• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You can't use, "Well, ya should of played the game then!" for every character. Both KI and FE were making a comeback after years of being dormant. A lot of people never even heard of XC or Shulk prior to Smash 4.

I don't think it's crazy to assume a lot of people had never played those games before. You can't be mad at someone for preferring a character from a game they've played over one from a game they haven't played.
I can kinda give you Xenoblade because that game got screwed hard for sales due to being a Gamestop exclusive but lmao you have to be really sheltered to not have at least heard about the popular games with characters from the last Smash game, this is like someone who only ever sees MCU movies whine that they never heard of Parasite. This is you crying about the poor children who don't know SNK, if you didn't know of FEA or KIU then you HAD to be living under a rock then or completely disinterested in Nintendo. Also this doesn't address my point that anything that wasn't from the giants of the 3DS were classified as 'very specific tastes' when in reality, the person refusing to try out games outside of Mario, Pokemon and Animal Crossing would be the 'very specific taste' people

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Major franchises as in Nintendo ones.
The post was talking about first-parties.
:ultrobin: "Day #23: They still don't suspect that I'm a 1st party character..." :4pacman:

Dear diary, today, I learned that if a 2014 game has a 2009 character, that counts as recent
Well if they were born that year they wouldn't be adults yet...

But seriously, they're not recent so much as they're just...not retro.

And people absolutely heard of Xenoblade because of project rainfall being what got it localised in the first place.
And also Chuggaaconroy...At least I assume since that's how I learned of the game.

this is like someone who only ever sees MCU movies whine that they never heard of Parasite.
I don't see MCU movies (or movies at all) and I've still heard of Parasite.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not relevant to anything, but what's Parasite?
The movie that won 4 Oscars a few weeks ago which made people scream about how unfair it is a non-English movie had the audacity to be really good and win awards for it's critical acclaim, I recommend it, the guy also made Snowpiercer, which had symbolism I really liked yet CinemaSins got mad about

D

Deleted member

Honestly I don't get the "hate" for Smash 4 newcomers. They manage to put one of the most wanted character after Sonic announcement: Mega man, and one of the most iconic video game character of all time: Pac-Man. Smash 4 introduce also 2 very big franchise in Smash: Animal crossing and Wii fit (I know a lot of people think Wii fit is a stupid character, but objectively it's a huge character). Also Duck hunt is imo the best retro rep we ever got, Duck hunt is way more popular than Ice climber or than Gyrmoite/Stack-up. Shulk was relatively obscure, but he still represent one of the best Wii game for many fans and critics.
Smash 4 got me to try out Punch Out Wii and Fire Emblem Awakening. Now both happen to be some of my favorite games ever. Good stuff.

It's the movie that won best film at the Oscars this year, but it's a Korean movie, so lots of people hadn't seen it.
The movie that won 4 Oscars a few weeks ago which made people scream about how unfair it is a non-English movie had the audacity to be really good and win awards for it's critical acclaim, I recommend it, the guy also made Snowpiercer, which had symbolism I really liked yet CinemaSins got mad about
Oh yeah. A friend told me about it and it was completely different from what I expected from the title.

Also Cinemasins gets mad about everything.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The "problem" with Smash 4's first party lineup is that they decided to focus more on newer popular characters, and the Smash fandom seems to hate any character that they didn't grow up with.

It can basically be summed up as

View attachment 263583
Even ignoring that, as said before, the fanbase generally has supported and still supports some newer generation characters, this dumbs down some of the subjective criticisms that people had with Smash 4's roster as 'lol Zoomer picks'. You can say you didn't like Smash 4's direction as much as other Smash games and have more reasons for it then it not having enough older picks, and saying otherwise is just being dismissive of them and only adds to the negativity that you're trying to call out with the 'Boomer vs. Zoomer' shtick.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah. From what I've heard it seems to be a societal drama type thing and not a horror movie. Also how did we get from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC speculation to Parasite?
Uh... time to save this tangent. Parasite Eve for Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah. From what I've heard it seems to be a societal drama type thing and not a horror movie. Also how did we get from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC speculation to Parasite?
Because someone said you needed very specific tastes to know anything outside of the biggest money makers on the planet and Parasite's gotten hate by people for stealing the awards from the biggest money makers

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can kinda give you Xenoblade because that game got screwed hard for sales due to being a Gamestop exclusive but lmao you have to be really sheltered to not have at least heard about the popular games with characters from the last Smash game, this is like someone who only ever sees MCU movies whine that they never heard of Parasite. This is you crying about the poor children who don't know SNK, if you didn't know of FEA or KIU then you HAD to be living under a rock then or completely disinterested in Nintendo. Also this doesn't address my point that anything that wasn't from the giants of the 3DS were classified as 'very specific tastes' when in reality, the person refusing to try out games outside of Mario, Pokemon and Animal Crossing would be the 'very specific taste' people
Smash casts a very wide net; you don't need to be really sheltered to not have a working knowledge of FE or KI past whatever elements end up in Smash, all you need to be is not tuned in to Nintendo's output to the extent most voices on the internet are.

Even with FE being bigger now, series like DK and Kirby and Metroid, let alone Zelda, have decades of games which sold around or above the level FE just reached. Of course people are more likely to be familiar with them. That's nothing to say of Xenoblade or Kid Icarus, which are less populated and more niche.

To suggest there's a complete overlap between those familiar with Uprising, or even Awakening and those familiar with Smash is pretty off the mark. Also if you're going to opt for extreme, obviously untrue rhetoric such as "refusal" being the primary reason people aren't more cognizant of smaller series, it's only going to destabilize your argument as a whole.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Here are my thoughts on the fighter's pass (based on characters that are currently in my mind's eye, and my perception of them):
  • 2B, Dante, Heihachi, Steve, Dragonborn, and I think Kiryu are the likeliest characters for 6th Fighters Pass slot because they have the biggest appeal without having a strictly regional one. Of these, I'd say that Dragonborn, 2B, Heihachi and perhaps Kiryu are the most likely.
    • I'd add Sora to this list, but I can't remember if he's still in the running or not. If he is though, I'd say he's more on par with Dante and Crash just because of his potentially awful legal situation.
  • Master Chief (will I ever spell his name correctly the first time I type it?) and Lara Croft are the most likely candidates for the 7th or 8th Fighters Pass slot because they have a large appeal, albeit only for the west.
  • All aforementioned characters are pretty likely picks in general.
  • Arle, Professor Layton, Rayman, and Jibanyan are possible picks, but not super likely.
  • The indie characters will likely continue to get Mii Costumes that come with music, but I don't foresee any playable indie characters in our future.
    • If we do get one, I think Shantae (who I believe is back on the table assuming base roster spirits do not disconfirm), Knight, and Quote are the most likely characters.
      • Quote would probably only happen if Nintendo was planning on some sort of indie celebration.
  • I wouldn't say Geno is a likely pick, but I wouldn't say he's unlikely either.
  • Uh who else? Uh...Oh! I don't think we'll be seeing Augumon. I think he'd be more suited to being a base roster inclusion.
  • Lastly (for now), I think we could see a Nintendo character that will make their debut from now until next year as one of the last picks.
I'm probably missing some information, and other potential candidates, so I'll hold off on making my full blown predictions of who and when.
(Let's get back to actual speculation)

That's a pretty good list overall, but one thing I would note is that you put Lara Croft and Chief as likely rep because of their popularity in the West, but then you said that some character like Arle or Jibanyan are not super likely. I disagree because I feel like if they want a Western character, they will want to add a more Japanese character like Arle. Like when they announce Banjo and Hero for Japanese and Western fan, they could announce something like Chief + Arle.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I feel Kazuma Kiryu is perfect spirit event fodder. I don't think he is too likely and i really doubt Sega is getting another entry in smash.

Let other companies have something. Namco only has Pacman!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Smash casts a very wide net; you don't need to be really sheltered to not have a working knowledge of FE or KI past whatever elements end up in Smash, all you need to be is not tuned in to Nintendo's output to the extent most voices on the internet are.

Even with FE being bigger now, series like DK and Kirby and Metroid, let alone Zelda, have decades of games which sold around or above the level FE just reached. Of course people are more likely to be familiar with them. That's nothing to say of Xenoblade or Kid Icarus, which are less populated and more niche.

To suggest there's a complete overlap between those familiar with Uprising, or even Awakening and those familiar with Smash is pretty off the mark. Also if you're going to opt for extreme, obviously untrue rhetoric such as "refusal" being the primary reason people aren't more cognizant of smaller series, it's only going to destabilize your argument as a whole.
Thing is, the person who made the initial argument leading to this has been very blatant on refusing to try stuff other than Mario and Pokemon, and if you have an internet connection, you heard about those games a lot

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly I don't get the "hate" for Smash 4 newcomers. They manage to put one of the most wanted character after Sonic announcement: Mega man, and one of the most iconic video game character of all time: Pac-Man. Smash 4 introduce also 2 very big franchise in Smash: Animal crossing and Wii fit (I know a lot of people think Wii fit is a stupid character, but objectively it's a huge character). Also Duck hunt is imo the best retro rep we ever got, Duck hunt is way more popular than Ice climber or than Gyrmoite/Stack-up. Shulk was relatively obscure, but he still represent one of the best Wii game for many fans and critics.
It's not necessarily hate, but rather how a lot of the first-parties feel like safe choices compared to, say, Dark Samus or Ivysaur.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
(Let's get back to actual speculation)

That's a pretty good list overall, but one thing I would note is that you put Lara Croft and Chief as likely rep because of their popularity in the West, but then you said that some character like Arle or Jibanyan are not super likely. I disagree because I feel like if they want a Western character, they will want to add a more Japanese character like Arle. Like when they announce Banjo and Hero for Japanese and Western fan, they could announce something like Chief + Arle.
Yeah...I think I said not as likely mostly because few people here seem to care for them. I don't actually know how popular Puyo Puyo and Yo-Kai Watch are in Japan. I know the latter had a boom when it came out but I don't know if it's since fizzled out.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Thing is, the person who made the initial argument leading to this has been very blatant on refusing to try stuff other than Mario and Pokemon, and if you have an internet connection, you heard about those games a lot
Not very subtle are you?

Yes, I have played FE, KI, and XC games. Just weren't for me. Stop assuming I'm judging them without playing them first.

Regardless, I'm not budging on my opinion that a lot of people may have not played Uprising, Awakening, or XC. Same goes with Punch Out and Duck Hunt, and I don't think I need to explain myself on those. Characters like Rosalina and Villager have an advantage because they come from popular franchises and have been playable in multiple games. You may have not played Wild World, but maybe you played New Leaf. With Robin and Shulk, either you've played one specific game or you haven't.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not very subtle are you?

Yes, I have played FE, KI, and XC games. Just weren't for me. Stop assuming I'm judging them without playing them first.

Regardless, I'm not budging on my opinion that a lot of people may have not played Uprising, Awakening, or XC. Same goes with Punch Out and Duck Hunt, and I don't think I need to explain myself on those. Characters like Rosalina and Villager have an advantage because they come from popular franchises and have been playable in multiple games. You may have not played Wild World, but maybe you played New Leaf. With Robin and Shulk, either you've played one specific game or you haven't.
This still doesn't magically make exclusively liking the best of the best not specific

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah...I think I said not as likely mostly because few people here seem to care for them. I don't actually know how popular Puyo Puyo and Yo-Kai Watch are in Japan. I know the latter had a boom when it came out but I don't know if it's since fizzled out.
Puyo Puyo's been big in Japan ever since the first game got its arcade release.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This still doesn't magically make exclusively liking the best of the best not specific
Wasn't aware EarthBound, F-Zero, Pikmin, and WarioWare qualified as me "exclusively liking the best of the best".

You're the one who's painted me as a dude who scrunches his nose every time someone brings up a franchise that isn't Mario or Pokemon. Your assumptions are wrong.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wasn't aware EarthBound, F-Zero, Pikmin, and WarioWare qualified as me "exclusively liking the best of the best".

You're the one who's painted me as a dude who scrunched his nose every time someone brings up a franchise that isn't Mario or Pokemon. Your assumptions are wrong.
Your post literally said you had to have specific tastes to know stuff outside of Mario, Pokemon and Animal Crossing. Maybe it's because it's getting late here so my wording is off but I'm specifically talking about that point. You know, Mario, Pokemon and Animal Crossing as in, the best selling franchises on the 3ds. Unless you're a child without internet access, you'd know of most of the others, Shulk being the biggest 'maybe' then, especially if you were already aware of Smash beforehand

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Here are my thoughts on the fighter's pass (based on characters that are currently in my mind's eye, and my perception of them):
  • 2B, Dante, Heihachi, Steve, Dragonborn, and I think Kiryu are the likeliest characters for 6th Fighters Pass slot because they have the biggest appeal without having a strictly regional one. Of these, I'd say that Dragonborn, 2B, Heihachi and perhaps Kiryu are the most likely.
    • I'd add Sora to this list, but I can't remember if he's still in the running or not. If he is though, I'd say he's more on par with Dante and Crash just because of his potentially awful legal situation.
  • Master Chief (will I ever spell his name correctly the first time I type it?) and Lara Croft are the most likely candidates for the 7th or 8th Fighters Pass slot because they have a large appeal, albeit only for the west.
  • Arle, Professor Layton, Rayman, and Jibanyan are possible picks, but not super likely.
  • The indie characters will likely continue to get Mii Costumes that come with music, but I don't foresee any playable indie characters in our future.
    • If we do get one, I think Shantae (who I believe is back on the table assuming base roster spirits do not disconfirm), Knight, and Quote are the most likely characters.
      • Quote would probably only happen if Nintendo was planning on some sort of indie celebration.
  • I wouldn't say Geno is a likely pick, but I wouldn't say he's unlikely either.
  • Uh who else? Uh...Oh! I don't think we'll be seeing Augumon. I think he'd be more suited to being a base roster inclusion.
  • Lastly (for now), I think we could see a Nintendo character that will make their debut from now until next year as one of the last picks.
I'm probably missing some information, and other potential candidates, so I'll hold off on making my full blown predictions of who and when.
Yay someone else realizes Kiryu's potential!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I at least expect one 1st party rep tbh.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Say remember how a while back I made an fun game for if Sakurai were to make an Echo Pack consisting of 4 characters and who you'd choose to round out to 90 (92) playable characters.

What if we do get Echoes and 4 out of the 6 fighters comes with an Echo of their own? Probably not likely to happen but just something to think about.

Using my current predictions.

76: Crash Bandicoot - Coco Bandicoot
77: Travis Touchdown - Henry Cooldown
78: Heihachi
79: Ring Fit Adventurer
80: 2B - A2 or 9S
81: Phoenix Wright - Apollo Justice or Miles Edgeworth

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Say remember how a while back I made an fun game for if Sakurai were to make an Echo Pack consisting of 4 characters and who you'd choose to round out to 90 (92) playable characters.

What if we do get Echoes and 4 out of the 6 fighters comes with an Echo of their own? Probably not likely to happen but just something to think about.

76: Elma (Mecha-Fiora; drones are the only thing majorly different, functioning like Psycho Launchers in XCX)
77: Neku Sakuraba
78: Octoling
79: Arle Nadja (Amitie)
80: Crash (Coco) OR Hayabusa (either Momiji or Kasumi, the DOA one not the P5R one)
81: KOS-MOS (T-elos)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

It would be hype if we hot another trailer like Simon and Ritcher, or the heroes again.

One example coming to mind is Sora's literal echo, Roxas.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I feel Kazuma Kiryu is perfect spirit event fodder. I don't think he is too likely and i really doubt Sega is getting another entry in smash.

Let other companies have something. Namco only has Pacman!
And SEGA only has Sonic

If you were a SEGA fan you'd understand that all the key beloved SEGA franchises other than Virtua Fighter are missing from Smash for some reason.

Oh I guess After Burner has a small refrence in Bayonetta moveset

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord

I will be using my predictions too for this.
76: Dante [Neither Vergil or Nero would work because their playstyles and movesets are significantly different from Dante's, so I'm gonna choose the third option and pick Sparda himself, of all characters]
77: Gordon Freeman [Barney Calhoun]
78: Agumon [IMO there's no viable echo fighter for this one]
79: Adeleine [IMO there's no viable echo fighter for this one]
80: Sylux [Weavel]
81: Ryu Hayabusa [Momiji]

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’m working on a essay about Kiryu from Yakuza for Smash but I found a fun fact while researching.

Ichiban, the protagonist of Yakuza 7, is canonically a huge fan of Dragon Quest. Due to harsh environment he had growing up, he often retreated to playing DQ games as a form of escape from his hardships. His sense of morality is shaped around trying to emulate the Heroes in those games and he thinks he’s some sort of chosen one.
88A9066A-3D03-4C58-803F-2D7F889123D3.jpeg

Ichiban would never get in over Kiryu, but I think it would be funny if these series could cross over again in Smash.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
How about we use all four Echoes on one character and get SMTV protag with SMT1, 2, If and IV protagonists as echoes

Then we'll have enough SMT characters for a true SMT x FE experience

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Let's see:

Fighter's Pass

Dixie Kong
Chun-Li
Sora
Phoenix Wright
Spring Man
Arle

Echoes

Roxas (Sora)
Apollo Justice or Miles Edgeworth (Phoenix Wright)
Ribbon Girl (Spring Man)
Amitie (Arle)

D

Deleted member

I’m working on a essay about Kiryu from Yakuza for Smash but I found a fun fact while researching.

Ichiban, the protagonist of Yakuza 7, is canonically a huge fan of Dragon Quest. Due to harsh environment he had growing up, he often retreated to playing DQ games as a form of escape from his hardships. His sense of morality is shaped around trying to emulate the Heroes in those games and he thinks he’s some sort of chosen one.
View attachment 263604
Ichiban would never get in over Kiryu, but I think it would be funny if these series could cross over again in Smash.
This is one of the most relatable backstories for a video game character ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom