• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I ain't knocking your list or anything... In fact, I want Saber, Sora, Dante, and Rex & Pyra too. (haven't played Senran or NieR yet but I know them!)

but. this list screams,

"OOPS. ALL SWORDS."

Who needs a pass full of anime swordsmen/women

When you can have a fighter pass like this!

Fighter pass 2

-Aegislash (pokemon)

-Fi (Legend of Zelda)

-Pyra (Xenoblade)

-Nightmare from Soul Calibur IV (Soul Calibur)

-The Transitor (Transistor)

-Momohime (Muramasa the demon blade)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Earthbound is kinda difficult to give in a simple pitch, but I think the best way to describe without going too in-depth is Dragon Quest meets Peanuts, with a good sprinkling of 50's sci-fi and Lovecraftian cosmic horror added into the mix.
This is a perfect description but at the same time I feel like it only confuses people more.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Well in Sora's case there wouldn't be an MP gauge but rather a cool down period between spells, like how the command deck works in his games, where once you use a spell it takes a while before you can use it again meaning you'd have to rely on melee attacks.

Also instead of being random from a large list there would be like 3 or 4 of them like Balloonga, Firaga and Blizaga.
It could work. I just worry about giving Sora too much, whether it works on a cooldown like BBS or mp like the mainline games. Hero has a lot of things going for him in order to balance out the extra options the command menu could potentially give him. Sora's options wouldn't be as numerous or powerful, but none of them would be as weak either. That carries it's own balancing issues. Not that I think Sakurai would be unable to do it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'll never, ever understand why people want characters to be Alternate Costumes instead of Echo Fighters.
Like, they're in the game regardless but having them as their own characters gives us some extra things, like extra Arcade Modes and 4 Extra Costumes each.
To be clear, I don't think anyone that's already an echo should be turned BACK into an alt. I just wish some other characters had got echoes instead of Marth essentially having 3.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Who needs a pass full of anime swordsmen/women

When you can have a fighter pass like this!

Fighter pass 2

-Aegislash (pokemon)

-Fi (Legend of Zelda)

-Pyra (Xenoblade)

-Nightmare from Soul Calibur IV (Soul Calibur)

-The Transitor (Transistor)

-Momohime (Muramasa the demon blade)
YES RED!

More people need to appreciate Supergiant Games (also Nightmare is cool.)

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
YES RED!

More people need to appreciate Supergiant Games (also Nightmare is cool.)
Not red, but the transitor! (couldnt quick search an image of teh Transitor alone :c)..

BTW, yeah, red is amazing, but this was a joke, all teh characters are swords... like literal swords, (except maybe momohime but she was controlled by an evil sword 95% of the time)

thats why is also nightmare specifically from soul calibur IV, because thast teh materialization of soul edge withouth sigfried.

Ironically though, that would make a decent pass XD.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Can I get a list of all the games Sakurai supposedly "loves"? Because so many times I've seen people say "and also since Sakurai is a huge fan of/really likes X game, Y character has a decent shot". idk where y'all are getting this info, but for reals, how many favorites can a single guy have?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Can I get a list of all the games Sakurai supposedly "loves"? Because so many times I've seen people say "and also since Sakurai is a huge fan of/really likes X game, Y character has a decent shot". idk where y'all are getting this info, but for reals, how many favorites can a single guy have?
Sakurai: "I play literally thousands of games of many different genres, companies, etc and as a game dev I tend to appreciate at least 1 thing in the game a lot"
Smash fans: "Clearly this means Smash will feature every game ever made"

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm more amused at how he went and explained what fire emblem is. Like it's been almost 20 years since Fire Emblem showed up in Smash and people still don't know what it even is.
What's Sonic?
I've never heard of this series, Sakurai.
I especially have no idea who Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Silver, Amy, Blaze, or Metal Sonic are.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Sakurai: "I play literally thousands of games of many different genres, companies, etc and as a game dev I tend to appreciate at least 1 thing in the game a lot"
Smash fans: "Clearly this means Smash will feature every game ever made"
which is not that far of the truth honestly. :4larry:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I suppose I'd be happy to say my Top 6 again; as well as my "Expected Sinister 6" - Disregarding Spirits or Assist Trophy Promotions.

Wants:
1: Phoenix Wright
2: Dante
3: Kazuma Kiryu
4: Reimu Hakurei
...Hmm... Beginning to draw some blanks lol.
5: Travis Touchdown
6: Elma

As for expectations:
1: Dante
2: Euden
3: Travis
4: 2B
5: Complete mind-boggle in Master Chief.
6: Ring Fit Adventurer

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I remember he mentioned he likes the Yakuza series.
7fb.gif

He's probably in season 2.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I mean, I've got a lot of games I'd consider favorites. So a game dev who's probably played even more than I have having a ton of favorites doesn't surprise me either.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Made up my own Fighters Pass 2 here:
3 first party reps and 3 third party reps.
[Redacted]
What do you guys think of it?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My list:
-Steve (half of his alts are Alex)
-Geno
-Another 1st/2nd party (i.e. Skull Kid, Porky, Waluigi, Gengar, Bandana Dee, etc.)
-Lloyd Irving
-Crash, Doomguy or Reimu
-Conker or Master Chief

Krankees

Smash Ace
I remember him praising AA's TGS 2005 presentation in a Famitsu column.

phoenix-ready-1-1.jpg

Totally confirmed, 100% guaranteed.

I.D.

Smash Lord
1. A character from the new DLC of FE Three Houses or any FE Three Houses character (except Edelgard of course, why putting the most popular character when you can put a random blue-haired swordman :chuckle: )
Edelgard isn't the most popular 3 houses character. Dimitri is.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I was temped to make a thread just for this question, but I figured that'd be a waste, so I'll ask it here: What characters would you actually want to see get the deluxe costume treatment a la Sans and Cuphead? Basically, a character that would work as an all-concealing Mii Costume, and who comes with a music track from their game.

One that immediately comes to mind is Shovel Knight (Mii Swordfighter), with the song 'Strike the Earth!'. Given his status as an Assist Trophy, it seems pretty unlikely that he'll be added as a DLC fighter, so I think this would be a good compromise.

Another one that comes to mind is Miriam (Mii Swordfighter) from Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, with the song being either 'Voyage of Promise' (the Galleon theme) or 'Luxurious Overture' (the main castle theme). Since Miriam is typically very stoic, her face wouldn't be too off-putting as a mask.

I would also love to see a costume based on Madeline (Mii Brawler) from Celeste, with the song 'First Steps' (the song for the first level, Forsaken City). I've gotten a good deal of the way through the game, and I've liked what I've played thus far, so I'd be really happy to see it get some love in Smash.

Yooka & Laylee (Mii Brawler) would be cool as well. Given how chill the music for the game is, I think that they'd have to make a more energetic remix of the main theme. The Yooka head would have Laylee sitting on top, and it'd jiggle as you move.

So, any ideas?

Kokiden

Smash Ace
If you look at pass one, Joker set the tone for the entire pass - Unexpected, varied, brings new mechanics to the game in some form. I expect whoever opens pass 2 will be the same. /QUOTE]

That tone was kept up until the last reveal lol.

After how the last pass ended, I don't think the first person will set any such tone.

It's going to be unexpected throughout the entire pass, with no patterns, rules, or fall into the confines of any theories. Too unpredictable.

It's why I think people using company quotas like "we need a Namco rep" or "but so and so retweeted this" won't mean anything

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
HA, silly people with your lists, have my very obviously SUPERIOR list that is not only accurate but also what I want

Character Skull Kid
Stage Clock Town
Music
Stone Tower
Clock Town
Majora Battle
Deku Palace
Ikana Castle
A medley of Song of Healing, final hours, giants theme/oath to order
Boss Theme
Mini boss theme
Eclipse of the moon (Hyrule warriors)
Mayor's office
Magic hag potion shop

Character: Bandana Dee
Stage: Another Dimension
Songs:
Another Dimension
Landia
Sullied Grace
Friend Train
Superstar Ultra medley (Masked Dedede, Kabula, Heavy Lobster)
Apple juice song
Dededestroyer X
Mind in the program
Noble Haltmann
Song of Supplication

Character: King Boo
Stage: Final Resort
Music:
Luigi's Mansion 3 main theme remix (resemblance to Boo theme)
King Boo battle (LM1)
Library Piano (LM2) (remix)
Ghostly Galaxy
Shifty Boo mansion (3DW)
Ghost House Medley (Mario Maker)
Twisted Mansion
Luigi's Mansion (Mario Kart)

Character: Rex and Pyra
Stage: Leftherian Archipelago
Song
Counterattack
Mor Ardain
Uncontrollable
Song of Giga Rosa
Bringer of Chaos Ultimate
God Slaying Sword
You will recall our names
Battle!! (Torna)
Gormott
Letherian Archipelago

Character: Dixie Kong
Stage: Tropical Tour (I couldn't pick one Tropical Freeze stage)
Soundtrack:
Windmill Hill
Homecoming Hijinx
Grassland Groove
Alps Theme
Big top bop
Scorch N Torch
Forest Folly
Horn top hop

Character: Lugia (yes)
Stage Whirl Island
The songs
Song of Lugia (anime)
Lugia Battle theme
Johto Bike ride
Ho-oh battle
Johto Champion
Regi battle
Weather trio battle
Hoenn Elite four
Team Plasma
Team Skull
Gym battle Galar
Wild Pokemon Galar
Battle Tower Galar (or whatever the Tobi Fox song is, I'm not far enough in)

Yes this is happening, and is totally not just my hopes and dreams

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Character: Lugia (yes)
Stage Whirl Island
The songs
Song of Lugia (anime)
Lugia Battle theme
Johto Bike ride
Ho-oh battle
Johto Champion
Regi battle
Weather trio battle
Hoenn Elite four
Team Plasma
Team Skull
Gym battle Galar
Wild Pokemon Galar
Battle Tower Galar (or whatever the Tobi Fox song is, I'm not far enough in)
Eyy someone else who has Lugia as a pipe dream! I see you and I support you.

Also yes, the Battle Tower battle theme is composed by Toby Fox.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I was temped to make a thread just for this question, but I figured that'd be a waste, so I'll ask it here: What characters would you actually want to see get the deluxe costume treatment a la Sans and Cuphead? Basically, a character that would work as an all-concealing Mii Costume, and who comes with a music track from their game.

One that immediately comes to mind is Shovel Knight (Mii Swordfighter), with the song 'Strike the Earth!'. Given his status as an Assist Trophy, it seems pretty unlikely that he'll be added as a DLC fighter, so I think this would be a good compromise.

Another one that comes to mind is Miriam (Mii Swordfighter) from Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, with the song being either 'Voyage of Promise' (the Galleon theme) or 'Luxurious Overture' (the main castle theme). Since Miriam is typically very stoic, her face wouldn't be too off-putting as a mask.

I would also love to see a costume based on Madeline (Mii Brawler) from Celeste, with the song 'First Steps' (the song for the first level, Forsaken City). I've gotten a good deal of the way through the game, and I've liked what I've played thus far, so I'd be really happy to see it get some love in Smash.

Yooka & Laylee (Mii Brawler) would be cool as well. Given how chill the music for the game is, I think that they'd have to make a more energetic remix of the main theme. The Yooka head would have Laylee sitting on top, and it'd jiggle as you move.

So, any ideas?
There are only a few more that'd work well anatomically and without the face mask being too uncanny imo. Assuming they stick with the full-body coverup motif. Shovel Knight, Steve, Quote, uhhh... well Geno would work, but the response wouldn't be fun.

I wouldn't buy Steve but I'd buy the other three.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

So, any ideas?
The knight or Hornet from Hollow Knight as a mii swordfighter.
I would like Hornet as a full fighter but wouldn't mind the enhanced mii treatment as well.

I.D.

Smash Lord
It's why I think people using company quotas like "we need a Namco rep" or "but so and so retweeted this" won't mean anything
I'll believe in the mythical Namco rep when I see it. It's like the Bigfoot or something at this point.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Next Fighters Pass:

4 picks that are from Sakurai's favorite games. All worthy of Smash but people will initially complain then get over it.
1 8th Generation Pokemon that everyone will complain about and claiming Pokemon over-representation and waste of Challenger Pack slot over.
1 fan favorite like Geno, Lloyd, Isaac, Waluigi.

There. That's it. Go home folks.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Eyy someone else who has Lugia as a pipe dream! I see you and I support you.

Also yes, the Battle Tower battle theme is composed by Toby Fox.
Lugia is my all time favourite Pokemon of all time do it's only natural. But I'm OK with his current role, he's been a heavy hitter since Melee. Although he does get nerfed pretty much every game

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Does a half a point mean one of the characters gets an "eh, it's alright" instead of indifference or indifference instead of disappointment?
1 = Hell yeah!
.5 = That's fine.
0 = Do not want

For those wondering what a 6/6 Fighters Pass looks like, it looks like THIS:

FightersPass2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom