• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Ngl I have no idea how to feel about this.

This genuinely surprises me on so many levels, could Sakurai like not make a Resident Evil character work or something?

D

Deleted member

Its quite impressive how out of the blue we get a hard disconfirmation for the biggest Capcom series, happy that we get some RE content but a fighter would have been nice...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Holy **** I actually feel super bad for the Resident Evil supporters. I could've sworn Jill or Leon was a definite at some point. After a day of leaker deconfirms Nintendo just straight said "nah guys". Zero warning or anything. Sheesh. Like it's cool that RE is represented at all but damn.

Well, uh, hopefully this looks good for Phoenix...?

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
It ain't gonna be Monster Hunter.

The Monster Hunter devs are actually really opposed to having the Hunter themselves in crossover games, because they prefer to have the focus on the monsters, not the humans. The only time this has happened was when the Hunter made it into MvC:I, and even then the MvC devs had to really twist the MonHun team's arm to get them to sign off on it.
The fact that it happened at all shows that, at the very least, they can be convinced to let it happen. If the MVC devs could convince them to allow the Hunters into Infinite, I'm sure Sakurai could do the same for Smash as well.

Their reason.

"Nemesis is too grotesque for Smash".
Nonsense, Nemesis is perfectly family-friendly for good boys and girls...

... unless they decide to go with shirtless Nemesis. If you thought Mai was too sexy for Smash...

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
It's so ******* weird how Resident Evil is disconfirmed for Smash on the very same day that I start playing the series for the first time.

Sorry guys, but I may have jinxed this.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Remember guys. Spirits deconfirmed the first Pass. Post-Pass Spirit characters have a chance. Not all is lost.
Depends on how far back we can assume spirit negotiations took place. I'm gonna go and say a year as to get the legal work done so if a Resi character does get in, I think it'll be quite a bit down the line. The spirit event could be the tie-in and the character themselves will come when they're done.

D

Deleted member

I do feel for the guys who were rooting for Jill or Leon though, as someone who went through having their most wanted get left out in the last game. Having them deconfirmed through a random tweet on a Tuesday evening probably just adds to the sting.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Remember guys. Spirits deconfirmed the first Pass. Post-Pass Spirit characters have a chance. Not all is lost.
Base game Spirits deconfirmed for the Fighter's Pass. Post launch Spirits, particularly ones after more DLC was confirmed, are probably going to reach a little further unfortunately.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I find it strangely amusing that for a series that usually has a wide body count....that four of its main characters were killed off, happened when a whole studio purportedly axed for Smash leak speculation, and saw the possibly Deconfirmation for Dante as #5.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

This genuinely surprises me on so many levels, could Sakurai like not make a Resident Evil character work or something?
Nemesis joins Mai in the Bad Boys and Girls Club. :troll:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Yeah, I honestly don't think it's that hard, but hey I'm not Sakurai. Maybe he wanted another Capcom franchise in first place?

Also, I remember a rumour being thrown a few weeks ago that Sakurai and Capcom talked about Jill but Sakurai couldn't figure out a viable moveset for her or something like that. I don't remember if that was proven fake but if not, maybe it has some connection to the spirits.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, the one nugget of...interesting tidbits to talk about, from a friend trying to cheer me up...

What led to the decision to make Resident Evil have spirits? Just to have those images, they would have to license them, and they’re the only 3rd party series to get the Spirit Treatment that requires licensing. Tetris, despite being 3rd party, doesn’t require licensing.

I’m not about to expect Spirits to not disconfirm. But, for what it’s worth, somebody decided that Resident Evil was worth doing a Spirit Event for.

I would say Capcom isn’t Pick 5, otherwise they’d have saved this event for after the reveal.
I have to imagine that Tetris does require licensing. Maybe not with the music, since it's Russian folk music presumably in public domain, but like... I think the event did list the Tetris Company copyright.

Why did RE show up as Spirits though? Well it is a big series with a strong historical Nintendo presence, no one can argue that, but it probably comes down to Capcom being easy to work with. Which doesn't really come as a surprise.

Plus you never know which developments might have happened behind the scenes which eventually resulted in this.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If they were on the base roster, maybe. Because then you could make the argument "oh, they didn't know they were gonna make more DLC, so maybe they'll revisit those characters they never had a chance to make and gave the Spirit treatment".

But this is near the end of the Fighter's Pass. Sakurai and the team know damn well they're making more DLC at this point. The door is open for anyone.

And yet still, they decided to sign off on Resident Evil spirits.

If anything, I'd say this is an even harder deconfirmation than if they were spirits in base roster.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Coooooooooooommmmmmmmeeee oooonnnn AMATERASU!!!!

Although I'm also fine with Phoenix Wright as well. I support his inclusion too.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
At least it would be cool if the Resident Evil spirits come with 2 songs or three.

Including this one, of course.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It ain't gonna be Monster Hunter.

The Monster Hunter devs are actually really opposed to having the Hunter themselves in crossover games, because they prefer to have the focus on the monsters, not the humans. The only time this has happened was when the Hunter made it into MvC:I, and even then the MvC devs had to really twist the MonHun team's arm to get them to sign off on it.
People change their opinions with time. Sure the MonHun team rejected the idea back in MvC3 but they changed their thoughts on the matter and accepted it when MvC:I came out.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Law and Disorder are gonna be in.

That’s right, Phoenix Wright has Monokuma on his side for FP5, courtesy of SiIvaGunner convincing all parties involved.

or it’s Porky.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
As far as Capcom goes:

Series that could use the boost, but whose cast I'm not as interested in seeing as fighters: Breath of Fire rep
Series that could use the boost and which have a rep I'd like to see make it in: Samanosuke Akechi (Onimusha) and Lei-Lei (Vampire Savior)
Series that are pretty much completely and irreversibly dead, but from which I'd still really like a particular character: Tron Bonne (Mega Man Legends)
Just straight-up not happening: Vanessa Z. Schneider (P.N.03), Regina (Dino Crisis), Scissorman (Clock Tower), Fiona & Hewie (Haunting Ground) and Princess Devilotte de Deathsatan IX (Cyberbots)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's also possible there's no Capcom character as DLC.

:teeth:
True, they do have 3 characters in the base game so maybe they're happy with the amiibo money.

Still, Capcom is no stranger to going nuts on crossovers. Megaman is coming to Dragalia freaking Lost for one example.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Just to be clear, any character that has a spirit card is automatically deconfirmed?

The fighters themselves have their own spirit cards but I'm probably missing something here.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm having a hard time keeping track of all this, but in the event that my girl gets decomfirmed as fighter #5, I choose to believe it's because she's having trouble registering (and that it's an obstacle she'll overcome next season):

2b+is+perplexed+darkwin17+artwork_2a4fba_6261118.gif

With that being said... I think she's still in the running, so that's great. My condolences for the characters being shot down now, but thankfully there's more DLC to come, so the fight isn't over yet.

EDIT: Good Lord, Resident Evil spirits? D: That's bittersweet. It's not over though, but that was unexpected.

Last edited:

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Oh god when I said process of elimination I didn't mean Nintendo just straight up sending a franchise to the spirit realm. Brutal.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I'm honestly this close to going back to those Cat Leaks now that I found a big timeline image regarding DLC leaks (even if it's possible Cat Post 2 is someone piggybacking

SNEKeater

Smash Master
inb4 Claire is the RE character like the leak that Sabi backed said, meaning that we will have Jonesy and Maxwell in Smash

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Oh god when I said process of elimination I didn't mean Nintendo just straight up sending a franchise to the spirit realm. Brutal.
sakurai: "you want a hint you pieces of ****? you want a ****ing hint? alright fine, here's some more process of elimination for you impatient ****s"

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Okay, wait, I'm lost.

I saw the Resident Evil spirits, but who disconfirmed Dante?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Lost in the RE spirits news is the fact that we still dont have any Astral Chain or 3 Houses spirits in the game even though there's been plenty of time to get them in. Feeling like we might have some good contenders post pass there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom