• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So what if the 3 question marks are a hint at the number of characters revealed or teased in the direct?

A long shot to be sure but that’s what the question marks immediately made me think of. If true, I imagine it would be FP5, and echo to go with FP5, and a teaser for a post pass character or something like that.

Which would also line up with Dante and Virgil if that rumor ends up being true. As much as I don’t want that to be the case personally.

Still have the slightest hope we could see farmer. I expect if we did there would be some info detailing the importance of the series, if that were the case. And the direct is fairly long...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Imagine if FP5 is Nintendo

and if Spring Man, Rex and Officer Howard didn’t make it, they’re probably not from 2017 afterward (with a possible exception of Octoling)

it’ll be someone from 2016 or earlier...
There really shouldn't be any reason why those characters wouldn't be considered though. One, we got Corrin less than a year after his game was released. Two, we already have content from 2017 in Smash thanks to Hero.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At first I thought you ment Nintendo itself as a character. Would like to see how that would work.
Nintendo's Final Smash is JoyCon Drift, which reverses the controls of all opponents while making them much easier to launch. :p

Droodle

Smash Lord
I still think we will get a dual reveal with Dante as character 6 revealed at the end.

To me, Dante as character 6 makes more sense then Dante as character 5.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I can't believe Sakurai is holding up an E for Echo which means that fighter 5 is getting a free echo. Arle and Ringo (or Amitie or The Dark Prince) anyone? And then Dante as the pass 2 opener. Three fingers for three characters revealed.

this isn't going to happen

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There really shouldn't be any reason why those characters wouldn't be considered though. One, we got Corrin less than a year after his game was released. Two, we already have content from 2017 in Smash thanks to Hero.
To be fair, DQXI was in development since before 2017, as was Persona 5. And they’re also third party so not the best metric to base that against

I can't believe Sakurai is holding up an E for Echo which means that fighter 5 is getting a free echo. Arle and Ringo (or Amitie or The Dark Prince) anyone? And then Dante as the pass 2 opener. Three fingers for three characters revealed.

this isn't going to happen
KOS-MOS with T-elos. Or Elma with Mecha-Fiora plssss

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Not gonna lie, I kinda wanted a general Nintendo Direct, but I'm also just relieved we'll finally be able to move on from this FP5 circus. I doubt it'll be a character that appeals to me, so all I'm hoping for is just any hint of what we can expect from post-Pass DLC. Doesn't even have to be a reveal, if Sakurai says something like "we'll continue to just add characters from other companies" or "after the Fighters Pass we'll do things a little differently" we'll at least have something to chew on. If we're left completely in the dark about what'll happen going forward I can imagine speculation getting pretty unbearable, as it's largely been between Terry's reveal and now.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The dream is Arle, Cinderace, Yuri Lowel, Phoenix Wright, or Sora.

Octolings would make me cry tears of happiness and never ask for anything ever again.

None of those things will happen, but it's fun to dream. Now I wait for bitter reality. :smileye:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if we'll see 2 characters. 35 minutes seems relatively short, considering the other presentation time and they have to show a trailer because we literally have nothing.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Wait a min, 3 “?” And Sakurai holding 3 fingers up???

you know what that means??? 3 CHARACTERS...and 3 associates with a certain character too. AUGUMON, GENO, and FE SWORD.
“Guess my theory of 3 characters at the next direct was proven correct” -unnamed theory user

Droodle

Smash Lord
I still think we will get a dual reveal with Dante as character 6 revealed at the end.

Also good to note that the presentation is very early in the morning in the West; it probably means nothing, but it could mean we get another eastern favored character as the primary reveal and then someone like Dante to appeal to an international audience as a finisher.

But on the other hand Sakurai tweeted about it in English, which I don't think he does (not sure). Overall it probably means nothing though and anyone is on the table.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Wait a min, 3 “?” And Sakurai holding 3 fingers up???

you know what that means??? 3 CHARACTERS...and 3 associates with a certain character too. AUGUMON, GENO, and FE SWORD.
“Guess my theory of 3 characters at the next direct was proven correct” -unnamed theory user
you're allowed to have fun with smash speculation, i promise. it's free and legal

kylexv

Smash Master
Nice news to wake up to. Although I won't be showing my parts around here until it happens. I'm not going to risk being spoiled when we're so close to the reveal.

Although FFVII Remake being delayed kinda sucks.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So what if the 3 question marks are a hint at the number of characters revealed or teased in the direct?

A long shot to be sure but that’s what the question marks immediately made me think of. If true, I imagine it would be FP5, and echo to go with FP5, and a teaser for a post pass character or something like that.

Which would also line up with Dante and Virgil if that rumor ends up being true. As much as I don’t want that to be the case personally.

Still have the slightest hope we could see farmer. I expect if we did there would be some info detailing the importance of the series, if that were the case. And the direct is fairly long...
Nah. ??? is a common placeholder name used when the player character doesn't know what the speaking character's name is.

Fun Fact: There once was a ??? type. Weather Ball is the only legit move that could be this type, and the type was the only type to have been retired.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Nah. ??? is a common placeholder name used when the player character doesn't know what the speaking character's name is.

Fun Fact: There once was a ??? type. Weather Ball is the only legit move that could be this type, and the type was the only type to have been retired.
To be clear I certainly don’t expect that. It was just an errant thought. Though I’m curious, has ??? Been used in the context of Smash before? Because I don’t remember it, if it has.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if we'll see 2 characters. 35 minutes seems relatively short, considering the other presentation time and they have to show a trailer because we literally have nothing.
Eh, it could go either way but I think 2 characters is decently likely.

Something like the DQ presentation took 20 minutes total, and the Banjo thing took around the same amount of time. The only exception is Terry, but that's because Sakurai went through the entire classic mode.

So my prediction for the presentation is:

0-3 minutes: Fighter 5 revelation trailer.
3-10 minutes: Fighter 5 introduction by Sakurai.
10-22 minutes: Fighter 5 gameplay.
22-25 minutes: Mii costumes, extra information
25-30: Revealing information on the future of DLC.
30-35: Character 6 reveal, and thank you for watching from Sakurai.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
While I really wanted a general direct for more info on Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, I'll definitely settle for this Smash broadcast in the meantime.

Can't wait to see FP5 be a character that was extremely obvious in hindsight.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Fighter 5 will be one of those secret boss characters that when you read up about them in those instruction manuals of old all their stats look like this:

Height: ???
Weight: ???
Dislikes: ???

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
The 3 is how much minutes will be spent actually talking about the fighter. The rest of the video is just Sakurai playing Classic Mode.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Fighter 5 will be one of those secret boss characters that when you read up about them in those instruction manuals of old all their stats look like this:

Height: ???
Weight: ???
Dislikes: ???
I've seen a character's weight being listed as "How dare you!".

The 3 is how much minutes will be spent actually talking about the fighter. The rest of the video is just Sakurai playing Classic Mode.
And the 5 is how many minutes will be devoted to the character's history before actually talking about the character's implementation into the game, but only after being multiplied by three.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To be fair, DQXI was in development since before 2017, as was Persona 5. And they’re also third party so not the best metric to base that against
And the leaks can make one think it was Erdrick that was planned initially before the other heroes got involved.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh neat Direct incoming. Would have preferred a general Direct because I wanna see what Nintendo has in store for this year, but a Smash reveal should be enough to tide me over. Anyway I'm calling it, Sabi says something about the character today and Vergeben says something different tomorrow.

Also stop reading things into the three fingers pose, Sakurai had a three-way last night he's just showing off

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Y’all it’s obviously a reference to Story of Seasons Trio of Towns.

Farmer incoming! Get hype!

/s

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
The three is just alluding to the fact that Sakurai only needs three more infinity stones before he snaps away half of the population of smash fans for all the whining over the years.

Krankees

Smash Ace

Could fighter number 5 be from the same company as number 6!? Please?

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Oh neat Direct incoming. Would have preferred a general Direct because I wanna see what Nintendo has in store for this year, but a Smash reveal should be enough to tide me over. Anyway I'm calling it, Sabi says something about the character today and Vergeben says something different tomorrow.

Also stop reading things into the three fingers pose, Sakurai had a three-way last night he's just showing off
If they'll say anything can we please not bring it up here untill atleast after the stream? We should't be paying attention to them when we are this close.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly, as much as I am kind of a little down about this whole thing for a few different reasons, I still would like to be surprised by whatever we end up getting, good or bad.

I'm gonna go ahead and log off in a bit here and just wait this out. Not being all that hyped for it will make it really easy, lol. See y'all Thursday morning. :p

Droodle

Smash Lord
Could fighter number 5 be from the same company as number 6!? Please?
Can't really say anything about that since we have 0 idea how post Pass will work. It may just end up being characters from companies that have 0 DLC yet, it may not. The first character will give us a lot of info on what type of DLC it will end up being.

Current frontrunners based on rumours are characters like Dante, Lloyd, Ryu; and none of those companies have gotten a character through DLC yet. But then again who really knows yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom