• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
It's SEGA's second most successful IP right now and on the rise thanks to the excellent Yakuza 0 being a breakout hit in the West. However, Yakuza's steps onto Nintendo playtforms weren't that great since they only tried it with Yakuza 1 and 2. And not the remakes who added lots of content, but remasters of the janky PS2 games.... on the Wii U. Needless to say it didn't sell well. Personally I think Smash would be an ideal marketing vehicle for the series and would likely drive a lot of sales on Switch should they port 0, Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2 - the remasters of 3-5 as well as 6 and 7 may be PS4 only for a little while longer still.

Then again, people also want Kiryu or Majima in Tekken 7 for a while now and that hasn't happened either. Afaik Yakuza isn#t a series that crosses over with other IPs easily since its narrative leans on a more realistic side, to the point where the games actually play around the same time ingame as their release in the real world - meaning characters in the game age along with the players and the releases (which is a really cool little touch btw, more series should try that).
Look some gameplay of Yakuza 7, all sense of realism was thrown out gameplay wise with that game. Though I do agree having each of the game (except 0 and the Samurai games obviously) take place in the same year they were released in is a brilliant idea, as its always fun to how the characters like say Haruka have changed in between games as throughout the series we see her go from a little kid to young adult.

Olaole

Smash Rookie
Yeah, he imagines himself to be a literal knight in shining armor fighting a dragon when in reality he just got punched in the face and lost consciousness :D

Look some gameplay of Yakuza 7, all sense of realism was thrown out gameplay wise with that game. Though I do agree having each of the game (except 0 and the Samurai games obviously) take place in the same year they were released in is a brilliant idea, as its always fun to how the characters like say Haruka have changed in between games as throughout the series we see her go from a little kid to young adult.
Still, when your setting is a very real red light district in modern day Tokyo it is hard to have a proper crossover with many more fantastical settings - even urban fantasy at times. Also, have some more Yakuza music because as I said - there are just too many good tracks:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WBzFoYwSVY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vurwitwpuUU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q969q7cbTA
www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59CAI-CbUA

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
My only experience with the Yakuza series is a friend recognising places that were in the games when we were in Tokyo.

That said, I do know Kiryu won't be getting a Smash invitation letter.

Because he'd get a phone call.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Afaik Yakuza isn't a series that crosses over with other IPs easily since its narrative leans on a more realistic side,
Let me stop you right there because Yakuza is nothing if not outlandish. I'd say it's even wackier than Metal Gear, and that's saying something already.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I would also argue that Kiryu would be just like Snake
in that the fact Yakuza and Metal Gear don't fit in with the other Smash characters aesthetically, is exactly why they fit perfectly
like an "exception that proves the rule" kind of deal

Last edited:

Olaole

Smash Rookie
The content is wacky in tone, yes. But there are no dragons, no crazy scifi dystopia mega cities, no secret Personas you call forth, no fighting vampire cults, etc. Having Geralt appear in another fantasy franchise like MonHun is far easier than having a real life gangster appear.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I would also argue that Kiryu would be just like Snake
in that the fact Yakuza and Metal Gear don't fit in with the other Smash characters aesthetically, is exactly why they fit perfectly
like an "exception that proves the rule" kind of deal
Eh, if you ask me this argument was never a thing to begin with as Mario, Zelda and Metroid clash against each other pretty badly

osby

Smash Obsessed
Considering how many different franchises are already in Smash, arguing about whether or not a character fits into Smash aesthetically feels like an oxymoron. There's not much point in saying "other Smash characters" when the roster includes both Jigglypuff and Bayonetta.

Plus, isn't diversity one of the big appeals of crossovers? Not every character has to or does fit right into Mario cast.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm so glad you all are talking about Sega characters because I've got a surprise for you all: my latest Smash Underdogs article is about none other than Axel Stone from Streets of Rage!

1582547888523.png

To those who are just learning about it now, Streets of Rage (AKA Bare Knuckle Japan) is a beat 'em up series created by Sega in the early 90's. The games were very popular and Streets of Rage 2 is often considered to be the best game of its genre. This city brawler has also recently come out of retirement in Streets of Rage 4, which will be releasing this year.

Also I noticed there has never been an Axel support thread in the history of this site so I went ahead and fixed that.

D

Deleted member

I'm so glad you all are talking about Sega characters because I've got a surprise for you all: my latest Smash Underdogs article is about none other than Axel Stone from Streets of Rage!

To those who are just learning about it now, Streets of Rage (AKA Bare Knuckle Japan) is a beat 'em up series created by Sega in the early 90's. The games were very popular and Streets of Rage 2 is often considered to be the best game of its genre. This city brawler has also recently come out of retirement in Streets of Rage 4, which will be releasing this year.

Also I noticed there has never been an Axel support thread in the history of this site so I went ahead and fixed that.

Just took a read through it and it's beautiful. Hopefully...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Considering how many different franchises are already in Smash, arguing about whether or not a character fits into Smash aesthetically feels like an oxymoron.
At least there is a unifying art direction for all Smash games making the characters fit in seamlessly. A lack of this was a criticism for PlayStation All Stars.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I do want to say Kiryu has a decent shot to get into the roster. The only big obstacle I can see is the fact Arle is another wanted Sega character meaning there may be competition there. In a perfect world we'd get both of them but I feel like we may only get one.

But I would welcome either of them with open arms. I adore Yakuza to death so I would be all over Kiryu if he got in.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yakuza and Kiryu would fit Smash so well even if it doesn't look like that for the people who never played the series. I'm completely onboard with him being in Smash. Not that I think he has a great shot, but it would be great.

I do want to say Kiryu has a decent shot to get into the roster. The only big obstacle I can see is the fact Arle is another wanted Sega character meaning there may be competition there. In a perfect world we'd get both of them but I feel like we may only get one.

But I would welcome either of them with open arms. I adore Yakuza to death so I would be all over Kiryu if he got in.
If anything, I think Kiryu's biggest obstacle is that his series is called "Yakuza". Maybe it's just me being stupid, but I think that Nintendo wouldn't be very open to the idea of "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Yakuza", even if it's only for their public image. I don't think Kiryu himself of his potential moveset would be a problem, but the series name could be a small obstacle.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yakuza and Kiryu would fit Smash so well even if it doesn't look like that for the people who never played the series. I'm completely onboard with him being in Smash. Not that I think he has a great shot, but it would be great.

If anything, I think Kiryu's biggest obstacle is that his series is called "Yakuza". Maybe it's just me being stupid, but I think that Nintendo wouldn't be very open to the idea of "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Yakuza", even if it's only for their public image. I don't think Kiryu himself of his potential moveset would be a problem, but the series name could be a small obstacle.
Like Assassin’s Creed?

it’s still weird they only censored that in North America tho while Europe and Japan had no issue with it

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Reading all these messages about Yakuza and Kiryu in Smash made me realise that I think I under estimate his chance to be in Smash. That being said, I still think Arle have a bit more chances to be chose for a last Sega rep, because of Puyo puyo huge popularity in Japan and the fact that Sega is pushing hard Puyo puyo on Switch with a lot of marketing.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

What’s the Yakuza series? I only know of Kiryu from the Kiryu series!

Yeah I’ve thought about that too, having references to real world criminal organizations might deter Nintendo who is pretty protective of its family oriented image. The name thing is mainly a problem overseas, since it’s name is “Like a Dragon” in Japan.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
At least there is a unifying art direction for all Smash games making the characters fit in seamlessly. A lack of this was a criticism for PlayStation All Stars.
Considering how many different franchises are already in Smash, arguing about whether or not a character fits into Smash aesthetically feels like an oxymoron. There's not much point in saying "other Smash characters" when the roster includes both Jigglypuff and Bayonetta.

Plus, isn't diversity one of the big appeals of crossovers? Not every character has to or does fit right into Mario cast.
Nothing will ever beat Super Smash Bros, But I'm still a fan of Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale too and hope Sony takes another shot at a "Round 2" for the PS5.

But you gotta admit the roster did kind of feel like a mish mash/clash of almost polar opposite art styles with some really realistic characters like Nathan Drake, Cole McGrath, Kratos and cartoony characters like Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and Parappa the Rappa and then some characters that are somewhere in between of both that does make it feel kind of off, Where as Super Smash Bros has the cast in a more animated cohesive art style that really gels well together.

cast_of_super_smash_bros_ultimate_by_alex13art_dce926e-pre.jpg

d5d970i-6df4eebd-3ed9-4cf7-9480-9b06044e9736.jpg

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Nothing will ever beat Super Smash Bros, But I'm still a fan of Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale too and hope Sony takes another shot at a "Round 2" for the PS5.

But you gotta admit the roster did kind of feel like different levels of mish mashed/clash of art styles with some really realistic characters like Nathan Drake, Cole McGrath, Kratos and cartoony characters like Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and Parappa the Rappa and then some characters that are somewhere in between that does make it feel kind of off, Where as Super Smash Bros has the cast in a more animated cohesive art style that really gels well together.

View attachment 263651
View attachment 263652
It's crazy that in Smash seeing Sonic next to Terry (top right) or Piranha plant next to Joker (top left) looks totally normal, but in PSASBR seeing Parappa next to Nathan Drake and Spike next to Cole look so awkward. I like PSASBR, but seeing an image like this make it seems like some fanart on Devianart. It's sad that the team didn't have a lot of budget because I guess they didn't have time to really polish the game like they should.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
Talking about crossovers, right now I definitely think getting the Hunter from Monster Hunter or Dante are very likely! People put down the Hunter because Rathalos is already in, but I could see it happening. I think Sakurai putting in Hero who has the least character of anyone kinda says that he doesn't care if some nobody in Rathalos armor shows up.

I think Dante is much more likely though, just depends on who Capcom is trying to push. Resident Evil got shafted to spirit board, but Nintendo has been supporting DMC a fair bit. Plus he was in a Shin Megami Tensei game for some reason? So he's already dipped his toes in with Atlus. As well as Project X Zone, but that's not really that strange

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

you're not wrong at all

But you gotta admit the roster did kind of feel like a mish mash/clash of almost polar opposite art styles with some really realistic characters like Nathan Drake, Cole McGrath, Kratos and cartoony characters like Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and Parappa the Rappa and then some characters that are somewhere in between of both that does make it feel kind of off, Where as Super Smash Bros has the cast in a more animated cohesive art style that really gels well together.

View attachment 263651
View attachment 263652
wow...damn...b*tchin’

Sony probably never making a sequel

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Random thought: IF a Project X Zone 3 happened, do y’all think Joker would be included since Sega owns Atlus?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Random thought: IF a Project X Zone 3 happened, do y’all think Joker would be included since Sega owns Atlus?
Of course they would.

Who would his partner be though? Morgan's automatically out because the dev team for those games hates furries for some reason so I'm betting it's Makoto.

A project X zone 3 is my dream game, man. I hope they consider making one for switch.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Of course they would.

Who would his partner be though? Morgan's automatically out because the dev team for those games hates furries for some reason so I'm betting it's Makoto.
Plot twist: they either have Kasumi from Royal or the one grown up dude from Scramble as his partner

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A project X zone 3 is my dream game, man. I hope they consider making one for switch.
I’ve been working on a PXZ3 dream roster for a while, I may link it sometime but the Nintendo 3 from 2 return (Fiora is paired with Shulk this time), just added a duo of :ultcorrinf: and :ultbyleth:, and am KIND OF debating adding Off The Hook, yes that one from Splatoon. Idk if they’d allow Splatoon characters though... they’re TECHNICALLY not furries right?

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It's crazy that in Smash seeing Sonic next to Terry (top right) or Piranha plant next to Joker (top left) looks totally normal, but in PSASBR seeing Parappa next to Nathan Drake and Spike next to Cole look so awkward. I like PSASBR, but seeing an image like this make it seems like some fanart on Devianart. It's sad that the team didn't have a lot of budget because I guess they didn't have time to really polish the game like they should.
Totally agree, But yeah it was such a big missed opportunity by Sony, They had some great ideas like "Character Rivalries" and "Stage Crossovers" and the cinematic intro was really cool too.

But yeah you can tell that the game was under budget in some areas like the menu presentation and by the roster selection where they had to rely on promotional characters rather than Playstation icon legacy picks like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Lara Croft etc.

The game's roster while solid is lackluster overall and it will always be remembered for who didn't make it rather than who actually did.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I’ve been working on a PXZ3 dream roster for a while, I may link it sometime but the Nintendo 3 from 2 return (Fiora is paired with Shulk this time), just added a duo of :ultcorrinf: and :ultbyleth:, and am KIND OF debating adding Off The Hook, yes that one from Splatoon. Idk if they’d allow Splatoon characters though... they’re TECHNICALLY not furries right?
I don't think they would work in a game like this. Not because they're curries but because they canonically speak a completely different language than all the characters in this game lol

I would add Pit and pair him up with Valkirie, that just kinda clicks with me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't think they would work in a game like this. Not because they're curries but because they canonically speak a completely different language than all the characters in this game lol

I would add Pit and pair him up with Valkirie, that just kinda clicks with me.
Bayonetta with Dante is an obvious must, and new crazy idea - Elma (Xenoblade X) with Akira Howard (male) from Astral Chain.

Oh and throw in Samus and/or Captain Falcon in there somewhere to further solidify the crossing over with Smash

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Between the Kiryu essay and the Axel essay us Sega fans are eating well today. :)

Kiryu is only JUST under Arle as my preferred next Sega rep and the more I watch the video of him doing the phone-answering QTE the more I want him. He's just such a fun character and the fanart would be incredible.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Finally some respect on Kiryu

His stage absolutely has to involve Majima just randomly popping up from a bin or a manhole or wherever to cause chaos, maybe even with Saejima sometimes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Like Assassin’s Creed?

it’s still weird they only censored that in North America tho while Europe and Japan had no issue with it
It isn't weird considering assassination was a big thing for America around then due to America politically assassinating an Iranian general, NoA likely didn't want to get caught in with that.

Also the next Capcom character is Strider Hiryu, I played the 2014 game for about an hour and ****'s fun

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I think Dante is much more likely though, just depends on who Capcom is trying to push. Resident Evil got shafted to spirit board, but Nintendo has been supporting DMC a fair bit. Plus he was in a Shin Megami Tensei game for some reason? So he's already dipped his toes in with Atlus. As well as Project X Zone, but that's not really that strange
If we get a Capcom rep as one of our last six characters, I think it'll be between Dante and Phoenix Wright. In the case of the Dante, the DMC series has made a comeback and has had recent promotion from Nintendo as well as him having tons of moveset potential, while in the case of Phoenix he can be considered an honorary Nintendo character due to his games being mainly on Nintendo systems and him potentially having an interesting moveset that utilizes evidence.
But yeah you can tell that the game was under budget in some areas like the menu presentation and by the roster selection where they had to rely on promotional characters rather than Playstation icon legacy picks like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Lara Croft etc.

The game's roster will always be remembered of who didn't make it rather than who actually did.
Iconic characters from the original Playstation era like Crash, Spyro, and Lara Croft were glaring omissions from that game's roster. Snake and classic Dante were also not on the roster, but that's due to the decisions from Hideo Kojima and Capcom respectively, resulting in Raiden and "Donte" being in the game instead.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It isn't weird considering assassination was a big thing for America around then due to America politically assassinating an Iranian general, NoA likely didn't want to get caught in with that.
oh right I forgot about that

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If we get a Capcom rep as one of our last six characters, I think it'll be between Dante and Phoenix Wright. In the case of the Dante, the DMC series has made a comeback and has had recent promotion from Nintendo as well as him having tons of moveset potential, while in the case of Phoenix he can be considered an honorary Nintendo character due to his games being mainly on Nintendo systems and him potentially having an interesting moveset that utilizes evidence.

Iconic characters from the original Playstation era like Crash, Spyro, and Lara Croft were glaring omissions from that game's roster. Snake and classic Dante were also not on the roster, but that's due to the decisions from Hideo Kojima and Capcom respectively, resulting in Raiden and "Donte" being in the game instead.
Actually your three examples apply too, Activision wanted too much money for Crash and Spyro and when you have a small budget, you don't have a choice there. Square said no when they tried getting Cloud and when suggesting Lara as an alternative, they still said no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom