• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think Heihachi getting in depends on if Sakurai thinks he can make him work in a way that is accurate to how he is represented in Tekken. As a game in a 3D plane, that may prove difficult. Let’s be real though, he’d be a hype pick for sure.
—-
To be honest, I think it’s worth exploring the implications of Nintendo saucing Sakurai a pick, and then Sakurai approving it. As in, it evidently isn’t Sakurai picking whatever he wants.

If that’s exactly how we got the first pass, I’d say that definitely means something going forward.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Wouldn't they have to renegotiate with third parties even if the next Smash is just a port? There's always the possibility that one of the companies wouldn't be willing to play ball with their characters again.
Yeah, but I honestly don't see any of them refusing TBH. Smash is such a good advertising tool that I would be really shocked to see any gaming company outright refuse to let their characters be in.

Like, a port of Ultimate would worst-case scenario maybe cut a third party if for whatever reason a company wanted out, but I just don't see that happening, personally. Who knows, though, it's certainly possible.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Out of curiosity, who does everyone think is the more likely Namco rep, Heihachi or Lloyd? Likewise, who does everyone personally want more?
Never played a Tales game so I guess Heiachi or Yuri (but she's already an Assist Trophy soo :()

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Out of curiosity, who does everyone think is the more likely Namco rep, Heihachi or Lloyd? Likewise, who does everyone personally want more?
Heihachi is probably more likely since Tekken is a bigger deal to them than Tales.

I'd rather have KOS-MOS over both of them, TBH.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
dont worry, I got love for the both of them
Female Corrin may be voiced better, but male Corrin has the superior colors.

Baby - Does Chibi-Amateratsu (Okami series) count?
I don't know if Chibiterasu is a baby per-se, but he is a child.

Witch / Wizard - The Wizard 101 guy, just because it would be funny
We'd get some awesome battle themes too.

Never played a Tales game so I guess Heiachi or Yuri (but she's already an Assist Trophy soo :()
Yuri isn't in the game in any capacity. Any Yuri you're thinking of is a different character. Also Lloyd is the objectively better pick.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I was thinkin about it:
If have a :nessecho: emoji,
Then can we get one for the Cuphead Mii Costume?
Also, is anyone sad that Cuphead is just a costume and not a character?
Female Corrin may be voiced better, but male Corrin has the superior colors.

I don't know if Chibiterasu is a baby per-se, but he is a child.

We'd get some awesome battle themes too.

Yuri isn't in the game in any capacity. Any Yuri you're thinking of is a different character. Also Lloyd is the objectively better pick.
oh yeah, shes capcom

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
All I want for future Smash Bros on the Fire Emblem side is that they keep Ike and Chrom (and Lucina being an echo/semi-clone of a reworked Chrom).

And heihachi would probably ruin the fighter pass for me - I wouldn't be angry or anything like that but I think Tekken would be better represented with either Jin (the actual protagonist) or Kazuya (the OG protagonist and potential main villain now), both have as much legacy and can do everything heihachi can + much more.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I was thinkin about it:

oh yeah, shes capcom
The Yuri you're talking about is the Fatal Frame chick, right? She's Koei Tecmo.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Namco rep is a ****ing myth. They have no leverage at all in this relationship. They only managed to get Pacman and not even the version they wanted.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd say they're basically tied. More partial to Heihachi myself, but I'd be very happy to see either.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Me: Heihachi and Lloyd would be great.
Tekken and Tales of fans: No they're dumb. Jin or Kazuya and Yuri would be 10x better because of [insert valid reasoning].
Me: *That feel when the characters you know enough to care about from a series aren't the ones that appeal to their target audiences*

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I'd go:
Lloyd/Heihachi
*Gap*
Agumon/Knightmare
*Very Large Gap*
Everyone else

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The problem with Lloyd and Heihachi is that they were DLC Mii Fighter costumes in Smash 4, and they could just as easily bring their costumes back.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Wouldn't they have to renegotiate with third parties even if the next Smash is just a port? There's always the possibility that one of the companies wouldn't be willing to play ball with their characters again.
Especially not Square Enix, who are famous for insisting that their guest characters in games are always DLC. It's suspected that early rumors of a Squenix character being Ultimate's first DLC were due to Squenix trying to strongarm Nintendo into making Cloud DLC (there's more evidence for this, such as Final Fantasy's total absence from WOL and spirit modes otherwise, which suggest cloud was a very late addition to the roster).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The problem with Lloyd and Heihachi is that they were DLC Mii Fighter costumes in Smash 4, and they could just as easily bring their costumes back.
How is that a problem? "This character could theoretically become a Mii Costume, so therefore he's less likely" is a reasoning that applies to any character.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I think both of them have fairly equal chances of getting in Smash honestly, thought it is worth noting that Lloyd has to compete with other Tales of characters like Yuri and Tales of Arise guy (I think his name is Alphen). Then again maybe Namco could also push for Jin over Heihachi... I'm not an Tekken expert but I heard that they're trying to turn Jin into the de facto protagonist of the series... errr I would use some clarification from actual Tekken fans on this one.
Heihachi remains the historical Tekken characters in crossover, so it probably doesn't even matter.

As for personal preference, I'm not a fan of either series (honestly I'm not too hot on any of the Namco characters that are usually discussed for Smash), but I'm interested how the Smash team could adapt Heihachi into the game, so I guess i'll cast my vote for him.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
How is that a problem? "This character could theoretically become a Mii Costume, so therefore he's less likely" is a reasoning that applies to any character.
It's different if they've already been one. Same goes for characters like Geno.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's different if they've already been one. Same goes for characters like Geno.
And Chrom and King K. Rool?

Just because they had a Mii Costume doesn't mean they won't add the full character. All it means is that if Heihachi and Lloyd aren't playable, then we will see them as Mii Costumes instead, so they will get some representation in some capacity.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think Heihachi is slightly more likely imo, but it depends on whether or not Sakurai could be satisfied with a moveset for him.

Of the two, I'd rather have Heihachi, I suppose. My most wanted from Namco is Klonoa, but I really don't see him happening anytime soon, so I'd be happy seeing an old man throwing beloved Nintendo characters off some cliffs.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think both of them have fairly equal chances of getting in Smash honestly, thought it is worth noting that Lloyd has to compete with other Tales of characters like Yuri and Tales of Arise guy (I think his name is Alphen). Then again maybe Namco could also push for Jin over Heihachi... I'm not an Tekken expert but I heard that they're trying to turn Jin into the de facto protagonist of the series... errr I would use some clarification from actual Tekken fans on this one.
Heihachi remains the historical Tekken characters in crossover, so it probably doesn't even matter.

As for personal preference, I'm not a fan of either series (honestly I'm not too hot on any of the Namco characters that are usually discussed for Smash), but I'm interested how the Smash team could adapt Heihachi into the game, so I guess i'll cast my vote for him.
Heihachi is still the face of the series, that hasn't changed even after the last game. When Harada posted the 4 million sales celebration art, Heihachi was in front and center of the cast. When Bandai Namco posted their 2020 new year art, Heihachi was there to represent Tekken alongside the other Bandai Namco IPs. Story wise Jin is the protagonist, but he isn't the mascot of the series like Heihachi is.

D

Deleted member

As of now I’m just gonna say none until something happens

just because namco helped with the game doesn’t mean they get more namco reps

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Although, in terms of Smash 4's 3rd Party Mii Fighter costumes, all of the Sega ones returned, while all of the Capcom ones returned barring the Monster Hunter related costumes. Namco Bandai and Square Enix have yet to have any of their costumes come back.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Isn't the only Tekken game on Nintendo consoles a tag team game? If so we might see Heihachi alongside Jin as some sort of swappable character (even though they're not traditionally partners) later down the line. (It definitely wouldn't be DLC though.)

just because namco helped with the game doesn’t mean they get more namco reps
I mean...sure, but that also doesn't mean we absolutely won't either.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
So, what do you guys think will be the reveal and release schedule for the Fighters Pass 2?

For me, let me start by stating which 6 I'd like to see included in the pass (in the order I hope to see them released): Crash, Lloyd Irving, Sora, a Gen 8 Pokemon, Geno and a Zelda character (preferably someone new from BOTW2). I understand that a lot of these are long shots, but this is still what I am hoping for.

Crash: Tease/reveal in a February 2020 Nintendo Direct, followed by release in April 2020.

Lloyd Irving: Reveal at E3 2020, followed by release in late summer 2020.

Sora: Reveal at E3 2020, followed by release in late autumn 2020.

Gen 8 Pokemon: Reveal on Pokemon Day 2021, followed by release in March or April 2021.

Geno: Reveal at E3 2021, followed by release in summer 2021.

Zelda character: Reveal and release in autumn 2021.

I think the release of these characters will be a little more spaced out than it was for Fighters Pass 1, especially since it has more characters (but also so they could milk this as much as possible).

I know "Zelda character" is not specific, but a lot of big ones are already ruled out. Also, I know SWSH already has spirits, but I can't shake the feeling that we could still get someone from SWSH, like maybe Urshifu. Bit of a stretch to expect 2 Square Enix characters in one pass, especially since we got Hero in the last pass, but I still haven't entirely given up hope on Sora and Geno. Sora's reveal could coincide with KH coming to Switch.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Sure, the Mishima's might be the main characters in Tekken, but consider this

His moveset would fit in like a glove.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Heihachi is more likely.
I'd rather have Lloyd, of those two.
Yoshimitsu makes the most sense if they only get one rep this game.
Rondoline is my most wanted Bandai Namco rep.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
It could go either way really, they're both fan-favorites who are highly requested and would make for a good inclusion. But if I had to choose one, I'd go with Lloyd. Nothing against Heihachi of course, I just think Tales Of has a better shot of getting a character than Tekken.

I dont want either of them, I want Yuri
Understandable. I just want something from Abyss.

I'd rather have Jin Kazama over Heihachi and Lloyd is meh. I don't see either of them being likely considering how little Namco involves their characters into the game. The only reason Pac-Man is even in the game is because from what I remember, he was a request from Shigeru Miyamoto or something like that.
If we're to get a Tekken character, as unlikely as this sounds, I'd love to see Orge get in. He's a character that exudes absolute power, and is a perfect representation of what Tekken is to me.

I was thinkin about it:
I would've loved to have seen Cuphead get in as a fighter, but I never thought he actually had a chance. I mean, if Shantae and Shovel Knight couldn't make it as a fighter, what chance did he have? As such, I'm overall very happy about his Mii Costume. It looks very much like him, it comes with one of the best songs in all of Cuphead, and it's a character made by fellow Canadians. My only gripe is that we're not getting a Mugman costume to go along with it, you can't just have Cuphead without his pal Mugman, y'know?

Also, I agree that it's a crime we don't have a Cuphead emote.
CupheadSprite.png

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Much rather have Lloyd because I'm far more attached to Tales than Tekken. I'd rather have KOS-MOS as well.

And of course Ms. Pac-Man is an obvious and easy echo that should have been added a while ago.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I'm not an Tekken expert but I heard that they're trying to turn Jin into the de facto protagonist of the series...
Not an expert but:

Jin Kazama was the main protagonist in Tekken 3, 4 and 5, became the main villain in 6, was absent of the main story of 7 and seems to be back as the protagonist for Tekken 8. Also he wasn't born in Tekken 1 and 2.

For the record, Kazuya Mishima (Jin's father) was the protagonist in Tekken 1, the main villain in 2, was absent (dead) from 3, came back as a sort of villain protagonist in 4 and 5, was a major side character in 6, alternate with Heihachi as a villain protagonist in 7 and looks like is gonna be the main villain for Tekken 8.

Heihachi Mishima (Jin's grandfather) was the main villain of Tekken 1, the protagonist in 2 (although I've seen people say it was Jun Kazama, Jin's mother), one of the main forces in 3, the main villain in 4, retroactively absent from 5's story, made a quick appearance in 6 and alternate with Kazuya as a villain protagonist in 7 where he met his demise.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
If PlayStation All Stars could make Heihachi work in a party platform game, I have no doubts that Sakurai could do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom