• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
My Guesses:

Jill Valentine (w Leon Alt/Echo). Have a feeling that “Jane” was actually Jill for some reason and the Smash team was starting the project using another character as a base - like Joker. Good relationship bn companies, cherished/iconic franchise, promotes selling the 6 different RE ports on switch.
From memory Jane was a code for one of Jokers alt costumes, my guess was Jane was an acronym,
J - Joker
A - Academia/ Academy
N - ???
E - ???
dunno about N and E but some japanese words for uniform or clothing would be my guess

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
Here's something I've never seen brought up before:

I wonder if Gamefreak would have any qualms with Yokai Watch or Digimon being included in Smash alongside Pokemon?

While Yo Kai Watch is now on a sharp decline in popularity, it still managed to steal the spotlight from Pokemon for at least a year. And possibly influenced things like the Sun&Moon anime's art direction and the creation of Z-Moves.

A year is not very long at all in a big company's eyes I'm sure, but we know that Nintendo had more of a say in what characters ended up in the Fighters Pass than usual; I wonder if Gamefreak (who Nintendo doesn't fully own) would request Nintendo to prevent a character from their biggest rival from appearing in the same game as Pokemon?

As for Digimon, I'll admit I know nothing about the series these days. I don't know if Digimon and Pokemon even compete for the same demographic anymore. But the rivalry sure seemed fierce on 90's playgrounds!
Digimon is possible.

But Yokai Watch will not be in smash for a reason: it originated from a Manga, even through the game was anounced first Sakurai probably counts it as a manga character, so not happening.

Klimax

Smash Ace
You seem to be confusing disney girl face for dreamworks face.
Not at all, all of their recent movies just look the same with the ugly CG. You don't have real diversity in their art directions anymore.

Not exactly recent....
The fact is that unless you saw this video, you probably wouldn't realize it. And since it's only really short moments, you don't care. It's not like having the same art direction recycled over and over.

T. Someone who hasn’t played Fortnite or has seen a recent Disney movie.

I don’t want Fortnite in Smash, but it’s objectively not terrible. It’s a fine game, I played it for a little bit last year & had some good times.

Everyone who acts like it’s terrible just hates it because it’s a popular MP game as people did with Call of Duty & Minecraft.
I saw the recent Disney movies, they're just bad, especially Frozen and Big Hero 6. Tangled was the last good one I saw and it came out something like 10 years ago. Then it was Treasure Planet and it came out in 2002.

I had the displeasure to play Fortnite a couple of times because my gf was into it. It's basically ****. These weapons make you feel nothing at all (you don't get this feeling that you're using some strong weapons). Art direction sucks. RNG sucks. The only good thing that Fornite has is the building mechanics. I don't even have to talk about the community (the game is not entirely responsible for it) or micro transactions (since you can have the same in game experience without buying anything), the game is already bad enough.
Also there's pop culture references everywhere and it's just cringe. It lacks real identity (and the fact that they changed the game entirely when they saw how battle royal were popular is a good proof of that), that's also one of the main reasons why it doesn't belong to Smash.

"you don't like it because it's popular" is still a thing ? I recall Undertale being popular and still being a great game. Minecraft is great. Call Of Duty had some great games.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Even thought Banjo is in the game, and is a western character, I feel like he's not a character that dominantly caters to western audiences like The Hero does for japanese audiences. If anything, the equivalent to The Hero is Ridley and/or Dark Samus because Japan doesn't care for Metroid at all. So it's hard for me to see Sakurai putting in a character that caters dominantly to western audiences like Doomslayer, even though he could be interesting in terms of playstyle.

If we got two more echo fighters as a bonus (which I don't think we'll get), I'd have to guess Kasumi as a Joker echo (I don't think Sakurai wants to let that Persona 5 chain go just yet) and Dixie Kong.

Klimax

Smash Ace
They should put Crash Bandicoot in the game. He's popular everywhere in the world and is a perfect fit for Smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Digimon is possible.

But Yokai Watch will not be in smash for a reason: it originated from a Manga, even through the game was anounced first Sakurai probably counts it as a manga character, so not happening.
If that was the case, then Lucario shouldn't be in Smash either because it originated in an anime movie (Lucario & The Mystery of Mew).

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
If that was the case, then Lucario shouldn't be in Smash either because it originated in an anime movie (Lucario & The Mystery of Mew).
The diference is that Pokemon debuted as a videogame, the Yokai Franchise itself debuted as a manga even if it was just an add to promote the videogame it still counts.

The only Level-5 franchises that debuted as a videogame are Layton and Ni No Kuni.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The diference is that Pokemon debuted as a videogame, the Yokai Franchise itself debuted as a manga even if it was just an add to promote the videogame it still counts.

The only Level-5 franchises that debuted as a videogame are Layton and Ni No Kuni.
what about Dark Cloud? Though technically that's Playstation 2 exclusive... still waiting on DC3 don't @ me

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

What was the time gap between the manga and the game?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
We have no reason to believe it does. And we have no reason to believe Sakurai considers it a manga series. Level 5 is a video game company. Level-5 said when they announce Yo-kai watch for the first time that it was a video game series that would be supplemented by anime and manga.
https://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/14/youkai-watch-is-another-new-level-5-franchise/
"Level-5 has announced a new game."

The very first thing about it, was it being a game.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
"you don't like it because it's popular" is still a thing ? I recall Undertale being popular and still being a great game. Minecraft is great. Call Of Duty had some great games.
It most definitely is still a thing, and those three games you just listed are prime examples of games that got massive hate for being too popular. It's alright to not like a game as long as you played it and experienced it for yourself, every human being has their own opinions after all. Unfortunately there's a huge number of people who will preemptively judge a game without playing it and hate it just because it's popular.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What do you guys think of William from Nioh? he would definitely be a cool surprise character, altrough not sure if he's a videogame character?
William would be cool. Despite being inspired by "Soulsborne" games, Nioh's style of combat looks a lot faster paced than Dark Souls which I find to fit more in tune with how Smash is played than the games it's actually inspired by.

Again, just because William is based off of his real life counterpart (except for the part where TN made him Irish) doesn't mean Nioh should be ruled out from potentially being in Smash. It's not like it's a licensed game owned by Shonen Jump and Funimation; Nioh is its own actual property with characters that existed in real life from a certain period of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Even thought Banjo is in the game, and is a western character, I feel like he's not a character that dominantly caters to western audiences like The Hero does for japanese audiences. If anything, the equivalent to The Hero is Ridley and/or Dark Samus because Japan doesn't care for Metroid at all. So it's hard for me to see Sakurai putting in a character that caters dominantly to western audiences like Doomslayer, even though he could be interesting in terms of playstyle.

If we got two more echo fighters as a bonus (which I don't think we'll get), I'd have to guess Kasumi as a Joker echo (I don't think Sakurai wants to let that Persona 5 chain go just yet) and Dixie Kong.
Could they do Tails as a Ken-level Echo? Maybe couple more specials, replace some of the Sonic's legs attacks with tail attacks? It could serve as Tails imitating his idol whilst still showcasing his ability in his recovery and several attacks?

Also, if DLC was decided starting around April 2018 or whatever, when we only just knew Ultimate was a thing, does that lend some futility in the campaigning for certain characters ever since that period?

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Would people be disappointed if more reps came in from existing franchies? I'm not adding FE into the mix. On top of this it's not possible to get more existing reps until whatever Smash Ultimate sequel? And like...isn't there any other games Nintendo hasn't used at all yet in Smash or no?

I'll step down now. My pessimism is disgusting to everyone. Everything has been...a roller coaster of reluctance for me as of late.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Would people be disappointed if more reps came in from existing franchies? I'm not adding FE into the mix. On top of this it's not possible to get more existing reps until whatever Smash Ultimate sequel? And like...isn't there any other games Nintendo hasn't used at all yet in Smash or no?

I'll step down now. My pessimism is disgusting to everyone. Everything has been...a roller coaster of reluctance for me as of late.
I for one would be excited if Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bandana Dee, or Black Shadow made it in

StormC

Smash Hero

My most wanted are Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee, so not at all.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I wouldn't be disappointed. I am heavily aboard the Elma train, and characters like Cranky Kong, Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Chibi-Robo, and more all excite me.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I have a random feeling that the final DLC character's Classic route will have them fight all of the DLC characters including a horde battle with Hero and himself/herself in a mirror match before the final boss(maybe a DLC boss to tie in the theme).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have a random feeling that the final DLC character's Classic route will have them fight all of the DLC characters including a horde battle with Hero and himself/herself in a mirror match before the final boss(maybe a DLC boss to tie in the theme).
Maybe. So far I'm not convinced Classic Mode will feature any DLC characters other than the one being played as, considering their possible unavailability to people who haven't bought them.

I don't believe any modes in Smash 4 incorporated unbought characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Maybe. So far I'm not convinced Classic Mode will feature any DLC characters other than the one being played as, considering their possible unavailability to people who haven't bought them.

I don't believe any modes in Smash 4 incorporated unbought characters.
Doesn't Smash 4 let you play others online who had DLC even if you didn't>

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, but it'd be pretty ****ed up if it didn't. Even Nintendo recognizes that.

I think the line gets drawn at the point they get assimilated into your game, as opposed to you interacting with someone else's. It's not like Cloud/Ryu/etc. got added to All-Star even if you didn't buy them.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Would not be disappointed at all. Still plenty of good Nintendo choices from franchises already in Smash.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Ultimate also lets you fight against DLC even if you don’t have it.... but that’s multiplayer, it wouldn’t make sense to split the playerbase based on who shelled out for what.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This is correct. In Smash 4, players could battle online against characters that you haven't bought, although you won't face them in Classic or All-Star mode, for example, until you buy them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yep. All the data for new fighters, stages, music, spirits, and Mii costumes comes with the patches. When you buy DLC in the Eshop. you're buying lines of code that tell the game to give you the relevant content.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You can only play against DLC fighters or their stage online if you haven't bought them, that seems to be the only exception for them. Even when it comes to spirits, you can only purchase them from the in game shop. You can't fight them unless you purchased the given DLC character themselves.

So you can't fight any Persona Spirits unless you purchased Joker, but you can buy them from the in game shop.

I wouldn't expect any future spirits or classic mode runs that involves you fighting a cpu Joker or playing on his stage if that's the case, etc.

At least if I understood correctly on how DLC characters are handled.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm not sure it would make much sense to do this. It could work thematically for characters like Dante or Master Chief, but if it was something like Chibi Robo...

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
At this point:
There are barely any first-party characters that would have me jumping for joy. But there also aren't many potential first-party characters that I would significantly dislike either.

But for third-party characters, there are a fair amount that would make me super happy, and a larger amount that I would at least have a lot of respect for. But there are also a lot that I just wouldn't care about at all. And a smallish chunk that I would... really hate to be honest.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

There are definitely still some existing-series Nintendo characters I'd like to see. Waluigi, Captain Toad, Daruk, and a pretty huge list of Pokémon and Fire Emblem characters.

Most of these pretty much have no chance at all this time around, but I'd still like to see them.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Not at all. But in this very DLC, I'd rather have characters from new franchises. If they want to make more Passes or first-party characters later down the line, fine by me.

D

Deleted member

There are some cool characters from existing franchises that I would like to see like Rex, Elma or Dixie first party-wise and Chun-Li, Sephiroth, Dragonlord or Alucard third party-wise.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I'd be absolutely delighted. Nintendo franchises are my favorites and there's some glaring omissions in the first party department. But I don't expect it to happen.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I think I'm probably the first person here who would rather the crossover gets bigger than arming any given series with more characters. I've gone back and forth on what constitutes representation in proper, but at least for now I think that all representation is representation, and that while being a Fighter is technically a bigger honor since you will see use 24/7 all of the time, the fact is that once a series has one, it still has the one at least. So other characters getting "lesser" representation (Assists, Spirits, Trophies, Stickers, possibly Bosses, or even Stage elements on occasion) is still representation. Meanwhile, any series that isn't in at all is straight up nonexistent. Metal Gear completely imploded out of Smash 4, while to give a current example right now, it's as if Crash Bandicoot, Digimon, Tomb Raider or Devil May Cry never existed as far as Smash is concerned.

I want that number to go down. I'd prefer them to be Fighters as well, especially titans like the games I mentioned, but many other games like Puyo Puyo/Madou Monogatari, Undertale, Scribblenauts, Ace Attorney, Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts, Halo, Minecraft, and many, many more would have ludicrous amounts of people clamouring for them to join.

I have only been mentioning third-parties so far since, as I consider all representation representation, basically every first-party series worth mentioning is in (also why I didn't mention Shovel Knight, Shantae, Rayman, Tales, Tekken, and Monster Hunter). Still, many want to see Golden Sun, Panel de Pon, Nintendo Wars, Sin & Punishment, and several more Nintendo series join the fight.

Conversely. Many people would love to see a non-Sakurai (Bandana Dee I think counts as non-Sakurai, at least in spirit) Kirby character, or a non-Triforce Zelda character, or a non-sword Fire Emblem character, or Yoshi and Falcon to not be all alone. And I get that. I want a third version of Mario (one who would play absolutely nothing like him, but is still technically a Mario variant, think Samus/Zamus). But I think expanding the crossover is overall the better way, because that's a smile, a sign of love to people who will now be interested. It's a shout-out to passages of gaming history. And for my inner capitalist (read: if I were to remove the emotional aspect and rely solely on the financial one), it'll get people who are fans of those series to purchase (potentially) Nintendo consoles and (definitely) Smash copies, possibly including DLC, just to see a model with a bunch of data hit another one.

Assuming the repped series newcomers get the works (a stage, spirits, and possibly Assists/items, plus a good selection of music) then I'd be somewhat let down that they put that effort into a series with characters, over a series without. If they don't get that much content, then I'd probably be fine with it considering that a new series not getting that would be kinda lame.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I'm an idiot an accidentally posted this in the Dixie thread thinking I was here somehow lmao, but I have a question for you all.

So, not to harp on a topic that no one else is really talking about but, to what extent are you guys familiar with/aware of the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons series of games? I ask because I've been thinking about the series as it relates to Smash recently and I've realized that I actually have no idea how the general gaming public perceives the games at all. I've been playing them since I was a kid so basically I've always known of and enjoyed them and consequently all of my friends are at least familiar with them. Are most people familiar with the series or no? I know it's fairly niche in terms of player base, but I guess I'm wondering more about esteem.

All of this because i have a bit of a conspiracy theory brewing in my head about Story of Seasons content in Smash. But of course I'm biased lol

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think I'm probably the first person here who would rather the crossover gets bigger than arming any given series with more characters.
Actually I think you’re in the majority on that, whereas people like myself are in the minority (would rather have a few more first party characters). At least in this thread, as it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom