• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Well, this post on Chinese social media is the best indicator I've found on the Switch's reception there so far. Google Translated version:

WeiboSwitch.png

Direct link here. With additional pictures - the guy apparently bought 3 or so Switches.

Couple notes:

* National Bank / Bank of China refers to the official Chinese Switch released soon-to-be-two weeks ago (It's also used to refer to the Chinese PS4 and Xbone). All of the games mentioned were imported - including the Smash copy that the kid's playing. The Chinese Switch can play imported games via the cartridge or downloading from an imported Switch (people have been importing Switches and games since 2017. Not a huge number, but still in the million range I'd guess). However, the online's region-locked to just the official games, as is DLC. AFAIK the Chinese PS4 and Xbone were completely region-locked (unless hacked into), meaning the Switch has a major advantage here.[1]

Also, Tencent's running ads pretty much everywhere in China - even in elevators!

ElevatorSwitch.jpg

* The Chinese Switch only has one official game so far - NSMBU - although MK8DX and Odyssey will release very soon there. (The government's approval process is really that dumb and onerous). The fact that the Chinese Switch can play imported games is likely the reason why it only launched with one official game: imported games can be easily found on the official online stores. Still, lot of Chinese core gamers have justifiably been angry at the fact that there's just one official game - just look at the Chinese eShop!

* However, even though the poster alluded to the above problem he also outlined some of the Switch's greatest strengths: Local Play and versatility. This is IMO not something to be underestimated. If games like Smash and Mario Kart grew via local play where we live, of course it could be a major factor in China too. Also, most people there are A) positive to the Switch, and B) willing to wait for more games to arrive officially. There are imported games in the meanwhile, after all.

My takeaway? The Switch might become more successful there than most people thought. More games will arrive there during 2020: the launch presentation showed 50 games[2] in the near-term pipeline for Chinese release. The analyst I've been following guessed that Smash would see its official release there around late 2020 / early 2021.[3] Probably in the middle of the Post-Pass window. And if the Switch actually does better there than expected? (Expected = 100K by December's end. The Chinese Switch sold over 50K on launch day. Remember, this is with one official game. For reference, Japan's first month resulted in 600K.)

Then, the chances for a Chinese favorite (a surprisingly broad list, from Steve via LoL to Reimu etc.) for Post-Pass incidentally increase. Even characters such as Phoenix Wright and Dante will likely see their prospects improve if this happens. Nintendo's sending the DLC suggestions to Sakurai, after all.

[1] I'm fully expecting the Chinese Switch to be hacked into in order to allow the global eShop and online at some point. I was expecting this to happen early, but at this point it looks like a couple months in.
[2] Link here.
[3] Given that Nintendo and Tencent show off the Smash renders on its "Welcome to the Switch!" site without even having officially announced Smash (interestingly the renders are without the FP characters as SneakyLink pointed out) I'm treating Smash's official release there as an almost certain thing.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To be honest am not all that into China by the way they treat Muslims in their country, and how they are colonizing Africa and the Carribbean countries with their mass loans these countries can never play back. Then there's the way they treat their workers, and I'm almost honestly surprised people are even allowed to play foreign game systems. I even believe Chinese youngsters aren't allowed to play more than 2 hours of videogames a day. So yeah there's that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be honest am not all that into China by the way they treat Muslims in their country, and how they are colonizing Africa and the Carribbean countries with their mass loans these countries can never play back. Then there's the way they treat their workers, and I'm almost honestly surprised people are even allowed to play foreign game systems. I even believe Chinese youngsters aren't allowed to play more than 2 hours of videogames a day. So yeah there's that.
Tencent caught on the imports and claimed joycon drift is caused by import copies

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Any updates? AT ALL???
If there ARE any updates, they'll be discussed here. Coming into this thread every day to ask/complain about the lack of updates is like a kid saying "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" - it's not going to make it happen any faster, no matter how many times you ask.

SKX31

Smash Master
I've been trying to avoid bringing up political stuff in this thread for a reason (we might not wanna dredge up American politics either). I'll just say though:

Hoo boy there's a whole laundry list of skeletons that the Chinese government has. Not denying that. Aside from the Uyghur (Muslim situation), there are the Tibet, Hong Kong (which has been bubbling since 2014) and Taiwan situations. As well as the absurd amount of official censorship there (built on Tencent's WeChat and QQ services - I've called it Orwellian at points for a reason). This extents to video games, where the approval process is ridicolous. You'd expect Mario Kart 8 DX and Odyssey to be approved before release* - but nope. Yes, I just linked to the approved foreign games list. They really go through every single bloody detail.

As for the youngsters thing - it's true. 90 minutes for those under 18, and three hours on holidays. The government and connected companies use face verification tools to try and accomplish this. It was implemented as an anti-addiction measure after a massive scandal involving Tencent. Think CERO but much more onerous. Naturally, a lot of Chinese youngsters seek to circumvent this. With one going so far as to try this: "Asking the lady working at the snack bar next to the school to impersonate your parents and convince customer service that their gaming doesn't need to be restricted. "

I should also note - the Winnie the Pooh meme was created by a Chinese user and originally spread there. The government banned it after it began to take on anti-Xi tones (of course). It's nigh-impossible to tell how many Chinese feel about political stuff due to the censorship and promotion of the party line. There are loads of government loyalists, yes: but also loads of people who are opposed to the censorship, people somewhere inbetween etc.

Still, I've been following how the Switch fares there since it might not just impact Smash: More people finding out and enjoying games (like Nintendo games) is only good if you ask me. No matter where they happen to live.

Tencent caught on the imports and claimed joycon drift is caused by import copies
Yup, that's a thing too. Tencent suggested the customer would try with NSMBU. Naturally, hardcore people there didn't like it.

If there ARE any updates, they'll be discussed here. Coming into this thread every day to ask/complain about the lack of updates is like a kid saying "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" - it's not going to make it happen any faster, no matter how many times you ask.
Aside from echoing what you just said, I'm also going to echo what Scoliosis Jones said:

"Just be patient, find some stuff (like, MAYBE some new games of characters in Smash you’ve never played if you can manage it) to do, and take up some time. It’ll be here before you know it."

*(Edit: Goofed here originally- those two games are going to be in the next batch of approved games most likely. Still, my overall point stands.)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We all don't know who FP5 is but to spice things up who and what do you think he/she is?

Me I'm still on the KOS-MOS or Master Chief train until otherwise.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Any updates? AT ALL???

Someone should make a Smash version of this then

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
On the whole, there's not gonna BE any news you can't just find yourself on the official twitters, so there's not much point asking, especially when you can just read the room and see what the conversation is

a little life hack for you though:

check how often the page count goes up between your stints on this thread, and by how many pages
if there's some sort of massive leap from that, let's say at least 15 or more pages
something leak based happened <or just forum issues =v >

otherwise just people being people

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think it’s Goku :smirk:
Here is how Goku can still win :ultpacman:

- Games published by Bandai Namco and everyone is expecting a rep from that company.
- Sakurai said Goku and Iron man won't be in Smash Bros but we'll just ignore that.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Do you guys think were only getting FP5 revealed in January or do you think we might get an double reveal?

Also just to spice things up.

January: FP5, maybe post-Pass DLC fighter 1

I definitely do expect we'll get one of the post-Pass DLC fighters whether 1 or 2 announced at E3 other then that though those are my predictions. It all depends how many more were getting.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Well I sure missed a lot but I'm back with a question:

Pretend Joker never happened (:()

If we were to get a Sony (or Sony-ish, like Persona) rep, who would it be?

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

If we were to get a Sony rep, who would it be?
Joker isn't really a Sony rep. But to answer your question, my answer is Kratos. I think Kratos has the best shot out of all Sony owned characters.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII.

Shame it won't happen because how stingy Square Enix is.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I'd say Crash is the character most associated with Sony who isn't already in and doesn't involve having to deal with Sony directly.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Ok guys here me out I have a new theory and I think its real.

I've been watching Zombieland Saga and I saw this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 1.17.39 AM.png

If you look closely you can see the Cygames logo in the background see look:

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 1.17.49 AM.png

Well it turns out that Cygames is actually one of the companies behind Zombieland Saga!!!1!!

A second season of Zombieland Saga has recently been announced due to the popularity of the series.

As we all know, Nintendo owns 5% stock in Cygames, making the two companies very close.

So, I've been thinking:
Sakura.png

And before y'all come at me with "but she's not a video game character!!1!!" I believe the close relationship between Nintendo and Cygames can create an exception here. Nintendo has reason to want Cygames to succeed, and adding a ZLS character to Smash to promote the anime would be a highly effective way of doing so.

As you can see this theory is clearly backed by facts and logictm so it must be correct and anyone who disagrees is biased and nitpicking okay bye bye.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
1. Reverse gravity of a character
2. KO them from upper blast zone
3. ?
4. ???
5. Profit
1. Reverse gravity of a character
2. KO them from upper blast zone
3. Do this online to get into Elite Smash
4. ???
5. Profit

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

View attachment 254067

View attachment 254069

Well it turns out that Cygames is actually one of the companies behind Zombieland Saga!!!1!!

A second season of Zombieland Saga has recently been announced due to the popularity of the series.

As we all know, Nintendo owns 5% stock in Cygames, making the two companies very close.

So, I've been thinking:

And before y'all come at me with "but she's not a video game character!!1!!" I believe the close relationship between Nintendo and Cygames can create an exception here. Nintendo has reason to want Cygames to succeed, and adding a ZLS character to Smash to promote the anime would be a highly effective way of doing so.

As you can see this theory is clearly backed by facts and logictm so it must be correct and anyone who disagrees is biased and nitpicking okay bye bye.
Can't wait for the Truck-kun final smash

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I think I know how that feels when someone always asks "are we there yet?" situation, I guess I learnt this from Captain America:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

View attachment 254067

View attachment 254069

So, I've been thinking:

I was going to type a large-ass paragraph on why this was incorrect and probably won’t happened, but then the last sentence, made me realized that you are probably joking

But if this causes a chance that Lily make a appearance, thus, our first trans character in Smash...

That will be all worth it for the saltstorm alone

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Damn we really are in a drought huh?

I can't help but feel there was going to be more substantial announcements at TGA but everyone pulled out at the last minute, especially considering that Valve pulled out from showing Half-Life there.

I mean I still find it strange SEGA and Bandai Namco opted to show both a random civilization game and a Fast and Furious game respectively over games like Yakuza 7 or Sakura Wars and Tales of Arise or Elden Ring respectively there despite them probably being more fitting for the show (Hell SEGA could've even plugged P5R there even though we've gotten plenty of coverage for that game)

KillerCage

Smash Master

If we actually get a Sony character (who is OWNED by them,) I think it would be Ratchet & Clank.
Who I actually WANT if we get a Sony Character:
Good morning...

What's up?
Nothing.
We're all dead here.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

View attachment 254067

View attachment 254069

So, I've been thinking:

There is a manga called The Morose Mononokean that Square Enix Published also. Video Game companys seem to work anime alot. In fact, wow Square Enix published a lot of familiar manga

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom