• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I never tried to pass mine off as the "correct" one, but I can start doing that if you want me to. Despite what you just said, I've presented countless arguments. More than anyone else I've seen on the other end of the debate, and nobody's been able to adequately refute them.

They pretty much are. Disjointed hitboxes. That's your entire gameplan made for you right there.

Then it's not big enough to deserve having eight characters.
The only two arguments you've been able to produce are "Fire Emblem has too many characters" and "The weapon master gimmick doesn't matter because lances and axes play the same because they have a disjointed hitbox". Both of these have been refuted by plenty of people.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Y'all are responding to a banned individual. Knock it off and move on. There's plenty more to talk about. Like, how ****ing pretty F!Byleth is.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Dropping my ideas for FP2 here. It's some weird amalgamation between wishes and actual predictions but it'll do. Not in specific order btw.
-Bandana Dee
-Rayman
-Nightmare
-Travis
-Arle
-The knight
My top 3 are on here so it's obviously heavily biased. Still, I'd consider them realistic enough possibilities personally. Feel free to share thoughts.

Btw, since we got a whole lot of droughts and overall nothing coming up and it looks like Byleth controversy won't die down soon it might be wise for me to drop out of this thread for a good while and only pop back in when stuff like E3 or directs roll around.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ooooh I know what y’all can talk about!
So pass 2 will also have music and stages, which is honestly really awesome

wonder if they’ll have Spirit Boards too?

which brings me to this: make some Spirit Boards for your most wanted! I’ll do some of mine:

1. Shiki Misaki - represented by red haired :ultlucina: and :ultpichu:
2. Yoshiya “Joshua” Kiryu - represented by Melia-colored :ultshulk:
3. Beat & Rhyme - represented by :ultken: and :ultinkling:
4. Coco Atarashi - represented by purple :ultrosalina:
5. Yodai Higashizawa - represented by :ultganondorf:
6. Sho Minamimoto - represented by black-clad :ultfalcon:
7. Mitsuki Konishi - represented by :ultzss:
8. Koki Kariya and Uzuki Yashiro - represented by :ultcloud: and :ultbayonetta:
9. Megumi Kitaniji - represented by brown haired :ultsimon:
10. Sanae “CAT” Hanekoma - represented by :ultsnake:

1. Off The Hook (Octo Expansion) - represented by Narwhal Lilac Female Octoling and Knight Slate Male Octoling
2. Cap'n Cuttlefish (Octo Expansion) - represented by :ultsheik: (idk why)
3. C.Q. Cumber - represented by :ultsquirtle:
4. Iso Padre - represented by gray :ultkrool:
5. Sanitized Octarian - represented by :ultgreninja:
6. Octobot King II (DJ Octavio feat. Callie)* - represented by :ultdarksamus: and :ultinkling:
7. Mysterious Telephone** - represented by :ultrob:
8. NILS Statue - represented by :ultbowser: who frequently uses his final smash?
* = yes I know that’s the base game Hero Mode and not Octo Expansion. I just felt like including it (if we get Tidal Rush with it it’s a double win)
** = evolves into Commander Tartar

1. Irina Akulov - represented by :ultcorrinf:
2. Gwin Evans - represented by :ultrichter:
3. L’cirufe aka L - represented by :ultlittlemac:
4. Celica (Xenoblade Chronicles X) - represented by black dress:ultrosalina:
5. Secretary Nagi - represented by :ultryu:
6. Ga Jiarg and Ga Buidhe - represented by :ultincineroar: and :ultmewtwo:
Lao (Chimera) - represented by :ultridley:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's not so much that FE has too many characters as it is Sakurai just adding too many at once when there's not really a demand for it. Five characters across two games is more than most Nintendo franchises have gotten altogether, and it feels like Sakurai is going out of his way for FE when fans had to practically beg for more Metroid and DK characters.

Now if he had left out Corrin and added Lucina OR Chrom, I don't think you'd hear nearly as many complaints.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Rewatched nearly every trailer, and Byleth's is easily one of, if not the worst one. It didn't have any surprise factor, the dialogue was corny, and overall it isn't hype inducing at all. It's disappointing, Robin/Lucina's trailer was awesome and Corrin's was at least a bit funny for the absurdity of Corrin leaving their families to fight in Smash instead. Byleth's just wasn't fun.
I can agree with that. My main problem with the trailer is that as an outsider, it didn't give me sufficient context to understand who or what kind of person Byleth is and why I should be interested in the character. And it managed to accomplish this while being heavy on dialogue. Imagine if Phoenix Wright got in Smash but not only do his trailer primarily consist of dialogue that doesn't really explain who Phoenix Wright is, but it don't even show the viewer that Phoenix Wright is an awesome defense attorney who can overcome any odds in the court of law to save the innocent defendant from being wrongly convicted. To me, that's how Byleth's trailer felt like.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Eh I saw some hate for Richter when he was revealed, not much but there was some people who didn't like the idea of 3rd party echoes and thought he was just a random choice.
Huh, the only reactions I personally noticed that much was "Who?" and "Richter's so handsome!:love:" Probably because I was too busy paying attention to the Simon and K. Rool reactions.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I love how Nintendo doesn't care about starting twitter wars in the comment section
While I doubt that twitt was intentionally toxic, Nintendo once pulled a similar move with the "Accolades" trailer for Pokémon Sword and Shield, so don't be surprised if that post disappears later.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Believe it or not, I actually do remember a few people complaining because Metroid got two characters. Same with Richter, but that doesn't surprise me as much.
Okay then, it seems like only :ultinkling: got off scot-free. Woomy! (That's what all the squid kids are saying these days right?).

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

I love how Nintendo doesn't care about starting twitter wars in the comment section
Y'all should see this tweet from Cassandra Lee Morris (voice of Sothis):

Best hecking thing ever.
Okay then, it seems like only :ultinkling: got off scot-free. Woomy! (That's what all the squid kids are saying these days right?).
Can't hate perfection.

hqdefault.jpg

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So I want to also try to do a 6 newcomer prediction for the second pass. One thing that I did realize is Sakurai emphasis on new mechanics and gameplay idea, so I based my pass around that:
-Dante: could bring style changing mechanics, which would change his moveset a little bit
-Steve: could bring building mechanics
-Ryu Hayabusa: make him a high risk/high reward character to show how difficult Ninja gaiden was. Probably more combo based
-Arle: I don't know much about her, but I guess she could bring puzzle game mechanics in some way or another
-Doom slayer: he have a limited amount of ammo for his weapon
-The chorus kids: you have to attack based on the beat of the conductor in the background

Honestly I don't think Rhythm heaven will happen at this point, so that one was more wishlist than prediction but I could see the other happen. If you have other cool new mechanic idea let me know.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Gatekeeper getting into Smash as a cameo is so fantastic, honestly. Like, he isn't even a playable character and doesn't have any plot relevance, but he's a legitimate fan favorite to so many people. It's things like his inclusion that really make me love Smash.

Like, Max's reaction to Rock Howard? That was the reaction of so many Three Houses fans when Gatekeeper showed up.

Arcari17

Smash Rookie
I think my only true gripe with this first wave of DLC is that there were no (standalone) female characters. Note the standalone: I don't count Kazooie because she's only half of the Banjo-Kazooie character, and I don't count Byleth either because there's both a male and female option due to Byleth being the player avatar for Three Houses. Just my personal opinion. I would love a straight up female fighter (Shantae please come home).

Semi-related: I enjoyed this writeup on Reddit explaining how Fire Emblem is more a victim of circumstance than anything else.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I can agree with that. My main problem with the trailer is that as an outsider, it didn't give me sufficient context to understand who or what kind of person Byleth is and why I should be interested in the character. And it managed to accomplish this while being heavy on dialogue. Imagine if Phoenix Wright got in Smash but not only do his trailer primarily consist of dialogue that doesn't really explain who Phoenix Wright is, but it don't even show the viewer that Phoenix Wright is an awesome defense attorney who can overcome any odds in the court of law to save the innocent defendant from being wrongly convicted. To me, that's how Byleth's trailer felt like.
They should have done more a Isabelle route. Have him being in the classroom teaching for then to be assigned a mission by one of the heads up which is to join Smash brothers

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I remember the good old days in early Smash 4 speculation where Star Fox (I kid you not) was seen as the overrepresented series over DK & Metroid instead of Fire Emblem.

If Krystal got in, it would had 4 characters alongside big names Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda which was seen as the max limit in the Brawl-Smash 4 era.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ulttoonlink::ultganondorf:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultjigglypuff::ultlucario:

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'd say if anything Fire Emblem is a beneficiary of circumstance. Would hardly call a series getting 8 characters a victim.
Gatdam, I wish my favorite games were "victims of circumstance" too :laugh:
It sounds amazing on paper, but considering that four of them are built of the same moveset, and a fifth isn't very far away, and the sixth to be added comes from the worst game in the franchise, yeah, I'd sooner say victim.

Once again, it's a combination of too much and not different enough. If we trimmed the fat, we'd be left with Marth, Robin and Byleth for sure. Maybe Ike and Corrin. Unless it's not about who the characters are and what they bring to the table, just CSS slots and series symbols. Surface level boon, but beyond the surface? I wouldn't say so.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I can see why if you're not a fan of the game the trailer wasn't that exciting for you. I get that. As a fan of Byleth and TH in general though? That's one of the funniest trailers I've ever seen, even funnier than WFT or Terry. It's almost like a parody of a super serious scene in Three Houses and that had me rolling. Between Solon being completely baffled about the existence of Smash, MByleth constantly dying, Byleth's solution to Sothis saying "Oh, too many swords men?" being to turn into a woman with an axe (and lance, and bow), and then FByleth just yeeting away like ****ing Goku as Solon looks on confused, it's a trailer that fills me with joy the more times I watch it. Also the gameplay part where they do a Gambit Boost and ten tiny Ice Climbers come rushing by...just a great reference.

I mean, I'm going to say that despite defending a TH rep in this thread, they were never big on my list, and I'm a little sad that Officer Howard got spirited away if we were going to get a modern character from a Switch game. But Three Houses is a very comfy game for me, so it's nice to see it turn up in another game that is also very comfy for me.

As for characters I hope to see in Smash next, I have my list that hasn't changed much (Phoenix, Arle, Style Savvy, 2B, Heihachi, etc.) but at this point the only character I truly want to see in Smash over any others is Travis Touchdown. I realized last night that I do understand how Geno fans, Isaac fans, et. al. feel, because Travis is that character to me. He feels so possible and he's such a longtime request that preys on my nostalgia just right and finally getting him in would be one of the most cathartic moments for me. Plus he's a grappler with a lightsaber and special chip-activated powers and a recharge mechanic. He's made for the game.

Oh and overall the fighters pass is a 10/10. It was a 10/10 the moment I got Joker. Getting Terry and to a lesser extent Byleth was just icing, and Hero is super well-deserved and Banjo is a character that while my want for him waned since the N64 days is just nice to see back. I'll probably wait 'til the first character drops for Fighters Pass Vol. 2 before buying it, because that's what happened with Joker and Vol. 1.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think my only true gripe with this first wave of DLC is that there were no (standalone) female characters. Note the standalone: I don't count Kazooie because she's only half of the Banjo-Kazooie character, and I don't count Byleth either because there's both a male and female option due to Byleth being the player avatar for Three Houses. Just my personal opinion. I would love a straight up female fighter (Shantae please come home).
There might be a chance we can get more female characters in the next pass. Who knows though.

I.D.

Smash Lord
It sounds amazing on paper, but considering that four of them are built of the same moveset, and a fifth isn't very far away, and the sixth to be added comes from the worst game in the franchise, yeah, I'd sooner say victim.
Poor Fire Emblem fans. However will they survive with ONLY 5 unique characters!? Thank God Xenoblade fans don't have to suffer the agony of being disgraced with a Shulk echo fighter :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom