• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Hey, new guy to smashboards. Felt brave and decided to try this place first. Hopefully no one is fighting over spirits this time
Welcome. Trust me...this is gonna be a rollercoaster of a place.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I really doubt we'll be seeing Euden. Dragalia Lost underperformed dramatically and I'll be surprised if they try to salvage it with a smash shillpick.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People saying a character from a series with a native z-axis can't work in Smash is something I didn't expect to hear in this day and age.

Especially when there are a handful of examples of that character working on a 2D plane, some of which come from that actual company.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So who does everyone think is the most likely fighting game character at this point?

Scorpion? Sol Badguy? Ragna? Nightmare? Heihachi? Assuming one is among the remaining 6.

I'm inclined to believe Heihachi but hoping Nightmare.
I really think Heihachi's our next Fighting game character to join the battle. It's just a little too suspicious that the Heihachi costume didn't return with Terry's pack, considering how big of a deal Sakurai made about having Street Fighter, Tekken, and Virtua Fighter together in Smash for.

Sol Badguy is probably my next bet, the River City spirits confirmed that Arc System Works is willing to collaborate on Smash Bros., but Guilty Gear is still kinda niche (relative to Street Fighter, Tekken, and King of Fighters, at any rate). I think if Sakurai had to choose between the two, Heihachi would be the one selected.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So who does everyone think is the most likely fighting game character at this point?

Scorpion? Sol Badguy? Ragna? Nightmare? Heihachi? Assuming one is among the remaining 6.

I think Heihachi is the likeliest fighting game character. There's a lot going for him compared to the others.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You know, I used to think Heihachi was likely due to Tekken basically being Namco's biggest property...

...but I also thought the same with Resident Evil and Capcom. So you never know. We may very well get a Tekken spirit event or something lmao

D

Deleted member

Heihachi is the most probable imo. I mean, after the entire Tekken 7 cycle, Sakurai would go ahead and ask Harada to actually get his child into his (Sakurai's) game.

though as far as I'm concerned he's busy dealing with the ****show in his game right now XD

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I think Heihachi is the likeliest fighting game character. There's a lot going for him compared to the others.
Personally, if we get a Tekken rep, I hope its Jin or Kazuya just to be different and a bit less expected. Knowing Sakurai though, I'm sure he would blow what Playstation All Stars did with Heihachi out of the water. Like actually give us OLD MAN Heihachi and not randomly throw in the younger version that nobody asked for. However, the Mii outfit did end up being the younger version. I always ponder on if we got Heihachi or not, what form would he show up in. My heart would of course prefer the OLD MAN.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Sakurai already threw Heihachi into the rejected bin back in smash 4, didn't he? So tekken fans have to pray he's changed his mind.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

It's really just Heihachi or Sol for me. Can't see a fighting game character that isn't one of them.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai already threw Heihachi into the rejected bin back in smash 4, didn't he? So tekken fans have to pray he's changed his mind.
Considering how we all got Ridley AND with Sakurai closely working with Bamco on Ultimate, this is pretty much a big possibility.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When Sakurai turned down Tekken, it was only Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man as third-parties in the game iirc.

It's a pretty different ball game now.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Still. He's changed his mind within the span of one game before. It's how we got Villager, PAC-MAN, and the Mii Fighters.
There's many other fighters Sakurai did consider before, like Ayumi in Melee who still hasn't been added. Sakurai has changed his mind before, but he doesn't do it all the time.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Ridley's size isn't that big of an issue though.
He deemed Ridley to be impossible to include twice, and as silly as I find his reasons to have rejected him, those being: having to make him slower, change the size, alter his wings or make him unable to fly freely; you gotta admit they didn't sound like that back when he listed them in 2014 and many defended them.

Sometimes, people take Sakurai's statements too seriously until he changes his mind.

I.D.

Smash Lord
When Sakurai turned down Tekken, it was only Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man as third-parties in the game iirc.

It's a pretty different ball game now.
He turned Heihachi down on the grounds that he didn't know how to implement him. So that's completely unrelated.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sakurai made:ultridley:so same can go for Heihachi like the former he might had found to way to implement him into Ultimate.

As someone also noted above its still suspicious his Mii costume didn't return yet especially with:ult_terry:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's many other fighters Sakurai did consider before, like Ayumi in Melee who still hasn't been added. Sakurai has changed his mind before, but he doesn't do it all the time.
True, but being unable to think of a good way to represent the character is an easier problem to solve than the character being incredibly obscure.

Only time will tell. We don't know the machinations of his mind so there's not much else to say on the matter.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
It's really just Heihachi or Sol for me. Can't see a fighting game character that isn't one of them.
I won't lie, I want him to throw Scorpion in to surprise the HELL out of everybody, regardless of the franchise being banned in Japan. That will give the world even more reasons to joyously implode upon seeing something so spectacular.

After all, It would be nice to see these images connect in some way.
megaman KO.jpg
This is what crossed my mind when I first saw Megaman bite the dust. Here's hoping.
MK9 art.jpg

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I hope that regardless the characters of the next fighters pass, Sakurai and his team continues to include new universes into the game via Mii Costumes or spirits. During the last FP, we got 5 new/returning Mii Costumes per character, so we will get around 30 new ones thanks for the second FP.

For example; imagine that they include a new fighting game character like someone from Tekken, in addition to mii costumes from other fighting game IPs like Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive, Guilty Gear and/or Mortal Kombat. Every series need at least their tiny representation in Smash Ultimate so it can be called the ultimate tribute to videogame history.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I won't lie, I want him to throw Scorpion in to surprise the HELL out of everybody, regardless of the franchise being banned in Japan. That will give the world even more reasons to joyously implode upon seeing something so spectacular.

View attachment 259781
This is what crossed my mind when I first saw Megaman bite the dust. Here's hoping.
View attachment 259782
I would buy a Scorpion amiibo day 1 tbh

May as well make an Fire Emblem fighting game at this point if there's so many characters to choose from. Kinda surprised that has yet to happen. ;P
Someone get Arc on the phone, they should be the ones to make such a game.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Keep in mind, Heihachi was considered about 8 years ago. Since then, Sakurai has had experience designing and developing mechanically complex characters like Robin, Ryu, Bayonetta, and Hero. If he really wanted to find a means of emulating Tekken's limb system for Heihachi, I honestly think he could do so.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

View attachment 259781
View attachment 259782
I know the chances of Nintendo letting any of their beloved characters take part in Mortal Kombat are slim to nil, but if they ever did let NRS use their IP, the only character I can envision the Big N being okay with giving and receiving Fatalities is Ridley.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm pretty sure Ridley would feel right at home in just about any violent, bloody action game.

Slaughtering living creatures is Ridley's equivalent of opening Christmas presents.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
He deemed Ridley to be impossible to include twice, and as silly as I find his reasons to have rejected him, those being: having to make him slower, change the size, alter his wings or make him unable to fly freely; you gotta admit they didn't sound like that back when he listed them in 2014 and many defended them.

Sometimes, people take Sakurai's statements too seriously until he changes his mind.
They were good reasons then and still are now.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I know the chances of Nintendo letting any of their beloved characters take part in Mortal Kombat are slim to nil, but if they ever did let NRS use their IP, the only character I can envision the Big N being okay with giving and receiving Fatalities is Ridley.
Joker (specifically the DC one) vs Ridley is the dream match-up we didn't know we wanted until now.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Nope. Smash fans and Super Mario RPG fans are the only people who care about him at this point.
That's true, but anyone who's not a fan of Smash and Super Mario RPG is a monster whose hopes and dreams do not deserve consideration.

Street Fighter and SNK games are 2D Fighting Game characters. Implementing their mechanics is a far simpler job to do. Implementing 3D movements to Smash is really not that simple.
Then just adapt the SFxTK version of him.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Dude, I never knew I wanted this until now

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I hope Fighter Pass 2 brings back the tradition of killing off beloved icons. They really dropped the ball with the DLC trailers on that front.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I hope Fighter Pass 2 brings back the tradition of killing off beloved icons. They really dropped the ball with the DLC trailers on that front.
I just want a CGI trailer that has a WoL focus like Hero’s but with Galeem instead of Dharkon. Methinks Octoling might fit the bill perfectly cause Galeem and
Commander Tartar
Have like a lot of parallels with light = order and purging imperfections and crap and the light blue aura of the Light Realm fighters can look like Sanitization almost

blackghost

Smash Champion
May as well make an Fire Emblem fighting game at this point if there's so many characters to choose from. Kinda surprised that has yet to happen. ;P
ive said that as well. just ask namco to make a soul calibur engine game using FE characters. it would sell like crazy. but then again it took nintnedo 30 years to realize a pokemon fighting game (even a somewhat bad one) would be a moneymaker as well.

speaking of FE there is a literal popularity contest happening now in its mobile game. the poll isnt complete yet but the current results can be seen here: https://twitter.com/FE_Heroes_EN/status/1220632331100311552 .

KillerCage

Smash Master
Out of curiosity, who does everyone think is the more likely Namco rep, Heihachi or Lloyd? Likewise, who does everyone personally want more?
I personally think Lloyd has a better shot than Heihachi though that might be my bias showing.
I would prefer Nightmare or Agumon over either of them if we WERE to get a Namco-Bandai rep.
In regards to the limb mechanics, while it's not possible to completely replicate the four button system, it's possible to make a system that is similair to it in function. I'm gonna post FeliciaFan's moveset once again because he did a really good job with it and it kind of explains every question someone might have in how Heihachi and Tekken mechanics could be implemented in Smash.

I am NOT a fan of the idea this video present.
A character that changes the simple command inputs of Smash Bros into something unrecognizable just to represent Tekken faithfully? No thanks.
Neither Ryu/Ken nor Terry altered the control so racially just to emulate their source games.
And yet Soulcalibur isn't an issue? I hear no one saying they have the same problem despite being an 3D fighting game.
I think Soulcalibur has more things to offer beside fighting in 3D environments.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I really doubt we'll be seeing Euden. Dragalia Lost underperformed dramatically and I'll be surprised if they try to salvage it with a smash shillpick.
I feel like its not a hot take at all to say that mobile game rep wil likely never come to Smash

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I am NOT a fan of the idea this video present.
A character that changes the simple command inputs of Smash Bros into something unrecognizable just to represent Tekken faithfully? No thanks.
Neither Ryu/Ken nor Terry altered the control so racially just to emulate their source games.
I actually like the general ideas that this video presents, and it does a decent job selling Heihachi, but it does go a bit overboard.

I think allowing Heihachi to chain tilts together for different moves is a good way to show off the versatility yet complexity of the limbs system within the options of Smash, but giving him down-forward inputs as a fourth tilt, strong variants, and a comeback mechanic in the form of rage is just a little too much. Maybe one of those additional systems would be okay, but it's far too much, even for a character designed to be mechanically complex.

My guess is the moveset creator wanted to include as much of Heihachi as possible and I admire their dedication, it just doesn't seem feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom