• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's time bois.

I might not get SMT in smash, but I can have a little piece of fame when everyone starts posting these memes.
Featuring Dante.png

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Don't know about you guys but it would be cool if Sakurai gave us more stuff for Stage Builder. Maybe he could add enemies or targets like target test and allow you to create your own single player levels.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Totally playing through DMC3 again if he ends up making it.
I really need to play an entry that isn't DmC. I'm familiar with the series from watching friends play it, and I've meant to pick up some of the other games several times. It just never ended up happening.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Kinda brings up an interesting game to see how well-versed you are in the characters of Smash. List out all of the characters, and just identify whether you've played one of their main-series games, 'played' here meaning more than a few minute demo. Or do you really only know them from spin-offs? Or is Smash the only place you've ever experienced them?
Thoroughly played:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultpiranha::ultdoc::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultzss::ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultfalcon::ultness::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:

Barely/haven't played:
:ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultcorrin::ultchrom::ultolimar::ultrob::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultinkling::ultjoker:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That feel when everyone's excited for Dante but you don't think he's even on the table.

I hope no one will be too disappointed...

Don't know about you guys but it would be cool if Sakurai gave us more stuff for Stage Builder. Maybe he could add enemies or targets like target test and allow you to create your own single player levels.
All of my yes.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
EOQxMzlWsAEJDG0.jpg

This is the true meaning behind Sakurai's pose.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I'll play the "How well do you know the Smash characters game":

Characters I've played full games of/know pretty well: :ultbanjokazooie::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultfalco::ultfox::ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmegaman::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultpiranha::ultsonic::ultwario::ultvillager::ultwolf::ultyoshi:

Characters I haven't played full games of, but I'm very familiar with them and their stories: :ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultryu::ultken::ultsheik::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultlink:

Characters I knew barely anything about before Smash: :ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultduckhunt::ulthero::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ultjigglypuff::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultpalutena::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac:

Characters I learned about in Smash: :ulticeclimbers::ultness::ultlucas::ultwiifittrainer::ultfalcon::ultcorrin::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultrobin:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
After all the stuff that happened a couple months ago and with the presentation in two days, are there any frontrunners for who the next character could be? I have a feeling I missed some stuff during my few weeks of absence.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Kinda brings up an interesting game to see how well-versed you are in the characters of Smash. List out all of the characters, and just identify whether you've played one of their main-series games, 'played' here meaning more than a few minute demo. Or do you really only know them from spin-offs? Or is Smash the only place you've ever experienced them? And this is just for fun, not a way to say "I've experienced everyone so I'm better than you," or "You haven't seen them at all, your opinions are trash."
Played a main series game featuring them to completion or near completion:
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultcorrinf::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultjigglypuff::ultjoker::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlucario::ultluigi::ultmario::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpiranha::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultsonic:

Have at least played their game/s:
:ultdiddy::ultdk::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultisabelle::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultridley::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultsnake::ult_terry::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwolf::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultzss:

My knowledge is secondhand based on my knowledge of the series:
:ultganondorf::ultike::ultkrool::ultmarth::ultroy::ultsheik::ultrichter::ultwario::ultyoshi:

No real knowledge or connection to the series outside of Smash:
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultdoc::ulthero::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultlucas::ultmegaman::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:

It's rough, but this is basically my knowledge on all the characters

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Kinda brings up an interesting game to see how well-versed you are in the characters of Smash. List out all of the characters, and just identify whether you've played one of their main-series games, 'played' here meaning more than a few minute demo. Or do you really only know them from spin-offs? Or is Smash the only place you've ever experienced them? And this is just for fun, not a way to say "I've experienced everyone so I'm better than you," or "You haven't seen them at all, your opinions are trash."
Have played a main-series game from them:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultpacman::ultpiranha:
Have only played spin-offs with them:
:ultbowser::ultwario::ultvillager::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultisabelle:
Do not know them outside Smash:
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultness::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultsnake::ultike::ultlucas::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultrob::ultwolf::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:
Found it was easier to find the ones I haven't played a substantial amount of

Sampled a game with them
:ultfalcon::ultness::ultmarth::ultroy::ultgnw::ultsnake:(Played games with his dad as the MC):ultike::ultrob::ultsimon:

Not got a game with them
:ultrob:(Unless you count Mario Kart DS) :ultcorrinf::ultrichter::ultjoker:(Unless you count Sonic Forces):ult_terry:

And Dragon Quest Hero is an odd one as I put a lot of hours into DQ9 but only sampled DQ8

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh and idk if it’s worth noting anymore but

that resetera dude was right, the New flag means nothing anymore. ITS STILL UP ON THE SMASH SITE EVEN POST ANNOUNCEMENT.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
After all the stuff that happened a couple months ago and with the presentation in two days, are there any frontrunners for who the next character could be? I have a feeling I missed some stuff during my few weeks of absence.
While I wouldn't say they're frontrunners per se, there's definite rumors swirling around the 16th for two characters, Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo) and Dante (Devil May Cry). Puyo Puyo Tsu, pretty much the biggest non-Tetris puzzle game out there, is coming to the eShop on the 16th which is a release that was accidentally leaked via early news update and then removed the day of the Pokemon Direct. combine that with the director of the series RTing the Direct and you have some circumstantial evidence. It's also worth noting that Arle was a solid Japanese request during the Sm4sh ballot and the producer of the series has compared Puyo Puyo Tsu and Puyo Puyo Champions to Melee and Ultimate, respectively. Add the fact that much like SNK's arcade games, Puyo Puyo Tetris was a surprising early Switch hit and Puyo Puyo Tsu was ported in its original state to SNES Switch Online and you have an interesting push for Puyo Puyo in the West.

For Dante, we've been told by their social media team to look out for info about DMC3 on the 16th. He's a huge name, and the series producer said that if fans wanted Dante in Smash, they should ask for him on Switch first. Now we have DMC1 and 2 and soon 3 on Switch, with 3 getting special Switch-only features. Hideki Kamiya has also RTed the Smash direct post (again, this could mean nothing) and has joked with Sakurai in the past about a Viewtiful Joe Mii costume getting in. Kamiya is also currently RTing posts asking for Viewtiful Joe in Smash. Now, he's a bit of a troll, but that could mean something.

Right now, though, no one truly knows anything. So it's pretty damn exciting.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh and idk if it’s worth noting anymore but

that resetera dude was right, the New flag means nothing anymore. ITS STILL UP ON THE SMASH SITE EVEN POST ANNOUNCEMENT.
I've been saying that too.

Speaking of the site though, I have one thing that I can hype for with reckless abandon: WE FINALLY WON'T HAVE A LONG PERIOD OF TIME WHERE THE NEW CHARACTER SHOWS UP ON THE FIGHTER LIST BUT THEIR MAIN PAGE ISN'T VIEWABLE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
View attachment 257330

Indeed, he does have plenty of brown on him! He would likely use these brighter colors if put into Smash.

And remember, usually part of the character' clothes matches the background for the rest of the fighter's pass:

Joker - Red (goes with his gloves)
Hero - Purple (goes with his robe)
Banjo - Yellow (goes with his shorts)
Terry - Blue (goes with his jeans)

Dragonborn - Brown (goes with the leather on his armor)
Reposting this from the Geno thread, apparently the image of Sakurai posing has brown background crop artifacting on his arm, around where the character portrait would be in the actual presentation. Character background color seems to match an article of clothing.

Dragonborn, a heavily speculated character, has leather armor, which has a lot of brown, especially when in a more Smash-esque palette as seen in the figurine above.

Remember that Elder Scrolls Online is also having a Dragonborn costme added to the game less than half an hour after the presentation ends, along with a big announcement stream about the Skyrim chapter of ESO later in the day. So he has some Dante-esque evidence as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wouldn’t bank all this stuff surrounding Arle & dante

Last edited by a moderator:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Not sure how true it is, but YouTube stream supposedly has the following keywords:

[\"nintendo\",\"play\",\"play nintendo\",\"game\",\"gameplay\",\"fun\",\"video game\",\"kids\",\"action\",\"adventure\",\"rpg\"]

Probably means nothing, but it’s fun to speculate!

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Not sure how true it is, but YouTube stream supposedly has the following keywords:

[\"nintendo\",\"play\",\"play nintendo\",\"game\",\"gameplay\",\"fun\",\"video game\",\"kids\",\"action\",\"adventure\",\"rpg\"]

Ah, action adventure... the least broad genre in gaming lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

i don’t think the “kids” has any significance, but “action” “adventure” and “rpg” are perhaps the most noteworthy

I feel like it’ll be an action-RPG character

Elma intensifies

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
i don’t think the “kids” has any significance, but “action” “adventure” and “rpg” are perhaps the most noteworthy

I feel like it’ll be an action-RPG character

Elma intensifies
Can actually disregard, it was up for Terry’s showcase as well.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Reposting this from the Geno thread, apparently the image of Sakurai posing has brown background crop artifacting on his arm, around where the character portrait would be in the actual presentation. Character background color seems to match an article of clothing.

Dragonborn, a heavily speculated character, has leather armor, which has a lot of brown, especially when in a more Smash-esque palette as seen in the figurine above.
That may or may not mean anything, since we don’t know for sure if that picture of him posing is actually from the presentation or not. Maybe it is, but yeah.

Oh no, the Mr. Sakurai Presents is going to be taken down by COPPA for appealing too much to kids! /s

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
While I wouldn't say they're frontrunners per se, there's definite rumors swirling around the 16th for two characters, Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo) and Dante (Devil May Cry). Puyo Puyo Tsu, pretty much the biggest non-Tetris puzzle game out there, is coming to the eShop on the 16th which is a release that was accidentally leaked via early news update and then removed the day of the Pokemon Direct. combine that with the director of the series RTing the Direct and you have some circumstantial evidence. It's also worth noting that Arle was a solid Japanese request during the Sm4sh ballot and the producer of the series has compared Puyo Puyo Tsu and Puyo Puyo Champions to Melee and Ultimate, respectively. Add the fact that much like SNK's arcade games, Puyo Puyo Tetris was a surprising early Switch hit and Puyo Puyo Tsu was ported in its original state to SNES Switch Online and you have an interesting push for Puyo Puyo in the West.

For Dante, we've been told by their social media team to look out for info about DMC3 on the 16th. He's a huge name, and the series producer said that if fans wanted Dante in Smash, they should ask for him on Switch first. Now we have DMC1 and 2 and soon 3 on Switch, with 3 getting special Switch-only features. Hideki Kamiya has also RTed the Smash direct post (again, this could mean nothing) and has joked with Sakurai in the past about a Viewtiful Joe Mii costume getting in. Kamiya is also currently RTing posts asking for Viewtiful Joe in Smash. Now, he's a bit of a troll, but that could mean something.

Right now, though, no one truly knows anything. So it's pretty damn exciting.
Personally, I prefer being in the dark. And the two things surrounding Arle Nadja and Dante could be coincidences and the next character could be someone else.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Remember that Elder Scrolls Online is also having a Dragonborn costme added to the game less than half an hour after the presentation ends, along with a big announcement stream about the Skyrim chapter of ESO later in the day. So he has some Dante-esque evidence as well.
I think this is worth considering as well for sure. Skyrim is an international hit and was always something of a sleeper pick.

While Dragonborn isn't in my most-wanted or anything, I can't lie, I've been completely won over by CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica 's enthusiasm for the character. Would make a great pick.

Personally, I prefer being in the dark. And the two things surrounding Arle Nadja and Dante could be coincidences and the next character could be someone else.
i mean yeah dude same but you asked so uhhhhh

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
2 days before the reveal, how will #5 get leaked (and I'm talking a legit leak, not the "leak posts" which are just speculation)

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

I took a closer look and the background looks to be the exact same as the image above.

So it means nothing.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

"kids" "fun"

do they really wanna feel the wrath of COPPA that badly?

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
alright guys

it’s time...
Finally, the moment of truth is coming! It may not be in a Direct, and it's probably only one character... but at least we'll finally be able to move on to post-Pass DLC after this! The only downside is that, since it's not in a Direct, we're not gonna be blindsided by the trailer, like we were with Joker's.

As for who Fighter 5 could possibly be... well, it really could be anyone at this point, but I'm in a gambling mood today, so I think I'm just gonna lay down my poker cards right here for now...

D

Deleted member

I’m not putting stock into this as well

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sakurai's hand is not a hint for FP5. And even if it is... that sign is too vague. You can associate a lot of games and characters with the 3, so even if it's a hint it doesn't say anything.

As for Dante, I don't think it's him. Too obvious if you ask me. Also, the DMC news for 16th was for the DMC3 Switch version. Of course it could be Matt Walker trolling us and these news results to be Dante in Smash. It could happen? Yeah but even if things look good for Dante, that doesn't mean he's a lock.

I think FP5 will probably be a character not very popular or discussed among Smash fans. Saying this due to the nature of the announcement and the presentation.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I think Sakurai's hand is just a common gesture used in Japan. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not worth discussing really.

I do think FP5 may be someone more niche than people thought or a character people thought is impossible or unlikely to be picked, though. This pass has been full of characters people turned a blind eye on, mostly.

But this gives me some ideas how the presentation may go:
- Brief Trailer
- Sakurai opening up post trailer of the character.
- Discussing the series said character is in and its history, especially if it isn't as mainstream as people thought FP5 would be from.
- Their moveset, stage, and music
- Release date and Patch Notes
- Amiibo & Mii Costume releases(Possibly)
- MAYBE some info on Post-Pass even if we aren't shown a character. A big maybe.

At least that's how I think the Smash direct structure may go. I could be wrong, though.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Sakurai's hand is not a hint for FP5. And even if it is... that sign is too vague. You can associate a lot of games and characters with the 3, so even if it's a hint it doesn't say anything.
Um you do know probably most if not all of those were jokes right?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think Sakurai's hand is just a common gesture used in Japan. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not worth discussing really.

I do think FP5 may be someone more niche than people thought or a character people thought is impossible or unlikely to be picked, though. This pass has been full of characters people turned a blind eye on, mostly.

But this gives me some ideas how the presentation may go:
- Brief Trailer
- Sakurai opening up post trailer of the character.
- Discussing the series said character is in and its history, especially if it isn't as mainstream as people thought FP5 would be from.
- Their moveset, stage, and music
- Release date and Patch Notes
- Amiibo & Mii Costume releases(Possibly)
- MAYBE some info on Post-Pass even if we aren't shown a character. A big maybe.

At least that's how I think the Smash direct structure may go. I could be wrong, though.
>not as mainstream as ppl thought
>Robin & Lucina were revealed in an impromptu stream sans Direct
>Shulk was properly revealed in a JP only direct showing Xenoblade 3D, shadow dropped for everyone else

maybe it’s someone from a similar not as mainstream series...?

or someone FROM Xenoblade barring Rex? I don’t think we’ll even get FE Celica at this point, much less so 3H

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom