fun combination with the Dragonborn just because of how one was a Sci-Fi anime android and the other a fantasy barbarian.

Please refrain of making rude comments especially because I doubt you like people ****ting on a character you like.

They already got 2 SE characters, and while a third one is unlikely, theres nothing to say another one is impossible.
Sorry if it came off that way but I just wanted to know why people want to see this character and if they had any reasons as to why KOS-MOS would come to smash ultimate. Just because I don't understand the draw of the character doesn't mean its a bad choice it just means someone needs to educate me as to why KOS-MOS is a good choice for smash.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
StormC StormC

Fortnite is extremely popular among the elementary and especially junior high crowd. I saw a rise in players especially when it came out on the Switch. If I was to ask any random student “Do you play video games?” And then say “Yes”. Almost always they will say “I play Fortnite” if I ask them which games.

It’s very popular.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Xenogears is a JRPG right? if it's like it's spiritual successors then that's a yes from what I know

on a different topic, guys...

Assuming being in a genre given new reps in the base roster/dlc thus far is a deconfirmation (so metroidvania chars would be out bc Ridley, Dark Samus, Belmonts are here, platformers are out bc Daisy, Plant, Rool, and Banjo, etc), which notable characters would have been deconfirmed?

(this is entirely hypothetical, do not take it serious!!!)

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Just to let people know...

Regardless where you stand on the issue, we do not allow for drugs-related discussion and/or images. It’s Smashboards policy that this includes marijuana. Please curb the marijuana talk and continued messaging/posting of images will result in infractions

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just to let people know...

Regardless where you stand on the issue, we do not allow for drugs-related discussion and/or images. It’s Smashboards policy that this includes marijuana. Please curb the marijuana talk and continued messaging/posting of images will result in infractions
yeah but venus you just absolutely decimated my redemption arc of me realizing i said wayforward instead of fromsoftware

now i'll look like a fool forever

StormC StormC

Fortnite is extremely popular among the elementary and especially junior high crowd. I saw a rise in players especially when it came out on the Switch. If I was to ask any random student “Do you play video games?” And then say “Yes”. Almost always they will say “I play Fortnite” if I ask them which games.

It’s very popular.
Is his name Jonesy too or is it something else?

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
yeah but venus you just absolutely decimated my redemption arc of me realizing i said wayforward instead of fromsoftware

now i'll look like a fool forever

Is his name Jonesy too or is it something else?
Yep, it’s ジョンジー

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think of William from Nioh? he would definitely be a cool surprise character, altrough not sure if he's a videogame character?

Freduardo

Smash Champion

Basically the Xeno series got three owners.

Xenogears on PS1 was made by square and is a legendary jrpg. Kos Mos was not in that.

Xenosaga 1-3 were on ps2 and made by namco. They continued the story because the team left square. They had Kos Mos as a lead character.

Xenoblade 1-2/chronicles X are made by monolithsoft for nintendo. Kos Mos was unlockable in 2. Because nintendo and namco get along.

She also was used as a heavy namco mascot for a while during the ps2 era and appeared in both project x zone games.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
My Guesses:

Jill Valentine (w Leon Alt/Echo). Have a feeling that “Jane” was actually Jill for some reason and the Smash team was starting the project using another character as a base - like Joker. Good relationship bn companies, cherished/iconic franchise, promotes selling the 6 different RE ports on switch.

Doom Slayer. In an interview w Metro Pete Hines said Nintendo talked to them about Smash Bros...this was in September before smash was even released. Doomguy is the icon that popularized the FPS genre as we know it. DLC character ties into Doom Eternal Marketing/release.

Other Reps I feel have a chance if not the two above:

Heihatchi/KOS-MOS from Namco. Heihatchi is pretty high profile and was considered for Sm4sh. KOS-MOS could represent Namco and JRPGs in a way other than fantasy. Shes appeared in xenosaga, xenoblade chronicles 2 and other various Namco games. Her appearance in Chronicles 2 helps Nintendo promote their own property and a third party company at the same time. Plus, we have already seen the companies work with one another to license her character out. (Downside is she is not super well known, but would def be a unique and fresh character)

Crash. Activision seems to be really supporting switch and Crash has had quite the resurgence. DK and Bowser were in Skylanders so we know the companies have worked in licensing agreements previously.

Ryu Hyabusa. Tecmo character and represents classic ties on the NES. Tecmo recently helped w FE 3 Houses.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
T. Someone who hasn’t played Fortnite or has seen a recent Disney movie.

I don’t want Fortnite in Smash, but it’s objectively not terrible. It’s a fine game, I played it for a little bit last year & had some good times.

Everyone who acts like it’s terrible just hates it because it’s a popular MP game as people did with Call of Duty & Minecraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom