• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I always wanted Phantom R from Rhythm Thief for a Sega rep, but that franchise has been long dead. That and Joker took his role as that charming thief donned in red and black based on a French fictional character.

RcS735

Smash Cadet
Welp my mind is pretty sure its Lloyd, while my heart is saying something obscure and random.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Look at the bright side, there's only two more weeks left until we know FP5 at the game awards. Until then everyone should have tea and relax.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 248416

This is the only update we've received on the matter since Sabi's initial tweet.
It's more difficult to figure out if a Bandai-Namco rep is deconfirmed or not, considering how they are notable for being anti-leak. Likely explains why the Bandai-Namco characters we talked about are still in the running. If a character is that tightly-wrapped, then I think we're getting a Bandai-Namco rep next.

D

Deleted member

Is Sabi still Checking?
Obviously. Still hasn't popped in the notifications on my phone.

Welp my mind is pretty sure its Lloyd, while my heart is saying something obscure and random.
I'm just waiting for the final call. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's more difficult to figure out if a Bandai-Namco rep is deconfirmed or not, considering how they are notable for being anti-leak. Likely explains why the Bandai-Namco characters we talked about are still in the running. If a character is that tightly-wrapped, then I think we're getting a Bandai-Namco rep next.
Bamco's leak ninjas are sooo damn tight. If Bamco is straight up deconfirmed it'll be the easiest money of my life.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nintendo: Oh what's this? You leaked some of our stuff? Welp, you're fired! Oh you're not working here? C&D time lmao
Bandai Namco: has assassins watching leakers' every move Don't. ****. With Us.

KillerCage

Smash Master
View attachment 248416

This is the only update we've received on the matter since Sabi's initial tweet.
I would take Lloyd over Heihachi any day of the week.

By the way, Master Chief could be associated with orange due to the "Halo 2" boxart.
Sakurai was interested in Halo 2 along side Half-Life 2 back when they were coming out.

Halo2Boxart.JPG

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wouldn

By the way, Master Chief could be associated with orange due to the "Halo 2" boxart.
Sakurai was interested in Halo 2 along side Half-Life 2 back when they were coming out.

View attachment 248419
except I'm p sure Master Chief was deconfirmed, at least for this pass

also, we technically already have a Microsoft rep (:ultbanjokazooie:) so it's unlikely we'll see two reps from the same company in one pass

KillerCage

Smash Master
except I'm p sure Master Chief was deconfirmed, at least for this pass

also, we technically already have a Microsoft rep (:ultbanjokazooie:) so it's unlikely we'll see two reps from the same company in one pass
I realize that. I remember the Halo tweet that "deconfirmed" him.
Then again, fan patterns are made to be broken.
Only time will tell.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Wouldn

Honestly, Id say even his mask is orange enough. So basically it seems like every background color for that character is derived of some color off that character.
Banjo- Pants
Joker-Gloves
Terry-Pants
Piranha Plant-Leaves
Hero- Costume

This seems to be true for even the base character roster.
The only character ive seen that is exempt from this rule seems to be Corrin and Cloud. But the background for Cloud seems to be more in tune with the ff7 logo in general. With Corrin Im surprised they didn't use a different shade of blue at least.

KillerCage

Smash Master
A thought has crossed my mind: every character in the Fighters' Pass is from a developer not previously in Smash.
Joker is from Altus.
Hero is from the Enix portion of Square-Enix.
Banjo & Kazooie are from Rare/Microsoft.
Terry is from SNK.
If this pattern holds, then we won't be getting a character from either Capcom or the Namco portion of Namco-Bandai.
Then again, fan patterns are meant to be broken.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
When it comes to future Sega reps, which series seem the most likely to get added in, Phantasy Star, Yakuza, SMT, etc and why? I’m interested too see who u guys choose as the next Sega rep.
I'd love for SMT to get it's own representation but I fear in the minds of most people Persona is the same thing (it's not, incidentally; there's literally only two things from SMT in the Persona 5 pack and they're the names of Joker's counter moves) and neither Atlus, Sega nor Sakurai care enough to tell people otherwise.

Mind with SMTV coming in the future, delaying proper SMT representation to tie into a brand spanking new release that's been anticipated since the Switch's reveal and having it tie in the series's 25~ year long history in one tight little Smash package would be fantastic. A Hero type character where the palettes are different protagonists (SMT1, SMT2, SMTIV and the upcoming SMTV guy) sharing a sword, gun and demon-summoning moveset would be great. Something like being able to pick out 2~3 demons to aid you similar to Arsene/Luma/Nana, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
I'd love for SMT to get it's own representation but I fear in the minds of most people Persona is the same thing (it's not, incidentally; there's literally only two things from SMT in the Persona 5 pack and they're the names of Joker's counter moves) and neither Atlus, Sega nor Sakurai care enough to tell people otherwise.

Mind with SMTV coming in the future, delaying proper SMT representation to tie into a brand spanking new release that's been anticipated since the Switch's reveal and having it tie in the series's 25~ year long history in one tight little Smash package would be fantastic. A Hero type character where the palettes are different protagonists (SMT1, SMT2, SMTIV and the upcoming SMTV guy) sharing a sword, gun and demon-summoning moveset would be great. Something like being able to pick out 2~3 demons to aid you similar to Arsene/Luma/Nana, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.
That would make the most sense and please a lot of people, but I would be in the corner muttering Demi-Fiend’s name over and over sadly saying that he was robbed lol

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Kiryu is in my "Top 5 characters I didn't knew before playing Project X Zone 2 but now I like" (the others are Kite, Fiora, Vashyron and Sakura), so I'd be ok with him.

Droodle

Smash Lord
A thought has crossed my mind: every character in the Fighters' Pass is from a developer not previously in Smash.
Joker is from Altus.
Hero is from the Enix portion of Square-Enix.
Banjo & Kazooie are from Rare/Microsoft.
Terry is from SNK.
If this pattern holds, then we won't be getting a character from either Capcom or the Namco portion of Namco-Bandai.
Then again, fan patterns are meant to be broken.
I never got this kind of logic, and it annoys me.
Banjo is from Rare, which was already present in Smash Ultimate through K. Rool. They are a subsidiary of Microsoft now, but that doesn't change the fact that Rare made both characters.
Hero is from the Enix portion of Square-Enix, yes. But the Square merger happened almost 15 years ago, and by the time Cloud was in Smash they were still known as Square-Enix. You don't see Square and Enix on the copyrights, you see Square-Enix.
Joker is from Atlus, who are a subsidiary of Sega now. The character of "Joker" was created while they were a part of Sega. Sega owns the rights to Persona now.
Terry is new.

So you could argue the only new company that has gotten in Smash is SNK, which is way less of a leap of faith then saying that WELL if we look at this from a certain perspective and push the boundaries a little, only new companies have gotten in Smash.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
That would make the most sense and please a lot of people, but I would be in the corner muttering Demi-Fiend’s name over and over sadly saying that he was robbed lol
Demi-fiend has a lot of unique potential too (switches between magatama + demons to change his elemental affinities and attacks), and the idea of him Ganondorf-strutting up to someone before just punching them really hard is a satisfying one.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
View attachment 248416

So now the song that sums things up is Staying Alive.
The Title for Lloyd and for specualtion as a whole "I'm going nowhere. Somebody help me!"

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
When it comes to future Sega reps, which series seem the most likely to get added in, Phantasy Star, Yakuza, SMT, etc and why? I’m interested too see who u guys choose as the next Sega rep.
Yakuza and Puyo Puyo are the only two I see (somewhat) commonly discussed... Well outside of flooding the roster with Sonic characters.
There's some mention of Sakura Wars (thankfully), but not much else. Which is bonkers, because SEGA has a treasure-trove of IPs to tap.

My pick is Phantasy Star Online. Specifically Elenor Camuel, though Rupika and Rico also work.
If we had to hit up PSO2, Matoi is probably the best choice (though I'd prefer Lisa).

Just not Ash... Never Ash.

Beyond that, Sakura Wars is the franchise I'd next most like to see, but the character I'd select as my next-most-wanted is Segata ****ing Sanshiro.

Classic Phantasy Star, PSU/P, Panzer Dragoon, Space Channel 5, Jet Grind Radio, Kid Chameleon, House of the Dead, Nights, Shining, Comix Zone... There's so much good there.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
In light of the FP #5 exodus from the past couple of days, who do you guys think is the most likely character now before any more deconfirmations happen? I'm betting on Lloyd or Chosen Undead atm.
I think Reimu probably or at the very least a character no one has been discussing about.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Opa Opa from Fantasy Zone would destroy me... I just recently played FZ for the first time on a Genesis Mini and I absolutely loved it. Also, imagine its amazing soundtrack in HD hhhhh it would be so amazing! If you're a fan of shoot em ups, I highly recommend playing. It's like with every other arcade-styled game out there: Hard at first, but goes by really fast if you know what you're doing.

In terms of Sega IPs though, I don't know if there are any chars that could be used. Realistically speaking of course. I can only see Kiryu or Arle as of right now, considering that Sega abandons their IPs even more than Nintendo.

ALSO discussing Sega IPs reminds me of playing Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart. Game is fun just sayin'.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In terms of Sega's biggest not-Sonic series there's Football Manager, Total War, Yakuza and Project Diva.

First two could be interesting for a moveset but Yakuza's combat system and bicycle genocide would be a better fit personally.

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
I’m thinking what would be a good Yakuza stage. Front Entrance of Kamurocho, Club Sega, Millennium Tower seem to be the ones that make the most sense to me. Unless they do what they did with New Donk City/Yggdrasil Altar and have u visit all of Kamurocho in the background which would be sweet as well.

D

Deleted member

Next Smash game is not going to be anywhere near as packed as this one with 3rd party reps. I'd imagine the only thing we'd get more of is Sega Reps; we'll probably start getting more Sonic characters in there as opposed to other Sega characters.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
In light of the FP #5 exodus from the past couple of days, who do you guys think is the most likely character now before any more deconfirmations happen? I'm betting on Lloyd or Chosen Undead atm.
I'd guess Lloyd, Ezio, or Phoenix right now. If that's the case then we might not be getting a VGA reveal after all since the only one of those 3 that makes sense to be shown there is Ezio.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
In terms of Sega IPs though, I don't know if there are any chars that could be used. Realistically speaking of course. I can only see Kiryu or Arle as of right now, considering that Sega abandons their IPs even more than Nintendo..
PSO2 is ongoing and coming west. And IDOLA is a thing, I guess...
Project Sakura Wars is bringing the series back after a dead decade.
Panzer Dragoon is getting a remake (with Zwei following)
House of the Dead just had a new arcade release last year.
Space Channel 5 is apparently getting a new VR game.
Shining is still sputtering along...

There's a lot from the Genesis days on back that haven't gotten as much love as they should, but there are still a number of IPs they're maintaining.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm seeing a few posts that are starting to see overambitious, so I think it's a good time for this:

Excitement for Fighter #5 is good, and I'm really hype to see what happens next, but it's important to keep expectations in check. Traditionally, Sakurai has not taken a "showstopper" approach when it comes to the final character announced for a given Smash game. As such, concluding that Fighter #5 has to be Sora, Dante, and Steve riding in the car from Daytona USA because they'd be the most hype isn't the best idea. Supporting someone you like is a lot of fun, but assuming that this is the only outcome possible and getting upset because "Sakurai betrayed me and destroyed my childhood" if this doesn't happen isn't very healthy.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Kosmos is getting more attention?
Where have you been for the last 2 months? She's slowly been building popularity since the start of October.

Most people think she is unlikely when compared to a Tales or Tekken character (I agree), but the possibility is definitely there.

She's definitely been more seriously discussed then 2B for the last 2 months at the very least. More and more eyes have also been falling on Bamco for the last month or so, which naturally only increases her discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom