• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I legitimately have no idea what you're talking about. Nintendo wouldn't avoid having an E3 Direct because other companies are revealing things. That's never been the way it has worked.
I was saying that an E3 digital direct would shaft Nintendo to focus more on the PS5 and XBox Series X.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And now we're going to have to wait until September to see FP6.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know, maybe a general direct being announced in the afternoon/evening wouldn’t be unprecedented given the schedule upsets with this outbreak

after all we still don’t know **** about Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and a bunch of outlets have been saying May 29th for a release

D

Deleted member

It's like we can get a direct in April and there's no proof Nintendo will skip out on a summer direct.

There is like no reason to panic.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
What about the idea of Rex functioning like Pokemon Trainer only the opposite with him him fighting and his blades (Pyra, Mythra and Nia) in the background?
Also terrible. Stop put these Pyra and Mythra in the background, they can bloody fight and would allow for a more interesting looking characters by having the two alternate who gets to attack.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also terrible. Stop put these Pyra and Mythra in the background, they can bloody fight and would allow for a more interesting looking characters by having the two alternate who gets to attack.
The issue is that they don't in vanilla Xenoblade Chronicles. If you were to have them be a tag team character you would have to use Lora and Jin instead.

zferolie

Smash Hero
gee whiz it's almost like there's a worldwide pandemic disrupting almost every company's financial operations or something and the japanese government's been handling it ****ing awfully up until two days ago because they wanted to make the country appear safe for the olympics

they probably intended to have a direct this month but practically every company's schedule has been thrown way out of whack
I would just like nintendo to at least say that then. They havent commented on this virus at all or what steps they are taking i beleive.

Surprise, it was nothing.

What a ridiculous move to have Byleth be your final announcement knowing it was going to get massive backlash, have Vol 2 available for purchase, and show nothing about it for a couple of months now. I can feel the love from Sakurai.
Sakurai did say we would have to wait awhile till the next fighter. Guess he was right.

But man byleth is a lot of fun, but yes not the most hype. Still no need to be so angry.

It's like we can get a direct in April and there's no proof Nintendo will skip out on a summer direct.

There is like no reason to panic.
People thinking we are waiting til june are nuts. Nintendo is a business. They have to please the investors so they need to say something in april at least. Its still possible we can get an announcement later today though due to the virus issues.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Other companies have sold expansion passes without detailing what's in them.
Yeah, but I don't buy them.

Like, I ended up buying every Street Fighter 5 season pass, but I didn't get them till I knew who all the characters were to make sure there were no guest characters or Evil Ryu-type character(guess what, I didn't buy Kage). Which in some cases meant waiting, like, 9 months to get the pass.

I didn't do that with Smash Ultimate...

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Yeah, but I don't buy them.

Like, I ended up buying every Street Fighter 5 season pass, but I didn't get them till I knew who all the characters were to make sure there were no Evil Ryu type characters or guest characters. Which in some cases meant waiting, like, 9 months to get the pass.

I didn't do that with Smash Ultimate...
You wont buy a SFV pass if there are guest characters?

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
You know, maybe a general direct being announced in the afternoon/evening wouldn’t be unprecedented given the schedule upsets with this outbreak

after all we still don’t know **** about Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and a bunch of outlets have been saying May 29th for a release
This is what I’m thinking, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Still, it’s possible.

Seems like April or May. It’s been so long at this point that if it gets any longer, I can practically hear the disappointment incoming from people when the direct finally comes and there might not be too much to show.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You wont buy a SFV pass if there are guest characters?
Nah man. I hate guest characters unless the game is inherently a crossover game where EVERYONE is technically a guest character, or literally every canon character in the series is already in the game and there's nobody left to add.

I ain't paying a company to put some noncanon commercial for somebody else's game in their core game...

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Nah man. I hate guest characters unless the game is inherently a crossover game where EVERYONE is technically a guest character, or literally every canon character in the series is already in the game and there's nobody left to add.

I ain't paying a company to put some noncanon commercial for somebody else's game in their core game...
picky picky

Guest characters are always my favorite additions -- which is why Smash is so hype for me, given it's all guest characters. The additions of Akuma and Geese are the only reasons I was ever remotely interested in Tekken, Predator is the reason I bought MKX, and Spawn is the only thing pulling me toward MK11.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

What if you like the character? Oh wait, you don't like new characters to that doesn't happen.

(Potentially kinda rude) jokes aside, what's your opinion on Cody and Guy in the Street Fighter series? They're technically crossover characters even though I guess their games are cannon to the Street Fighter series now.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The additions of Akuma and Geese are the only reasons I was ever remotely interested in Tekken, Predator is the reason I bought MKX, and Spawn is the only thing pulling me toward MK11.
Yeah, see, if I need a guest character to get me interested in a game, I clearly don't actually LIKE that game to begin with and don't need to buy it in the first place.

If I DO already like the game, I want more characters from THAT game, not characters from some other game. I'll just go play THAT game instead if that's who I really want.

Like, I love Street Fighter and don't care about Tekken. Putting a little SF in Tekken isn't going to make me buy Tekken. But if I already liked Tekken, that SF character is taking a slot from another Tekken character.

what's your opinion on Cody and Guy in the Street Fighter series? They're technically crossover characters even though I guess their games are cannon to the Street Fighter series now.
Final Fight has ALWAYS taken place in the same universe as Street Fighter, and I'm completely fine with FF characters in SF. Though only PCs and Bosses. I kinda get annoyed when a generic Mad Gear thug gets elevated to the same level as a SF character.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
“What could Nintendo possibly have left to show that isn’t a new title?”

(First image broke, it’s that Will Smith Tada meme)

like come on it was announced at the same time as Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore and THAT is already out, tbf it’s just an enhanced port with new controls, better loading times and some new features while XCDE is from the ground up apparently, but STILL

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

like come on it was announced at the same time as Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore and THAT is already out, tbf it’s just an enhanced port with new controls, better loading times and some new features while XCDE is from the ground up apparently, but STILL
I mean, a remake of a game that got a port 5 years ago may not be considered new by some

zferolie

Smash Hero

We only got a teaser trailer, no date, no info on what exactly it will have either. I am super excited for the game yes but we basically know nothing about it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
We only got a teaser trailer, no date, no info on what exactly it will have either. I am super excited for the game yes but we basically know nothing about it
I mean, we know the story, gameplay mechanics, 7 party members, most if not all of the OST, etc. People keep acting like Xenoblade's gotten shafted super hard recently but Xenoblade has it really good when compared to games we've known to exist for 3 years now

zferolie

Smash Hero
Some nice news from Nintendo

I mean, we know the story, gameplay mechanics, 7 party members, most if not all of the OST, etc. People keep acting like Xenoblade's gotten shafted super hard recently but Xenoblade has it really good when compared to games we've known to exist for 3 years now
True, but it was teasing new areas that only big fans of the series would have noticed. Also curious what QoL changes have been made as well, or if any new characters or stuff could happen.

I think some people feel xenoblade got screwed over moreso with smash, thanks to rex and pyra missing out but Byelth got in despite the game being newer.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

True, but it was teasing new areas that only big fans of the series would have noticed. Also curious what QoL changes have been made as well, or if any new characters or stuff could happen.

I think some people feel xenoblade got screwed over moreso with smash, thanks to rex and pyra missing out but Byelth got in despite the game being newer.
And Elma from X, who would have been perfect timing wise, is currently a Spirit. and no X music whatsoever while 2 at least has tunes

speaking of X... I kinda just wanna breeze to X Definitive Edition already, but I think that rides on XCDE succeeding

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, see, if I need a guest character to get me interested in a game, I clearly don't actually LIKE that game to begin with and don't need to buy it in the first place.

If I DO already like the game, I want more characters from THAT game, not characters from some other game. I'll just go play THAT game instead if that's who I really want.

Like, I love Street Fighter and don't care about Tekken. Putting a little SF in Tekken isn't going to make me buy Tekken. But if I already liked Tekken, that SF character is taking a slot from another Tekken character.
I think crossover characters have appeal for three reasons:
  1. You like series x. You also like series y. Put them together (correctly) and it's doubly awesome.
  2. The crossover piques your interest, and now you find the game at least worth checking out.
  3. You love the series way too much and will consume anything with any sort of relation to it.
Most people don't fall under #3 but eh.

Final Fight has ALWAYS taken place in the same universe as Street Fighter, and I'm completely fine with FF characters in SF. Though only PCs and Bosses. I kinda get annoyed when a generic Mad Gear thug gets elevated to the same level as a SF character.
Well at that point you're just making a new character with a old game sprite as an inspiration. That being said though Abigail is still a really stupid character and I'm not just talking about his intellect.

zferolie

Smash Hero
And Elma from X, who would have been perfect timing wise, is currently a Spirit. and no X music whatsoever while 2 at least has tunes

speaking of X... I kinda just wanna breeze to X Definitive Edition already, but I think that rides on XCDE succeeding
Yeah poor Elma too. Surprised they just didnt add her, or maybe she was planned but cut. I mean sakurai did tweet he bought a figure for a game he was working on, and no one has shown any charcter in the game currently that ties to that model.

I would like an X remaster. Its the ladt wii u game that needs it i feel

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I like how street fighter hasn't had a proper guest fighter. Gives he series a unique sense of purity.

On that note, Capcom should really add a Rival schools character to the roster. That also canobically exists in the same universe as sf but nobody ever talks about it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I get that but when compared to Bayonetta 3 and SMTV, Xenoblade fans seem like children crying because they only got half a biscuit for a snack.

I mean, people who believe that are dumb, had 3H and XB2's release dates been swapped then Rex would be playable, Sakurai wasn't comfortable getting a potentially complex character with unique abilities on board before getting finalized because for all he knew, Rex may have ended up becoming a party member instead of the protag and end up getting wildly different abilities. Byleth's game was at least close to finishing development by the time they were chosen, it's two different situations yet people like to pretend they're the same

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah poor Elma too. Surprised they just didnt add her, or maybe she was planned but cut. I mean sakurai did tweet he bought a figure for a game he was working on, and no one has shown any charcter in the game currently that ties to that model.

I would like an X remaster. Its the ladt wii u game that needs it i feel
That and Hiroyuki Sawano had a secret project that lines up with Smash Ultimate’s development (he’s X’s composer) and Caitlin Glass (Elma’s VO) announced a NDA voice role when it was announced that the dlc lineup was complete. We still dunno what that is

zferolie

Smash Hero
I get that but when compared to Bayonetta 3 and SMTV, Xenoblade fans seem like children crying because they only got half a biscuit for a snack.

I mean, people who believe that are dumb, had 3H and XB2's release dates been swapped then Rex would be playable, Sakurai wasn't comfortable getting a potentially complex character with unique abilities on board before getting finalized because for all he knew, Rex may have ended up becoming a party member instead of the protag and end up getting wildly different abilities. Byleth's game was at least close to finishing development by the time they were chosen, it's two different situations yet people like to pretend they're the same
Yeah we still know nothing about SMT5, not even if its still being made. At least bayo 3 and prime 4 we got some news... what the heck happened to that game?!

I agree. I do wish he go in and it sounded like Sakurai really wanted him in. Surprised he wasnt dlc either... maybe fp2 if its what fan requested characters.

That and Hiroyuki Sawano had a secret project that lines up with Smash Ultimate’s development (he’s X’s composer) and Caitlin Glass (Elma’s VO) announced a NDA voice role when it was announced that the dlc lineup was complete. We still dunno what that is
Lots of stuff was pointing to her but nothing. I really wonder how many characters were planned but cut

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

To be fair, that Shadaloo Combat Character Guide or whatever it was called gave most if not all the generic enemy thugs new backstories, so they at least have SOMETHING to work with. Then again, that was only for the original three games, and they haven't updated again in almost a year now...
I like how street fighter hasn't had a proper guest fighter. Gives he series a unique sense of purity.

On that note, Capcom should really add a Rival schools character to the roster. That also canobically exists in the same universe as sf but nobody ever talks about it.
Apparently, Final Fight, Slam Masters, and Rival Schools all take place in the Street Fighter universe, with Captain Commando and Strider being hinted at, but not confirmed. If Street Fighter All-Stars becomes a thing, they have PLENTY to work with.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That being said though Abigail is still a really stupid character and I'm not just talking about his intellect.
Agreed. He's awful, and also completely redundant in a series that already had Hugo.

The problem I have with RS characters is that they're basically all Japanese teenagers. And SF already has several Japanese teenager characters as it is. They don't really bring anything to SF.

Same deal with Slam Masters. Which also takes place in the SF universe. But it's all pro wrestlers. And SF already has, like, 5 pro wrestlers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom