• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Your ideal Fighter's Pass 2 gets pitted against Fighters Pass 1 + Plant in a battle of canonical strength. How do they fare?

My pass definitely stomps; Dante and Sol Badguy are both Bayonetta tier, Doom Slayer is pretty strong as well, Crash and Artorias are both from Dark Souls, and Waluigi would probably find some way to cheat himself into victory.
My characters would be Travis Touchdown, Axel Stone, Crono, Klonoa, Crash Bandicoot and Sgt. Cortez!

Yeah, Cortez would just shoot them all in the head with his dual sci-fi handguns, maybe burn the Piranha Plant with a Flamethrower for fun.

They all made the mistake of bringing a Sword to a gun fight! Especially Joker with his toy handgun.

Heh heh! Time to Split!

Yo we splittin over here.gif

I was in the Geno thread and were talking about the possibility of a march 10 direct since it would be mario day, as well as the fact that super mario RPG's 24th anniversary(japanese release) is march 9th, so a direct at around that time could be possible, obviously its not likely since it would be a tuesday direct but its just something to keep in mind.
You lost when you said anniversary. No character gets revealed on an anniversary unless they are completely unrelated.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My characters would be Travis Touchdown, Axel Stone, Crono, Klonoa, Crash Bandicoot and Sgt. Cortez!

Yeah, Cortez would just shoot them all in the head with his dual sci-fi handguns, maybe burn the Piranha Plant with a Flamethrower for fun.

They all made the mistake of bringing a Sword to a gun fight! Especially Joker with his toy handgun.

Heh heh! Time to Split!

View attachment 263992

You lost when you said anniversary. No character gets revealed on an anniversary unless they are completely unrelated.
Well, Robin/Lucina’s reveal had Captain Falcon in it because F-Zero X JP anniversary. Then again, CF is a veteran...

D

Deleted member

Well...when you're doing announcements for multiple games at once, why tie them in to just one game's anniversary anyway?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Aight

Monkey's paw time

You get your ideal fighter pass, but 3 of the characters are so god-awful stanky bad that they're totally unviable at all but the lowest levels of play, and the other 3 are so good that they break the competetive scene at Brawl MK levels.

take ya picks
Good
Bandana Dee
Poochy
Shake King
Stinky Bad
Geno
Steve
Jonsey

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Seriously though, if we got a teaser for Lyn Fire Emblem Joker style, people would whine that she's another generic sword user despite her swordfighting style not being used in Smash at all but if the same happened for idk, Crash, people would go "Wow what a unique choice! No shared moves here, no sirree"
4/5 would be great. crash means nothing to me but old school only people would eat it up. Perinsally i think he'd be a dull character to play kinda like banjo vs the rest of season 1. getting the dream of dante vs bayonetta vs 2b in an action showdown would be epic.

i see people often post "i have no connection with this character" and i just cannot understand it. is that the DRIVING force for people to determine whether or not people what a character? You develop a connection to characters AFTER thier inclusion often not prior to them being added. FE fanbase came from smash for example as kids no one ignored marth ad roy because they hadnt seen them before (or couldnt understand them) what changed? why are people so agianst being introduced to new characters when thats what smash does for most people and players? Do people not consider movesets or interesting mechanics that thier inclusion could bring? i dont see what crash would bring other than being crash which is just not exciting. i want to see characters that wil lsee play in competitive and casual play. give me characters like hero, joker, and terry and not banjo or PP.
While Crash Bandicoot's moveset is very straightforward and not flashy a lot of fans want to see him in because for what he represents. He's the former mascot of the Playstation brand and his rivalry to Mario is only 2nd after Sonic, He's left his mark in video gaming and is an icon.

That's a big draw of Super Smash Bros you have all these major icons and all-stars going at it, Some of the biggest icons in gaming are as very basic as it comes when it comes to movesets just look at Mario, Pac Man and Sonic. Crash certainly ranks somewhat up there into that category and a dream match against Mario (Just like Sonic) is what many have wanted to see for nearly 25 years.

Regarding introducing characters in Smash is a different beast compared to other fighting games, A traditional fighting game has "Original" Characters that you are introduced for the 1st time and gravitate towards what you like and play as, Where as Smash are existing video game characters from franchises you have likely already played or heard of and naturally most people want to play as the characters they have a connection with, love or grew up playing with, That's not to say that you can't discover new fighters in Smash from games you never heard of, But famous favorite characters beating each other up is what brings people to the dance.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Do you have a source for the claim that it was mostly Marvel's decision not to put X-Men in Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite?
I don't, but the simple fact is, Marvel didn't want to promote the X-Men while FOX had all the movie rights. But now it's all under Disney.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
While Crash Bandicoot's moveset is very straightforward and not flashy a lot of fans want to see him in because for what he represents. He's the former mascot of the Playstation brand and his rivalry is only 2nd to Mario after Sonic, He's left his mark in video gaming and is an icon.

That's a big draw of Super Smash Bros you have all these major icons and all-stars going at it, Some of the biggest icons in gaming are as very basic as it comes when it comes to movesets just look at Mario, Pac Man and Sonic. Crash certainly ranks somewhat up there into that category and is a dream match that many have wanted to see for nearly 25 years.

Regarding introducing characters in Smash is a different beast compared to other fighting games, A traditional fighting game has "Original" Characters that you are introduced for the 1st time and gravitate towards what you like and play as, Where as Smash are existing video game characters from franchises you have likely already played or heard of and naturally most people want to play as the characters they love or grew up playing with, That's not to say that you can't discover new fighters in Smash from games you never heard of, But famous favorite characters is what brings people to the dance.
Oh Crash 3 was the best ****ing game I played on the ps1 despite how I didn't own it or had the ability to beat 2 levels, I'd like to see him in despite finding his moveset potential rather lackluster, my issue is how people will go "Wow Crash is the most unique character I've ever seen! Truly, not a single character resembles him!" While ****ting on idk, Ragna as a potential newcomer solely for having a sword. I specifically used Ragna as I want him far away from Smash

MagnesD3

Smash Master
While Crash Bandicoot's moveset is very straightforward and not flashy a lot of fans want to see him in because for what he represents. He's the former mascot of the Playstation brand and his rivalry is only 2nd to Mario after Sonic, He's left his mark in video gaming and is an icon.

That's a big draw of Super Smash Bros you have all these major icons and all-stars going at it, Some of the biggest icons in gaming are as very basic as it comes when it comes to movesets just look at Mario, Pac Man and Sonic. Crash certainly ranks somewhat up there into that category and a dream match against Mario (Just like Sonic) is what many have wanted to see for nearly 25 years.

Regarding introducing characters in Smash is a different beast compared to other fighting games, A traditional fighting game has "Original" Characters that you are introduced for the 1st time and gravitate towards what you like and play as, Where as Smash are existing video game characters from franchises you have likely already played or heard of and naturally most people want to play as the characters they have a connection with, love or grew up playing with, That's not to say that you can't discover new fighters in Smash from games you never heard of, But famous favorite characters beating each other up is what brings people to the dance.
Idk crash having a crate based moveset could get pretty flashy.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Oh Crash 3 was the best ****ing game I played on the ps1 despite how I didn't own it or had the ability to beat 2 levels, I'd like to see him in despite finding his moveset potential rather lackluster, my issue is how people will go "Wow Crash is the most unique character I've ever seen! Truly, not a single character resembles him!" While ****ting on idk, Ragna as a potential newcomer solely for having a sword. I specifically used Ragna as I want him far away from Smash
I'm sure that's mostly a testament to people not being familiar with BlazBlue over the sword part.

Smash is a character game for like everyone that frequents this portion of the website, so a lot of people just look at characters for who they are and overlook the gameplay concept for the most part. People generally will not support characters they are unfamiliar with, even if the playstyle they bring offers a lot of unique value to Smash.
- - -
That said, Crash would probably be designed similar to the other platforming mascot characters where he'd be overall pretty standard with some single unique quirk added to his gameplay. But the novelty comes from him being Crash Bandicoot, not because he can find Aku Aku masks on the stage and completely armor through attacks if he has one or two on or becomes invincible when he finds three or something.

If anything, Crash would probably adopt a design philosophy similar to Captain Falcon where he has to play on point or the game is not going to be generous to him (drawing inspiration from the infamous tight platforming and unforgiving level design of a lot of Crash titles).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm sure that's mostly a testament to people not being familiar with BlazBlue over the sword part.

Smash is a character game for like everyone that frequents this portion of the website, so a lot of people just look at characters for who they are and overlook the gameplay concept for the most part. People generally will not support characters they are unfamiliar with, even if the playstyle they bring offers a lot of unique value to Smash.
- - -
That said, Crash would probably be designed similar to the other platforming mascot characters where he'd be overall pretty standard with some single unique quirk added to his gameplay. But the novelty comes from him being Crash Bandicoot, not because he can find Aku Aku masks on the stage and completely armor through attacks if he has one or two on or becomes invincible when he finds three or something.

If anything, Crash would probably adopt a design philosophy similar to Captain Falcon where he has to play on point or the game is not going to be generous to him (drawing inspiration from the infamous tight platforming and unforgiving level design of a lot of Crash titles).
I used Ragna as an example as I personally don't want him in Smash alongside how he doesn't get talked about often, Dante can throw his sword, spin it around or swing himself from the sword and people would go "Wow so generic we should have gotten Rayman or something instead"

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Which shows the issue, Disney owned the characters in all but movie rights yet still restricted it like how Star Wars Fallen Order almost wasn't allowed to use the word Jedi or how Square, the developers for KH, weren't allowed to keep Sora in their Final Fantasy game or even let Sora talk
I just want to mention that Sora not talking seems to be a problem on Squares end not Disney.

He talked in the Japanese version perfectly fine, it was the western version where he was mute.

I guess it was a similar issue to how Cloud doesn't speak english or the heroes being mute in english in smash?

That would probably happen to Sora too if he got in. So no corny victory quote where he says "My friends are my power!" Or "This is the Keyblades power!"

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I used Ragna as an example as I personally don't want him in Smash alongside how he doesn't get talked about often, Dante can throw his sword, spin it around or swing himself from the sword and people would go "Wow so generic we should have gotten Rayman or something instead"
I mean same goes for him, people that don't know the characters or games they come from will only look at one picture and determine everything about the character from there. You and I know Dante has 50 million attacks, but they don't really care that much. At the end of the day, most people that really complain about character inclusions are doing so because the character they preferred weren't added instead.

Just the community we partake in.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I just want to mention that Sora not talking seems to be a problem on Squares end not Disney.

He talked in the Japanese version perfectly fine, it was the western version where he was mute.

I guess it was a similar issue to how Cloud doesn't speak english or the heroes being mute in english in smash?

That would probably happen to Sora too if he got in. So no corny victory quote where he says "My friends are my power!" Or "This is the Keyblades power!"
How about a character like 2B or Neku Sakuraba, would they face the same limitations you think?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
how Square, the developers for KH, weren't allowed to keep Sora in their Final Fantasy game or even let Sora talk
I'll just bounce on that.
It has nothing to do with Disney not letting Sora In the game, but Square themselves making it an Event for the release of KH 2.8 for the two first week of release/ with a code in the game-

pinshadow

Smash Lord
It has nothing to do with Disney not letting Sora In the game, but Square themselves making it an Event for the release of KH 2.8 for the two first week of release/ with a code in the game-
They also added Balthier from FFXII as free DLC the same way to commemorate the release of The Zodiac Age and he wasn't limited at all.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Oh THAT'S why he was in the 3DS outfit. I always wondered about that.

How about a character like 2B or Neku Sakuraba, would they face the same limitations you think?
I don't know, does 2B talk in soul caliber 6?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Your ideal Fighter's Pass 2 gets pitted against Fighters Pass 1 + Plant in a battle of canonical strength. How do they fare?

My pass definitely stomps; Dante and Sol Badguy are both Bayonetta tier, Doom Slayer is pretty strong as well, Crash and Artorias are both from Dark Souls, and Waluigi would probably find some way to cheat himself into victory.
I mean, under this hypothetical, there's almost no way any group of frontrunners would win out for one simple reason.

Byleth has control over time. That alone kinda makes this almost unwinnable.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I was in the Geno thread and were talking about the possibility of a march 10 direct since it would be mario day, as well as the fact that super mario RPG's 24th anniversary(japanese release) is march 9th, so a direct at around that time could be possible, obviously its not likely since it would be a tuesday direct but its just something to keep in mind.
I gotta be honest, it seems like you are jumping through some crazy hoops here.

Why exactly would 24 years and 1 day from one region's release of SMRPG be in anyway significant? I get it's the Geno thread but look at it with some perspective.

Droodle

Smash Lord
The phrase "it's just a fighter" is such a weak mindset. You are ok with swordfighters, anime, and other literal who's. When you stop getting angry at anime swordfighters, you've lost twice.

There's always something to demand, and always room for more cartoony mascots, never settle.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The recording studio in charge of the English dubbing of Nier and Nier: Automata is Cup of Tea Productions, who just so happens to be in charge of the English dubbing of the Fire Emblem series (sans Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Fates) for Nintendo. Considering that Nintendo got them to record Byleth's Smash voice lines, I don't think Nintendo and Square-Enix would have any problem getting them back to record English voice lines for 2B, if she happens.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Then she would be the first Square Enid smash brother to speak in full english.
while Neku's only crossover appearance so far has been Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, I think he can come speaking full English too

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I'm not entirely sure what's been said previously on this thread, but I think it's become a lot easier to predict who's getting in as DLC now that there seems to be a clear pattern of Spirits and Fighters being distinct and separate.

- Piranha Plant was only added as a Fighter Spirit post-launch. If Spirits were eligible to be upgraded it's likely Plant would've been in the base game - because there's no way a Piranha Plant wouldn't get a Spirit - and then upgraded later, so it's clear they were saving Plant's Spirit for the fighter release.
- Rex was stated to be considered, but due to timing issues was relegated to a simple Spirit and Mii Costume as compensation for not being playable.
- FE Three Houses was not given a Spirit event at launch, but was instead given a Spirit Board alongside the release of Byleth. Other games such as Pokemon SwSh, Resident Evil, Daemon X Machina and Astral Chain were given events with 4 Spirits instead of a Spirit Board.

So here's what I think looking at that evidence.
I think the next Fighters will be characters that don't have Spirits already in-game and who's games have not yet been given a Spirit Event (maybe Pokemon is still eligible if the Expansion Pass is counted as separate from the main SwSh game) Which narrows down our pool of first parties significantly unless new releases come along.

D

Deleted member

I'm not entirely sure what's been said previously on this thread, but I think it's become a lot easier to predict who's getting in as DLC now that there seems to be a clear pattern of Spirits and Fighters being distinct and separate.

- Piranha Plant was only added as a Fighter Spirit post-launch. If Spirits were eligible to be upgraded it's likely Plant would've been in the base game - because there's no way a Piranha Plant wouldn't get a Spirit - and then upgraded later, so it's clear they were saving Plant's Spirit for the fighter release.
- Rex was stated to be considered, but due to timing issues was relegated to a simple Spirit and Mii Costume as compensation for not being playable.
- FE Three Houses was not given a Spirit event at launch, but was instead given a Spirit Board alongside the release of Byleth. Other games such as Pokemon SwSh, Resident Evil, Daemon X Machina and Astral Chain were given events with 4 Spirits instead of a Spirit Board.

I think the next Fighters will be characters that don't have Spirits already in-game and who's games have not yet been given a Spirit Event (maybe Pokemon is still eligible if the Expansion Pass is counted as separate from the main SwSh game) Which narrows down our pool of first parties significantly unless new releases come along.
But what if ( and this is a big IF ) one of the next fighters is a character that’s already a Spirit?

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
The recording studio in charge of the English dubbing of Nier and Nier: Automata is Cup of Tea Productions, who just so happens to be in charge of the English dubbing of the Fire Emblem series (sans Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Fates) for Nintendo. Considering that Nintendo got them to record Byleth's Smash voice lines, I don't think Nintendo and Square-Enix would have any problem getting them back to record English voice lines for 2B, if she happens.
Yeah, they should have an easier time having English voice lines recorded for 2B, if she gets in, especially considering Kira Buckland reprised her role as 2B in Soul Calibur VI, same case applies to Pod and his voice actor.
Then she would be the first Square Enid smash brother to speak in full english.
This would be the case, since both Cloud and Hero were only voiced in Japanese. Cloud couldn't be voiced in English because of complications regarding some voice acting union and legal stuff. Hero is an interesting case, because while Eleven was voiced in his game (both English and Japanese, but he only brought his Japanese voice actress with him to Smash), the other three weren't in their respective games (Erdrick and Solo were voiced in CD dramas, but Eight never had a voice actor prior to Smash).

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Having a crazy unique moveset, while nice, isn't always the main reason people want characters. It's usually an attachment to that character, their design or their game in general. Sometimes forced gimmicks can be a detriment.

Hell, otherwise there'd have been no desire for echos after the Daisy reveal.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

The only first party game that don't have a spirits that I can think of is Ring fit adventure, which might happen because of the game huge success but I'm not really sure. It just seems weird that Nintendo would chose Ring fit having a new fighter and not Astral chain (Astral chain is suppose to have some sequel in the future). Then again, it's possible that Ring fit will have sequel and Nintendo is planning it to be the next Wii fit.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
But what if ( and this is a big IF ) one of the next fighters is a character that’s already a Spirit?
If it does happen, then great, but until then I think it's best to work with what we know when speculating, and there's no evidence yet to suggest changing the function of a Spirit is something Sakurai's team are willing to do.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The only first party game that don't have a spirits that I can think of is Ring fit adventure, which might happen because of the game huge success but I'm not really sure. It just seems weird that Nintendo would chose Ring fit having a new fighter and not Astral chain (Astral chain is suppose to have some sequel in the future). Then again, it's possible that Ring fit will have sequel and Nintendo is planning it to be the next Wii fit.
I can see it happening because Sakurai loves the weird oddball characters .

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I can see it happening because Sakurai loves the weird oddball characters .
True but Sakurai didn't chose the fighter this time so it wouldn't really matter. At least I'm sure that if Nintendo wanted it, Sakurai would be happy to work with it. I've played the game and it's very fun and he/she have a lot of moveset potential (people who thinks it would be a Wii fit trainer echo clearly didn't play the game or watch any video about it).

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
True but Sakurai didn't chose the fighter this time so it wouldn't really matter. At least I'm sure that if Nintendo wanted it, Sakurai would be happy to work with it. I've played the game and it's very fun and he/she have a lot of moveset potential (people who thinks it would be a Wii fit trainer echo clearly didn't play the game or watch any video about it).
True. Nintendo approaches Sakurai then Sakurai and Nintendo discuss if they can make it work. The Fighter Pass is in no way Sakurai's choice, at least in terms of pitched characters.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Having a crazy unique moveset, while nice, isn't always the main reason people want characters. It's usually an attachment to that character, their design or their game in general. Sometimes forced gimmicks can be a detriment.

Hell, otherwise there'd have been no desire for echos after the Daisy reveal.
That's completely legit. I want Crash despite that knowing that he probably wouldn't have a super crazy and unique moveset. As some people have said, people usually support their most wanteds because they're attached to that character or his franchise. Of course, moveset potential can be another reason, but it isn't the main reason for the fans of any character.
Fans usually go explaining the moves and the abilities of their most wanted to other people in order to convince them that their most wanted could be cool.

I mean, among other characters I want Dante so much. Gameplay wise he offers potential for idk, 5 or 6 unique movesets, but my main reason for wanting him? Because I love the character and I want him to be in Smash, simply as that.

So, I agree with what Cutie Gwen is saying. I don't have anything against any character, but there's for sure a certain hypocrisy around all this debate of sword users. As a fan of Dante and Crash, if I had to bet on which character would get more "oh, another swordfighter/brawler character" comments, I would say Dante without a doubt, and not precisely because he has less to offer than Crash in terms of moveset.
Granted, people that says that kind of things it's mostly because they're ignorants about the character and what he's capable of, but I don't think that justifies the hypocrisy, because Dante for sure has a lot more of tools and abilities to pull of than Crash, but Dante would probably receive more "generic characters" posts than Crash, only because he has wields a sword as his main weapon.

The attachment argument is a thing I agree completely with, but that also applies to sword characters (or any Fire Emblem character, btw).

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
That's completely legit. I want Crash despite that knowing that he probably wouldn't have a super crazy and unique moveset. As some people have said, people usually support their most wanteds because they're attached to that character or his franchise. Of course, moveset potential can be another reason, but it isn't the main reason for the fans of any character.
Fans usually go explaining the moves and the abilities of their most wanted to other people in order to convince them that their most wanted could be cool.

I mean, among other characters I want Dante so much. Gameplay wise he offers potential for idk, 5 or 6 unique movesets, but my main reason for wanting him? Because I love the character and I want him to be in Smash, simply as that.

So, I agree with what Cutie Gwen is saying. I don't have anything against any character, but there's for sure a certain hypocrisy around all this debate of sword users. As a fan of Dante and Crash, if I had to bet on which character would get more "oh, another swordfighter/brawler character" comments, I would say Dante without a doubt, and not precisely because he has less to offer than Crash in terms of moveset.
Granted, people that says that kind of things it's mostly because they're ignorants about the character and what he's capable of, but I don't think that justifies the hypocrisy, because Dante for sure has a lot more of tools and abilities to pull of than Crash, but Dante would probably receive more "generic characters" posts than Crash, only because he has wields a sword as his main weapon.

The attachment argument is a thing I agree completely with, but that also applies to sword characters (or any Fire Emblem character, btw).
I mean Banjo's moveset is nothing special, it's pretty standard, but I think the sword argument comes from Fire Emblem specifically just being REALLY saturated, especially when compared to Pokemon and Zelda. Fire Emblem just isn't as big a franchise as Smash would have you believe.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I mean, under this hypothetical, there's almost no way any group of frontrunners would win out for one simple reason.

Byleth has control over time. That alone kinda makes this almost unwinnable.
"Byleth why didn't you rewind time when ____ happens in Fire Emblem Three Houses for the Nintendo Switch?"

Byleth: ...

(Honestly speaking time-rewind is probably a worse future-sight. At least future-sight warns you of any potential deaths. Byleth can't rewind his own death.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom