• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
As someone who is using being around during Brawl speculation as a point of pride, it's kinda weird to see you claim Smashboards is the only Smash forum ever, when during the Brawl era there was another pretty notable one.
lol I was being sarcastic.. someone asked who I was with others claiming I didn't know what I was talking about. And yes I had an account on the official Nintendo forums during that time before it closed down.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
lol I was being sarcastic.. someone asked who I was with others claiming I didn't know what I was talking about. And yes I had an account on the official Nintendo forums during that time before it closed down.
Figures this is the only reply of mine that would garner the details being critiqued. ;P

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I dunno, this guy seems to think all leaks are BS. He sounds pretty sharp to me!
Leaks aren't BS when they're actually leaks and not someone just saying random crap to get attention. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) we get more of the latter than the former.

>playing XC2 with English voices
Because I don't speak Japanese and like to listen to characters that I can understand. Also I pretty much never take issue with a voice actor's performance. Probably because I'm young.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm certain that if Rhythm Heaven was a platformer or an RPG we wouldn't even be having that conversation.

Smash is a celebration of all sects of gaming and Nintendo history. For me the weird deep cut characters are some of the most fun! Creating a character around music and rhythm is such an obvious direction for such a huge roster and it's a real shame we don't have any character that fulfills this.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Creating a character around music and rhythm is such an obvious direction for such a huge roster and it's a real shame we don't have any character that fulfills this.
Does Lucas count? :4lucas:Mother 3's battle system has rhythm based regular attacks.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Does Lucas count? :4lucas:Mother 3's battle system has rhythm based regular attacks.
Mother 3 is actually my favorite game of all time, I love it for many reasons including its focus on music. While it's a stretch to call Lucas a "rhythm game character", IIRC his jab actually does more damage when done to a beat... so that's something!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That sounds more like cancelling an attack like how you can go from c5S to f5S in Guilty Gear due to the Gatling system, not a timing challenge
Perhaps the timed hit should be a bit more beneficial than the untimed hit, but I think the approach is much better than "You messed up your Forward Tilt! You shall now fall on your butt for a big punish even though the first hit in the chain actually landed!" which is what I think most people picture when the mechanic is brought up.

Last edited:

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
Figures this is the only reply of mine that would garner the details being critiqued. ;P
Pretty sure I adressed all your points but at this point everyone is replying to me. Hard to reply to everyone.
But basically all of it revolves around an icon lol. That's pretty weak. Never denied the leak was legit to some degree but to claim that the chorus kid were factually planned based on a leak that had literally ONE unlikely prefiction(WFT) in its first part then in its second part got wrong a bunch of things is pretty dumb to me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Perhaps the timed hit should be more beneficial than the untimed hit, but I think the approach is much better than "You messed up your Forward Tilt! You shall now fall on your butt for a big punish even though the first hit in the chain actually landed!" which is what I think most people picture when the mechanic is brought up.
Thing is, that's the point of timed hits, it's like why L-cancel is an objectively bad mechanic, there's no reason not to do it. Timed hits is literally "Get it right and you get rewarded" but there's no situation you'd want to get it wrong

Louie G.

Smash Hero
But basically all of it revolves around an icon lol. That's pretty weak. Never denied the leak was legit to some degree but to claim that the chorus kid were factually planned based on a leak that had literally ONE unlikely prefiction(WFT) in its first part then in its second part got wrong a bunch of things is pretty dumb to me.
Your denial of this is like if I argued that, for some reason, those Mewtwo Roy and Dixie Kong files existed in Brawl... but they were never ever planned for the game and the Forbidden 7 is a big fluke. Nobody in their right mind is arguing this though. You say you're hearing this icon evidence (listed under playable characters, yes) but I don't think you are, because you go back and say the leak is the only evidence when it very clearly isn't

The Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run doubles down on this being, again, the only Nintendo enemy that exists in Smash Run and can't be tied to a playable (or previously playable) fighter. A Rhythm Heaven character was planned, lmao.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Pretty sure I adressed all your points but at this point everyone is replying to me. Hard to reply to everyone.
"This is a series icon right?"
"Yeah"
"This series icon was located in the file for characters, correct?"
"Yup"
"Then by extension, at some point a rhythm heaven character was planned to be playable"
"Uh huh"
"Then the gematsu leak had all the characters correct, but was made outdated by changes in plans"
"There's no evidence that points to that."

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Leaks aren't BS when they're actually leaks and not someone just saying random crap to get attention.
Nope. All leaks are BS all the time. And the ones that aren't were just lucky guesses.

are you okay in the head or are you just trying to find ways to insult him without doing it directly
No, I can assure you, you basically saying "You haven't been on this video game message board for years and made thousands of posts!" is not an insult to HIM.

People who use that argument to try and undermine someone else's viewpoint are always hilarious to me. As if having less of a life makes their viewpoint more valid.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Honestly this make me sad, but I have to agree. Rhythm heaven did some pretty ok-ish sales on the DS, but then for some reason each game (Fever and Mégamix) did less sales than the previous one. Not only I doubt we'll ever see Rhythm heaven in Smash with a playable characters, but I doubt we'll see the franchise ever again. It just seems that Nintendo didn't really cared about those games and they will probably just let the franchise die.
I mean, Nintendo did give it a shot, and I remember that they tried to push Fever a fair bit, but it just never went anywhere. Megamix got screwed though as a download only title for sure and just not really getting any promotion, but by then the series had shown an increasingly clear decline in sales. Kind of seems like all the "minigame collection" type titles have kind of fallen out of public favor altogether.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
How can something be partially legit? :drshrug: It either is or it isn't.
Some people can add/get fake info amongst the true info.
It happened with Three Houses leaks last year and the DMC V leaker added in some fake smash info.

But that didn't happen to Gematsu beyond getting reveal dates wrong for Shulk.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
First off, this:
"Yeah"
"Yup"
"Then by extension, at some point a rhythm heaven character was planned to be playable"
"Uh huh"
"Then the gematsu leak had all the characters correct, but was made outdated by changes in plans"
Also why are you so eager to deny this leak that got TWO out of 11 things wrong. One of which was barely even wrong, Sakurai himself said Chrom was to be playable? The only thing the leaks POTENTIALLY could've gotten wrong is the Rhythm Heaven character, which as we've proved to you 10 times now, was in the plans.

Sakurai isn't gonna text you back dude

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No, I can assure you, you basically saying "You haven't been on this video game message board for years and made thousands of posts!" is not an insult to HIM.
Then clearly, if it was an insult, it would have to go to someone. It surely isn't me. :denzel:

Some people can add/get fake info amongst the true info.
It happened with Three Houses leaks last year and the DMC V leaker added in some fake smash info.

But that didn't happen to Gematsu beyond getting reveal dates wrong for Shulk.
I was asking in context of Gematsu.

It's hard to think of one leaker ever that's always been correct.
What about Shinobi?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I love how the most even this statement is something I disagree on with XB2 fans because I always make it a point to **** on the direction instead of the actors who literally weren't able to do a better job due to the garbage circumstances as if this was a pre-2000 game
Yeah, I know that a bunch of the actors have talent and were crippled by terrible direction. It's a damn shame too because I vastly prefer the dub of XC1 over the JPN voices.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, I know that a bunch of the actors have talent and were crippled by terrible direction. It's a damn shame too because I vastly prefer the dub of XC1 over the JPN voices.
Yeah, cause Adam Howden yelling "I'LL KILL YOUUUU" sounds like he's on the verge of breaking down on the spot due to the combination of shock, sorrow and rage. The "What did I just?" line before that has Shulk sound dazed in the JP version yet Howden managed to convey a more realistic delivery of "The **** just happened? What's going on?". Also JP Dunban makes me cry

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Yeah, cause Adam Howden yelling "I'LL KILL YOUUUU" sounds like he's on the verge of breaking down on the spot due to the combination of shock, sorrow and rage. The "What did I just?" line before that has Shulk sound dazed in the JP version yet Howden managed to convey a more realistic delivery of "The **** just happened? What's going on?". Also JP Dunban makes me cry
Alright, I agree with everything else but you don't diss Vegeta like that.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Nope. All leaks are BS all the time. And the ones that aren't were just lucky guesses.

People who use that argument to try and undermine someone else's viewpoint are always hilarious to me. As if having less of a life makes their viewpoint more valid.
Luigi was talking about speculation at that time. If he wasn't around, then he has less authority on that point. I think most eye witness testimony from years ago on something as vague as salience of a topic is pretty useless, though.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
The more I play New Horizons and look at how huge of a success this game is in terms of sales, the more I think Tom Nook should be a playable character. He is a missing Nintendo All-Star at this point

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Thing is, that's the point of timed hits, it's like why L-cancel is an objectively bad mechanic, there's no reason not to do it. Timed hits is literally "Get it right and you get rewarded" but there's no situation you'd want to get it wrong
You do have a point, though that's kind of how the Rhythm Heaven series works; you get nothing for failure. I think it's worth including for flavor even if it doesn't present much of an effect in gameplay. And of course, it's going to require a lot more thought for actual implementation, and may even become something more meaningful along the way. Perhaps just injecting rhythm into the characters attacks without requiring the more precise inputs from the player (as in, it doesn't matter if you're mashing, the attacks will come out rhythmically) will suffice.

Or more likely, we won't ever get a Rhythm Heaven character and you won't have to deal with the mechanic at all, ever.

Excuse you, he's no king but a prince. The prince of all the vegetables.
Didn't his father die when his planet was destroyed? Wouldn't that make him king?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's not about wanting to get it wrong, it's about being bad at timing like I am.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is one of the most baffling takes around because literally all it does is show people you refuse to or are incapable of acknowledging reality.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
"Yeah"
"Yup"
"Uh huh"
correct me if I'm wrong but the list of icons in the fighter file included Nintendogs, and balloonfighter according to what I read on sourcegaming... either way icons are a weak arguement to act like its a fact.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The more I play New Horizons and look at how huge of a success this game is in terms of sales, the more I think Tom Nook should be a playable character. He is a missing Nintendo All-Star at this point
Personally I'd prefer Blathers. He's the best.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Perhaps he’d be more interesting, but Tom Nook feels missing from the line-up in a post-New Horizons world

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I wouldn't mind a third AC character, but comparing Tom Nook to an ARMS character is a pretty good way to illustrate why I don't think he'll happen in this pass.

One character has obvious moveset potential from the get-go. The other would have to be made from scratch and would require a lot of creative thinking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom