• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Like what first party characters would even be DLC at this point?

I just can't see a new IP like Ring Fit Adventure making it in if ARMS and Astral Chain couldn't, and I just don't see Nintendo interested in including older characters that arguably missed their shot at the base roster like Dixie, Rex, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, etc. Those just feel like wishful thinking.

Honestly, Pokemon and Fire Emblem are the two IPs that make the most sense to get new characters through DLC, because they're the two Nintendo series that are constantly getting new games with new marketable characters to promote. Neither of them are very exciting prospects.

So that's basically why I'd prefer more third parties at this point in time.
I still think that a Zelda newcomer is quite possible. Due to timing a Xenoblade 1 character is also posible.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Also chosing Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. as examples are not good comparisons.
Mr. Game & Watch is older than Mario, that series essentially started portable gaming. The Game & Watch series is a legacy, one of the pioneers of video game history. In a series of celebrating video game history of course Mr. Game & Watch had to be a part of Smash Bros.
Comparing R.O.B. to Mega Man is different because Brawl was when third parties were extremely new so not many really knew what to expect from them, except for Sonic. Like out of all the third party character that could get into Brawl Sonic had to be on the top of that list. Also Nintendo owns R.O.B. while Capcom owned Mega Man, so comparing them on how one got in first doesn't really work well due to licensing. It's going to be a lot easier getting that characters you already own in a game than it is for a character someone else owns.
No offense to anyone who likes these guys, but people only say **** like this about Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. because they've been in the series since Melee, so people have had plenty of time to warm up to them. Do you think people would be as accepting of them as they are if they debuted in this game? Do you think people would be alright if Roy or Young Link joined Smash right now as opposed to Melee? If these guys were added to Smash today I guarentee they'd be considered on the same level as Byleth, with most people going "Now who the **** are THESE GUYS?! Where the hell is Rex, Spring Man, Isaac, Geno, Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee, Phoenix Wright, etc?".

And since you've brought up the whole "legacy" argument, can I just take a moment to point out how hypocritical everyone is with this ****? People only ever bring up a character's legacy when they're trying to build a character up. For example: "Phoenix Wright has such a strong legacy! So many amazing games stretching back since a decade ago at least! He's basically responsible for getting people into the whole Visual Novel genre! He totally deserves to be in Smash!" But when it comes down to a character they don't want/like, however, ehh that doesn't matter, they're really insignificant and people are putting way too much stock in them.

This is exactly what you're doing right now, by the way. You're bringing up Mr. Game & Watch's legacy in an attempt to invalidate my argument, but when it comes to a character like, say... Piranha Plant, suddenly legacy doesn't matter much anymore. Not to sound like Viridi over here, but I could write a big, long thesis on the legacy of Piranha Plant and the impact it's had on gaming as a whole. I could go on and on about it's numerous game appearances, it's incredibly varied attacks, and it's wildly different subspecies, all in an effort to convince you that Piranha Plant was a worthy addition to Smash. But it wouldn't matter, because legacy doesn't matter when it comes to characters people don't like/care for.

And with regards to the R.O.B. and Mega Man comparison, you're just flat out missing the point. The reasons that these characters doesn't matter whatsoever. R.O.B. got in before Mega Man, yet Mega Man still got in come Smash 4.

As for Dark Pit and K. Rool here that thing, Sakurai made Kid Icarus Uprising and effectively made Dark Pit. Of course Sakurai's own character was going to have a better shot getting into Smash Bros, especially with him being a clone character which requires less work to make.
>Sakurai Bias
Are we in 2012 again? How the hell is this seriously an argument people are still making today? Kirby was one of the worst characters in Melee, and Pit is regularly considered not very good. If Sakurai had a bias for his characters, they'd all be top tier and we wouldn't have gotten the likes of
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...s-claims-for-the-smash-bros-roster-balancing/

"Oh, but I'm not talking about balancing, I'm talking about the character selections." Even then, how the hell can you argue Sakurai Bias here when most of your assertions regarding who's coming to Ultimate boil down to "Nintendo is the one choosing the DLC"? Unless you expect me to believe that Sakurai had more freedom to choose who he personally wanted during Smash 4 compared to Ultimate, and somewhere down the line the decided to "reign him in" and have more control over who gets in. For some reason.

So the fact that Waluigi fill the role of what Sakurai wanted and yet still got lost to a Piranha Plant despite having a lot of things going for him is a huge indication that Waluigi is just not going to happen as a playable. It's never going to be Waluigi Time. I'm good with that.
ok wynn

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I just can't see a new IP like Ring Fit Adventure making it in if ARMS and Astral Chain couldn't, and I just don't see Nintendo interested in including older characters that arguably missed their shot at the base roster like Dixie, Rex, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, etc. Those just feel like wishful thinking.

Honestly, Pokemon and Fire Emblem are the two IPs that make the most sense to get new characters through DLC, because they're the two Nintendo series that are constantly getting new games with new marketable characters to promote. Neither of them are very exciting prospects.

Rex couldn’t make it, but Elma or Fiora could. They’re both Spirits, and Fiora’s in Shulk’s FS (for a counterpoint to that, see :ultchrom:) but Sakurai didn’t essentially say “they’ll get their chance another day” like he basically did for Rex. plus Xenoblade DE is on the way, with a potential Xenoblade X DE to follow if the former does well enough. Nintendo’s ALL about those promotional tie ins when it comes to first party DLC (with the exception of PP)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I just don't see Nintendo interested in including older characters that arguably missed their shot at the base roster
I just don't see Nintendo going for Banjo-Kazooie when Mocrosoft has a far, far better selling game in their library that kids are more familiar with oh wait. Plus, you think they wouldn't think 8 million views on a Waluigi video would equal millions of sales?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm sorry but I don't see the point of promoting a remaster whose main character is already included in Smash Bros. lol

The most you're gonna get is a picture on the Smash twitter commemorating its release, like what they did for Luigi's Mansion 3.

I still think that a Zelda newcomer is quite possible. Due to timing a Xenoblade 1 character is also posible.
I've kind of thought about maybe BOTW Zelda as a fighter to promote BOTW2. Perhaps have her moveset be based around the champion's abilities that Link doesn't use in his moveset (i.e Revali's Gale as her recovery).

Main problem is that Sakurai seems to think she isn't suited to being a fighter in Smash. He even brought that up again when discussing Byleth's inclusion.

I just don't see Nintendo going for Banjo-Kazooie when Mocrosoft has a far, far better selling game in their library that kids are more familiar with oh wait. Plus, you think they wouldn't think 8 million views on a Waluigi video would equal millions of sales?
Third parties are a different case entirely, it seems.

Outside of PP who was clearly a base roster character cut for time, the only Nintendo newcomers we've gotten as DLC are Corrin and Byleth, two promotional characters from new installments. I think that says it all.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I'm sorry but I don't see the point of promoting a remaster whose main character is already included in Smash Bros. lol

The most you're gonna get is a picture on the Smash twitter commemorating its release, like what they did for Luigi's Mansion 3.

I've kind of thought about maybe BOTW Zelda as a fighter to promote BOTW2. Perhaps have her moveset be based around the champion's abilities that Link doesn't use in his moveset (i.e Revali's Gale as her recovery).

Main problem is that Sakurai seems to think she isn't suited to being a fighter in Smash. He even brought that up again when discussing Byleth's inclusion.

Third parties are a different case entirely, it seems.
Not to mention Fighter's Pass 2 already has a Zelda Mii costume and the series has a hard enough time getting existing characters into the game that aren't the Triforce Trio.

But if that's done and hypothetically Pokemon is out due to Spirits, who else could they get? I imagine they'd want at least one Nintendo guy in this pass too, not just because of it's slightly bigger size but because Byleth appearing at the end and after every other addition was 3rd party seemed to establish Nintendo will always want one of their characters in their Smash DLC wave thing.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I somewhat agree with Dixie and I'm on the fence regarding Rex's mii costume. However, I don't think Bandana Dee or Waluigi are too out there in terms of being DLC. Bandana Dee crushed the ballot and Waluigi has a massive outreach. If Banjo and Hero were realizable as DLC thanks to fan demand, why wouldn't the same happen with Bandana Dee or Waluigi?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I somewhat agree with Dixie and I'm on the fence regarding Rex's mii costume. However, I don't think Bandana Dee or Waluigi are too out there in terms of being DLC. Bandana Dee crushed the ballot and Waluigi has a massive outreach. If Banjo and Hero were realizable as DLC thanks to fan demand, why wouldn't the same happen with Bandana Dee or Waluigi?
Because again, they chose one first party character to be included in FP1...and it was a newer promotional one.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Because again, they chose one first party character to be included in FP1...and it was a newer promotional one.
It was chosen when they couldn't take into consideration 8 million people being dissatisfied at Waluigi still being an AT. Regardless of why that video was watched, the billion dollar corporation would take that view count and think "Gee, that sure is a lot of money we could make off Waluigi in Smash!"

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
You could say Banjo took up a ballot-related slot.
For what's precedented in DLC, this is also the first time we've had a second wave of DLC for the same game. Sure they prioritised a FE promotion in both first DLC waves, but what's there to go to now that doesn't have Spirits awkwardness or untested IP nature attached?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
One character really isn't a large enough sample to justify saying only new, promotional characters can get into Smash. By this same logic, Fire Emblem is the only Nintendo series that can be DLC because it's the only one we've seen so far.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
One character really isn't a large enough sample to justify saying only new, promotional characters can get into Smash. By this same logic, Fire Emblem is the only Nintendo series that can be DLC because it's the only one we've seen so far.
Heck, that technically isn't even true given Piranha Plant.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even though it hasn't been confirmed Banjo was definitely 100% an ballot pick as:ultkrool::ultridley:and:ultsimon::ultrichter:were.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Regardless of why that video was watched, the billion dollar corporation would take that view count and think "Gee, that sure is a lot of money we could make off Waluigi in Smash!"
You say "Regardless of why that video was watched" but the billion dollar corporation A. probably isn't even aware of the video. And B. Would care very much why the video was watched and isn't likely to just assume it means what you wished it meant.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm not entirely convinced a bunch of old Japanese businessmen care about some memes on the internet.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I suspect we're gonna get at least 1 or 2 first parties at most.

I also think we'll get another fan favorite as well too. My nomination is Crash.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
No offense to anyone who likes these guys, but people only say **** like this about Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. because they've been in the series since Melee, so people have had plenty of time to warm up to them. Do you think people would be as accepting of them as they are if they debuted in this game? Do you think people would be alright if Roy or Young Link joined Smash right now as opposed to Melee? If these guys were added to Smash today I guarentee they'd be considered on the same level as Byleth, with most people going "Now who the **** are THESE GUYS?! Where the hell is Rex, Spring Man, Isaac, Geno, Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee, Phoenix Wright, etc?".

And since you've brought up the whole "legacy" argument, can I just take a moment to point out how hypocritical everyone is with this ****? People only ever bring up a character's legacy when they're trying to build a character up. For example: "Phoenix Wright has such a strong legacy! So many amazing games stretching back since a decade ago at least! He's basically responsible for getting people into the whole Visual Novel genre! He totally deserves to be in Smash!" But when it comes down to a character they don't want/like, however, ehh that doesn't matter, they're really insignificant and people are putting way too much stock in them.

This is exactly what you're doing right now, by the way. You're bringing up Mr. Game & Watch's legacy in an attempt to invalidate my argument, but when it comes to a character like, say... Piranha Plant, suddenly legacy doesn't matter much anymore. Not to sound like Viridi over here, but I could write a big, long thesis on the legacy of Piranha Plant and the impact it's had on gaming as a whole. I could go on and on about it's numerous game appearances, it's incredibly varied attacks, and it's wildly different subspecies, all in an effort to convince you that Piranha Plant was a worthy addition to Smash. But it wouldn't matter, because legacy doesn't matter when it comes to characters people don't like/care for.
Piranha Plant doesn't have a legacy. It's literally Generic Enemy #3, if anything Goomba is the one with the legacy seeing how it's the first enemy of Super Mario Bros. When talking about mook enemies nobody say "Oh, those are the Piranha Plant of this game," no they go "This is the Goomba of this game." You're acting like Piranha Plant is the foundation of enemy types when they're the third enemy type you actually encounter in World 1-2. You see Goombas and Koopas first before you even see a Piranha Plant. Hell, Piranha Plant acts more of an obstacle instead of an actual enemy. So if anything if going to be a generic enemy added to Smash Bros if should've been the one that had the most impact on the gaming industry, Goomba. So there's also many different Goomba subspecies, they're in just as many games as Piranha Plant, and they're actually playable in way more games than Piranha Plant. But I guess once a character becomes playable you can just make up a legacy for that character.

Also you're going about how people would react if characters like ROB and whoever appeared in Ultimate and you're forgetting the context.
Melee had 14 Newcomers
Brawl had 18
Smash 4 had 17 for it's base, but with DLC had total of 21 after DLC
Smash Ultimate only had 6 newcomers for it's base and Piranha Plant was suppose to be part of that base roster boosting it to 7.

When you have low amount of new characters added in then that one crappy character is going to stick out like the biggest of sore thumbs.
Let's do some math. One character in Melee's Newcomers takes up 7.12%. One character in Brawl's Newcomers takes up 5.56%. One character in Smash 4 base Newcomer takes up 5.88%. Now with Ultimate's orignal seven base newcomers Piranha Plant takes up 14.29% of the selection. That's way more than any of the other character that get added into the past games. Many newcomers are more acceptable because they're coming with a lot of other character. If you're going to limit the number of newcomers that are added in a game then you have to focus on quality, each one has to be a winner. Ultimate's base was going in that direction with for it's first five, dipped with Incineroar, and had a huge fall with Piranha Plant.

Had Piranha Plant came with a lot of characters then it could be more acceptable like all the other characters like Roy and ROB, but it's so low and you have to buy what's equivalent of a whole game just to increase that newcomer count to be comparable to what originally came before then it just doesn't work at all.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Piranha Plant doesn't have a legacy. It's literally Generic Enemy #3, if anything Goomba is the one with the legacy seeing how it's the first enemy of Super Mario Bros. When talking about mook enemies nobody say "Oh, those are the Piranha Plant of this game," no they go "This is the Goomba of this game." You're acting like Piranha Plant is the foundation of enemy types when they're the third enemy type you actually encounter in World 1-2. You see Goombas and Koopas first before you even see a Piranha Plant. Hell, Piranha Plant acts more of an obstacle instead of an actual enemy. So if anything if going to be a generic enemy added to Smash Bros if should've been the one that had the most impact on the gaming industry, Goomba. So there's also many different Goomba subspecies, they're in just as many games as Piranha Plant, and they're actually playable in way more games than Piranha Plant. But I guess once a character becomes playable you can just make up a legacy for that character.

Also you're going about how people would react if characters like ROB and whoever appeared in Ultimate and you're forgetting the context.
Melee had 14 Newcomers
Brawl had 18
Smash 4 had 17 for it's base, but with DLC had total of 21 after DLC
Smash Ultimate only had 6 newcomers for it's base and Piranha Plant was suppose to be part of that base roster boosting it to 7.

When you have low amount of new characters added in then that one crappy character is going to stick out like the biggest of sore thumbs.
Let's do some math. One character in Melee's Newcomers takes up 7.12%. One character in Brawl's Newcomers takes up 5.56%. One character in Smash 4 base Newcomer takes up 5.88%. Now with Ultimate's orignal seven base newcomers Piranha Plant takes up 14.29% of the selection. That's way more than any of the other character that get added into the past games. Many newcomers are more acceptable because they're coming with a lot of other character. If you're going to limit the number of newcomers that are added in a game then you have to focus on quality, each one has to be a winner. Ultimate's base was going in that direction with for it's first five, dipped with Incineroar, and had a huge fall with Piranha Plant.

Had Piranha Plant came with a lot of characters then it could be more acceptable like all the other characters like Roy and ROB, but it's so low and you have to buy what's equivalent of a whole game just to increase that newcomer count to be comparable to what originally came before then it just doesn't work at all.
Piranha Plant might not be as iconic as Goomba, but I still feel like random strangers could look at a pic of PP and say something along the lines of, "Isn't that the plant thing from Mario?"

You might be prioritizing iconicness at the expense of moveset potential. I don't think many people would disagree with me when I say PP was one of the most interesting mook characters Sakurai could've chosen.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Nintendo Europe’s twitter posted this:

This HAS to be leading up to something
Nah, they're showing it because we waited an entire year for the Fighters Pass to come out. :ultpacman:

We had to look on in envy that Japan and America got to play with the DLC characters first!

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo Europe’s twitter posted this:

This HAS to be leading up to something
Nintendo Europe has been highlighting the Mii costumes and the characters from the first Fighters Pass today, so this could just be advertising.

That being said, I'm hoping for a reveal within this month.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It was just strange people thought they'd actually go with someone far less prolific than Terry, from a far smaller series, who isn't even the series' protagonist, given even Terry is probably the least visible third-party we've received so far.
I don't agree at all. I guess it depends on the perspective and all, but even with that I don't think Terry's is the smaller third party character by any means when we have Joker, Banjo and Bayonetta. Certainly characters like Joker feel more popular now, but that doesn't make him a bigger figure than Terry, and I love Persona.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't agree at all. I guess it depends on the perspective and all, but even with that I don't think Terry's is the smaller third party character by any means when we have Joker, Banjo and Bayonetta. Certainly characters like Joker feel more popular now, but that doesn't make him a bigger figure than Terry, and I love Persona.
One of the third-parties is the least visible, but no matter who is said to fill that role, someone will disagree.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Piranha Plant might not be as iconic as Goomba, but I still feel like random strangers could look at a pic of PP and say something along the lines of, "Isn't that the plant thing from Mario?"

You might be prioritizing iconicness at the expense of moveset potential. I don't think many people would disagree with me when I say PP was one of the most interesting mook characters Sakurai could've chosen.
You say that because it's already done and you saw the end results. Before the reveal I doubt anyone would say that Piranha Plant would be the most interesting mook character to make playable, but then again barely anyone asked for that. Sakurai and his team can make any character interesting with the effort they puts into making playable characters, it just only depend if they have an interest in making that character playable or not.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
You say that because it's already done and you saw the end results. Before the reveal I doubt anyone would say that Piranha Plant would be the most interesting mook character to make playable, but then again barely anyone asked for that. Sakurai and his team can make any character interesting with the effort they puts into making playable characters, it just only depend if they have an interest in making that character playable or not.
In the end, the only people who need to 'ask' for a character are Sakurai and Nintendo. They decide who gets in, not us; but ever since the Ballot, where Sakurai asked us who we wanted, people have acted like fan demand should be the only criteria when choosing a character.

But you are right, Sakurai and his team make every playable character interesting, regardless of fan demand.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I don't realistically see too many, if any first party characters happening for this pass (especially upgrades) but I'll continue to hope for another Xenoblade character regardless.

Just gimme Rex or Fiora, pls.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Agreed. Persona 5 and Bayonetta might be bigger than any given game that Terry is in, but they aren't bigger the the Fatal Fury and King of Fighters franchises as a whole.

You say that because it's already done and you saw the end results. Before the reveal I doubt anyone would say that Piranha Plant would be the most interesting mook character to make playable, but then again barely anyone asked for that.
This. If I'd had to pick a Mario mook to make playable, it absolutely would have been a Hammer Bro(with moves taken from all the various Bros. variants).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The difference between 2B and Doom Guy's situation is that it's possible the Marty Stratton interview might be deflection if ID software approached Nintendo instead of being approached. 2B is still possible if Sakurai communicated with Yoko Taro over a phone but that just seems like a weak guess.
They're both still possible, but to be honest, the other one is a weak guess too.

People like to base precedent off the rare exception, but, y'know, Occam's Razor and all.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I feel like making a final prediction while I still can. The character to open the second Fighter's Pass will be Dante or Gordon Freeman.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I feel like making a final prediction while I still can. The character to open the second Fighter's Pass will be Dante or Gordon Freeman.
...why Gordon? lol

Nintendo and Valve don't really have any working relationship together. Unless you're also predicting that alongside Gordon, they'll announce Steam support coming to Switch with HL2 or something

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
In the end, the only people who need to 'ask' for a character are Sakurai and Nintendo. They decide who gets in, not us; but ever since the Ballot, where Sakurai asked us who we wanted, people have acted like fan demand should be the only criteria when choosing a character.

But you are right, Sakurai and his team make every playable character interesting, regardless of fan demand.
Exactly. That's why a lot of the characters people been asking for are Assist Trophies and why all that complaint about "Too Many Fire Emblem" doesn't matter at all. If they don't them then it doesn't matter how much you campaign, they know that majority of those playing Smash Bros will be happy with any and they ask for just about anyone so they're going to put in what they want. We're already at the point where they're done with fan demand, they put in Ridley, K Rool, Simon and Banjo, now the next six are going to be what interest Sakurai and Nintendo.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
My prediction is one of these three. Might as well start with your strongest hand in the pass, and if any of these three are in then they'll be revealed early.

3.png

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Remember when Smash Ultimate was just announced and despite the multitude of examples of it not being a port people were all like "hURr DuRR, enHaNcED PorT!"

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Again, I think Nintendo shoving Byleth in last second after it had just been more hype third parties and everyone assuming it was all that kinda maybe says a lot? In terms of precedent, there has now been no wave of Smash DLC without one non-veteran, non-Plant Nintendo newcomer, and in terms of the second volume, I have to ask if the first Nintendo DLC pass decided by Nintendo can't go without, well, a Nintendo character, can the second that has even more really either?

And in terms of breaking precedent, it kinda has to be anything but another Fire Emblem character at this point, so a first ever for the DLC in addition to it being the first ever secondary wave of DLC for the same game we don't 100% know how is gonna function. At worst, it'll be one promotional slot that's a Pokémon I guess, but even that is questionable with the Spirits released right after they knew what the characters were gonna be.

Though who could it or even they be in this case..?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Travis Touchdown, Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, Phoenix Wright, 2B (There's still a chance), Geno and Neku (Now that I think Sakurai trying to implement Sora like Heihachi to their games source material might be too difficult) to be other possibilities for opening the Season Pass 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom