• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I can't help but feel if they just let development team work another year and release this in 2020 instead of 2019, all this would have been base game.
The same can be said of literally any game with DLC though. The Fighter's Pass could have been in the base game of Ultimate if they'd had another year, but we still live under capitalism where profits have to be made at some point to keep investors interested and keep development rolling. Yes, I agree Sword/Shield are far from the strongest entries in the series, but they happened and this is just blatantly one of the best ways to work on future Pokemon now that they exist and we have to live with that.

We can be cautiously optimistic about this game and it seems like taking cues from the Wild Area is a more adventurous take made more possible by being DLC since they seem to be interested in doing more with this DLC then we've typically seen in base game Pokemon titles.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I want to make two pokemon fan games.

One takes place in the mushroom kingdom and you catch and evolve mario enemies.

One takes place in Hyrule and you catch and evolve zelda enemies.

I want to name them:
Pokemon: Cease
And
Pokemon: Desist
I could imagine the scenario of Nintendo reacting to it.

Nintendo Copyright Hunter: "Dammit! This happens too often, we cut down one, another three pop up! They keep appearing these fangames!

Marketing Guy: "Maybe we should......Actually make these games, we know people like Capcom and Sega at least hire them instead of being lik-"

Copyright Hunter: "Enough! Send in the lawyers!"

Marketing Guy: "We already sent the cea-"

Copyright Hunter: "No I meant THE Lawyers! This is code red!"

Marketing Guy: *Gulps* "Very well....."

Two Days Later

*A young game creator is currently making Pokemon Cease and Desist.*

Fangame Creator: "Ha! As if a cease and desist will stop me! They'll never stop me cause I live on Mars!"

*Door is his room gets Smashed down, a group of uniformed men, all armed with Splattershots, Arm Cannons and Magic Tomes all burst in, surrounding him.*

Leader: "This is THE Nintendo Lawyers! Cease and Desist!"

Fangame Creator: "It-it-it's just a fangame bro! How di-di-did you find me bro!?"

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The same can be said of literally any game with DLC though. The Fighter's Pass could have been in the base game of Ultimate if they'd had another year, but we still live under capitalism where profits have to be made at some point to keep investors interested and keep development rolling.
I feel like that's apples and oranges. Regardless of the amount of content in the base game, Ultimate was already very, very polished at launch. SwSh could have used some more, but considering the specific areas that lack that polish, it's unlikely we'll get it. At the very least, this expansion might be good, especially if the returning mons are free. Who knows.

Now, to keep on track. We're basically waiting for a general Direct in the next two weeks or so, right? If so, the fact that no leaks were confirmed at all since Terry is kinda giving me pause - just what company is it that was able to keep everything (mostly) under wraps until now? I think that's the question I'm asking myself right now.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I still kinda wish we got a third version to fix base Galar. Specifically the lackluster story. Hopefully the expansions are good.
Now, to keep on track. We're basically waiting for a general Direct in the next two weeks or so, right? If so, the fact that no leaks were confirmed at all since Terry is kinda giving me pause - just what company is it that was able to keep everything (mostly) under wraps until now? I think that's the question I'm asking myself right now.
Good question. I honestly don't know.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Don't be mad because you got boofed into believing Baboom was going to be Fighter 5. You should believe in him anyways since Baboom win.

Baboom always win.
It isn't that though. I'm just not a fan of memes as a whole and they're annoying seeing them everywhere I go on the internet no matter where I go.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It isn't that though. I'm just not a fan of memes as a whole and they're annoying seeing them everywhere I go on the internet no matter where I go.
That's the entire concept of a meme in a nutshell - a joke, concept, idea, behaviour, reference, etc. that spreads quickly from person to person.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Imagine there's a Nintendo direct next week, it starts with the familiar white lines,
the screen goes black
proceeds to fade to a close up shot, right in your face...

Baboom booty

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's the entire concept of a meme in a nutshell - a joke, concept, idea, behaviour, reference, etc. that spreads quickly from person to person.
Free will is a myth, religion is a joke. We are all pawns controlled by something greater: Memes, the DNA of the soul. They shape our will. They are the culture. They are everything we pass on. Expose someone to anger long enough, they will learn to hate. They become a carrier. Envy, greed, despair; all memes, all passed along.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Free will is a myth, religion is a joke. We are all pawns controlled by something greater: Memes, the DNA of the soul. They shape our will. They are the culture. They are everything we pass on. Expose someone to anger long enough, they will learn to hate. They become a carrier. Envy, greed, despair; all memes, all passed along.
How about, “full of ****”? Is THAT a meme?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Unironically Bandai-Namco. Wouldn't be surprised if they decided to pull a Harada and spread lies about the DLC.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Ah **** everyone is getting a G-Max form so that doesn't look good for Toxtricity. And people are already looking at that new weird bear thing as a Smash fighter over literally every other Galarian Pokemon other than meme fossil. I really should get back to making the support thread active once I'm done getting back on track with school work.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Unironically Bandai-Namco. Wouldn't be surprised if they decided to pull a Harada and spread lies about the DLC.
I don't really think so. Bamco had their entire E3 lineup leaked just last year, title images and everything. And if I'm not mistaken, we had a lot of leaked stuff for Tekken 7 and Soulcalibur VI. I don't really see their security as tight as people claim it is.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
How about, “full of ****”? Is THAT a meme?
Bless you two.

Dutch Raikuna

This is completely out of the blue but if I wanted a 3rd party that was represented by just stage and music, I would pick Civilization.

I'm just listening to the soundtrack and just thought of it. Like a flying through a Civ map through the ages and you go into a city in ancient times and then in modern times, fighting through building of monuments and war and stuff.

Not in a thousand timelines it would happen but I just had a brain blast of it.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
wow baboom went deep in the second arc

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
All this meme talk... I think I finally understand who Fighter 5 is, truly.

We rippin' boys and girls.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ah **** everyone is getting a G-Max form so that doesn't look good for Toxtricity. And people are already looking at that new weird bear thing as a Smash fighter over literally every other Galarian Pokemon other than meme fossil. I really should get back to making the support thread active once I'm done getting back on track with school work.
Even though I don't think Toxtricity is as likely as people think it is, I wouldn't worry about G-max forms. Greninja got in Smash despite not having a Mega at the time. G-max forms don't translate to how likely a Pokemon is for Smash, and they don't add up to much besides a possible Final Smash.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
This was one of the main arguments for the Grinch leak being real, just so you know.

It played into the “Incineroar is leakbait!” theory.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ever since Marnie's death, things took a really dark turn. It's toned down in the anime but the manga pulls some gruesome ****.
Wait Marnie died?! I haven't caught up to the Anime/Manga yet so that's news to me! I guess I really should be more careful when avoiding spoilers..

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Something else regarding the security for each third party in Smash, because why the heck not: all third party companies in Smash so far had at least one character leaked.
Konami: :ultsimon: was one of the first characters that Vergeben leaked for Ultimate.
Sega: :ultsonic: was apparently leaked by two different people, going as far as to have the release date for his trailer listed.
Capcom: :ultryu:was found via datamine and :ultken: was also leaked by Vergeben
Namco: :ultpacman: was part of the Gematsu leaks.
Square: :ulthero: is arguably one of the worst kept secrets in the history of Smash and they were first hinted at by Vergeben all the way back in Ultimate's reveal.
Microsoft: :ultbanjokazooie: were leaked by Shinobi, but there were whispers about them through the internet some time beforehand.
SNK: :ult_terry:- though in all fairness it was NOE's fault for mismanaging the site.

All things considered, I do think it's likely that CP5 is from a company (or subdivision of a company) that hasn't had many leaks beforehand and is good at covering their tracks.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Something else regarding the security for each third party in Smash, because why the heck not: all third party companies in Smash so far had at least one character leaked.
Konami: :ultsimon: was one of the first characters that Vergeben leaked for Ultimate.
Sega: :ultsonic: was apparently leaked by two different people, going as far as to have the release date for his trailer listed.
Square: :ulthero: is arguably one of the worst kept secrets in the history of Smash and they were first hinted at by Vergeben all the way back in Ultimate's reveal.
Microsoft: :ultbanjokazooie: were leaked by Shinobi, but there were whispers about them through the internet some time beforehand.
SNK: :ult_terry:- though in all fairness it was NOE's fault for mismanaging the site.

All things considered, I do think it's likely that CP5 is from a company (or subdivision of a company) that hasn't had many leaks beforehand and is good at covering their tracks.
You’re forgetting Atlus.

Joker didn’t leak.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
This is completely out of the blue but if I wanted a 3rd party that was represented by just stage and music, I would pick Civilization.

I'm just listening to the soundtrack and just thought of it. Like a flying through a Civ map through the ages and you go into a city in ancient times and then in modern times, fighting through building of monuments and war and stuff.

Not in a thousand timelines it would happen but I just had a brain blast of it.
I'd love a Civ stage as well, unrepresented genre and great series! Any content related to Civ (especially Civ V) would be such a treat!

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Inti Creates perhaps? If the first page of google is of any indication, they don't seem to have a history of leaks.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Mega Man was also part of the Gematsu leak, and I'm pretty sure Cloud was leaked too by some guy on NeoGAF, although the leaks in question would only be discussed after they had been proven true. I'm pretty sure that from Smash 4 and onwards the list of characters that did leak is longer than the list of characters that didn't.

Dutch Raikuna

Since a few people have liked my reaction to a Civilization stage, this is what the two bits of music out of about 15 I would pick. Both would be slight remixes.

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"

and of course....

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So the takeaway is - Joker is the only third party that was 100% not leaked beforehand right

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Ever since Marnie's death, things took a really dark turn. It's toned down in the anime but the manga pulls some gruesome ****.
Marnie is dead. But don't worry, Game Freak has just announced Marnie 2

So you guys are telling me that Marnie was mutilated and now the girl avatar is wearing her corpse?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Oh, I see the update this month killed Amiibo Theory. Hopefully we still get a general direct with a reveal next week or so.
Not official, but it seems that way.

It's just as I had been saying. The amiibo theory was likely just a coincidence. Ever since Ultimate launched, they've been releasing amiibo waves every other month (with the exception of June, which I think they purposely skipped so they could release Smash amiibo and the Toy Link amiibo together). The DLC characters just so happened to fall on those months where they released a new wave.

The farthest they could've released a DLC character apart from two amiibo waves is one month, and I'm sure people would still have said that was enough for a pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom