• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Hey guys, instead of making fighter pass predictions why we don't talk about our "ideal" Fighters Pass? Our ultimate wishlist? I'll begin:
FP1: Min Min (ARMS)
FP2: Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
FP3: Shantae
FP4: Geno (Super Mario RPG)
FP5: Reiji and Xiaomu (Namco X Capcom/Project X Zone)
FP6: *Insert requested character*
1 Arms
2. Scorpion
3. Hollow Knight
4. Cranky Kong
5. Phoenix Wright
6. Nathan Drake

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Xenoblade 2 is such a hard game to review because that thing that it did great are very great (excellent soundtrack, great world, good second half story, great vilains, some excellent character, lot of content), but the thing that it did wrong are really bad (bad main character, bad character design for the majority of the cast, bad UI and menu, game looks like s*** on portable mode, first 10 hours or so are really slow because of the long tutorial that are not even really well made and not clear, first half of the story is bland). I personally still love the game, but I can totally understand why the reception was so mixed.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
People out here claiming ARMS is Nintendo's "unsuccessful franchise being marketed via Smash DLC for exposure."
Boy oh boy, wait till you see what they announce as the 7th challenger pack.
/s

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
"XB2 gets good when you reach chapter 3/chapter 6/chapter 10/the postgame"
Me reaching chapters 3, 6, 10 and doing the postgame

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'd be here all day going on about the differences between XC1 and 2 and why the former is my favourite game ever whilst the latter was brutally disappointing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'd be here all day going on about the differences between XC1 and 2 and why the former is my favourite game ever whilst the latter was brutally disappointing.
I wouldn't mind making this thread a Xenoblade Chronicles 1 praise shrine for a day

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Xenoblade 2 is such a hard game to review because that thing that it did great are very great (excellent soundtrack, great world, good second half story, great vilains, some excellent character, lot of content), but the thing that it did wrong are really bad (bad main character, bad character design for the majority of the cast, bad UI and menu, game looks like s*** on portable mode, first 10 hours or so are really slow because of the long tutorial that are not even really well made and not clear, first half of the story is bland). I personally still love the game, but I can totally understand why the reception was so mixed.
Yeah... mix reception
20200330_215617.jpg

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
When it comes to ARMS, can we PLEASE get a sequel where you use the Ring Fit leg strap and just call it LEGS?

unrelated but will we be getting a female byleth emote?

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Let’s get off the Rhythm Heaven character in Smash 4 argument because it doesn’t matter, and let’s focus on speculation!

Let’s play a game: I’ll ask a question and then everyone who responds to the other person’s answer has to say something positive about their choice.

Let’s say you can GUARANTEE the inclusion of a character you want it Smash, but you have to sacrifice someone else you want as well.

For me, I’d guarantee Sora, but I’d sacrifice 2B.
Guarantee Nathan Drake, sacrifice Cranky Kong

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Let’s get off the Rhythm Heaven character in Smash 4 argument because it doesn’t matter, and let’s focus on speculation!

Let’s play a game: I’ll ask a question and then everyone who responds to the other person’s answer has to say something positive about their choice.

Let’s say you can GUARANTEE the inclusion of a character you want it Smash, but you have to sacrifice someone else you want as well.

Guarantee Doomguy, sacrifice (please have mercy on me) Geno.

KillerCage

Smash Master

AARRRGGHHH!!! Forgive me Doom Slayer, but I want Master Chief in Smash!

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
So main definitive reason why Min Min should be the ARMS.
20200330_215208.jpg

Ryu & Ken's master, Shen Long, was going to have a GREEN DRAGON ARM had it not been for that tragic accident.
Guess who has a Green Dragon Arm. Min Min!
With Min Min inclusion Ryu & Ken can finally train under their true master who actually has a green Dragon arm.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Hmmm...
I would guarantee Otto Matic, but I would sacrifice Sora.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
View attachment 267760
Ryu & Ken's master, Shen Long, was going to have a GREEN DRAGON ARM had it not been for that tragic accident.
With Min Min inclusion Ryu & Ken can finally train under their true master who actually has a green Dragon arm.
If Min Min is the ARMS rep (I'm 85% sure it's Spring Man.), then I will record myself eating noodles in celebration... assuming that the Coronavirus is under control by then*.

*Offer not valid if Min Min is an alternate costume.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Is this a behind the scenes kinda thing for Street Fighter: The Movie?

Sheng Long is actually not a cannon character in the Street Fighter series, with his role being taken by Gouken. There is an official design for the character, but It was made as a joke, doesn't appear in game, and has since been removed from the site it was posted on.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Is this a behind the scenes kinda thing for Street Fighter: The Movie?

Sheng Long is actually not a cannon character in the Street Fighter series, with his role being taken by Gouken. There is an official design for the character, but It was made as a joke, doesn't appear in game, and has since been removed from the site it was posted on.
Yeah, it was behind the scenes from Street Fighter: The Movie The Video Game. Capcom was against Shen Long but for some weird reason they approved of using him for the Street Fighter The Movie The Video Game in which he would have a Dragon Arm!
Also this whole post was more of a joke seeing how Min Min has a dragon arm and could be a funny tie to Ryu & Ken.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
THIS IS GAME FOR BABIES AND KIRBY

You can guarantee your second most wanted, but you must pay the price - your most desired character will never be in.

As for me, do I buy an Advance Wars character for the price of Isaac? Actually, no! I don't take that deal. I'll take my odds as I think playable Golden Sun will happen without the monkey's paw voodoo.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
She's in my top 10.
Cool. I was just curious 'cuz that's not a pick I would expect you to make.

I should probably pick up a Shantae game. I passed on the newest one because I was fresh off of Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, and I didn't want the experiences to bleed over due to the similar artstyles.

Yeah, it was behind the scenes from Street Fighter: The Movie The Video Game. Capcom was against Shen Long but for some weird reason they approved of using him for the Street Fighter The Movie The Video Game in which he would have a Dragon Arm!
Also this whole post was more of a joke seeing how Min Min has a dragon arm and could be a funny tie to Ryu & Ken.
I suppose it would make for a neat reference, though only the biggest of Street Fighter fans would even get it. lol

The situation makes for an interesting "what if" scenario; If they added Sheng Long to Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game he would likely have replaced Gouken, and might have even become a series staple.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
THIS IS GAME FOR BABIES AND KIRBY

You can guarantee your second most wanted, but you must pay the price - your most desired character will never be in.

As for me, do I buy an Advance Wars character for the price of Isaac? Actually, no! I don't take that deal. I'll take my odds as I think playable Golden Sun will happen without the monkey's paw voodoo.
Phoenix gets in and Nathan Drake never gets in. Since Nathan Drake is likely not getting in I'll accept this

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Please provide a source for your claim otherwise I have to treat it as personal opinion/rumor.
She said that in a livestream of the game, so you can go watch that fot yourself
Tell me what's wrong about Xenoblade 2, especially compared to the original game. I wanna play the remake of the original and start with that. But if XB2 is bad, I might just leave it with the original.
I would need an hour of free time to go into detail, but basically, bad voice direction, not addressing some big criticisms from the previous game, combat being sluggish, a painfully slow beginning, removal of features, a camera that during a scene of a character's death would rather focus on Pyra's ass than the murderer, a DRASTICALLY different tone and style of gameplay from both of the prior games despite being hyped up as a game for people who were disappointed with X, Gacha elements in a single player game, a worse protagonist, no actual romance unlike with the first game but rather "All the girls want the protagonist because he's sooooooo cool", a different artstyle which is especially noticable with the image below and more I can't think of at the minute
gdhmbgt66qk31.jpg

I don't have a compilation of the Fiora artwork of the Xenoblade games but her differences in the 2 stle are also very noticable for the worse

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
She said that in a livestream of the game, so you can go watch that fot yourself

I would need an hour of free time to go into detail, but basically, bad voice direction, not addressing some big criticisms from the previous game, combat being sluggish, a painfully slow beginning, removal of features, a camera that during a scene of a character's death would rather focus on Pyra's ass than the murderer, a DRASTICALLY different tone and style of gameplay from both of the prior games despite being hyped up as a game for people who were disappointed with X, Gacha elements in a single player game, a worse protagonist, no actual romance unlike with the first game but rather "All the girls want the protagonist because he's sooooooo cool", a different artstyle which is especially noticable with the image below and more I can't think of at the minute
View attachment 267763
I don't have a compilation of the Fiora artwork of the Xenoblade games but her differences in the 2 stle are also very noticable for the worse
Dude, what's wrong with his pants in XBC2?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It seems weird to me that they didn't come out and tell us who the ARMS character is - seems like that could easily have been said, if they were gonna narrow it down to 15 or so characters anyway. Now watch them put in a brand new character and introduce them for ARMS as well as a brand new newcomer...people would riot.

And I'm still minorly salty that they didn't have any other Nintendo characters cross over in ARMS. After all, HE would be a natural. HE needs more love in the first place.

I know it's not the ARMS fans' favorite, but I'd really like a composite. I'd actually be excited for Spring Man as generic as he is, but if they did a Hero thing of Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min, I'd love it. Yeah yeah, personalities are different, but they all have the same basic bodytype and could just pool specials. After all Daisy, Ness, Simon, Richter, DSamus, the Dorf, Zelda, etc.... are all not 100% perfectly using only canon moves and peronalities...

Well... Tails, Midna, Urbosa - I've had to say good-bye to them already. So I'll keep them sacrificed for my Nordic hero. And if it has to be someone else to sacrifice since those three are technically already dead, I'll say Requiescat in Pace to Ezio and I'll let Soul Edge take Nightmare's soul in order to get the Blood of Akatosh playable in Smash.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I don't have a compilation of the Fiora artwork of the Xenoblade games but her differences in the 2 style are also very noticable for the worse
I'm not sure but to me they all look noticeably different besides 4 and ultimate, but of course they would be the similar.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Hey guys, instead of making fighter pass predictions why we don't talk about our "ideal" Fighters Pass? Our ultimate wishlist? I'll begin:
FP1: Min Min (ARMS)
FP2: Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
FP3: Shantae
FP4: Geno (Super Mario RPG)
FP5: Reiji and Xiaomu (Namco X Capcom/Project X Zone)
FP6: *Insert requested character*
Ideal huh? Well, I won't go full ideal since some picks wouldn't make it in over the main character, but..
FP1: Twintelle (ARMS)
FP2: Saber/Saber Alter (Fate/stay night)
FP3: Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria)
FP4: Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
FP5: 2B (NieR Automata)
FP6: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

View attachment 267763
I disagree on nearly every count, except for the Gacha Elements since its kinda pointless after a certain point..it wouldn't have been so annoying if there weren't Generic Blades and you got new ones each time..and I'll also agree that Rex is kinda bland and I didn't care for the typical harem-esque crap between him, Pyra, Mythra, and Nia..I still freakin' loved Nia, Poppy, and Pyra though.
As for the game's artstyle, I greatly prefer it to the first and second games' artstyles and I'm very glad that Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition is going for something more similar.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I guarantee all of my favourites and sacrifice all of the characters I hate!

I win! :^)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
My perfect pass

Pack 6: Spring Man/Ribbon Gilrl/Ninjara/Min Min (think Hero) with Sky Arena stage

Pack 7: Skull Kid with Clock Town stage

Pack 8: Bandana Dee with Another Dimension stage

Pack 9: King Boo with Last Resort stage

Pack 10: Rex and Pyra with letherian archipelago Stage

Pack 11: Dixie Kong with Homecoming Hijinx stage

Also I want to add, I'm happy Arms is here and would have a good chance of being there anyway

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
What do you guys want to see in the 8.0 balance patch (that we now have to wait until june for)?

I want to see:
- Captain Falcon's initial dash fixed/buffed so he's actually a fast character
- Falcon's hand to be invincible during U-tilt
- Cloud's grab to be added to the game
- A couple frames shaved off of Incin's grab or his grab range buffed to be as good as Bowser's -- so he's an actual grappler
- Little Mac being able to cancel spotdodges into his tilts, sort of like Terry
- Mii Brawler's grab and throws being buffed so it plays more like a grappler character. Alternatively, buff its airspeed back (its pretty much the only character to get an airpseed nerf between Smash 4 and Ultimate).

a big one:

- Ken & Ryu to get a Super Meter, which they can burn to use ShinSho and Shippu Jinrai respectively, by doing 2xQCF like Terry's Buster Wolf (they don't keep their meter like Terry, and it's still weaker than their Final Smash version).

and a niche one:

- Offense and Defense spirit stats giving the same bonus, instead of the defense bonus being much higher (would help the Amiibo meta a lot).

Last edited:

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
The hate, although obsession might be a more appropiate word at this point, around Xenoblade 2 reminds me a lot of the curious hatebase that developed around Fire Emblem Awakening. It has so many similar parallels:

Supposed long time fans complaining about how anime it is while seemingly ignoring every other entry in the series.

Insistence that the game was poorly received by players while all evidence points to the contrary (thanks to wynn for already posting the metacritic scores).

Longevity. Years after the game's release the hate is still going strong.

Dramatic exaggeration of supposed flaws that would be easily forgiven in other JRPGs, or flat-out ignored. Two prominent examples that come to mind:
- Complaints about harem/waifus. Just like Awakening. Even more laughable in the Smash fanbase here considering we got Joker and Byleth in the previous pass, literal self-inserts who get to **** whoever they want (like Joker getting to **** his hot teacher who moonlights as a sexy French maid) yet you don't hear a peep from these people.
- Complaints about filler plots, much like the Valm section of Awakening's plot. Usually having Tora as point of contention, despite the fact that artificial blades become a plot point later on and thus is by definition not filler, this is yet another "fault" that gets comically exaggerated. Does anyone care that Red XIII's subplot is completely unrelated to the rest of the plot of Final Fantasy VII? Did anyone have their experience ruined because of it?

Fearmongering that because of the game's success every entry in the series after it will be just as terrible, or worse.

General omnipresence in conversation. Even when the topic is centered on other games in the series, haters will still find a way to inject Awakening/XB2 in the discussion, ironically prolonging the longevity of these games.

I could keep going but you get the idea. I'm not worried though, if the parallels continue then Xenoblade has a bright future ahead of itself...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom