• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Topic: When you all think about Erdrick, do you imagine the moveset in your head wand imagining the trailer with Dragon Quest Overture theme? Or do you think moreso about him in a negative sense, like thinking consciously about the Smash community's debates about the character? Essentially, what is the first thing that comes to mind?

For me, the community has pretty much put me in a position where I cannot really imagine it, just saying Erdrick reminds me of the circling debates within the Smash speculation community. :p
Are you kidding me? I have the trailer on repeat in my head.
Actually, 2 trailers. One retro-inspired, and one in 3D from the get-go.

The retro inspired ones start with 8/16 bit graphics, Erdrick going into Patty’s Planning Place, then exiting with 3 party members behind him. Make warrior, female martial artist, female priest.

They engage in a battle with a couple of slimes. Defeat them.
A message scrolls saying “The enemy dropped a treasure chest, Hero opens it. Hero got envelope”.
Then in the world map, Erdrick goes through
His inventory, selects envelope and chooses Use. The envelope Zooms Erdrick alone out. Then as Erdrick is beaming up, it transitions to 3D, and splash screen:
“Erdrick zooms in on the action”.
(Moveset montage time)

Then Smash logo appears.
Then we go back to the battle scene where Erdrick’s party members were abandoned.
A new message scrolls as a Slime reappears.

“Slime is looking up, it seems he wants to go with you. Let him join the party?
>Yes
No

Splash screen:
Slime draws near! Command?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Topic: When you all think about Erdrick, do you imagine the moveset in your head wand imagining the trailer with Dragon Quest Overture theme? Or do you think moreso about him in a negative sense, like thinking consciously about the Smash community's debates about the character? Essentially, what is the first thing that comes to mind?

For me, the community has pretty much put me in a position where I cannot really imagine it, just saying Erdrick reminds me of the circling debates within the Smash speculation community. :p
I imagine him being an equipment master, switching among weapons and armor to change up his gameplay, maybe as an upgrade mechanic slightly similar to Lucario's. We don't have a character that's focused on unique equipment, and Dragon Quest started the trend in video games of upgrading equipment, so...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

The first thing that comes to mind is memories of playing Dragon Quest III.

Statistically speaking, someone was bound to actually have played it.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Welp, Polar's retiring from Nintendo leaks:
https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1137914596289679365
Sad. But I feel like she should've been more careful when leaking stuff.

I’m curious why only now Nintendo is intervening. Polar Panda has been leaking stuff for months. Perhaps it’s because they know she’s been leaking everything for E3? Also curious that Nintendo are aware of her Discord and other places where she leaks. Just goes to show Nintendo does have eyes in unexpected places.

5837DCFA-CC18-4EE5-9A10-D09831EA1795.gif

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I’m curious why only now Nintendo is intervening. Polar Panda has been leaking stuff for months. Perhaps it’s because they know she’s been leaking everything for E3? Also curious that Nintendo are aware of her Discord and other places where she leaks. Just goes to show Nintendo does have eyes in unexpected places.
Honestly, I think her fame as a leaker got way too out of hand. Especially after telling people on Twitter that she'd leak the entire Direct before it was released.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Honestly, I think her fame as a leaker got way too out of hand. Especially after telling people on Twitter that she'd leak the entire Direct before it was released.
Hmm that’s probably it, especially them seeing her leak everyone’s conferences at E3. Nintendo probably didn’t want to take any chances, especially with her saying she’d leak the whole direct.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I don't mind spoilers so if it's not too much to ask, did she leak anything?
Basically just everything regarding the Bethesda and Microsoft conferences (including some of the stuff that Vergeben leaked before her) and some other details from before like the Power Ranger fighting game and the February Pokémon Direct.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I do not want to sound like a hater, but what exactly made Banjo and Kazooie skyrocket as almost all but confirmed(I don't mind them, I already got what I wanted in the base game so everyone else that gets added is just icing on the cake for me)all of a sudden? It just baffles me.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I do not want to sound like a hater, but what exactly made Banjo and Kazooie skyrocket as almost all but confirmed(I don't mind them, I already got what I wanted in the base game so everyone else that gets added is just icing on the game for me)all of a sudden? It just baffles me.
I think it is because a leaker named Shinobi backed up Banjo is in Smash and Shinobi is supposedly a credible leaker.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I think it is because a leaker named Shinobi backed up Banjo is in Smash and Shinobi is supposedly a credible leaker.
I mean if we go by that then Erdrick would see more discussion cause he has more backing him up(even the attributes, though not final obviously, of the datamined BRAVE character lean more towards Erdrick than Banjo).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean if we go by that then Erdrick would see more discussion cause he has more backing him up(even the attributes, though not final obviously, of the datamined BRAVE character lean more towards Erdrick than Banjo).
Erdrick did get significantly more discussion as is.

Banjo's just more the topic since a good majority believe Erdrick is coming anyway.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Looking to pass the time. Anyone want to give opinions on my dream fighter pass? Don't suppose any of these are impossible.

1. Crono
2. Amaterasu
3. Geralt
4. D.VA

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Looking to pass the time. Anyone want to give opinions on my dream fighter pass? Don't suppose any of these are impossible.

1. Crono
2. Amaterasu
3. Geralt
4. D.VA
Don't really care about Witcher 3 or Overwatch but I would buy this Pass in a heartbeat. Crono and Ammy would be awesome and I love their games. While Overwatch and Witcher 3 aren't my cup of tea, they're both high quality games and definitely deserve their place in Smash. Plus I know a bunch of people that would be really happy with them.

My only question would be why D.Va over Tracer?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Shinobi’s track record is spotless, and since the first 3 characters were being worked on simultaneously, it’s possible Brave isn’t the next character if Erdrick is actually Brave.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Shinobi’s track record is spotless, and since the first 3 characters were being worked on simultaneously, it’s possible Brave isn’t the next character if Erdrick is actually Brave.
It would be weird for Brave to have been on the game files but not the second character, but I guess it's not impossible.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It would be weird for Brave to have been on the game files but not the second character, but I guess it's not impossible.
Yeah it’s sorta weird I guess, but I’ve seen it said that Lucas was revealed for Smash 4 before Ryu and Roy despite datamines saying otherwise (Lucas’s reveal was actually before the other two’s).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The first thing that comes to mind is...absolutely nothing. I really couldn't care less about him and hope we get a character from a franchise I'm actually familiar with instead, but I'm not going to be disappointed about his inclusion unless he isn't a fun design.

EDIT: As far as wishlists go, I'm not really sure who would be on mine other than Amaterasu. That being said, her inclusion would put me over the moon. Too bad we probably have to wait for Phoenix Wright, Chris/Leon/Jill/Wesker, Dante, Possibly a second Street Fighter character, and possibly Arthur before this happens. And considering the fact we pretty much have a max of one or two CapCom characters per game...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Smash 4 also didn't have a specific reveal order as part of the actual theme of the game in some way. So it doesn't really matter what happened then, as it's a different situation this time around.

There's a very tiny chance Brave is anything but fighter 72. And there's not exactly a lot of evidence that Brave is actual Erdrick either. We got some good leaks that Erdrick is coming, but not necessarily as Brave. We have something more concrete for the next character, being Banjo, thanks to Shinobi's leaks, who has a perfect track record. There's a very strong chance that Brave is actually Banjo instead.

Brave was most likely already the next character being worked on as is. We never found another file. And fighters 71 and 72 were worked on at the same time. Literally the evidence of who is 72 is practically staring us in the face. Being that it's Brave, anyway.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Smash 4 also didn't have a specific reveal order as part of the actual theme of the game in some way. So it doesn't really matter what happened then, as it's a different situation this time around.

There's a very tiny chance Brave is anything but fighter 72. And there's not exactly a lot of evidence that Brave is actual Erdrick either. We got some good leaks that Erdrick is coming, but not necessarily as Brave. We have something more concrete for the next character, being Banjo, thanks to Shinobi's leaks, who has a perfect track record. There's a very strong chance that Brave is actually Banjo instead.

Brave was most likely already the next character being worked on as is. We never found another file. And fighters 71 and 72 were worked on at the same time. Literally the evidence of who is 72 is practically staring us in the face. Being that it's Brave, anyway.
All of that said, Banjo is on everyone's mind as the next Challenger.

I don't mind if he comes, but just be ready for any alternatives that pops up. This final day can change anything with just a snap.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All of that said, Banjo is on everyone's mind as the next Challenger.

I don't mind if he comes, but just be ready for any alternatives that pops up. This final day can change anything with just a snap.
Indeed it could. Banjo is the only thing I'm close to expecting, as both Brave and Fighter 72 at the moment.

Though Slime or a Hero Class(starring Luminary or Eight as the face) are quite possible too. Another one is Agumon. There's multiple things that could be Brave at this point.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
No Banjo at E3, maybe Steve is back in the running. I mean, he is a Sakurai favorite and Nintendo just posted up Minecraft news on their official YouTube yesterday.

Also if we are using that “fake” hint, well, Steve does have a fake...
A01B8CBE-F011-4DEF-A96D-8B436D4204EA.png

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's multiple things that could be Brave at this point.
The coolest thing (to me) would be if they added the entire Bravely Default and Bravely Second cast. There are eight of them, they have access to the same move pool, they'd have a cool mechanic. Just fun all around. Who would be the face of this character though. Tiz?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As long as it ain't Steve or Erdrick (No disrespect to their supporters BTW. I just can't get excited for them given its been dampered over how much they were talked about as Kencineroar was). I'll accept Banjo not being the one revealed on Tuesday.

If its a surprise like Crash, Doom Slayer, Geno, Phoenix Wright or even Elma. I'll be satisfied.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
While this the final day and last minute predictions isn't the best, but here is the Nintendo E3 Bingo Sheet to fill out if you want.
D8auzw1XUAEJOot.jpeg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please put large images in spoilers. Same with super long posts. Also, preferably link more imbedded videos instead of posting them. Mobile users suffer from a ton of images/etc. Plus, it's nice and courteous to avoid stretching pages. :) Also, likewise, tweets are just as much of an issue as videos. I know, somebody posted a huge amount of imbedded tweets yesterday on one page and it froze my browser alone. It's even worse for mobile users who can't remotely browse.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Alrighty

Here's my hot take (that's absolutely cold, once more), again

Nobody- and I do mean Nobody- who is expected will get in.

No Banjo, no Sora, no Erdrick, no Steve, none of that.

Part of Joker's and Plant's appeal is that (sorry in advance) nobody could have seen them coming. Looking back to Sm4sh DLC (I do recognize it was more casual and unpredictable but still), we can see that, leaks aside, there was no real way of predicting who would be DLC next. Fans predicted the characters they liked best, only to be let down once more when the chosen character was not theirs. Why would Sakuri suddenly switch this peculiar pattern just to suddenly choose your characters?

I'm almost certainly most ignorant. But I do believe most people discussing DLC place their own hopes over the scarce data that exists, acting as though they are surefire hits for the next character (I am guilty of this as well with Hat Kid).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nobody- and I do mean Nobody- who is expected will get in.

No Banjo, no Sora, no Erdrick, no Steve, none of that.
"Expected" is subjective. I would think they'd assume Erdrick would've been unexpected to the west.

DownBCounter

Smash Rookie
I've always just lurked, but something I can't shake is also something I don't see anyone talking about. Probably because literally none of us want it to happen, but don't you think a Byleth reveal is a very real possibility? He'd be revealed at E3 and release around the same time Three Houses releases next month. Does anyone really think we're getting out of this without another Fire Emblem shill character with standard sword moves and a down B counter move?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I've always just lurked, but something I can't shake is also something I don't see anyone talking about. Probably because literally none of us want it to happen, but don't you think a Byleth reveal is a very real possibility? He'd be revealed at E3 and release around the same time Three Houses releases next month. Does anyone really think we're getting out of this without another Fire Emblem shill character with standard sword moves and a down B counter move?
Yes, because Corrin didn't come with enough content for a Fighters Pass character.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
No Banjo at E3, maybe Steve is back in the running. I mean, he is a Sakurai favorite and Nintendo just posted up Minecraft news on their official YouTube yesterday.

Also if we are using that “fake” hint, well, Steve does have a fake...
I'm cautiously optimistic about Steve's chances. Every time Microsoft and Nintendo work together it's because of Minecraft, it's kind of the bridge that is bringing them together. Here's to hoping Steve actually makes it in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom