• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Tbh all routes have their issues, but at the same time all three house leaders are imo some of the most interesting characters in the series. Let’s not get all riled up about which house is better. I for one, would be happy if any of them got in over Byleth, that’s for sure. :p

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I see a lot of people saying this, but a starter isn't really all that inevitable. Out of 10 fighters, only the past two Pokemon reps have been starters who got in through their own merit. The only reason Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are a thing is because PT represents the player character we control in every game, and switching between Pokemon is a crucial part of those games.

Doesn't seem any different from Smash 4 when people were complaining about Chrom because they considered him to be a lock. Every character prior to Robin and Lucina was the main lord of their game.
I say inevitable in this case because what are the options for this game? None of the Pokemon have had a huge marketing presence, like Zoroark or Lucario for example, there's no legendaries other than the box ones (which are spirits already) and Eternatus, who obviously wouldn't quite work as a smash fighter.

That basically leaves us with the starters, as they're pretty much the only notable Pokemon this gen (marketing-wise, of course).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I came to this thread expecting news from either Verge or some leaks. I didn't know that it was for a game that I was sort of neglecting due to me playing more Smash. But it does mean that I will finish it inevitably.

cries in Xeno2

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I see a lot of people saying this, but a starter isn't really all that inevitable. Out of 10 fighters, only the past two Pokemon reps have been starters who got in through their own merit. The only reason Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are a thing is because PT represents the player character we control in every game, and switching between Pokemon is a crucial part of those games.

Doesn't seem any different from Smash 4 when people were complaining about Chrom because they considered him to be a lock. Every character prior to Robin and Lucina was the main lord of their game.
It kinda feels like you just wish people would talk about Zacian. You have to understand why people wouldn't, not just because of the spirit, but also because of certain biases people have regarding Pokemon that get in the way of speculating about it, plus how box legends tend to be anything but playable fighters.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I say inevitable in this case because what are the options for this game? None of the Pokemon have had a huge marketing presence, like Zoroark or Lucario for example, there's no legendaries other than the box ones (which are spirits already) and Eternatus, who obviously wouldn't quite work as a smash fighter.

That basically leaves us with the starters, as they're pretty much the only notable Pokemon this gen (marketing-wise, of course).
The starters are hella ugly in gen 8.

KatKit

Smash Lord
As far as 3 Houses goes, I think this joke has a bit of truth to it.

Not listed is Byleth, who's the same price as Claude, and Rhea, who's the same as Edelgard.

With that being said... ANNA IS PRICELESS and I need her in Smash with a quickness. Don't make me hype her up for the bajillionth time. D:

Also... we've still gone 0 days without discussing Fire Emblem, ahaha. In all honesty, I'm down for any rep and I see it happening eventually.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Does anyone have a list of all the characters that are still considered potentially "in the running"?

I want to make a bold prediction that will most certainly never happen, but I need a list of "in the running" characters so I can provide some potential examples of what I'm predicting.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It kinda feels like you just wish people would talk about Zacian. You have to understand why people wouldn't, not just because of the spirit, but also because of certain biases people have regarding Pokemon that get in the way of speculating about it, plus how box legends tend to be anything but playable fighters.
There's plenty of options aside from the starters and Legendaries.

862.png
865.png
861.png
858.png
849.png
887.png

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I mean Incineroar ain't a looker either but that didn't stop him
No, his design is actually fantastic. The starters in gen 8 are pretty awful in their execution. They make a slick spy look like a pansy. The soccer bunny has really stupid proportions. The music monkey is straight up boring.

D

Deleted member

Anyways, all of this FP 5 speculation motivated me to update my signature.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone have a list of all the characters that are still considered potentially "in the running"?

I want to make a bold prediction that will most certainly never happen, but I need a list of "in the running" characters so I can provide some potential examples of what I'm predicting.
Phoenix
2B
Sora
Reimu

That honestly all. I could be missing a lot, but it is due to me trying my best to be unspoiled.

BlackInk

Smash Lord

Capcom, Beseth, and indie companies.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
As far as 3 Houses goes, I think this joke has a bit of truth to it.

Not listed is Byleth, who's the same price as Claude, and Rhea, who's the same as Edelgard.

With that being said... ANNA IS PRICELESS and I need her in Smash with a quickness. Don't make me hype her up for the bajillionth time. D:

Also... we've still gone 0 days without discussing Fire Emblem, ahaha. In all honesty, I'm down for any rep and I see it happening eventually.
That picture aged extremely poorly and it makes me laugh so hard. Dimitri merch in Japan is usually the first to sell out, with Claude as a close second. Eddie USUALLY is the one that takes the longest to sell out.

If they made 3H amiibo, Dim would sell out in minutes. How the tables have turned, geez.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Technically there are 3 protagonists, but 2B is arguably the main one.
9S is unarguably the main character of Nier Automata by almost every metric: amount of playtime, screentime, dialogue, character development, most of the key plot reveals happening in his routes, etc. The only thing 2B has in comparison is being the first character you control.

We all know the real reason why 2B is pushed everywhere instead of him.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
The starters are hella ugly in gen 8.
I don't mind Rillaboom, it's alright. Cinderace looks boring and uninspired, and Inteleon just looks bad. I already couldn't stand Sobble's noodle limbs, and Inteleon makes it 100x worse.

To be honest, gen 8's starters are just my least favorite in the whole series, first stages included. They all range from boring at best, to bad at worst. But that's just my opinion of course.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Eh. If you're going Gen 8, just give us Eternatus and call it a day.

If we had to get a generic Gen 8 Pokemon though, I'd say give it to Hatterene, though that's just stepping on Gardevoir's nonexistent toes.

Instead Sakurai takes all these classic Nintendo franchises into a crossover game, but for some reason decides to focus on some random OCs he created for this game.
Sora is just bootleg Kevin Keene. >_>

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Well the list as far as I know is

Non-Resi Capcom Rep: Phoenix Wright, Ametaseru, Morrigan ect.
Dragonborn
Steve Minecraft
Katalina Granblu
Nintendo Character: 3 Houses?
Touhou Rep
Sora (If he doesn't count as another Square)
Hollow Knight?
Cooking Mama?
Nobody said no to Fortnite did they?

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That picture aged extremely poorly and it makes me laugh so hard. Dimitri merch in Japan is usually the first to sell out, with Claude as a close second. Eddie USUALLY is the one that takes the longest to sell out.

If they made 3H amiibo, Dim would sell out in minutes. How the tables have turned, geez.
Eddie for some reason is really unpopular in the East. They love them some Dimitri though.

It'd probably be an inverse effect. You'd see Edelgard merch out of stock here in America but in abundance over in Japan, and vice versa with Dimitri. I imagine Claude and Byleth would be pretty consistently popular.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Incineroar is great with children, after all.

Here's who is still in the running:
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Morrigan
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Ameterasu (Basically any Capcom rep not from Street Fighter, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, or Resident Evil)
  • Sakura Shinguji
  • Reimu
  • Sora
  • Sol Badguy
  • Byleth or any of the other FE3H lords
  • Astral Chain MC
  • Steve
  • Dragonborn
  • Katalina
  • Others (Wild Card)

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Hey, don't do my boy Incineroar like that.
These are all cool Pokemon, sure. But they haven't really had any significant marketing to make me think they would get in instead of a starter. Heck, more than half of those weren't even officially revealed before release.

D

Deleted member

Eddie for some reason is really unpopular in the East. They love them some Dimitri though.

It'd probably be an inverse effect. You'd see Edelgard merch out of stock here in America but in abundance over in Japan, and vice versa with Dimitri. I imagine Claude and Byleth would be pretty consistently popular.
I saw some people say it was probably due to the East's history with imperialism but that's not nearly something I'm educated enough on to say whether it's true or not

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

It’s interesting, because while this is a smaller sample size, I see her taking the longest to sell out in fan merch stores too. I also remember going to a decently sized con. Tons of Dimitri cosplayers. Quite a few claudes. Some Edelgard’s but the BL and GD groups were pretty big compared to BE, and this was all in ‘Murica.

I think it’s not only due to her controversial nature, but also just the fact that people in the FE Fanbase want more merch and just more focus on the male characters. Most of the fe merch is of the girls only so Edel getting a head start marketing wise was probably the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
@mods can you just yeet all these people spoiling Three Houses? It's clear to me we've got a lot of assholes here with no regard for others, and it's off-topic anyway.

I don't care for the clown shoes, but that's just cosmetic and not the main problem.

Let's imagine an alternate reality where Sakurai didn't make Smash bros. Instead Sakurai takes all these classic Nintendo franchises into a crossover game, but for some reason decides to focus on some random OCs he created for this game. Then he gives the most mindbogglingly convoluted and melodramatic story possible.

That's how I feel about Kingdom Hearts, I love Disney stuff and it feels like the awesome concept for the series got hijacked by fanficion levels of writing and characters I don't care about. Also I've never really been a fan of Shonen protagonist-like characters. The speculation thread is probably not the best place to voice my distaste with a character since it has little to do with the actual chances of a character, but I had to get it off my chest.
Ngl that would be right up my alley.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Which is kinda odd as JRPGs (Traditional or strategy) usually have an utter contempt for organised religion and she's the one taking the active steps against the setting's one. It'd be harder to list the ones that don't have God as the final boss in one way or another.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Which is kinda odd as JRPGs (Traditional or strategy) usually have an utter contempt for organised religion and she's the one taking the active steps against the setting's one. It'd be harder to list the ones that don't have God as the final boss in one way or another.
Fighting God is overrated and boring.

Now fighting your friends? That never goes out of style.
Dead Friends Club.jpg

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Yeah I'm still don't particular care for Incenaroar's design, but I do love how much personality he shows off, so it all balances out in my opinion.

Either way, what I was mainly getting at is that what one person considers ugly has no bearing on a characters chances
Yes it does. I flew to Japan just to tell Sakurai that I thought Sans was ugly, so he said he would make him a mii costume instead of a fighter.

:4pacman:

D

Deleted member

>Viewtiful Joe
View attachment 249544
I knew there was another Joe supporter out there
I could go into my history with the series, and it's basically similar to Dragon Quest. Brother introduced me to it, I played only one game and it was the party-fighting game, but it somehow still sticks with me.

You people thought the wait for Kingdom Hearts 3 was long? Well let me tell you something

At least y'all got spinoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom