• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
speculation community: sakurai, where are all the capcom franchises in smash?

sakurai:

aa6.png

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People change their opinions with time. Sure the MonHun team rejected the idea back in MvC3 but they changed their thoughts on the matter and accepted it when MvC:I came out.
Yeah, somehow I expect the guy who got SE to break their rules on DQ protagonists, talked his way into getting Cloud instead of "recent FF protagonist", reclaimed Snake from a post-Kojima Konami, straight up said he wasn't going to include Pac-Man if they made him use the modern design, and revived Mega Man, Banjo, and Castlevania wouldn't be turned down if he wanted to use the Hunter. Especially in a post-MvC:I world.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Okay, wait, I'm lost.

I saw the Resident Evil spirits, but who disconfirmed Dante?
Sabi herself. Said that her actual sources came forward and said Dante isn't FP5.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
...what does Capcom even have to gain from licensing out an IP to just be spirits? What a baffling update.

How long until we get a Spirit Board update that includes Porky, Adeleine, Sylux and Waluigi (again) just to flip off anyone still hoping for Nintendo newcomers?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just to be clear, any character that has a spirit card is automatically deconfirmed?

The fighters themselves have their own spirit cards but I'm probably missing something here.
Here's the sitch

For a character to be a spirit, the owner had to agree to it.
Now base game spirits, they were most likely decided months before the game released. Ergo, they will not be in the Fighters pass, which was also decided before release but may be promoted in later DLC which was only decided upon when the sheer money making potential of Smash DLC was established.

Post game spirits, that's a different kettle of fish. We have no idea how long the negotiations would take. At present, it at the least cuts them out of being character 5 or one of the early post pass fighters.

All in all, bad for Resi characters, looking good for Three Houses characters.

D

Deleted member

Okay, wait, I'm lost.

I saw the Resident Evil spirits, but who disconfirmed Dante?
Sabi did, at least for fighter 5 so he's not completely dead.
But if Phoenix ends up being fighter 5 then he definitely will be

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I like it how these past few weeks are basically like the assist trophy kill count from November 1.

Doomguy
Geno
Hayabusa
Crash
Dante
Resident Evil Rep

Who's next on the death note?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
...what does Capcom even have to gain from licensing out an IP to just be spirits? What a baffling update.

How long until we get a Spirit Board update that includes Porky, Adeleine, Sylux and Waluigi (again) just to flip off anyone still hoping for Nintendo newcomers?
I think it's a case of promoting the upcoming ports and being better than nothing.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about you but after this I'm totally clueless about who will the 5th. My second take is Heihachi but it could be weird another fighter-fighter after Terry. It's not a law but, you know, weird . What,s outside this? Ubisoft? Indies? Lower profiles like Wright? The fraggin Geno at last adding another SE rep? I think that could be better if we don't take that 'characters out' list very seriously, at least are just words.
Fighters after the pass are for sure decided, so Resident Evil don't seems very likely, this event could turn into a no-sense in that case.
I'm not a player of RE cause I don't like the horror experiencies but I know and appreciate the lore and such. I was really especting a fighter, it almost hurts.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm just waiting for the day I wake up and see a tweet from Nintendo VS saying "Settle it in the courtroom! For 5 days, Phoenix, Edgeworth, Athena, and Apollo will appear on the Spirit Board in Super #SmashBrosUltimate!"

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I was eating something when I saw the spirits and between that and Dante not being FP5 suddenly I don't feel like eating anymore in my life

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
True, they do have 3 characters in the base game so maybe they're happy with the amiibo money.

Still, Capcom is no stranger to going nuts on crossovers. Megaman is coming to Dragalia freaking Lost for one example.
Oh I'm sure Capcom is more open than almost any other company when it comes to collaboration, but they're not really the ones calling the shots here.

It seems like, at least with characters, the third-parties are really just approached with something specific already in mind, and then have the option to either say yes or no (though obviously they have some say in the particulars of implementation).

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
There was a very real, but still small, possibility that Phoenix Wright could be in Smash... and it just got bigger. This is legit taking me back to the days of vanilla Marvel vs. Capcom 3, when there was a sizable chunk of dedicated fans vouching for Wright's inclusion in the game... which eventually happened with Ultimate MVC3. It may not be guaranteed, it may end up being Monster Hunter or a character not from Capcom, but still... wow.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I like it how these past few weeks are basically like the assist trophy kill count from November 1.

Doomguy
Geno
Hayabusa
Crash
Dante
Resident Evil Rep

Who's next on the death note?
Please be Flanders, please be Flanders...

Droodle

Smash Lord
Here's the sitch

For a character to be a spirit, the owner had to agree to it.
Now base game spirits, they were most likely decided months before the game released. Ergo, they will not be in the Fighters pass, which was also decided before release but may be promoted in later DLC which was only decided upon when the sheer money making potential of Smash DLC was established.

Post game spirits, that's a different kettle of fish. We have no idea how long the negotiations would take. At present, it at the least cuts them out of being character 5 or one of the early post pass fighters.

All in all, bad for Resi characters, looking good for Three Houses characters.
The thing is that this proves that Sakurai can just drop in extra spirits whenever he wants. It doesn't need to link up with anything.

Sooo... TH/Astral Chain spirits can possibily drop out of nowhere, if Sakurai really wants to add them.

So I'm back to neutral about those series' chances.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I'm just waiting for the day I wake up and see a tweet from Nintendo VS saying "Settle it in the courtroom! For 5 days, Phoenix, Edgeworth, Athena, and Apollo will appear on the Spirit Board in Super #SmashBrosUltimate!"
Please note I am not liking this post due to my enjoyment of said contents, but merely due to the obligation I have to acknowledge the possibility.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What's the downside?

Fans online go "ah damn" and then carry on with their day?

It's exposure.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
At this point I'd like to extend my condolences to @Lesley Black Velvet, with that tweet goes the last lady I thought had a chance at making it in.

Get this cursed thought away from me.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I don't know about you but after this I'm totally clueless about who will the 5th. My second take is Heihachi but it could be weird another fighter-fighter after Terry. It's not a law but, you know, weird . What,s outside this? Ubisoft? Indies? Lower profiles like Wright? The fraggin Geno at last adding another SE rep? I think that could be better if we don't take that 'characters out' list very seriously, at least are just words.
Fighters after the pass are for sure decided, so Resident Evil don't seems very likely, this event could turn into a no-sense in that case.
I'm not a player of RE cause I don't like the horror experiencies but I know and appreciate the lore and such. I was really especting a fighter, it almost hurts.
Lloyd and Phoenix are the top 2 for me right now. Still trying to reconsider a bit after the massive hits we've had the last few days

EDIT: Ezio is a contender as well

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The thing is that this proves that Sakurai can just drop in extra spirits whenever he wants. It doesn't need to link up with anything.

Sooo... TH/Astral Chain spirits can possibily drop out of nowhere, if Sakurai really wants to add them.

So I'm back to neutral about those series' chances.
It is possible that Resi spirits drop now, to tie in with the ports and then down the line a character is added (using art from the original 90's games as the alt) when they are ready. But they wouldn't release the spirits just before revealing them as characters so dead for character 5/neutral at best going forwards.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I'm just glad that none of my most-wanteds got purged yet.
Did Lloyd get deconfirmed yet? If not I think either him or Phoenix has a good shot

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah, I’m actually real disappointed right now. I’m sorry if I annoyed anybody with my Resident Evil tirades and talking about it. I’ve really come a long way in loving the series, having played 80% of it in the last 2-3 years. I loved the gameplay, and the characters. Considering the series itself, I really just thought it would be in.

Alas, I was clearly wrong. Some folks are trying to stoke the flames of hope in me, that it means something for later on. For all I know, maybe spirits don’t disconfirm. Maybe Resident Evil 2 Leon will come later.

In my heart though...I’m pretty sure it’s over. One of my latest favorite series ends up as a set of Spirits.

This is a major missed opportunity. Some of the most iconic characters in gaming are out. Jill, one of the first major female characters, Chris “Boulder killer” Redfield, and of course Leon Kennedy. I’m pretty sad.

Like I’ll be fine. Just real sad right now.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Did Lloyd get deconfirmed yet? If not I think either him or Phoenix has a good shot
Nope. We had a bit of a scare when it appeared Verge shot Lloyd down but that person was lying and called about by Verge pretty quickly.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Yeah, I’m actually real disappointed right now. I’m sorry if I annoyed anybody with my Resident Evil tirades and talking about it. I’ve really come a long way in loving the series, having played 80% of it in the last 2-3 years. I loved the gameplay, and the characters. Considering the series itself, I really just thought it would be in.

Alas, I was clearly wrong. Some folks are trying to stoke the flames of hope in me, that it means something for later on. For all I know, maybe spirits don’t disconfirm. Maybe Resident Evil 2 Leon will come later.

In my heart though...I’m pretty sure it’s over. One of my latest favorite series ends up as a set of Spirits.

This is a major missed opportunity. Some of the most iconic characters in gaming are out. Jill, one of the first major female characters, Chris “Boulder killer” Redfield, and of course Leon Kennedy. I’m pretty sad.

Hey, while I got you here, just wanna say that if you ever felt like I was actually giving you **** for being so hyped on the idea of a Resident Evil character, that I apologize. I feel for ya, having someone you really wanted be deconfirmed so unceremoniously ****in' sucks.

And I'm just as hyped and biased about Ace Attorney, so just know any time I jabbed at you for posting about Resident Evil was all in good fun.

Sorry you had to have someone you were excited for just killed off like this.

D

Deleted member

Cheer up mate, sadly it was not RE time to shine. We might also know the reasoning in the next couple of weeks.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
See, the trick is to shoot for characters that are such fringe picks that they won't come up at all.
If they're never acknowledged, they can't be deconfirmed!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's a special place in hell for people who would rather support a lawyer than a doggo. :troll:

Droodle

Smash Lord

It's fine. Everyone is allowed to be disappointed if their favorites don't get in. The fine line is that you shouldn't be toxic to other characters/fanbases, which a lot of people are, sadly.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I find it really funny that in a period where Sabi and Vergeben were disconfirming characters left and right without even thinking to touch RE, Nintendo themselves decided to come directly for my throat and crush my hopes and dreams. In a way I think this hurts more because of how much more official it is and the fact that being a spirit probably puts them off the table until the next game. I'm still a little sad, but I can't but but laugh at the irony of having my most wanted snatched away right when I thought they were safe from Verge or Sabi.

Anyway, I'm just gonna go out on a limb and guess Ezio for FP5. He's prolly gonna be killed off as soon as I finish typing this, but I just have a hunch about him being somewhere in DLC and AC seems like something that would work with the Game Awards crowd. Plus Ubisoft is close with Nintendo and Rayman was sentenced to PNG hell with Leon and Jill, so why not pull from their biggest franchise.

inb4 it'd one of the characters that Sabi and Verge disconfirmed and we'll all end up looking like fools by the end of this pass

M@R!3

Smash Ace
So let me get this straight, I leave for an hour to run an errand and then Nintendo more or less just casually snaps the entire RE franchise out of existence?

*sigh* Okay

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Phoenix Wright, Heihachi, Lloyd, Ezio/Assassin, and plenty others still have a shot. It could be Reimu after all for all we know. I'm legitimately stunned.

So, like, what's Three Houses and Astral Chain's excuse?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Sakurai's over the honeymoon period of "what new worlds can I include in Smash" and has moved onto "what new worlds can I kill off".

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
How is Phoenix more likely now that we have RE spirits?

If they're gonna relegate a series like RE to spirits whats to say they wouldn't do the same for Ace Attorney? or Okami? Or any other Capcom IP?

D

Deleted member

Yeah sorry that RE was killed like this in such an unceremonious fashion but look on the bright side it's better than not being represented at all and sure it's a missed opportunity but knowing how well Capcom and Nintendo work together proven by this game alone this only shoots a Resident Evil characters chances up in the inevitable Smash 6.

RE may have lost the battle but they sure as hell haven't lost the war. You may be disappointed now but eventually be in Smash 6, 7, whenever I'm sure they'll manage to get their way in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom