• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
As long as the system it's on isn't garbage, the next Smash game will probably sell a ton of copies, even if the roster is cut to 20. Every Smash game has sold well. Brawl sold well, and its gameplay is ****. 4, 5, and 6 have sold well, and their gameplay still isn't as good as Melee's. People like beating up Luigi with Captain Falcon, and they like having whatever the newest game is.
I don't think that's a fair comparison. Brawl and Smash 4 are still fun games to play casually and that's what the majority of people who purchase Smash cares about. Not being as competitively "good" as Melee will never harm the sales of any Smash game in a significant way because that's not how Smash sells. Smash sells itself with its characters so yeah, casuals will care if their favorite characters are cut with no meaningful compensation.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't think that's a fair comparison. Brawl and Smash 4 are still fun games to play casually and that's what the majority of people who purchase Smash cares about. Not being as competitively "good" as Melee will never harm the sales of any Smash game in a significant way because that's not how Smash sells. Smash sells itself with its characters so yeah, casuals will care if their favorite characters are cut with no meaningful compensation.
That's a good point.

However, unless Smash 7's gameplay is a dumpster fire, the competitive community will likely move on. The online gameplay will almost certainly be better. There are a bunch of reasons Smash 7 will probably sell well, even with 75% of the roster cut.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
All this talk of cuts means nothing to me since I was one of those unimpressed with "Everyone is Here!" when it first got revealed. Smash 4 made some horrible decisions on who to cut, bringing the cut characters back merely masks the problem Smash 4 had with its roster. Sure, this automatically puts Ultimate higher than 4 to me, but I don't think this makes the roster in Ultimate so high and mighty.

And as an addendum, are we even supposed to be referencing future cuts here? That isn't gonna happen for a while if Ultimate's DLC run is anything to go by.

Shroob

Sup?
That's a good point.

However, unless Smash 7's gameplay is a dumpster fire, the competitive community will likely move on. The online gameplay will almost certainly be better. There are a bunch of reasons Smash 7 will probably sell well, even with 75% of the roster cut.
>They think Nintendo will somehow figure out good online
>After like almost 15 years of them trying and failing constantly

I got a bridge I'm willing to sell ya.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

The year is 2090.

Every fighting game uses rollback, Tekken uses it, ArcSys made it their new standard and every fighting game rerelease has been given rollback like the Steam port of Garou.

Nintendo's servers still lag for at least 10 seconds when playing with 4 people in the same general area

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So.

Will we get Smash news this week?
My guess is any day now we'll get an announcement for a Sakurai Presentation happening sometime within the following days and we will be promised the ARMS character reveal at his presentation.

I get the feeling that any FP7 reveal that could have potentially been planned alongside the ARMS character at E3 will be held back for now and we will only get what was publicly promised to us being the ARMS character for now.

Staarih

Smash Master
So.

Will we get Smash news this week?
I have a hunch this week will be the week, even with all the ”but Pokémon DLC!!” cries. The ARMS anniversary tomorrow would seem like such a perfect opportunity for Smash news, even just a reveal or something, but then again, this is Nintendo we’re talking about.

It’s something like 3-4 hours from now that Nintendo typically begins posting stuff so we’ll see how this week begins.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, I'm in no real rush to when the ARMs character gets shown. Including today, and excluding Saturday/Sunday, this month only has 12 business days left, so, it's not that long of a wait regardless of what happens.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't think whatever the next Smash Bros game is going to be, it'll have to be a total reboot. It'll just have to have some big selling points - be it a flashy new story mode, a killer newcomer selection or just an extreme amount of polish. Sakurai is a huge overachiever so if he comes back I can't imagine the veteran roster being cut down that much, but its hard to say what will happen if a new developer takes his place.

As for which characters get cut, it's hard to say because all characters have their merits. I think the most likely too go are characters from franchises who already have a lot of characters (:ultmario::ultpikachu::ultmarth:), characters who are difficult to develop (:ultpokemontrainer: my main :(, though he could be saved by popularity) or clones who are duplicates of existing characters (:ultdoc::ultpichu::ultyounglink:). This prediction isn't baseless - traditionally these types of characters have been the only cuts we've seen in Smash. Mewtwo and Roy in Brawl were probably lower priority since their respective franchises had more then one character each, Doctor Mario and Pichu were probably cut for being filler "easy clones" of Mario/Pikachu, and in Smash 4 we saw Icies and PT cut due to technical limitations (granted I don't see technical limitations being a problem going forward, but resource consumption might be).

On the other hand I think fan favorites and characters who are the sole representatives of their franchises will have a little extra buffer protecting them from cuts. :ultfalcon: is a cut I often see speculated and I just can't see that happening because he's so popular and is our only F-Zero fighter, even if F-Zero isn't being pushed by Nintendo. He also has a really simple, no-gimmick moveset.

But for the time being, I think I'm going to focus on appreciating the game we've got. I'm a big Pokemon and Fire Emblem fan so I'm not excited to see who from those franchises might get cut. And hey, even if Smash Brothers 6 Featuring Funky from the Knuckles May Cry series has a terribly mutilated roster, I'll always be able to go back to Ultimate when I wind up in the mood for some veteran fighter action. I'm feeling open-minded to whatever a future Smash Brothers game has in store.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
We have the mario bros in this game, but we don’t have the smash bros in this game. I think after the arms character, we should have the smash bros be the next dlc character

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as cuts, I just have a set of characters I really hope don't get cut, and that I don't think should get cut. Obviously the latter is mostly for first parties since third parties understandably have more rights issues and that's understandable if it caused someone to get cut.

But if Chrom gets cut I just won't buy the next game tbh. I save sixty bucks and Ultimate is still around. Win-win. :p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As far as cuts, I just have a set of characters I really hope don't get cut, and that I don't think should get cut. Obviously the latter is mostly for first parties since third parties understandably have more rights issues and that's understandable if it caused someone to get cut.

But if Chrom gets cut I just won't buy the next game tbh. I save sixty bucks and Ultimate is still around. Win-win. :p
But what if Qwilfish is a playable character in the next game?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
People threw a huge stink over the loss of Ice Climbers when they got cut, even going as far as wanting a whole Smash game to not exist just so they could stay.

I think its pretty obvious that if Jigglypuff where to ever get cut, that a bunch of previously silent fans will suddenly come out of the woodwork demanding for it to come back into the roster again.

I think at this point, pretty much everyone from the original twelve would instigate an angry mob if any of them where to ever leave the roster..
Cut anyone of the original 12, I don't buy the game.
Jigglypuff ain't exactly a dealbreaker for me.

But I'd still prefer EVERYONE IS HERE...FOREVER!
Yeah, the moment that ANY of the Original 12 get removed is when I start raising a fuss, not going to lie.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The only character cut that would truly blow for me is Shulk, and I'm fairly certain that he's here to stay for future Smash games.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

People are really starting to get on companies' asses for having bad netcode. If Smash 7 development doesn't start for a year or two, I think there's hope.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
as far as cuts go, I can't see Nintendo removing any orf the original 12. The ones who are most likely to go are the echoes (or at least they're going to be changed into alt costumes like :ultalph:), 3rd party characters (like :ultbanjokazooie: sadly), and some characters from series with a lot of reps (like :ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultgreninja::ultjigglypuff::ultlucario::ultincineroar::ultmewtwo: and :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultbyleth:)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
For real though, Robin is the best FE character newcomer they've included in a long time.

I don't know why they're considered fat.
Hold the phone, who on earth considers Robin fat?

I find it funny that people think getting rid of all but a select few in the roster fixes everything.

Ill fight you if you get rid of Byleth and Robin

And lord help you if Villager is cut

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We discussing cuts AGAIN?

sigh we really need that character reveal...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I get why they said that because they needed an excuse as the truth, which was Disney denying any characters with movie rights owned by Fox, it's not a good excuse at all, but it wouldn't have been good to say "Yeah Disney said we weren't allowed to include these fanfavs", and the person who said that was a high level MvC3 player who managed to make a community meme himself
I still feel like they might've been able to come up with better than just "F U N C T I O N"

Also, there's no goddamn excuse for them saying X-Men didn't make it because they were a dead IP on the same year the Logan movie released.

Even keeping the function excuse would've been better than that blatant lie.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Smash reveal this week guys, I swear.

I'm rendering the trailer from my office as we speak.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You know what would make this series better?

More characters?

No, LESS characters! :secretkpop:
Good, this means I won't take 30 seconds to pick a character
I still feel like they might've been able to come up with better than just "F U N C T I O N"

Also, there's no goddamn excuse for them saying X-Men didn't make it because they were a dead IP on the same year the Logan movie released.

Even keeping the function excuse would've been better than that blatant lie.
This is why we as a society must get rid of Perlmutter's power

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hold the phone, who on earth considers Robin fat?
I know right? I mean, the man's not exactly a rail but he's in no way fat.

And lord help you if Villager is cut
If there can only be one, we'll have to go with the mascot.

"Which one was the mascot again?"
*Villager, Isabelle, and Tom Nook raise their hands*

Finally, some relatable Smash experience.
"Hm. Never really could relate to that..."
-Baboom

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
*Looks at the plethora of characters in my profile picture and signature*

Oh boy talking about cutting characters for the next Smash ain’t gonna be fun. Let’s just cross that bridge when we get to it.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
i wonder what awkward segue the ARMS presentation will have. maybe he'll talk about how his own arms are ironically calcified from working on video games. perhaps he'll say he wasn't able to play ARMS for himself to get a feel for the characters on account of his constantly breaking wrists. or maybe he looked at the characters in multiplayer by using 4 sets of joycons at once and using his fingers to control them all? god knows it's more interesting to me than whoever the actual character is at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom