• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I'm sorry but id rather have characters like Doomguy, Yuri Lowell, Heihachi, Leon over any of those characters, just dont care about any of them.

Some people need to get a reality check and stop pretending everyone will care about their side characters, so im not geting out of the house.
Bruh, you're seriously going to talk smack on the 1st parties when you're have Yuri Lowell on you're most wanted list. Literal no hopers like Slippy Toad and Camilla are more recognizable than him to say nothing on how the likes of Waluigi, Toad/Toadette, half the Pokedex, or even Waddle Dee crush him.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm sorry but id rather have characters like Doomguy, Yuri Lowell, Heihachi, Leon over any of those characters, just dont care about any of them.

Some people need to get a reality check and stop pretending everyone will care about their side characters, so im not geting out of the house.
Congratulations. But evolving smash into 3rd party only newcomers kinda misses the point of why Smash was made to begin with. They are guests for a reason. 3rd parties are nice to have, but they are by no means a necessity.

D

Deleted member

I have to wonder who the characters that Nintendo would be unable to re-license are. I mean they got Cloud back again, and while he doesn't come with much, they even managed to put him on base, which probably wasn't SE's choice. They still seem willing to play ball, especially now with DQ. Perhaps they'll start asking for more, but it's not exactly like Smash is made on a shoestring budget.

Maybe Konami, they're unpredictable dopes these days who apparently stood in the way of Snake being DLC. But he's in now, and they seem perfectly cooperative - lending three IPs and being content as the only base inclusion, when I suspect standalone DLC is more appealing for outside parties.

I don't see Sega, Namco or Capcom being too hard to work with.

Banjo is the biggest question mark, since while Microsoft and Nintendo are the best of friends currently, collaboration between competitors usually doesn't remain tenable.
Currently, Nintendo can pretty much re-license any character. If the next game Sakurai isn't in charge or he has some different ideas to take the next game, we will probably see cuts with the 3rd parties and in this case they will be up to Nintendo rather than the other companies.

And for the looks of it, MS is currently playing ball due to Spencer trying to move away a bit from the console and solidifying Xbox as a kind of GaaS platform more than anything. It wouldn't be really surprising to see them attempt getting XCloud on the Switch or the PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
And for the looks of it, MS is currently playing ball due to Spencer trying to move away a bit from the console and solidifying Xbox as a kind of GaaS platform more than anything. It wouldn't be really surprising to see them attempt getting XCloud on the Switch or the PS4.
I'm pretty sure this is a marketing move for Scarlett. They're putting out their stuff to get other people interested before they say "Come to Scarlett for the newest **** in our franchises after getting a taste of it elsewhere".

StormC

Smash Hero
Smash speculation without Sakurai in charge is kind of scary to think about. We've been obsessing over this man's interviews and thought patterns for the last two decades. Where else can we turn to when digging up old interviews to obsess over character picks???

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Maybe I just lack imagination, but I really can’t see a way to top ultimate since it’s basically everything I’ve ever asked for in a smash game. It’s going to be hard to get me to stop playing Ultimate in favor of a future smash. the designers of future smash are going to have a real problem being in Ultimate’s shadow.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
The only way an Ultimate+ happens is if there's a new iteration of Nintendo consoles in the next 3 years or so, which can't play Switch games, which is not going to happen. Sure they did it with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but the Wii U version sold less than 10 million copies, so that was a smart move. I'm still expecting a Mario Kart 9 to be on the Switch.

The reason there have been so many ports is because the Wii U didn't sell well, so this is an easy way to recoup costs on those games (or just make additional profit).

As for "5-6 third party characters", unless you're including veterans, you're deluding yourself for thinking a hypothetical Smash 6 will have that many 3rd party newcomers in base. We've never had more than 2-3 (and even then, 2 of the newcomers in Ultimate are echoes).

If Smash 6 doesn't happen for 7-8 years, that's plenty of time for new franchises to pop up. Almost half the newcomers in Brawl and 4 hadn't been in games when the previous game came out. We literally don't know what the state of characters are right now. There will probably be cuts, but if there aren't, the characters that have been listed are just the next most requested characters in fandom rising up, but they will have to battle with new IPs and characters for the base game.

It's pointless being this cynical this far out from any kind of hypothetical follow-up to Ultimate.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
They should make a port of Smash Ultimate, but not a simple port with a couple new characters, stages and a new mode. A port where they put the same amount of money and effort into it as they would a brand new Smash game. Make it Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Ultimate. With the tag line being “Everything is Here!” Every mode and feature from every Smash game is back.

Each character gets their own Break the Targets and Board the Platform map, and every missing stage, music track, Pokéball Pokémon, and Assist Trophy (aside from the ones that are now playable) return, and several new ones will be added as well.

Also we’ll see the return of Coin Battles, Custom Moves, Home Run Contest, Boss Rush, All-Star Mode, Event Match, Target Blast, Smash Run, Smash Tour, Master Orders, Crazy Orders, Trophies, Stickers, Album, Lottery, Coin Launcher, Trophy Rush, Masterpieces, Chronicle, 10-Man Smash, 3-Minute Smash, 15-Minute Smash, Rival Smash, Endless Smash, Single-Button Mode, StreetSmash, a short movie after each character’s Classic Mode, a new adventure mode similar to Melee’s, and an extension of World of Light with new locations, Spirit battles, bosses and cutscenes.

Of course on top of all of that we will receive at least one brand new mode along with several new playable fighters.

This is totally realistic, and I’m not crazy.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It's great to have every character once again, but obviously this isn't something that can be replicated in every Smash game. The reason why it was easier for Ultimate to have everything from 4 is because it reused the same engine and ported a lot of animations and models. This cannot be replicated on a next gen console. You will NEED to update the engine if you want it to live up to industry standards and not look like an outdated hunk of garbage. And let's be honest, characters like Pichu and Young Link would have never made it in if it wasn't for the "Everyone is Here" mantra.

Sakurai himself has said that bringing back everyone is a once in a lifetime miracle. Which makes sense because from a design perspective you don't want to keep porting the same game over and over again, you want to try and attempt new things and introduce new characters. When the next game comes out after 6~ years there will be many new IPs and characters contending for a spot on the roster, these characters will obviously be on a higher priority than old clone characters.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
A question to spark discussion:

With Dragon Quest now in Smash, and characters like a Mortal Kombat fighter or Doomguy / Doom Slayer being discussed, I've been wondering if there are any possible characters that are super popular in Europe but lack popularity elsewhere, or at least Japan.

Dragon Quest was extremely popular in Japan and only had decent to below average popularity elsewhere. Mortal Kombat and, in general, first person shooters are very popular everywhere EXCEPT Japan. Any characters or series that have the same problem, but this time for Europe?

I'm a dumb American so I can't answer, I was just wondering is all. I know Bayonetta was picked because she placed #1 in Europe for the Smash Ballot, but unless someone can prove me wrong, it doesn't seem like the Bayonetta series' popularity is extremely high only in Europe while being average to below average everywhere else. Also, Rayman keeps getting brought up, and I know France loved Rayman enough that the PlayStation 1 version of Rayman 1 was the best selling game on the system there (or was it elsewhere in Europe?), but is Rayman THAT popular?

Basically I'm looking for the European version of the regionally popular third-party character that are on the level of Dragon Quest in Japan and Mortal Kombat / a first person shooter character in America.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

With Dragon Quest now in Smash, and characters like a Mortal Kombat fighter or Doomguy / Doom Slayer being discussed, I've been wondering if there are any possible characters that are super popular in Europe but lack popularity elsewhere, or at least Japan.

Dragon Quest was extremely popular in Japan and only had decent to below average popularity elsewhere. Mortal Kombat and, in general, first person shooters are very popular everywhere EXCEPT Japan. Any characters or series that have the same problem, but this time for Europe?

I'm a dumb American so I can't answer, I was just wondering is all. I know Bayonetta was picked because she placed #1 in Europe for the Smash Ballot, but unless someone can prove me wrong, it doesn't seem like the Bayonetta series' popularity is extremely high only in Europe while being average to below average everywhere else. Also, Rayman keeps getting brought up, and I know France loved Rayman enough that the PlayStation 1 version of Rayman 1 was the best selling game on the system there (or was it elsewhere in Europe?), but is Rayman THAT popular?

Basically I'm looking for the European version of the regionally popular third-party character that are on the level of Dragon Quest in Japan and Mortal Kombat / a first person shooter character in America.
Fifa is probably the biggest "franchise" that sells disproportionately well in Europe. But obviously not a chance in Smash. I think the issue is that Europe and the US's tastes in games aren't that far apart beyond different sports. But I remember seeing that the majority of Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy's sales came from Europe. But then he is popular world wide.

GTA is another one that sells better in Europe than other regions.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Layton in particular is a popular request in Europe. I heard Isaac, Rayman and Crash are particularly popular in Europe too.

Besides those, tastes in Europe seem to generally overlap with the rest of the world too.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Fifa is probably the biggest "franchise" that sells disproportionately well in Europe. But obviously not a chance in Smash. I think the issue is that Europe and the US's tastes in games aren't that far apart beyond different sports. But I remember seeing that the majority of Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy's sales came from Europe. But then he is popular world wide.

GTA is another one that sells better in Europe than other regions.

That's pretty much correct. I'm gonna add, as a European (Swede):

Europe has a very long history with the personal computer, especially in places like the UK and Sweden / Scandinavia in general. Doom and its successors were very popular here, as were most FPS games. The PC gaming community has a long history with stuff like Quake, Wolfenstein etc. RTSes were also incredibly popular here during their global heyday. Likewise, MOBAs have been popular in the last decade.

While Nintendo and the Xbox have sizeable presences here in Europe, the Playstation remains king. To expand on the whole FIFA bit: it's not just that FIFA games are pretty much annual bestsellers - to the point where some buy consoles just for FIFA (with Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer being a bit more niche due to not having all of the licenses, and EA's NHL games being popular only in countries where ice hockey's popular). But it's also been indirectly promoted by Sony and the Champions League (Europe's big international club competition) since PlayStation (2, 3, 4) billboards have been on eery single Champions League match since the 90s. That's why EA went for that weird promotion in last year's E3, when FIFA aqcuired the Champions League license. That bit was aimed squarely at Europeans.

As for games and characters more in line with Smash, you're spot on. Other than what you've pointed out Europe's pretty similar to the US.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

There already is.

Banjo, Diddy and King K Rool are all British in origin.

Rayman and the Rabbids are the biggest if you only count the mainland. Geralt from the Witcher is a grey area as he's technically a book character

Nquoid

Smash Ace
That's pretty much correct. I'm gonna add, as a European (Swede):

Europe has a very long history with the personal computer, especially in places like the UK and Sweden / Scandinavia in general. Doom and its successors were very popular here, as were most FPS games. The PC gaming community has a long history with stuff like Quake, Wolfenstein etc. RTSes were also incredibly popular here during their global heyday. Likewise, MOBAs have been popular in the last decade.

While Nintendo and the Xbox have sizeable presences here in Europe, the Playstation remains king. To expand on the whole FIFA bit: it's not just that FIFA games are pretty much annual bestsellers - to the point where some buy consoles just for FIFA (with Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer being a bit more niche due to not having all of the licenses, and EA's NHL games being popular only in countries where ice hockey's popular). But it's also been indirectly promoted by Sony and the Champions League (Europe's big international club competition) since PlayStation (2, 3, 4) billboards have been on eery single Champions League match since the 90s.

As for games and characters more in line with Smash, you're spot on. Other than what you've pointed out Europe's pretty similar to the US.
(I should add I'm from the UK and work at a prominent retail chain there, downloaded our top games sales for the decade and the top 5 were just COD and Fifa games, which was exactly what I expected)

D

Deleted member

Crash is currently popular on the UK.

And I've also heard that DMC and RE sell well here and in other places of Europe.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
On the Dynasty Warriors topic, if being based on things in the public domain was an issue, we wouldn't have Kid Icarus represented at all, Joker wouldn't be using Arsene, and Henry Fleming wouldn't be a spirit.

As far as I'm concerned, Dynasty Warriors is absolutely fair game.
The problem with the examples given is that they are loosely based on the material in question, and are otherwise transformative of the subject for which they were based.
Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors are retelling the story, with only slight changes to give multiple endings. Obviously the gameplay is fanciful, but the story elements and characters’ portrayals are true to the books and history, or at least as much as possible.
To put it another way, Goemon of the Ganbare Goemon series is fair game. He is based on the historical figure Goemon Ishikawa, however his series includes but is not limited to: mechanical ninjas, time travel, futuristic technology, ghost cats, floating castles with beams that transform other castles, giant mech battles. The Goemon franchise has expanded far past it’s origin as a historical reference to be simply a reference and little else. Dynasty Warriors has not expanded past the point of adaptation; therefore, they should not be considered video characters or eligible for Smash.
Sakurai and his team will do what they want, but that is my opinion,

hustler713

Smash Apprentice

Probably Isaac. European and American Tastes aren't that far away from each other with the exception of Geno beeing more of an American pick while golden sun was most popular in European countries.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice

Inazuma Eleven is pretty popular in europe, but i dont see it getting a rep over Layton. (Altrough i can definitely see it getting over Yokai Watch easily since IE is older)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
On the Dynasty Warriors topic, if being based on things in the public domain was an issue, we wouldn't have Kid Icarus represented at all
Kid Icarus isn't actually based on the story of Icarus though. That's just the NA title.

Also, Icarus is a myth, not a historical figure. :p

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace

I am French (non-bilingual). Most games in Europe are translated from English. So European culture is therefore mainly based on American culture. Europe doesn't support any specialty and don't really have European preference. If you want to know what real European ballot choices look like, just watch the USA choices. In short, you don't need to look at Europe to make new forecasts ;) Ubisoft isn't the #1 choice for Europeans. And Bayonetta has never been chosen by Europe.

________
Personally, I suppose that Sakurai's assertion that "Bayonetta was the first pick among realisable characters" is a lie. I don't know who confirmed she was the # 1 ballot choice in Europe, but I think it's a fake news for the USA and Japan accept the lie.
-> Rigged Ballot rumor
On July 2, 2018, dataminer Ruben found that Bayonetta may have been chosen for DLC as early as patch 1.0.6, which was published only two weeks after the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot opened and several months before Bayonetta was announced as the winner of the ballot. Dataminers Marioking64DS and Ehm later confirmed that files for Bayonetta existed in the patch [link]. This caused a backlash in the community with many people accusing Sakurai of lying about the winner of the ballot. However, it is possible that she received a large number of votes during the first two weeks the ballot was open. It should also be noted that Sakurai and Iwata have always talked about the ballot as though it was a suggestion box, not a poll [link].
I think Sakurai's statement would end the "Rigged Ballot rumor". His entity federates, and his words are authoritative and aren't questioned. The reason I suspect him of lying is to have disguised a contract between Nintendo and PlatiniumGames. By pretending that Bayonetta's character is the #1 ballot choice (after "old veterans like Snake and other characters that were already tried negotiating but got rejected" [link]), Sakurai would have protected Nintendo from dealing a character slot in Smash Bros for license exclusivity. In my opinion, it isn't Sakurai who would have decided to add Bayonetta (too gun&sex mature character from too young third-party series whose creator is from too Capcom.) Even if Bayonetta had really been at the top of the ballot... why not have ignored looking at the following choices? Not to please the community anyway. If neither the community nor Sakurai wanted Bayonetta for Smash Bros, then the instructions would have come from Big N to mercantile purpose. The strategy would be to make believe that such a non-legitimate choice of new Fighter would be legitimized by the European community. Nintendo wouldn't tell the truth to have obtained Bayonetta through a negotiated exclusivity.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the "originated to videogames" is a bit iffy.

For example, it the manga was made to promote the videogames i wouldn't consider it a manga character at all.
But i think Yokai Watch unforuntately might be seen an manga originating character, but Inazuma Eleven is still possible since the manga was made after the videogame anouncement.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Smash speculation without Sakurai in charge is kind of scary to think about. We've been obsessing over this man's interviews and thought patterns for the last two decades. Where else can we turn to when digging up old interviews to obsess over character picks???
A Smash without Sakurai would likely play it extremely close to what is in Ultimate.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
For argument's sake, if Ultimate DX ever happened, I'd be pretty hype about it, even if we only got the same amount of newcomers we did for this game and nothing else new.

Besides, when speaking of ports, isn't Mario Kart 8 DX one of the Switch's best sellers to this day? I know Smash is an entirely different beast (licensing deals and whatnot), but I think people underestimate how well an enhanced port of Smash would do.

Regardless, Ultimate DX is pure conjecture on our part, so... yeah.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Besides, when speaking of ports, isn't Mario Kart 8 DX one of the Switch's best sellers to this day? I know Smash is an entirely different beast (licensing deals and whatnot), but I think people underestimate how well an enhanced port of Smash would do.
I think it's selling so well because it's Mario Kart, not because it's a deluxe version of it.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
That was... kind of my point really. Even if it's "just a port", it's selling really well because it's Mario Kart. It would likely be the same with Smash, at least hipothetically speaking.
I think if they ported Smash Ultimate to a new system, they'd still have to add something to it/tweak it a bit to make it seem new. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, despite it being a port, has a real battle mode again and allows players to hold 2 items at once again; both of which are major changes from the original.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think if they ported Smash Ultimate to a new system, they'd still have to add something to it/tweak it a bit to make it seem new. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, despite it being a port, has a real battle mode again and allows players to hold 2 items at once again; both of which are major changes from the original.
True. Plus, it's a port of a Wii U game, and we all know how well that system fared in comparison to the Switch. So a lot of people were actually playing MK8 for the first time through the port.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Kid Icarus isn't actually based on the story of Icarus though. That's just the NA title.

Also, Icarus is a myth, not a historical figure. :p
I meant more so for its basis on Greek mythology than anything specifically about Pit himself. Pit himself is more of a hodgepodge of Eros, Icarus, Hermes, and Perseus. Palutena is literally a corruption of Pallas Athena (just substituting Wisdom for Light) and she even retains her hatred for Medusa (just in a more, let's say, family friendly version). Other characters are lifted right from Greek myth as well.

But either way, both real and fictional people I think are fair game if they're public domain. If Sakurai was able to add the polygonal head of living real-world neuroscientist Dr. Kawashima, I don't think Dynasty Warriors is off-limits.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I meant more so for its basis on Greek mythology than anything specifically about Pit himself. Pit himself is more of a hodgepodge of Eros, Icarus, Hermes, and Perseus. Palutena is literally a corruption of Pallas Athena (just substituting Wisdom for Light) and she even retains her hatred for Medusa (just in a more, let's say, family friendly version). Other characters are lifted right from Greek myth as well.

But either way, both real and fictional people I think are fair game if they're public domain. If Sakurai was able to add the polygonal head of living real-world neuroscientist Dr. Kawashima, I don't think Dynasty Warriors is off-limits.
Aw yeah, Steampunk Abe Lincoln for Smash.

They should make a port of Smash Ultimate, but not a simple port with a couple new characters, stages and a new mode. A port where they put the same amount of money and effort into it as they would a brand new Smash game. Make it Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Ultimate. With the tag line being “Everything is Here!” Every mode and feature from every Smash game is back.

Each character gets their own Break the Targets and Board the Platform map, and every missing stage, music track, Pokéball Pokémon, and Assist Trophy (aside from the ones that are now playable) return, and several new ones will be added as well.

Also we’ll see the return of Coin Battles, Custom Moves, Home Run Contest, Boss Rush, All-Star Mode, Event Match, Target Blast, Smash Run, Smash Tour, Master Orders, Crazy Orders, Trophies, Stickers, Album, Lottery, Coin Launcher, Trophy Rush, Masterpieces, Chronicle, 10-Man Smash, 3-Minute Smash, 15-Minute Smash, Rival Smash, Endless Smash, Single-Button Mode, StreetSmash, a short movie after each character’s Classic Mode, a new adventure mode similar to Melee’s, and an extension of World of Light with new locations, Spirit battles, bosses and cutscenes.

Of course on top of all of that we will receive at least one brand new mode along with several new playable fighters.

This is totally realistic, and I’m not crazy.
If this became an actual thing...... Hooh, boy. (Drools immensly). Goodbye, all my money, I'd be worshipping this hypothetical game.

This sorta reminds me. Imagine a Smash Game with the development time of Red Dead Redemption 2........ that would be ****ing magical.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

Also Dracula(probably the most famous public domain character) as a boss in WoL to boot.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Also Dracula(probably the most famous public domain character) as a boss in WoL to boot.
I guess that would be an important distinction? How transformative is the video game to the character. It's not like Castelvania takes Bram Stoker's Dracula as a core point of it's world building. Functionally the Dracula in Castlevania takes the name from the fictional character but is purposefully at odds with a lot of the book.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If Minecraft is more-likely for base game, I hope Steve gets in for the next Smash, with B-K coming back with him.

Sakurai seemed to have no problems other than being hesitant at first because of the language barrier, and even said he hopes the experience with all the B-K stuff is good for the future since “they” (NoJ I assume) don’t usually do things like this. I don’t think the characters being Western are a problem; both Minecraft and B-K have Eastern appeal, and while I’m sure Sakurai won’t want to do too much stuff with a language barrier, two or even three characters seems fine at the very least from how easy B-K was to get.

I’d like to say, though, I don’t get why y’all don’t think Minecraft would do well as DLC. A lot of adults like Minecraft and Minecraft in Smash is a very popular idea from what I’ve seen, even if people aren’t very vocal about it here (unless you’re me).

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
If Minecraft is more-likely for base game, I hope Steve gets in for the next Smash, with B-K coming back with him.

Sakurai seemed to have no problems other than being hesitant at first because of the language barrier, and even said he hopes the experience with all the B-K stuff is good for the future since “they” (NoJ I assume) don’t usually do things like this. I don’t think the characters being Western are a problem; both Minecraft and B-K have Eastern appeal, and while I’m sure Sakurai won’t want to do too much stuff with a language barrier, two or even three characters seems fine at the very least from how easy B-K was to get.

I’d like to say, though, I don’t get why y’all don’t think Minecraft would do well as DLC. A lot of adults like Minecraft and Minecraft in Smash is a very popular idea from what I’ve seen, even if people aren’t very vocal about it here (unless you’re me).
It's less that it wouldn't do well, and more that like Fortnite, and a lot of games that pride themselves on being easily playable on a myriad of devices, a fairly large part of the player base would not have disposable income to pay for a full fighters pass. Obviously they might be able to convince a parent or guardian for just Steve, but I think Nintendo is angling for a fighters pass that will get the most people excited to buy the whole thing.

Conversely, most of Banjo's fanbase will be late 20s, early 30s at this point so will have control over their own finances and spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom