• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyone else find it odd Nintendo America hasn’t tweeted AT ALL today though?

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Why, this is the most obvious question I've ever seen
Disney Dante baybeeeeeee
I don't think Jack Skellington was a videogame character at first lol.
Nice Kamen Rider Valkyrie pic ♥ (can't wait for more episodes of Zero One)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Disney Dante baybeeeeeee
Foolishness Jack, Foolishness

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Like I said earlier, if you aren't committed to buying every DLC character, and if you're still on the fence after knowing the first character will be from ARMS, then don't pre-purchase the DLC.

Even if Nintendo did reveal the ARMS character in March, you have no guarantee that you'll like the moveset, and you have no guarantee that the other five characters will be someone you'd enjoy. Waiting to see what you'll be spending your money on is perfectly fine (and admittedly wise), but I feel like you're contradicting yourself if you only apply this to the identity of the first character and nothing else.

Unless you absolutely loved the ARMS character Nintendo would've revealed in March so much that you'd gladly spend $30 for them regardless of what their moveset would be, I would've just waited for F7 and F8. By then, you should know if you're willing to buckle down and buy all six characters.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
As far as I know, each recurring character is a reincarnation of the same character, which means they are the same person depending on how you perceive reincarnation (or depending on how it works in the lore so correct me if they've specified how it works).
I don't consider a reincarnation to be the same person unless they have their past life's memories. Which Link and Zelda do not.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Disney Dante baybeeeeeee
My first thought was Scrooge McDuck or Wreck-It Ralph (though neither one originated in video games, unless a Fix-It Felix machine was made to promote the Wreck-It Ralph movie), but screw it, I'm going with this. I remembered that game, though I didn't realize that it was made by the Devil May Cry developers. (it makes sense in hindsight, though)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't consider a reincarnation to be the same person unless they have their past life's memories. Which Link and Zelda do not.
I view reincarnation like getting a second life. You're still the same person in this scenario. But let's not argue philosophy.

As ALongWistfulSquiggle ALongWistfulSquiggle puts it, they are separate characters, but Zelda does have a direct connection with each other, and Link does sometimes, and other times not so much.

Last edited:

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
To promote social distancing, FP7 will be Vergil. Why, you ask? Simple.

1: He has a loooong ass Katana that can hit behind him
View attachment 273534

2: Social Distancing Swords
View attachment 273535

Speaking of Social Distancing Sword why not an Astral Chain rep ? That game would be a fine addition to smash

Akira Howard unchained his/her Legion.

Final Smash = Legion Fusion with an animation that start with every opponent in a vicinity area being unchained by the astral chain then akira howard fusion him/hherself with his/her Legion and a combo move then dammage done.
All the regular attack would be made with the Sword Legion and the Special attack will have the other legion being assigned to Up / Down / Right / Left.

I have several idea tbh lol

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Speaking of Social Distancing Sword why not an Astral Chain rep ? That game would be a fine addition to smash
I know cops have been a thing in current events but I dunno what Astral Chain has to do with COVID-19 specifically. Not saying I disagree with you, I just don't think the segway worked.

So, would Akira be a grappler due to the Legion mechanics?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Anyone else find it odd Nintendo America hasn’t tweeted AT ALL today though?
It’s most likely because of current events in America. They don’t want to be political (completely fair IMO. They are primarily a family oriented company, kids shouldn’t be exposed to that stuff at a young age), but most other major gaming companies have made a statement so Nintendo could get hounded if they’re just acting like everything is normal. It’s best to just be quiet.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It’s most likely because of current events in America. They don’t want to be political (completely fair IMO. They are primarily a family oriented company, kids shouldn’t be exposed to that stuff at a young age), but most other major gaming companies have made a statement so Nintendo could get hounded if they’re just acting like everything is normal. It’s best to just be quiet.
I don't think that's the reason why they're being quiet. They made a couple of tweets just yesterday.

I'm sure it's nothing important.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Does Nintendo of America tweet literally everyday or something?

I don't really follow twitter much so I wouldn't know.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I was thinking about what kind of boss fights they could add if they added a Boss Battle Mode and brand new boss fights to go with it, and... I'm beginning to think that Crow from Nefarious might be a perfect pick for a boss battle.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I think an Akira could be an interesting fighter. There's plenty of room in the puppet master archetype that they could feel different from Rosaluma, maybe incorporating some Pokemon Trainer-esque swapping. And using the chains as a long-range grapple sounds pretty unique, if a bit frustrating to face.

But I'm gonna be honest. If I had to chose another Platinum character to add to smash, I'd go with Raiden from MGR every time.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Isn’t today the #BlackoutTuesday thing?

Is that why Nintendo is quiet? Out of respect (or they just decided today would be a good time to do a quiet day)? They even left the English trailer for the Pokémon DLC as Unlisted, so you could only watch it by using Serebii’s link or whoever else shared it/if you knew what to do to see unlisted stuff on your own (I don’t).

edit: nvm it was still unlisted on YouTube but apparently it was on the official website.

Last edited:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
If they only uses the Arm Legion, otherwise Akira is a Sword, Shield, Tamer, Archer, and Grappler/Puncher. For more information: Designing the Legion Family.

Yesss, more talk of Astral Chain and Akira as a potential rep, keep it going! Akira is the very reason I joined Smashboards!

And for those of you who haven't played it, give it a shot. It's fantastic. A really fresh take on investigation/action games, with very unique designs as well.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It took me some time to get this done, but I finally have a visual representation of my predictions for Fighter Pass 2. I'm gonna post my picture and following suit will try to go a bit in-depth about my choices and why I feel they could potentially happen:

>Min Min seems to be someone who would please a good amount of Arms fans, and with her kicking attacks she seems like an easy Arms character to get added. Her Mii costumes would be associated with fighting games and Arms (Heihachi, Max Brass and Helix. With Ori being a Deluxe Mii costume).

>Considering the possibility of Min Min getting added, I can imagine Sakurai opening the gates for spirit/assist trophy promotions at least for one pick in the past. My picture shows Geno, Waluigi and Rayman but It could easily be any other Spirit or assist. The Mii would be related to assist and spirits too (Mallow, Bomberman, Pauline and Shovel Knight).

>Now, the SEGA reps. This year marks the 60th's anniversary of the company. And with the great relationship between Nintendo and SEGA since the Gamecube days, what better way to take part in the celebration than by getting a new SEGA character in Smash? I personally believe SEGA and the Smash team would go for either Sakura (due to the impact of Sakura Wars and the Saturn in japanese pop culture), Axel Stone (for a classic retro SEGA pick) or Kyryu (due to the worldwide success and popularity of Yakuza). For Mii costumes I decided to go with SEGA characters who tend to be acknowledged frequently on official SEGA crossovers (Billy Hatcher, Ulala, Alex Kidd and Beat). I personally find the inclussion of an Alex Kidd costume reasonable as he was one of the original SEGA faces.

>I also believe we are getting a new Square Enix pick. My choices are Sephiroth due to his status as one of gaming's biggest villains, Crono because of the cult following the franchise has and Neku for that reason and also because of Nomura's current importance in the company.
For Mii costumes I actually consider the fun possibility of Sakurai doing Sans-style designs of the FFVII cast based on their PS1 models + the Chocobo hat, probably using them as a way to include some new FFVII tracks alongside.

>Capcom is the big name in speculation and for all the fair reasons. They have been supporting the Switch strongly since launch and have a healthy relationship with the Big N. I expect Dante or Phoenix Wright from them since they currently are their biggest characters besides Resident Evil ones.
For Mii costumes I went with Four popular Capcom characters in crossovers (Bison, Arthur, Maya and Viewtiful Joe).

>Finally, I expect Sakurai to end the pass on a big note. As such, I expect them to add the before-believed never-evers such as Master Chief and Steve. For me there would be no better way to end the potential last batch of Smash DLC made by Sakurai with such important and internet-breaking choices. For Mii costumes I went with some Rareware and Minecraft characters (Rash, Conker, Zombie and Enderman).

And that's basically It, I will end by tagging some cool people who I would love to see checking out this post:

Late to the party, but I feel the need to respond in a way that that contributes to discussion (hopefully you don't regret tagging me after this :teeth:)

For one, what makes you believe we'll be seeing double dips on third parties (specifically Sega and Square Enix). I could see Square getting a second rep to promote their Nintendo-centric series (Bravely and maybe TWEWY), but I can't exactly see Sega getting another character over, say, Namco or Koei. Definitely interested in hearing your reasoning on this.

I hope Min Min gets in over Spring Man, but I honestly doubt it given his previous words on choosing protagonists first over side characters (remember, Piranha Plant got in explicitly because they were a side character). I largely agree with your assessment on Capcom, but I honestly believe Monster Hunter is back in the running given a perceived general trend of this pass being more centered on Nintendo picks rather than the off-the-walls third parties of last pass. Granted, this is a kneejerk reaction based only on the initial reveal being ARMS compared to Joker, and I am probably incorrect in this, but I digress.

Finally, I doubt this pass ends on a high note. Every time we say, "This game's reveals are definitely gonna end on a high note!" and time and time again we're wrong. R.O.B., Shulk (technically Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt, but those trailers were after the game released), Corrin and Bayonetta (compared to Cloud and Ryu earlier), Ken and Incineroar (you could count Plant in their place), and Byleth. None of these are the strongest newcomers, and at least half have gone over with mass controversy after their reveal. The strongest reveals are always at the beginning or the end. Which is why I personally believe the ARMS reveal carries a significant connotation, but I acknowledge that claim needs further evidence. I could potentially see Pick 6 being a significant surprise, last second addition, but I honestly doubt it.

Anyways, if I were to give a kneejerk prediction as to who we're going to see, here's what I'd say:
  • ARMS (likely Spring Man)
  • Capcom: Monster Hunter or Dante
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Rayman
  • Namco: Lloyd Irving
  • Square Enix: Bravely Default or Neku
Ryu and/or Square Enix could be replaced with a second Nintendo character. No clue who that'd be, however. Maybe Rex & Pyra or Waluigi? Maybe another promotional rep. If so, I'd guess the protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or Monolith Soft's new series.

D

Deleted member

Late to the party, but I feel the need to respond in a way that that contributes to discussion (hopefully you don't regret tagging me after this :teeth:)

For one, what makes you believe we'll be seeing double dips on third parties (specifically Sega and Square Enix). I could see Square getting a second rep to promote their Nintendo-centric series (Bravely and maybe TWEWY), but I can't exactly see Sega getting another character over, say, Namco or Koei. Definitely interested in hearing your reasoning on this.

I hope Min Min gets in over Spring Man, but I honestly doubt it given his previous words on choosing protagonists first over side characters (remember, Piranha Plant got in explicitly because they were a side character). I largely agree with your assessment on Capcom, but I honestly believe Monster Hunter is back in the running given a perceived general trend of this pass being more centered on Nintendo picks rather than the off-the-walls third parties of last pass. Granted, this is a kneejerk reaction based only on the initial reveal being ARMS compared to Joker, and I am probably incorrect in this, but I digress.

Finally, I doubt this pass ends on a high note. Every time we say, "This game's reveals are definitely gonna end on a high note!" and time and time again we're wrong. R.O.B., Shulk (technically Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt, but those trailers were after the game released), Corrin and Bayonetta (compared to Cloud and Ryu earlier), Ken and Incineroar (you could count Plant in their place), and Byleth. None of these are the strongest newcomers, and at least half have gone over with mass controversy after their reveal. The strongest reveals are always at the beginning or the end. Which is why I personally believe the ARMS reveal carries a significant connotation, but I acknowledge that claim needs further evidence. I could potentially see Pick 6 being a significant surprise, last second addition, but I honestly doubt it.

Anyways, if I were to give a kneejerk prediction as to who we're going to see, here's what I'd say:
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Rayman
Ryu and/or Square Enix could be replaced with a second Nintendo character. No clue who that'd be, however. Maybe Rex & Pyra or Waluigi? Maybe another promotional rep. If so, I'd guess the protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or Monolith Soft's new series.
Hello! I'm glad you are interested to hear about why I consider a SEGA rep plausible for this new Pass.

All in all, It all lies on the current celebration of SEGA's 60th anniversary.
With SEGA being a company which has been tied with Nintendo for quite a good amount of decades, and the way It seems they are pushing really strong this 60th anniversary I feel Nintendo adding any kind of new SEGA content to Smash Ultimate associated with the anniversary sounds quite reasonable.

Now, the way they could do It is also with a general SEGA Spirit event, doh I also feel a fighter would be an ideal way to do It too.

And yeah, that's basically my big reason.

Completely agree on your take with Monster Hunter too. I would have probably added them to my Capcom part of the prediction if my editing app worked better.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I personally don't think SEGA, SquarEnix, or Microsoft characters are out of the running just because the companies already had a character in the first pass. If anything, they're more likely because we know the companies are willing to collaborate. Even if they wanted to be sure and cast a wide net with their characters, Joker, Arle, and Kiryu are very different characters in feel and appeal. Same with Hero, Neku, Lara, and to a lesser extent, Crono, as well as Banjo & Kazooie, Steve, and Master Chief.

The only exception I see is SNK because Terry basically brought their whole library with him. I suppose they could go with a Metal Slug character, but I don't think that's likely regardless.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I personally don't think SEGA, SquarEnix, or Microsoft characters are out of the running just because the companies already had a character in the first pass. If anything, they're more likely because we know the companies are willing to collaborate. Even if they wanted to be sure and cast a wide net with their characters, Joker, Arle, and Kiryu are very different characters in feel and appeal. Same with Hero, Neku, Lara, and to a lesser extent, Crono, as well as Banjo & Kazooie, Steve, and Master Chief.

The only exception I see is SNK because Terry basically brought their whole library with him. I suppose they could go with a Metal Slug character, but I don't think that's likely regardless.
Regardless, I think it'd be a smart business decision for Nintendo to branch out with the companies represented in Smash rather than focus on the ones already in. I believe we'll see a mix of such, but I don't see there being any special reason for Nintendo to go back to a company they've already worked with. Especially when there are characters outside of the current scope of Smash that Sakurai and Nintendo might want to go for (e.g. Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, etc).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly with certain companies, they have so many franchises that are so rich with potential, there's value going back to them. Capcom alone has such an embarrassment of riches that that the use of Mega Man & Street Fighter feels like its just scratching the surface of what they could include from it.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

• Ryu Hayabusa
  • Rayman
"None of these are the strongest newcomers"

(Video timestamped to the Byleth game, starts on click. An alternate timestamp is 22:20.)

:4pacman: aside, yeah, that's a good point to make here. That said, I'm not completely sure if this pass is going to be that Nintendo-centric. But I do agree with you that we need to see more of this pass before making any concrete calls.

What I'm not completely sure about is that the ARMS reveal will set a tone. FP1 had two characters with strong Nintendo connections following up on Joker (Hero, B-K) and a Nintendo character as FP5. Sure, there's also Joker and Terry, but Terry's home series (both of them) influenced Smash itself. Not really the "off-the-wall" picks that Joker's inclusion would suggest at first glance.

But then again I'll concede the point that Terry's inclusion would've likely been surprising to the wider Smash community if there was no SNK leak. Hero would've likewise been surprising to a large portion of the Western audience had Brave not leaked (and had earlier teases surrounding Erdrick not happened). Byleth's inclusion likewise wasn't counted on - especially not with Sakurai's hand sign. From those viewpoints they are indeed "off-the-wall".

(Was tempted to make a Smash 4 Bayo joke, but nah,)

Regardless, I think it'd be a smart business decision for Nintendo to branch out with the companies represented in Smash rather than focus on the ones already in. I believe we'll see a mix of such, but I don't see there being any special reason for Nintendo to go back to a company they've already worked with. Especially when there are characters outside of the current scope of Smash that Sakurai and Nintendo might want to go for (e.g. Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, etc).
And this is one reason why I'm not sure that ARMS will signal a Nintendo-centric Pass. Could it happen? Absolutely. But branching out invites a lot of different companies and characters to join the fray - Jonesy, for example. If Nintendo likewise prioritizes expanding into new audiences with a FP pick there's a wide net to be cast. Doom Slayer and Master Chief could be argued as belonging to this category, but so could one count characters like Sora and even Crash (on the logic that Crash is still heavily associated with the PS1 and its generation).

But again, I fully agree that we need to see more to make any concrete calls. Liked your post because, as usual, you articulate your thoughts very well.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I agree that we'll see a mix of characters from new and already represented companies. This is likely already the case with a Nintendo character leading the charge. There's probably a mix of initial reasons to add a character from "X character is a big name" to "X series is big right now" to "We would like to work with X company". I just don't think they'll pass up Steve because they just added Banjo & Kazooie.

Dunno what you mean by the last statement. Any character that isn't already in the game is out of it's current scope.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I don't tend to go with "fan rules are dumb" because it's not worth discussing them to me imo and think a bunch are too flexible to be "broken" while others are simply patterns we see that we speculate over to form an idea of what we could maybe expect.

But the whole "no third party will have more than one DLC character" is just... Something I don't get, and it limits possibilities.

Capcom alone has a good deal of legendary and active series both they and Nintendo can get plenty of benefit from, so does every other third party involved.

Man, this reminds me of how I 5 years ago was amongst the "Bayo and Banjo won't ever be in!" crowd.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I think it's less "no third party gets more than one DLC character"

And more "no third party gets more than one character per wave of DLC"

which sounds more plausible to me

andree123

Smash Ace
Hey guys it's one hour before a spirit event is announced, predict what will it be.

I am hoping for a Xenoblade DE spirit event.

EDIT:
Or maybe a Clubhouse Games spirit event as a promotion for Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Capcom and SEGA are the likeliest companies, who are already represented in Smash, to get another character IMO, mostly because you really can't get their stuff elsewhere and they're easy to work with. Between the two, saying who's likelier is not as easy as it once was due to rise in demand for non-Sonic SEGA characters overall, but it's still easily Capcom as people have been asking for their Nintendo-er characters since, like, Brawl (though Mega Man was who they bottlenecked to.) These guys have a bunch of characters who would fit in pretty well: Phoenix Wright, Dante, Morrigan and Amaterasu for Capcom, and Arle, Kiryu, Sakura and Axel for SEGA, among many, many others I didn't mention. Both of them have been getting Mii Costumes out of wave, but all of them are ports from Smash 4 which don't take any manpower more complicated than some minor adjustments. If they'd gotten entirely new ones, though, that'd be a huge blow to either of them.

Square-Enix is next. It seems the rights to their characters are harder to work with, but the importance of basically all of their popular requests cannot be understated. From the legendarily demanded Geno, to the rising star 2B, and if you count them the legendary Sora and Lara Croft...

I'd say with Microsoft comes a fairly big drop-off. They're western and inherently harder to work with. We also do not know if MS would be nearly as accepting of Steve or Master Chief getting in the way they were with BK, since a few powerful people did go out of their way to get it to happen.

Konami's the last already represented company I could see getting in, tbh. They're the least likely that's still a solid candidate in my eyes, mostly because their series have gotten less popular over time and the company itself is. But, that's not to say people have already forgotten the legacy of stuff like Contra. Doesn't help they got a Goemon Mii in Banjo's wave, but it was likely before FP2 was finalized so there's a last chance.

With the exception of maybe Microsoft, if they were ever going to double down on a series with a unique rep, now would be the time, and I think the companies above have the best candidates for that. People would go gaga for another Sonic rep, Zero, Alucard, even another FF rep.

Bamco and SNK basically went all out with Pac-Man and Terry, respectively. I believe from Sakurai and the team's point of view, Pac-Man is the Namco representative to end them all, and wouldn't be surprised to see Terry go the same way. We've had not one, not two, but three chances to add a Namco rep outside of Pac-Man, and not once did they do so even though everybody thought they would. But, there's still the properties of Bandai, which Pac-Man does not represent. So I would put Bamco over SNK. They're still possible, but with the exception of Heihachi I doubt they'll have any overlap with the content of Pac-Man or Terry even if not represented.

As for the non-roster represented third parties, I think Ubisoft's ship sailed when they released the brand-new Mii Costumes with Byleth. Don't see any reason for them not to save them for the Ubisoft character. So I'd put them at the bottom. ArcSys only has post-launch Spirits so far, and while I think there could be more, I wouldn't know. Koei-Tecmo has a very popular candidate who makes a lot of sense and has been rumored for a while, but the Hayabusa stuff could all be just a bunch of junk or not turn up after a while. I'd put Ubisoft below SNK, ArcSys between MS and Bamco, and Koei-Tecmo between SE and MS. There is one more darkhorse candidate, and I think that's Toby Fox simply due to the sheer attention the Undertale content representation got + Undertale still waiting on a Spirit event.

At least, that's my take.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
While I partially agree with this, most Metroid games have sold around a million. The exceptions are Prime, selling over 2 million, and Federation Force and Samus Returns, which sold less than a million.
IIRC the first Prime game achieved 3 million in sales.
But yeah Metroid is usually around 1 million units.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So as usual, I am continuing to uphold my tradition of playing the games of the characters of the roster in Smash Bros., and this time it was Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, which stars Marth.

As a remake of the original Fire Emblem title, I wasn't sure what to expect. The oldest game I'd played up to this point was Path of Radiance...though I suppose Shadow Dragon DS is a bit younger than that, so there's a few ways to look at it.

I'm salty, because I got to a point where I needed to get something in order to get Falchion, but I SCREWED UP AND PLAYED LIKE FIVE HOURS AFTER SAVING. So basically, I beat the game without getting Falchion. I was a sad panda.

That said, it was cool to finally see what Marth is all about for myself. I still have never played the original Castlevania (Simon), Mother 3 (Lucas), Fire Emblem the Binding Blade (Roy), and King of Fighters (Terry) and Dragon Quest 3, 4, and 8 (Hero, Hero, and uh, Hero). I still don't think I'll be playing Gyromite or Wii Fit anytime soon.

If you are looking for a new game to really sink your teeth into, I really just have to recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. I'm starting it soon, and it really is just one of my favorite games ever. It introduced me to the larger JRPG genre, and it led to my strongest desires to see Shulk in Smash (which I was granted for Wii U!) I realize not everybody has the luxury of getting certain games, but I truly recommend it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom