• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Veterans of Smash 4 speculation, please tell me your war stories. I am interested in hearing about them,
I mostly kept to the Mewtwo thread in those days but I still remember how hard Gematsu sucked the life out of speculation from late spring to early summer. I joined during peak Gematsu time and one of the only places still hopeful was the Mewtwo thread since gematsu only focused on newcomers though Greninja still kept us pretty dry. After Robin and Lucina we caught a little bit of a break for a month but ESRB led to a level of insanity that I still don't think has been matched since on this site (though the grinch might have something to say about that). "It's just a photoshopped little mac!" and all that lot. Much prefer this to those days.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think it's weird that we consider Persona 5 and Joker "niche".

Not only did that game do really well, it also got a lot of GotY nominations and a few wins, a ton of 9 or 10/10 reviews, it was talked about all that year, and it had that weird Twitch controversy with Atlus to rocket it into the general spotlight. Like, Persona 5 might not be the biggest RPG in the world but saying it's niche is just saying it's not as big as Final Fantasy, which, no JRPG is.
I... don't understand why people take this much issue with characters being called "niche". There's a difference between saying Joker in Smash is a niche pick (appealing to a specific subset of people, meaning it's not outright mainstream) and saying that he's obscure (hard to recognize). The latter is flat out wrong, but the former... not really. In fact, all four Pass characters appeal to small parts of the fanbase (though different parts) rather than a huge mass appeal (somehing I like quite a lot, really). Closest we got to a more mainstream pick was Hero.

And while I have seen a lot of people misuse the word to basically say "yOuR piCk is TraSh"... I dunno, the two characters I like the most in the Pass so far are also the most niche ones. Nothing wrong with that.

There is a point where we needed to stop and we have clearly passed it.

BUT LET'S KEEP GOING AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS
I think the different parts of this meme perfectly illustrate our reaction through every new development with the disconfirmation lists (using link because images are broken):

We're at the last one now.

Barrubo

Smash Apprentice
What does niche mean exactly? Sorry if I'm a noob in this but this is the first time I heard the term

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Imagine we get Faust instead of Sol. I would be okay with that even if it's only to see Faust doing this to every Smash character

After seeing this I believe that there's no one who wouldn't want THIS in Smash
Faust gonna be Hero 2.0 with his RNG.

Droodle

Smash Lord
If Sabi is correct that means FP5 is from one of these:
  • Capcom
  • Bandai Namco
  • Sega
  • Konami
  • Ubisoft
  • Arc Sys
  • Spike Chunsoft
  • Marvelous
  • Epic Games
  • ZUN
  • Bethesda
  • Koei Tecmo
  • Activision
  • Blizzard
  • Microsoft
  • Square
  • Nintendo
That... doesn't really narrow it down much.
I'll try narrowing it down from most likely to least likely of each company (Just for fun). Going to be using Sabi's leaks for this, so you may not see some frontrunners.

- Capcom: (Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Morrigan)
- Bandai Namco: (KOS-MOS, Chosen Undead, Heihachi, Nightmare)
- Sega: (Kiryu, Arle, Sakura)
- Konami: (Contra)
- Ubisoft: (Ezio, Rabbids)
- Arc Sys: (Sol Badguy, Ragna the Bloodedge)
-Spike Chunsoft: (Monokuma)
- Marvelous: (Travis Touchdown)
-Epic Games: (Jonesy, Infinity Blade)
-ZUN: (Reimu)
-Activision: Spyro, Destiny?
-Blizzard: Kerrigan, Thrall, Diablo
- Microsoft: Master Chief, Ori
- Square: 2B, Neku, More FF, Crono, Randy, Lara Croft
- Nintendo: I think this is incredibly unlikely.
- Bethesda: (Dragonborn)

Half of these can pretty much be ignored at this point. I'm still leaning towards KOS-MOS due to Verge backtracking hard on her, but mostly because of Jon's words.

That said, at this rate we're not going to get anywhere until the Game Awards.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that if KOS-MOS if FP5, then they would instead reveal her in a January Direct.

D

Deleted member

unfortunately kasumi and baboom have been shot to death during a botched robbery in washington dc

fighter's pass 5 has been cancelled.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Here's how planning for TGA 2019 went down in the minds of some:

Geoff: "Hey Nintendo, last years Joker reveal was a huge success. Would you like to reveal your final character at TGA again?"
Nintendo: "Certainly, the character is *whisper* *whisper* and we have the reveal video idea in mind"
Geoff: "Literally who?! If you don't have Master Chief or a side character from a spin-off SNES game then you aren't welcome here"

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
Just going to say that it’s rather interesting how both Kasumi and KOS-MOS are female JRPG characters whose names begin with K and are presumably made of matter.

D

Deleted member

Was the verge list sabi was talking about the one with all the company’s?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I wouldn't say Joker and Terry are "niche", but I do think we need to be more realistic when we gauge how well-known they really are. The people who pay attention to stuff like the VGAs are the people who probably already knew who Joker and Terry were beforehand. Yes, Joker and Terry will be a lot more iconic now that they're in Smash, but Piranha Plant is the only character who would've been recognized on a large scale. A lot of people might've heard of Dragon Quest, but probably wouldn't have recognized any of the four Hero characters.

I feel like this discussion happens with every character. People get offended when anyone suggests that a character might not be recognized by as many people as they think. Not being well-known isn't necessarily a bad thing though, and I'd actually argue it's something worth bragging about. Terry got in Smash despite not being as well-known as someone like Pac-Man or Sonic.

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I'll try narrowing it down from most likely to least likely of each company (Just for fun). Going to be using Sabi's leaks for this, so you may not see some frontrunners.

- Marvelous: (Travis Touchdown)
Travis Touchdown / No More Heroes is Grasshopper Manufacture, not Marvelous.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
At this point the only leaker who has my buck is VR plant, and to my knowledge they haven’t said anything regarding smash.

I’m tired of being told who it isn’t rather than who it is.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
What are your all thoughts of Reimu in terms of knowing who she is?
She, or at least her franchise actually was kinda popular back in the early 2010’s. Occasionally you’d bump into music videos featuring anime girls and Touhou videos were quite common. It’s where memes like Marisa Stole the Precious Thing, or Ran Ran Ruu originated from.

Touhou still has its fair share of popular memes here and there, but it’s definitely not as popular as it was back then.
This meme right here is probably the most recent, popular Touhou meme out there:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hm...

Has anyone tried asking Geoff about his thoughts on fighter #5?

I'm sure he would know better than anyone who it could possibly be.
**** if I know, I asked Nintendo who they were revealing and they said Fighter 5 doesn't exist yet. So basically they gave me carte blanche and I get to announce whatever character I want.

So the most wanted for the person below this is the character I'm announcing Thursday. Please watch my show!

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
**** if I know, I asked Nintendo who they were revealing and they said Fighter 5 doesn't exist yet. So basically they gave me carte blanche and I get to announce whatever character I want.

So the most wanted for the person below this is the character I'm announcing Thursday. Please watch my show!
We can salvage a spot for Rex yet!

Edit: Dammit, foiled again...

Alexa, play Drifting Soul.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

From the wording of Sabi's tweet it sounds like they're referring to the old list that Verg came out with before correcting himself. At least that's the way I'm interpreting it, might be misunderstanding it.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Marvelous published both Travis Strikes Again and No More Heroes 3. Grasshopper Manufacture is the developer.
Yeah...that's what I mean. It's owned by Grasshopper fully.

From the wording of Sabi's tweet it sounds like they're referring to the old list that Verg came out with before correcting himself.
Juicy info amirightguys

Barrubo

Smash Apprentice
If Touhou is as popular now as back then. Everyone wouldn't be saying how Touhou isnt well known.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well you guys, it looks like I'm gonna be announcing that Fighter #5 is Travis Touchdown, from the No More Heroes franchise! You heard it here first!

Now here's hoping Sakurai actually ends up making him, otherwise I'm gonna look like a tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom