• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Tin foil hat theory time.

I hope Sakurai using BotW as an example and specifically mentioning BotW Zelda's inability to fight again leads to something interesting in FP2.

If Zelda's somehow playable in BotW 2 (which I'm really hoping she is) maybe we'll finally get a new LoZ character.

cothero

Smash Lord
I'm not surprised. Not one bit. And that makes sense. Fire Emblem is a successful Nintendo title, and before Byleth was released, they released entirely third party characters. I watched about five minutes of the presentation and went back to sleep, i was really tired (and disappointed too). But now i see the character is quite cool. I've just got the info that we'll get more 6 characters, and i'm really impressed with that amount. And wow, Cuphead and Altair Mii costumes? That's amazing. Let's see how much time they'll take to release all of them. One thing i'm sure as hell: one of them is going to be a Sword and Shield Pokémon.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
>People thought Daisy theory meant something

XD

Also, reminder that Gamexplain “predictions” usually end up being right, regardless of what they want you to believe. Literally all of them were backing a first party, and one of them even outright called Byleth.
I never got around to watching to it, but let me guess it was Jon who called Byleth.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Check it out

The artifact theory was true just not on it being doomguy

The green was infact the background but it wasn’t part of the character it was the characters background color

I knew there was no way to identity who it was it was like trying to confirm big foot and Loch Ness monster photos

Funny fact I was right on suspicious pixels on the arm it was part of male byleths sword

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
Byleth makes me happy and sad for two different reasons.

I haven't played Fire Emblem, so I'm not really excited.

It makes me happy because:

PapaGenos is wrong, and maybe he will finally stop this absolute ridiculous obsessive notion of seeing hints everywhere.

It makes me sad because:

It means we are getting a ducking Pokemon fighter at some point, and Sword and Shield should NOT be given any attention.

EDIT: LMAOOOOO COLOUR THEORY :rotfl:

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 & Fire Emblem for Switch were announced the same month (January 2017), its possible both Byleth & Rex/Pyra were floating around at the same time for Sakurai to consider.
Yeah that makes sense.

But it would've been nice to see Xenoblade get a 2nd rep instead of... FE getting an 8th one

Look, I generally like FE and Byleth by far is the most unique FE rep we've gotten, which is a very good thing

But I'd be lying if I said that this doesn't tick me off to some capacity

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I said it before, but I'm pretty content with everything. We're getting a 2nd season pass, so it's not like it's all over. However, there's nothing wrong with giving out some disappointment and showing some criticism towards the choice. The problem lies on how people handles it. Not liking the character doesn't give you the right to act like a ****. Nobody is entitled to anything. I'm grateful for the work Sakurai continues to put in the game, so I'll gladly support his new selection of fighters.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Where is this coming from, exactly? Dunno, seems odd that they would swap things around this much - not to mention inefficient.
Not inefficient at all. This happens fairly regularly in DLC practices, but is rarely made public because why share that.

It's not like they're working on one character at a time. Preliminary work is done on multiple characters at once by separate sections of the team-- there are concept artists, texture artists, wireframe animators, etc., who have to move onto something else once their part of the character is done.

So the idea that Hayabusa was partially worked on and Byleth was less partially worked on, then they swapped due to some sort of scheduling issue, is entirely believable. A similar rumor went around about the FighterZ season two pass, how they nixed the last four characters in favor of Gogeta and Broly (Super) to capitalize on the movie being such an enormous hit, then moved them back to season three. If season three is announced and has those four characters (Roshi, Radditz, uh... I forget the other two) then the rumor was legit.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
Like honestly, I'm... OK w/ Byleth being in

But there's one thing that's seriously annoying me...

Somehow Rex & Pyra, characters that were from a 2017 Nintendo game, were just considered for the pass, but just missed it (for some reason)

Yet Byleth, a character from a 2019 Nintendo game got into this pass...

It kinda sucks since I really want more Xeno representation
Timing unfortunately. Released too late to be base roster, too early to profit from DLC. Plus I think Xenoblade is still a relative question mark to Nintendo, whereas Three Houses was in development forever and they were doing everything to make sure it was a success. Would love more Xeno rep as well, maybe a Xenoblade X remake will be announced soon!

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

http://itest.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1579010436/831

I was too lazy to translate this before the direct but this supposed leak somewhat was right. It's not saying much tho.

FP1 was supposed be Hero / Terry / Banjo / Hayabusa / Joker.
After FP1's reveal, Nintendo noticed that Hayabusa got leaked but FP2 was decided fairly soon after Ultimates' release, they decided to move Hayabusa into FP2. This was also because they wanted to keep pace with Koei Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden project development.
FP2 was decided before E3, but the lineup was finalized in the summer after E3.
FP3 is already has been decided and they are still under negotiations.
The character revealed tomorrow is someone from Nintendo who was supposed to be in FP2.
Very interesting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can buy that there was a re-ordering of characters. It's not like work done on them gets scrapped, just put on hold while priority shifts to a character that will get released sooner.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Not inefficient at all. This happens fairly regularly in DLC practices, but is rarely made public because why share that.

It's not like they're working on one character at a time. Preliminary work is done on multiple characters at once by separate sections of the team-- there are concept artists, texture artists, wireframe animators, etc., who have to move onto something else once their part of the character is done.

So the idea that Hayabusa was partially worked on and Byleth was less partially worked on, then they swapped due to some sort of scheduling issue, is entirely believable. A similar rumor went around about the FighterZ season two pass, how they nixed the last four characters in favor of Gogeta and Broly (Super) to capitalize on the movie being such an enormous hit, then moved them back to season three. If season three is announced and has those four characters (Roshi, Radditz, uh... I forget the other two) then the rumor was legit.
Yeah, I know that, but the order the user suggested was Hero, Terry, Banjo & Kazooie, Hayabusa and Joker. Hero makes sense, considering the datamine and how early a Square character leaked, but I find that odd considering Terry was only ready for full show between September and November. The times don't really match if Terry indeed was meant to be the second. That's why it seems inefficient - you'd be derailing the entire project because one character leaked (Hayabusa). That's what doesn't click in my mind.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I just noticed that male and female Byleth have different idle stances..that's interesting to me, since she is just an alternate costume and, correct me if I'm wrong, every alt character/gender costume has still kept the same idle stances.
Yeah that makes sense.

But it would've been nice to see Xenoblade get a 2nd rep instead of... FE getting an 8th one

Look, I generally like FE and Byleth by far is the most unique FE rep we've gotten, which is a very good thing

But I'd be lying if I said that this doesn't tick me off to some capacity
Honestly, since Nintendo chose the DLC during Ultimate's development, its likely they foresaw Fire Emblem: Three Houses selling more than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so opted for that instead..I mean, Xenoblade Chronicles & Xenoblade Chronicles X didn't exactly set the world on fire and its not like they expected Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to sell as well as it did end up doing..so I'm expected Rex & Pyra in Fighters Pass 2.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Considering all the cloudcrafting theories which have been part of every iteration since Brawl, I'm still not convinced this is anything more than incidental.
I'm 90% certain this one was officially confirmed though. Not that I would be able to find if it was though. It could have been my taking hearsay for fact at the time.

It makes me sad because:

It means we are getting a ducking Pokemon fighter at some point, and Sword and Shield should NOT be given any attention.
I doubt it.

Would love more Xeno rep as well, maybe a Xenoblade X remake will be announced soon!
The official word is that if (big if) they were to port the game it would be a more like remastered edition. Which is exciting if they decide to go with it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Smash fanbase sucks, lol.
Fire emblem fanbase sucks
Both fanbases suck. There are so many bad memes on both sides I can't really think of a lighter way to put it.

Given the amount of cooperation between the developers of both series and how much they've contributed to each other's successes, it amazes me to see the bad blood that has developed between the fandoms.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

http://itest.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1579010436/831

I was too lazy to translate this before the direct but this supposed leak somewhat was right. It's not saying much tho.

FP1 was supposed be Hero / Terry / Banjo / Hayabusa / Joker.
After FP1's reveal, Nintendo noticed that Hayabusa got leaked but FP2 was decided fairly soon after Ultimates' release, they decided to move Hayabusa into FP2. This was also because they wanted to keep pace with Koei Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden project development.
FP2 was decided before E3, but the lineup was finalized in the summer after E3.
The character revealed tomorrow is someone from Nintendo who was supposed to be in FP2.
So if this is true, Fighters Pass 3 is already coming? That's nuts... and also a good thing. Just like when "post-Pass" DLC was announced, even if someone doesn't get into Fighters Pass 2, there's always 3.

Still... Sakurai really needs that break. Just get someone else to take over Ultimate's DLC development and take that vacation, man. You've earned it ten times over at this point.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I have no intention to buy the new Pokemon, but I like the designs of the new monsters and I would totally be ok if one of the DLC characters what the water lizard or the soccer bunny or even the buff hairy green imp.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So to echo what I said in the Edelgard thread, I'm sad they didn't go with her, but you know what?

At least Three Houses got its content. And man did they do it justice. The Garreg Mach stage is literally perfect in every way, and we have a great selection of music (including Apex of the World!). Plus Edelgard's there in the back, being great as always.

And hey Aymr's in three of Byleth's moves, so that's at least something. Also this is the first time we've seen the official art for Dorothea, Ingrid, Hilda, Seteth, and Rhea, so that's really cool.

So while it's disappointing Edelgard isn't in, I'm still happy over all, because Three Houses only getting spirits would've been really disappointing.

I can't overstate how happy I am with the stage. If y'all know me, I've been a huge proponent of Fire Emblem getting more actual stages. You know, ones like Arena Ferox instead of Coliseum and Castle Siege. So while Byleth over Edelgard doesn't make this the best outcome for me, it's easily the second best, and that's awesome.

Garreg Mach made the Pass for me.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I hope Capcom gets at least one character for the second pass. Dante, Phoenix, Amaterasu, etc. At the very least one would be nice.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Both fanbases suck. There are so many bad memes on both sides I can't really think of a lighter way to put it.

Given the amount of cooperation between the developers of both series and how much they've contributed to each other's successes, it amazes me to see the bad blood that has developed between the fandoms.
Fanbases in general usually suck.

Like, can't we just all get along? It's just video games.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I'm sure Rex and Elma are coming soon because Sakurai included another character from one of his favorite series guys :laugh:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah, I know that, but the order the user suggested was Hero, Terry, Banjo & Kazooie, Hayabusa and Joker. Hero makes sense, considering the datamine and how early a Square character leaked, but I find that odd considering Terry was only ready for full show between September and November. The times don't really match if Terry indeed was meant to be the second. That's why it seems inefficient - you'd be derailing the entire project because one character leaked (Hayabusa). That's what doesn't click in my mind.
I don't think the order of the characters listed in that post was meant to indicate the order of release though. Unless I'm just reading it wrong.

Like, I see absolutely no point in moving Joker from last to first because of a Hayabusa leak. That's a solution to an unrelated problem. In which case, I agree with you.

D

Deleted member

i am shocked. angered. genuinely disappointed.

five characters in this pass. five characters. and baboom wasn't even considered.

i'm never buying another smash game. i suggest you all do the same.

D

Deleted member

If you can sell me on Byleth of all characters, a blank ass slate in his own game, you can now sell me on anyone. Series I originally didn't want like Pokemon are now looking like tantalizing options to me, and that's great.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
i am shocked. angered. genuinely disappointed.

five characters in this pass. five characters. and baboom wasn't even considered.

i'm never buying another smash game. i suggest you all do the same.
Nice to see you too, faygo.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don't think the order of the characters listed in that post was meant to indicate the order of release though. Unless I'm just reading it wrong.

Like, I see absolutely no point in moving Joker from last to first because of a Hayabusa leak. That's a solution to an unrelated problem. In which case, I agree with you.
Yeah, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seemed like the order mattered in the post AND that Joker becoming first, Terry becoming fourth and Byleth as last was a decision made solely because of leaks, if I read the post right. So yeah. I know rescheduling things in game dev is a thing, but I'm skeptical if this is truly what the user meant.

Regardless, I do think Hayabusa has good chances in Season 2. And it would explain the whole thing with Shifty. So... we wait and see, I guess.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just noticed that male and female Byleth have different idle stances..that's interesting to me, since she is just an alternate costume and, correct me if I'm wrong, every alt character/gender costume has still kept the same idle stances.
They don't. It's just likely that their idle animations are longer or trigger more randomly than the other fighters.

I can't overstate how happy I am with the stage. If y'all know me, I've been a huge proponent of Fire Emblem getting more actual stages. You know, ones like Arena Ferox instead of Coliseum and Castle Siege. So while Byleth over Edelgard doesn't make this the best outcome for me, it's easily the second best, and that's awesome.

Garreg Mach made the Pass for me.
I feel like Garreg Mach is probably the weakest DLC stages though. Just a bunch of walkoffs and some hazards that won't affect battle much. The reception hall in particular will make 1v1s really bad since the optimal strategy will be to just stand on the chandeliers until the transformation is over.
EDIT: Though I suppose that only applies if you can jump up there and your opponent can't even hit the thing so uh...R.I.P. Little Mac I guess.

I suppose it's just meant for free for alls, but that even then there's not much going on. One of the transformations is just Bridge of Eldin, but the middle is never destroyed.

EDIT EDIT: Though I will admit, having an actual location instead of just theming for a stage is much better.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
On one hand, Byleth looks interesting because he/she breaks down the traditional Fire Emblem character we have in Smash right now. On the other hand, I'm feeling Sakurai's biased opinion towards FE is playing big time and getting annoying.

I'm expecting a Pokemon character in the next DLC patch just to make people mad

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Reminder I called a FE character being in the pass since day 1. I think it's time you guys listened to a real leaker.

Really glad I never bought the fighters pass lmao.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Makes no sense to single out Ryu Hayabusa when Erdrick had far more promising leaks. The only leak Hayabusa had was a fake 5ch one that got him and Doom Guy in the lime light.
There were the IAmShifty and Brew leaks as well, the former was especially notable since he had a previous track record. I’m not sure those leaks gained enough traction for the Smash team to switch their whole schedule around, but given how determined it seems that they’ve been to keep Byleth a secret, who knows.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
This old post of mine is interesting

I don't believe in the color theory.
The DLC characters use colors that not only have different hues, but also different brightness and saturation values; they don't seem to make an harmony if put together (basically, they are random colors).
Also, not only the DLC characters, but all the characters have a different background color (you can see it in the upper banner), and if you want to find the unused colors, you should extract all the colors of all the fighters in the roster and map them in a color wheel, and find the place of the wheel with the biggest "hole". Still very inaccurate and not much useful in finding the next characters.

So far, sticking with DLC colors only, my guess is that the next character is either lime or high saturated purple, but remember that we are going to get other characters after this pass, so there will be more colors, and different shades of already used colors are guaranteed.
I was so close in guessing lime, it's not fully lime but almost...

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Reminder I called a FE character being in the pass since day 1. I think it's time you guys listened to a real leaker.

Really glad I never bought the fighters pass lmao.
Funny, because I regretted buying the pass after Joker was revealed. But by the end of it I considered it money well spent.

4-out-of-5 ain't bad.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So if this is true, Fighters Pass 3 is already coming? That's nuts... and also a good thing. Just like when "post-Pass" DLC was announced, even if someone doesn't get into Fighters Pass 2, there's always 3.

Still... Sakurai really needs that break. Just get someone else to take over Ultimate's DLC development and take that vacation, man. You've earned it ten times over at this point.
Sakurai wouldn't go for that though, he greatly prefers to have control over his series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom