• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
If the fans clearly asked for something AND you've already asked for their input, you better be ready to either deliver or give a clear explanation as to why not.
Ehh I think it would be great if they gave an explanation but I don't think that would actually help matters. Think about Ridley, he clearly told us he was too big and that's why he wasn't in and yet people still argued about it. At this point Nintendo has nothing to gain and everything to lose. Not to mention they may very well continue to pull from the list later and so they don't feel the need to say why they didn't pick someone when they have every intention of using them later.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
K. Rool absolutely would not have gotten in without the ballot. His popularity was a shock to everyone. And to be frank, I don't think Snake would be back or Pichu or Wolf without the ballot. The veterans returning was a much bigger fan boon than you reali
I have made it pretty clear that K. Rool is the one exception; he is definitely a ballot character.
With the vets, my argument is that they are in as a result of "Everyone is Here!" more so than fan request. Not all vets were popular; in fact, Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle, and Ivysaur were not. "Everyone is Here" was a Sakurai dream made possible by unique circumstances, and in retrospect I can say that it was very likely without the ballot.

shocktarts17 shocktarts17 I see your point. I guess it depends on what the explanation is in some cases, but it does go to show that there aren't many explanations that people would deem acceptable.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I really do not think the project plan focus would have been Everyone Is Here without the ballot. At most it would've been a souped up Smash 4 with that base roster. But hey, we don't have intimate ways to ask Sakurai about that, so in the end perhaps it's a futile discussion.

I didn't realize people wanted Wolf back until the ballot. Do you really think Sakurai did?

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I really do not think the project plan focus would have been Everyone Is Here without the ballot. At most it would've been a souped up Smash 4 with that base roster. But hey, we don't have intimate ways to ask Sakurai about that, so in the end perhaps it's a futile discussion.

I didn't realize people wanted Wolf back until the ballot. Do you really think Sakurai did?
Wolf was highly requested pre-Brawl, often times butting heads with the Krystal fandom before the game's release.

He starred in Assault and (ugh) Command. The former being a moderately well received game and sold decently enough. Not to mention his appearances in Star Fox 64 which are memorable to anyone who played that game.

He isn't a nobody.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think Sakurai has had a particular attachment to vets from the get-go; after all, Smash has had a "grandfather clause" pretty much from the start, with characters like Jigglypuff being in every installment. He has said many times that he hates seeing stuff removed. If they were using the ballot, they could have just brought back a few of the most popular vets and then left the rest alone. Probably just having the Smash 4 roster back plus ICs and Wolf would have been enough for most people, as nobody was expecting cut vets to be back.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Wolf was highly requested pre-Brawl, often times butting heads with the Krystal fandom before the game's release.

He starred in Assault and (ugh) Command. The former being a moderately well received game and sold decently enough. Not to mention his appearances in Star Fox 64 which are memorable to anyone who played that game.

He isn't a nobody.
I know that now, but as someone who at the time didn't even pay attention to "the Smash fandom" as represented on Smashboards, Wolf was just a clone from Brawl they cut because they wanted a smaller roster, hence why they cut Lucas and Roy. It made sense to me. I love Star Fox 64 and consider it one of my favorite games of all time, but in a Smash context he was just another spot.

I'm not saying Sakurai would be as out of touch as I was with what this section of the Smash fandom wants, I'm more saying that with all the other things he has to worry about, including adding new characters and paring down the roster based on a number of factors, it makes sense that the requests veterans got would have surprised him too. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's said in one of his columns that he was surprised.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Everyone is Here might have been something that Sakurai extrapolated from the ballot, but I’d argue mistakenly so.

There’s no arguing that characters like Snake, Ice Climbers and Wolf were highly demanded to come back. But extrapolating ‘people want some veterans back’ to ‘people want all veterans back’ is on Sakurai. You didn’t see a lot of people clamoring for Pichu back; likewise, the only people who wanted Young Link back wanted him back with a mask moveset.

And that’s assuming that people would have missed every character from Smash 4. I have my doubts about that. In the end, I think Everyone is Back certainly is something nobody knew they wanted, but it’s also something that ended up hurting development of the game and the final product.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Being in the hardcore roster perfectionist community can warp one's perspective on what characters are popular. Not just because most people don't care about whether or not a fighter is a clone, from a series with several fighters, an anime swordsman, etc., but also how Pichu's controversial Melee appearance barely hurt its overall popularity, and Young Link comes from what used to be the most popular Zelda games before BotW.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I did want Squirtle back as a solo fighter, but I just love Water types so yeah

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Being in the hardcore roster perfectionist community can warp one's perspective on what characters are popular. Not just because most people don't care about whether or not a fighter is a clone, from a series with several fighters, an anime swordsman, etc., but also how Pichu's controversial Melee appearance barely hurt its overall popularity, and Young Link comes from what used to be the most popular Zelda games before BotW.
I don't think anyone is saying that Pichu or OoT aren't popular, but I'd be willing to bet that a majority of Smash fans had accepted Toon Link as the Young Link replacement and very rarely did Pichu come up other than as a meme "bad" character thanks to the self damaging gimmick being seen as intentionally troll-y. While I think generally people are happy that they are back, the number of people who would have been upset if they weren't would have been quite low.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
2019, here we come!
Happy New Years everybody.

What are the current topics regarding DLC, rumours and what not? Have been inactive since the 7th of December for obvious reasons.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It absolutely does matter if Castlevania was 10th or 50th. If it was 50th, it's really hard to justify as a "ballot character" when there's a bunch of ballot characters that did better and didn't get in. As you've said, there may be various reasons why those other characters were cast aside, but it's rather ridiculous to say that none of them were feasible, if there were indeed 15-20 characters or more ahead of it. I'll also point out that my argument isn't that the ballot played no role, just that other factors like Sakurai's feelings for Castlevania and Castlevania's status as a classic series were more important to its inclusion, to the point that it was very likely to get in without any votes on the ballot. I'm also not trying to say that every character should be a fan request. But based on what I've seen it seems that they barely used the ballot at all; every newcomer besides K. Rool probably would have gotten in without the ballot ever happening. I guess you could say the Echo choices may have been different without the ballot, but that's not really gonna move the needle much. Isabelle, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant are pretty clearly not ballot requests. King K. Rool is. Inkling would have almost certainly gotten in without the ballot, but it was requested. Ridley, Castlevania, and returning vets muddy the waters a bit, and that's where the debate is mostly focused. But Ridley only had feasibility issues to overcome even before the ballot, and returning vets was more due to a unique situation in which Sakurai had the opportunity to do it and really wanted to do it. So if you're just looking for popular characters, there are a decent number that got in: K. Rool, Ridley, Inkling, and a couple of vets like ICs, Wolf, and Snake. I don't count Simon, but you can maybe throw him in there if you want. I also don't count Isabelle, but she has her popularity in certain circles. But other than K. Rool, each one of these had some happy circumstances that got them in; we don't know if ICs, Wolf, or Snake would've come back without all vets coming back.
You're still using the incorrect logic about how the ballot works. It's a suggestion box. Yes, if it was 50th place, it wouldn't make a difference. Because the point was that it was highly requested. Which means 50th place would still have a very high amount of votes. The number of votes matter, not the order of who had the most. It was already covered; he doesn't go for the most voted. It's never that simple.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the one character who is clearly in primarily because of the ballot is also the one character who happened to be the almost certain winner by almost all measures (K. Rool), and I also don't think it's a coincidence that every other character who you could maybe argue came from the ballot just so happened to neatly coincide with the direction Nintendo and Sakurai were taking without the ballot in consideration. See, King K. Rool is the biggest piece of evidence that number of votes DO matter; he had a ton and we know that he was definitely in the top few spots (almost certainly no. 1, even). Let's face it, Nintendo really wouldn't have much use for K. Rool if he wasn't popular. You could argue that they can use him in Donkey Kong Country again, and I hope that happens, but the prospect of him returning as the big bad in those games wouldn't be something that would motivate them to include him in Smash unless they knew his massive popularity. And I totally get that they may have intended the ballot as a suggestion box of sorts, but I don't see how that changes the fundamental reality of the situation: they asked for fan input. Of course they're gonna say that they'll only consider each request; they have to protect themselves from Shrek winning. But as I said before, if you ask people what they want and then decide to skip over those requests to get to something less popular, there has to be a good reason, and I mean a good one. Not even "Ridley's too big" is really valid here; if Ridley was the number two or three most voted-on character (he probably wasn't but say for example that he was), that wouldn't be an excuse. If the fans clearly asked for something AND you've already asked for their input, you better be ready to either deliver or give a clear explanation as to why not.
It's pretty easily a coincidence in many of those cases. The veterans are ballot characters by far. It's what people wanted, and every veteran is popular on their own merits. Doesn't matter who they are. Once they're in, people don't want to see 'em cut. There are those who do, but every character has a legitimate fan, and easily more than one. Castlevania content is straight out said to be due to the ballot's influence. Let's stop making up conspiracy theories here. It doesn't really matter how he came to the conclusion, whether he counted votes for anything related to the content, or just counted votes that specify "Casltevania content/Character" at all. In the end, it got enough votes that he felt the content was justified to be in. That's pretty much what he's saying, as well as that Simon and Richter were the two most known, and the best way to have a playable character set. This also suggests he outright intended for Richter to be an echo from the start. Dark Samus and Chrom were implied to be ballot picks by being "heavily requested by the fans". Daisy might've gotten in this way as well. Ridley is kind of strange, since he was highly requested regardless of the ballot. It is possible the ballot pushed Sakurai over to making him work, but it may not have mattered. Isabelle might be due to the ballot. The rest? Eh, doesn't seem like it straightout. Inklings were a given regardless, though I doubt they weren't requested too(which might be why they got the Mii Costume, as well as how K. Rool got one).

Also, there is no ballot winner. Because it's not a contest. Unless you mean multiple winners, because multiple characters were chosen for the ballot. But that still ignores what the actual point of it was. It's just a suggestion box that has a poor name used. Ballot is very misleading. I went over it with multiple strong reasoning including the fact that the actual description for both the Japanese and English versions mention nothing of some sort of "winning" or that only 1 character can be chosen. It was always about giving out fun ideas for Sakurai and Nintendo to listen to and implement some that will work. Which is what happened. Some became Mii costumes, some became playable characters. Perfect for the suggestion box it actually is.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't think anyone is saying that Pichu or OoT aren't popular, but I'd be willing to bet that a majority of Smash fans had accepted Toon Link as the Young Link replacement and very rarely did Pichu come up other than as a meme "bad" character thanks to the self damaging gimmick being seen as intentionally troll-y. While I think generally people are happy that they are back, the number of people who would have been upset if they weren't would have been quite low.
I was always under the assumption that Pichu would be better if it came back. And it is, people are just biased against it because they want Pokemon to be represented by just Pikachu and three fully evolved "bad-asses" that are awkward to play as.

Likewise with Young Link, this was the best time to bring it back. Toon Link never inherited all his differences while acquiring his own, and the regular Link has been remixed to match BotW.

Of course, this is all gonna fall on deaf ears because roster Thanoses don't care about actually playing the game, just staring at the roster.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
The veterans are ballot characters by far. It's what people wanted, and every veteran is popular on their own merits. Doesn't matter who they are. Once they're in, people don't want to see 'em cut. There are those who do, but every character has a legitimate fan, and easily more than one. Castlevania content is straight out said to be due to the ballot's influence. Let's stop making up conspiracy theories here. It doesn't really matter how he came to the conclusion, whether he counted votes for anything related to the content, or just counted votes that specify "Casltevania content/Character" at all. In the end, it got enough votes that he felt the content was justified to be in. That's pretty much what he's saying, as well as that Simon and Richter were the two most known, and the best way to have a playable character set. This also suggests he outright intended for Richter to be an echo from the start. Dark Samus and Chrom were implied to be ballot picks by being "heavily requested by the fans". Daisy might've gotten in this way as well. Ridley is kind of strange, since he was highly requested regardless of the ballot. It is possible the ballot pushed Sakurai over to making him work, but it may not have mattered. Isabelle might be due to the ballot. The rest? Eh, doesn't seem like it straightout. Inklings were a given regardless, though I doubt they weren't requested too(which might be why they got the Mii Costume, as well as how K. Rool got one).

Also, there is no ballot winner. Because it's not a contest. Unless you mean multiple winners, because multiple characters were chosen for the ballot. But that still ignores what the actual point of it was. It's just a suggestion box that has a poor name used. Ballot is very misleading. I went over it with multiple strong reasoning including the fact that the actual description for both the Japanese and English versions mention nothing of some sort of "winning" or that only 1 character can be chosen. It was always about giving out fun ideas for Sakurai and Nintendo to listen to and implement some that will work. Which is what happened. Some became Mii costumes, some became playable characters. Perfect for the suggestion box it actually is.
First, I said that some vets can be considered ballot characters but not all of them; furthermore, they would have come along with "Everyone is Here" anyway, which likely happened regardless of the ballot.

I don't view the Echoes as being crucial to the argument. They're roster-padding throw-ins and none of them seemed to be super high on the ballot anyway. They may have been the most popular characters that could fit as Echoes, though, so in that sense they did listen, but it's not like it cost them much.

If Sakurai came to the conclusion that Castlevania was justifiable using the ballot, then I'm not sure that he made the right conclusion. Of course, I don't know how he came to that conclusion and I don't have the actual ballot results, but I have quite a bit of other information that's telling me that it's not the right conclusion. And the goal here isn't to make some sort of conspiracy theory; I'm not accusing them of lying and I'm not trying to make stuff up. Perhaps it sounds like a bit of a hyperbole to say "K. Rool was the only ballot character," as they did use the ballot for non-playable content and a number of other popular characters got into the game, albeit for reasons other than the ballot. However, whether or not you agree that K. Rool was the only "true" ballot character, it remains to say that many people feel like they were given a voice and their voice was ignored.

And I touched on this a bit before, but I agree that the ballot was intended to be more like a suggestion box than an actual contest. But really that changes almost nothing. They asked for input. We have a pretty good idea of what input was given. And very little of the playable content lines up with that input, unless it had major reasons to be chosen without that input. A lot of the other non-playable content does line up with the input, which reinforces our intuition regarding what did well on the ballot, but very little of that was actually converted into playable representation. Sure, they're free to not take the suggestion. But people are gonna be confused and disappointed if they don't, unless there's a very good reason for it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
First, I said that some vets can be considered ballot characters but not all of them; furthermore, they would have come along with "Everyone is Here" anyway, which likely happened regardless of the ballot.
Why do you think he wanted everyone is here? Cause people voted for them. It didn't come out of nowhere. He normally does cuts due to development time. This is the only game where he made it his mission to please tons of fans.

I don't view the Echoes as being crucial to the argument. They're roster-padding throw-ins and none of them seemed to be super high on the ballot anyway. They may have been the most popular characters that could fit as Echoes, though, so in that sense they did listen, but it's not like it cost them much.
In Smash 4, yes. However, he specifically said Chrom and Dark Samus were added due to fan requests. It wasn't roster padding. It was directly because people wanted them in. They were only plausible because of the Echo Status. He also had all the characters planned out immediately, and nobody was added mid-development. There was no actual roster padding. It was fully pre-planned. At best some may have been pushed back for DLC due to 3rd party companies deciding that.

If Sakurai came to the conclusion that Castlevania was justifiable using the ballot, then I'm not sure that he made the right conclusion. Of course, I don't know how he came to that conclusion and I don't have the actual ballot results, but I have quite a bit of other information that's telling me that it's not the right conclusion. And the goal here isn't to make some sort of conspiracy theory; I'm not accusing them of lying and I'm not trying to make stuff up. Perhaps it sounds like a bit of a hyperbole to say "K. Rool was the only ballot character," as they did use the ballot for non-playable content and a number of other popular characters got into the game, albeit for reasons other than the ballot. However, whether or not you agree that K. Rool was the only "true" ballot character, it remains to say that many people feel like they were given a voice and their voice was ignored.
It's easily the right conclusion. It's an iconic and major series that he went with. And you're still trying to go with this winner thing? Multiple characters were chosen because of the ballot. There is no single winner. There was never once meant to be. It's a freaking suggestion box and nothing more.

"I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time, and King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong series was one who received a ton of votes". Notice how he says "characters". Plural. There's no questioning he used the ballot for multiple.

And I touched on this a bit before, but I agree that the ballot was intended to be more like a suggestion box than an actual contest. But really that changes almost nothing. They asked for input. We have a pretty good idea of what input was given. And very little of the playable content lines up with that input, unless it had major reasons to be chosen without that input. A lot of the other non-playable content does line up with the input, which reinforces our intuition regarding what did well on the ballot, but very little of that was actually converted into playable representation. Sure, they're free to not take the suggestion. But people are gonna be confused and disappointed if they don't, unless there's a very good reason for it.
Of course it changes everything. Because there is no such thing as a single winner. They all are by their character being put into Smash itself in some way. But regardless of that, playable representation isn't the entire thing of what's important. Just being represented in some way still matters. Never mind what do you think most Mii Costumes are these days? They're consolation prizes for those who couldn't make the playable cut. Considering he had a very short time limit to make the game, obviously only some would be playable. Some got Mii costumes instead. Some got Spirits. Some were AT'd. He can only do so much.

And yes, when he says selecting characters, he means it. Characters aren't just about being playable. There's so much more that can be done. Some won't make it, obviously.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Everyone is Back is not something that people wrote on the Ballot. People voted for characters.

You might see Wolf, Ice Climbers and Snake placing great but to assume that that means people hate all cuts is just that, an assumption, and also wrong.

So while you might say that Everyone is Here is a result of the Ballot, it’s actually a result of Sakurai’s interpretation of Ballot results.

It’s like, maybe if I were to look at the Ballot, and see that Phoenix Wright, Leon Kennedy, Chun Li, Amaterasu and Dante all placed great to poorly. If I were then to extrapolate that there’s huge demand for a Capcom character and add Strider Hiryu, that would be pretty stupid, wouldn’t it?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Everyone is Back is not something that people wrote on the Ballot. People voted for characters.

You might see Wolf, Ice Climbers and Snake placing great but to assume that that means people hate all cuts is just that, an assumption, and also wrong.

So while you might say that Everyone is Here is a result of the Ballot, it’s actually a result of Sakurai’s interpretation of Ballot results.

It’s like, maybe if I were to look at the Ballot, and see that Phoenix Wright, Leon Kennedy, Chun Li, Amaterasu and Dante all placed great to poorly. If I were then to extrapolate that there’s huge demand for a Capcom character and add Strider Hiryu, that would be pretty stupid, wouldn’t it?
People might not have voted for "Everyone is Back", but the reaction to characters like Mewtwo, Dr. Mario (to some extent), Lucas, and Roy returning, as well as Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf being left out, seems to make it pretty clear that people don't like to see characters getting removed from Smash, and they're excited when those characters return.

The only other cut veterans that I didn't mention there were Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Young Link, who wouldn't exactly be difficult to get permission to use.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Did you really honestly compare demand for Casltevania, a specific series full of characters, and an entire company? No, that's not a legitimate point.

It's pretty clear what he is saying. It means that there were tons of votes related to Castlevania on the ballot, which is one(or more) reason(s) he added it in. Please stop trying to make up ridiculous conspiracy theories that don't make any sense to justify an impossible narrative. Simon and Richter were ballot-related. Sakurai literally said it. Seriously, could just get over this and move on? You're sounding beyond ridiculous now.

Even then, wanting everybody back may not be a straight ballot thing people voted for, but every veteran absolutely got votes. Every cut always does. He knows the extreme popularity every characters gets by being in Smash, the most infamous Video Game Character Crossover in the world(...with MUGEN being a straight second, respectively). No character is universally hated. Ignore your hatred for anyone and you'll see everybody has fans. It doesn't matter why they're fans. They still have 'em. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some people actually asked for all missing vets to return, I remain skeptical of that type of vote fully counting. More than likely, singular votes of characters(or teams of characters like IC's) were the only ones counted, as long as they were possible(like votes like Goku aren't counted).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
People might not have voted for "Everyone is Back", but the reaction to characters like Mewtwo, Dr. Mario (to some extent), Lucas, and Roy returning, as well as Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf being left out, seems to make it pretty clear that people don't like to see characters getting removed from Smash, and they're excited when those characters return.

The only other cut veterans that I didn't mention there were Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Young Link, who wouldn't exactly be difficult to get permission to use.
From what I recall, Dr. Mario’s return wasn’t received too warmly. While there are some characters people miss and are glad to see return, there are others that are not. And while permission is not an issue, development resources are.

...Did you really honestly compare demand for Casltevania, a specific series full of characters, and an entire company? No, that's not a legitimate point.

It's pretty clear what he is saying. It means that there were tons of votes related to Castlevania on the ballot, which is one(or more) reason(s) he added it in. Please stop trying to make up ridiculous conspiracy theories that don't make any sense to justify an impossible narrative. Simon and Richter were ballot-related. Sakurai literally said it. Seriously, could just get over this and move on? You're sounding beyond ridiculous now.

Even then, wanting everybody back may not be a straight ballot thing people voted for, but every veteran absolutely got votes. Every cut always does. He knows the extreme popularity every characters gets by being in Smash, the most infamous Video Game Character Crossover in the world(...with MUGEN being a straight second, respectively). No character is universally hated. Ignore your hatred for anyone and you'll see everybody has fans. It doesn't matter why they're fans. They still have 'em. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some people actually asked for all missing vets to return, I remain skeptical of that type of vote fully counting. More than likely, singular votes of characters(or teams of characters like IC's) were the only ones counted, as long as they were possible(like votes like Goku aren't counted).
Yeah, I did compare the two. Why not? Makes as much sense to me.

What I’m saying is

A) Castlevania would have been added even if their was never a ballot
B) Castlevania likely didn’t perform great on the ballot, even when adding up requests for all characters
Therefore
C) Castlevania wasn’t added because of the ballot

I don’t buy Sakurai’s claim that Castlevania was huge on the ballot. That just seems like PR talk to justify what was more likely a personal decision of his due to being a Castlevania fan. I think it’s a very right choice, mind you, but it’s still not a ballot choice.

Let’s assume a hypothetical ballot
Character X landed in first place, Character Y in 45 and Character Z in 327. You can theoretically choose character Z and say it was because of the ballot, but the thing with ballots is, you choose the first one first and the last one last. Unless you have other reasons to pick a character, but then you can’t claim it was a pure ballot thing.

You claim every veteran absolutely got votes. You got any proof? Because I doubt that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I did compare the two. Why not? Makes as much sense to me.
So then no actual logic, got it. Because that's literally counterproductive as reasoning. There are tons of Capcom games. He has no clue what to think about. On the other hand, certain Capcom games being mentioned actually is something he'd going to think on. He can think of a franchise because it has actual content of note he can think on.

What I’m saying is

A) Castlevania would have been added even if their was never a ballot
B) Castlevania likely didn’t perform great on the ballot, even when adding up requests for all characters
Therefore
C) Castlevania wasn’t added because of the ballot
A) Maybe. But we have hard evidence that says otherwise. So there's no good reason to believe that ballot didn't play a role. And no, the bad idea it's some "only one winner" doesn't work as a legitimate point. It's already been known that multiple characters were chosen from it. He also made that clear that he looked at it for characters.
B) Except it did as said straight from the source, himself.
C) Keep dreaming. It was blatantly claimed as a hard fact that yes, the ballot played a role. Get over it. You'll continue to be wrong by denying hard facts.

As long as you continue to believe it's some sort of contest, you'll never get why characters are chosen. You're

I don’t buy Sakurai’s claim that Castlevania was huge on the ballot. That just seems like PR talk to justify what was more likely a personal decision of his due to being a Castlevania fan. I think it’s a very right choice, mind you, but it’s still not a ballot choice.
It was not remotely PR talk, dude. He explained how he came to choose the characters. The series in general was hugely requested. Therefore, he took of note it. Now, it is possible his like for the series helped influence it. But it doesn't change the hard fact that yes, the ballot had influences too. He wouldn't say it otherwise. He doesn't go around lying. He made it clear it was a ballot choice.

Let’s assume a hypothetical ballot
Character X landed in first place, Character Y in 45 and Character Z in 327. You can theoretically choose character Z and say it was because of the ballot, but the thing with ballots is, you choose the first one first and the last one last. Unless you have other reasons to pick a character, but then you can’t claim it was a pure ballot thing.
Nothing was a pure ballot thing anyway. There's also more to it than that. Why would it be? It's a suggestion box(and nothing more) that helps to bring attention to characters. Maybe K. Rool was the only at best that strictly ballot, but it doesn't change the hard fact(which you continue to pointlessly deny) that part of why(or it could even be the entire reason) he chose Simon and Richter due to the ballot. What was very clear is that people had a lot of love for the content in itself, which could've been split up heavily. It could've been "Castlevania Character" too(not simply Castlevania content), but it doesn't much matter since it led him to choose some characters.

You claim every veteran absolutely got votes. You got any proof? Because I doubt that.
It's called common sense. Of course all got votes. Every single one has fans. But fair enough on this one, I won't argue this point further.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
K. Rool was. That’s the whole point. You claim the ballot was only meant as a suggestion box. Fine. That’s a stupid idea. The only suggestions they took were the ones that agreed with them.
That's how suggestions work. If you like the idea, you use it.

If you don't like them? Then you don't like who was picked. That's fine. But you still need to really get over this already.

And you really can't prove that either anyway. There's always more to it. There's no reason to believe magically that was the only factor. Yet somehow it doesn't make sense that he chose another series to represent that was highly requested, and somehow it can't be the only way. You can't just pick and choose how it works. We have factual multiple characters chosen due to the ballot. It was made clear. No single character(or sets of related characters) got any special treatment in this regard. The number of votes alone didn't even matter. The fact some had a huge quantity does matter to some degree. Not the placement of who actually had the highest. Did you even read the stuff I cited about Sakurai's choosing characters? He does not choose the most popular just because of that alone. He goes for many things, including uniqueness. It's pretty much why the Ballot was a suggestion box instead.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That's how suggestions work. If you like the idea, you use it.

If you don't like them? Then you don't like who was picked. That's fine. But you still need to really get over this already.
One thing is to use the ideas you like. That’s fine.

A different thing is to use the ideas you already liked. That’s called confirmation bias. It renders suggestions worthless.

For the record, I’m happy with most of the characters that got picked. But I do feel a little concerned because of the reasons why they got picked (and the reasons those that didn’t, didn’t)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One thing is to use the ideas you like. That’s fine.

A different thing is to use the ideas you already liked. That’s called confirmation bias. It renders suggestions worthless.

For the record, I’m happy with most of the characters that got picked. But I do feel a little concerned because of the reasons why they got picked (and the reasons those that didn’t, didn’t)
...Did you actually think Sakurai doesn't have biases? He's only human.

No, it's not confirmation bias here. Unless you mean that's how he decided to choose it. If so, well, he's not infallible. Castlevania was highly important in gaming history, so I don't see any real issue here anyway.

Also, you missed some stuff I edited in.

But he didn't use ideas he already liked anyway. He uses ideas that got a huge amount of requests because it would go well with fans. That's the difference here. The fact tons of series and/or characters got tons of votes make them worth considering. It doesn't matter which one had more votes than the other. Wouldn't change anything overall. You still get tons of votes towards a series/characters regardless. Which is actually useful in knowing what people want. There's also many other factors, like who is easier to get, what works out better at the times, which series are currently active. He had 11 new characters to add after the tons of veterans. That didn't give him much wiggle room. So series that are inactive(for instance, Golden Sun), are understandably lower priority. And any 3rd party series might not work out. We don't know why Shadow didn't get an upgrade. Sega could've said no. Maybe he was on the project plan or intended to be. Maybe he wasn't even considered. Who knows. That's how non-simple all of it is.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Why do you think he wanted everyone is here? Cause people voted for them. It didn't come out of nowhere. He normally does cuts due to development time. This is the only game where he made it his mission to please tons of fans.
We've been over this one a bunch of times already. Lots of vets were only moderately popular at best. People wanted some vets, but not necessarily all of them, and if Sakurai determined that "Everyone is Here" was a good idea by using the ballot, then he misinterpreted what people wanted.

In Smash 4, yes. However, he specifically said Chrom and Dark Samus were added due to fan requests. It wasn't roster padding. It was directly because people wanted them in. They were only plausible because of the Echo Status. He also had all the characters planned out immediately, and nobody was added mid-development. There was no actual roster padding. It was fully pre-planned. At best some may have been pushed back for DLC due to 3rd party companies deciding that.
It can be fully pre-planned and still be roster padding. But either way, the main point there was that even if the Echoes were decided by the ballot, that's still not moving the needle much. They're lower-effort clones, and that's the primary reason that they're in, ballot or no. Without the ballot, maybe we would get, idk, Alph with Rock Pikmin instead of Dark Samus. But something like that makes little difference in the grand scheme of the roster construction.

It's easily the right conclusion. It's an iconic and major series that he went with. And you're still trying to go with this winner thing? Multiple characters were chosen because of the ballot. There is no single winner. There was never once meant to be. It's a freaking suggestion box and nothing more.

"I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time, and King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong series was one who received a ton of votes". Notice how he says "characters". Plural. There's no questioning he used the ballot for multiple.
Now, I don't have a gripe with Castlevania being in the game. But I don't agree with them justifying its inclusion based on the ballot. Castlevania may have the credentials to be in Smash, but so did plenty of other characters who were, by all measures available to us, even more highly requested than Castlevania. You say it's not a competition, and maybe it's not meant to be that way, but development resources are finite. They have to weigh one character getting in vs. another one. In fact, "character slots" may actually be a thing, at least to some extent; we know Sakurai left a spot open specifically for a Pokémon both in Ultimate and in 4, and Sakurai labeled Duck Hunt as "this game's surprise character" in the project plan for 4, suggesting that he saves a spot for a surprise (this is further supported by the chain of G&W, R.O.B., and now PP). And again, not every character has to be from the ballot, so Castlevania itself isn't the issue. Trying to use Castlevania as a way to write off the issue is what we're talking about.

In the quote you provided, the plural you pointed out doesn't really matter. He just says that he referred to the Ballot when selecting characters, which just means that it was a part of the process. This does not imply that anybody else actually got in because of it. And no, King K. Rool winning did not guarantee him a spot; if Shrek won I doubt they'd add him. I never meant to imply that the ballot was supposed to produce one winner; however, it just so happens that everything beyond the winner was cherry-picked.

But regardless of that, playable representation isn't the entire thing of what's important. Just being represented in some way still matters. Never mind what do you think most Mii Costumes are these days? They're consolation prizes for those who couldn't make the playable cut. Considering he had a very short time limit to make the game, obviously only some would be playable. Some got Mii costumes instead. Some got Spirits. Some were AT'd. He can only do so much.

And yes, when he says selecting characters, he means it. Characters aren't just about being playable. There's so much more that can be done. Some won't make it, obviously.
From the Iwata quote you provided earlier:
"I imagine that you have some fighters in mind yourself. Can you think of anyone you’d like to see fight against characters like Mario or Link in Super Smash Brothers? "

They absolutely branded the ballot as "who would you want to see as a PC?" and not "who would you like as a PC or Mii Costume or AT or Trophy or whatever else." Yes, non-playable representation matters and can be a good consolation prize, but that doesn't replace giving priority to characters with big-time requests when they decide the roster.

But if they used this as justification for "Everyone is Here" then that's not from the ballot. Judging people's reactions to characters is anecdotal evidence at best; that's part of why they created the ballot, so that they'd have harder numbers to determine characters' popularity. Just because people cheered when Pichu showed up on screen doesn't mean it was a big-time request to return, especially if it didn't have the raw numbers to back it up.

So then no actual logic, got it. Because that's literally counterproductive as reasoning.
Maybe the better analogy is "they see Phoenix Wright, Leon Kennedy, and Chun Li were the top 3 voted-on Capcom characters and all three had at least a decently high number of votes, and they went with Chun Li because Sakurai likes Street Fighter, even though Wright and Kennedy both had way more votes than her." Compare that to "Phoenix Wright had a slightly higher vote total than Chun Li, but for some strange reason Capcom said they wouldn't give Nintendo the rights to Phoenix Wright, so they decided on Chun Li after trying very hard to get Wright."

Castlevania was highly important in gaming history
Again, it's not about Castlevania being deserving or not. It's them trying to use Castlevania as an example of something that was "determined by the fans" when it was primarily determined based on other factors (and I'm sure its place in gaming history was one of those factors).

So series that are inactive(for instance, Golden Sun), are understandably lower priority
Please don't play the "dead character" card on me...I don't want to come off as disrespectful but I'm tired of it.
If anything, a "dead character" being highly requested should tell them that maybe, just maybe, fans want content from that series beyond just Smash. Adding a character from an inactive franchise doesn't necessarily make sense from a marketing perspective, sure. But if you're asking for suggestions from fans, you can't expect them to always have requests that fit with your marketing tastes. And probably they expected stuff like Cloud and Bayonetta to be the winners, and it was a shock to them when K. Rool and Isaac did so well. But instead of reconsidering their connection to their fanbase, they largely stuck with what they expected to win anyway. If you ask me, being "dead" is not a valid reason by itself to skip over the "suggestion" (but maybe that's a separate argument).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We've been over this one a bunch of times already. Lots of vets were only moderately popular at best. People wanted some vets, but not necessarily all of them, and if Sakurai determined that "Everyone is Here" was a good idea by using the ballot, then he misinterpreted what people wanted.
That's not a misinterpretation at all. That's a "every single veteran has a fanbase and they all have some requests. Let's do the best we can to please all previous fans too".

It can be fully pre-planned and still be roster padding. But either way, the main point there was that even if the Echoes were decided by the ballot, that's still not moving the needle much. They're lower-effort clones, and that's the primary reason that they're in, ballot or no. Without the ballot, maybe we would get, idk, Alph with Rock Pikmin instead of Dark Samus. But something like that makes little difference in the grand scheme of the roster construction.
Alph was never really feasible for that. Rock Pikmin was meant for Olimar. Alph was considered as a separate character. It's two separate thoughts. More importantly, the Pikmin are very important and actually are key to it. The Captains all play alike, so it's easier to keep 'em together for now. There's not a lot of new Pikmin, so splitting him off when he has to make an all new model for Rock Pikmin and figure out a way to make it work differently from Purple Pikmin is not easy in itself. There's few options till more actual physical Pikmin come out to better justify it. Dark Samus made way more sense(and was way more feasible since the model was fully there from the start. It is possible she got more requests, but it's also possible he views the Captains as too interchangeable). Basically, it's a case of "one franchise works better this way" possibly. I am not saying it's a good thing. Though do note that the proper titles for the characters are "Pikmin & Olimar" and "Pikmin & Alph". For whatever reason, the translations don't bother to do this. It's a misnomer. People only want to think the Captains are important, but it's not remotely true.

Now, I don't have a gripe with Castlevania being in the game. But I don't agree with them justifying its inclusion based on the ballot. Castlevania may have the credentials to be in Smash, but so did plenty of other characters who were, by all measures available to us, even more highly requested than Castlevania. You say it's not a competition, and maybe it's not meant to be that way, but development resources are finite. They have to weigh one character getting in vs. another one. In fact, "character slots" may actually be a thing, at least to some extent; we know Sakurai left a spot open specifically for a Pokémon both in Ultimate and in 4, and Sakurai labeled Duck Hunt as "this game's surprise character" in the project plan for 4, suggesting that he saves a spot for a surprise (this is further supported by the chain of G&W, R.O.B., and now PP). And again, not every character has to be from the ballot, so Castlevania itself isn't the issue. Trying to use Castlevania as a way to write off the issue is what we're talking about.
You can disagree with him choosing Castlevania, but it still got in as part of the ballot factor. I don't know if PP is a surprise character. There might not be one this time around. He seems more like the joke character, like what Pichu and Jigglypuff are, which is a bit different.

Character slots are very much a thing. We've known that for a while now. Sometimes series slots too(in fact, he chose Zero Suit Samus just to get another Metroid character in). One can argue some of these reasons are shallow. To be honest, I agree. Not everything is super well thought out. Despite not getting all my favorites in, though, I'm not too hung up on it, though.

I
n the quote you provided, the plural you pointed out doesn't really matter. He just says that he referred to the Ballot when selecting characters, which just means that it was a part of the process. This does not imply that anybody else actually got in because of it. And no, King K. Rool winning did not guarantee him a spot; if Shrek won I doubt they'd add him. I never meant to imply that the ballot was supposed to produce one winner; however, it just so happens that everything beyond the winner was cherry-picked.
It was always going to be cherry-picked. That's... normal for a suggestion box. You really can't expect him to only pick the most voted when there's way too many factors. A lot more goes into it than pure popularity.

And it does matter. But you missed the point of why it does. The point of what was said wasn't that it proved he chose multiple characters from it(which he did, as we have proof of a minimum of 3 at least, being Simon, Richter, and King K. Rool. With probably Chrom and Dark Damus. And very likely some of the veterans, if not all that weren't in 4). The point was that he didn't only consider it a single winner could matter. That's now how it was looked at. It was never a contest. Now I may have mispoken or gave off a wrong impression earlier. I apologize for that.

From the Iwata quote you provided earlier:
"I imagine that you have some fighters in mind yourself. Can you think of anyone you’d like to see fight against characters like Mario or Link in Super Smash Brothers? "

They absolutely branded the ballot as "who would you want to see as a PC?" and not "who would you like as a PC or Mii Costume or AT or Trophy or whatever else." Yes, non-playable representation matters and can be a good consolation prize, but that doesn't replace giving priority to characters with big-time requests when they decide the roster.
We already know that some of the Mii costumes are consolation prizes. So it mattered for that too. Basically, Sakurai used the ballot to see who a lot of characters were, and while he couldn't make all playable, he threw some fans a bone too. It's kind of simple in that regard. Do what you can with the information you have.

Also, um, how are Mii Fighters not a legitimate way to look at what Iwata said? Mii Costumes represent actual characters in many cases. You can argue the AT or Trophy/Spirit/Sticker. But Mii Fighters are pretty clear in a lot of what their purposes are. Which is having a costume to represent a normal character as best they can. Generally because they were not possible for playable otherwise.

But if they used this as justification for "Everyone is Here" then that's not from the ballot. Judging people's reactions to characters is anecdotal evidence at best; that's part of why they created the ballot, so that they'd have harder numbers to determine characters' popularity. Just because people cheered when Pichu showed up on screen doesn't mean it was a big-time request to return, especially if it didn't have the raw numbers to back it up.
You know Pichu is the Gen II mascot right? It's extremely popular. To pretend it didn't get a lot of votes is kind of silly at this point. Mascots get lots of votes. It also wasn't as unpopular as people think it was. He actually got a lot of people who liked it, and the hatebase was either clone haters or tier-related issues, not simply because of the character alone. The only Pichu of note that even gets real hate(because of the character specifically) is the notch-eared one in the actual Pokemon games due to being unable to evolve, has a terrible small movepool(4 preset moves) and awful stats.

Maybe the better analogy is "they see Phoenix Wright, Leon Kennedy, and Chun Li were the top 3 voted-on Capcom characters, and they went with Chun Li because Sakurai likes Street Fighter, even though Wright and Kennedy both had way more votes than her." Compare that to "Phoenix Wright had a slightly higher vote total than Chun Li, but for some strange reason Capcom said they wouldn't give Nintendo the rights to Phoenix Wright, so they decided on Chun Li after trying very hard to get Wright."
And both could be correct. That's overall the thing. There's too many variables and stuff we don't know. Both can happen with tons of characters.

Again, it's not about Castlevania being deserving or not. It's them trying to use Castlevania as an example of something that was "determined by the fans" when it was primarily determined based on other factors (and I'm sure its place in gaming history was one of those factors).
It has a huge place in gaming history. That's definitely a factor. Being it's the only thing Sakurai cited about the series in relation to it being added, it's pretty safe to assume he means it when he says it's the primary reason. There's little reason to believe otherwise with such a major series. A lot of major series tend to still be very active IP's, and Casltevania is one of them.

Please don't play the "dead character" card on me...I don't want to come off as disrespectful but I'm tired of it.
If anything, a "dead character" being highly requested should tell them that maybe, just maybe, fans want content from that series beyond just Smash. Adding a character from an inactive franchise doesn't necessarily make sense from a marketing perspective, sure. But if you're asking for suggestions from fans, you can't expect them to always have requests that fit with your marketing tastes. And probably they expected stuff like Cloud and Bayonetta to be the winners, and it was a shock to them when K. Rool and Isaac did so well. But instead of reconsidering their connection to their fanbase, they largely stuck with what they expected to win anyway. If you ask me, being "dead" is not a valid reason by itself to skip over the "suggestion" (but maybe that's a separate argument).
Dude, he can't add every character under the sun. Dead franchises are lower priority than active ones. It's a guideline, not a hard rule. But he has made it clear that he takes that into account. It's a real thing he considers. And it makes sense. Isaac isn't my favorite example, as I really wanted him in too, but he's a very relevant example of currently being an irrelevant character currently. But he also gave fans a consolation prize with the MIi costume and Golden Sun got a ton of other content via Spirits. So clearly he cared. If Polar is to be believed, Nintendo wasn't even aware of the major fan demand, and were surprised by the outrage of him being an AT again. I doubt it myself(I don't doubt it has content due to the ballot. That's kind of the most obvious reason to give so much, since it's the only way he could've known it's still super popular). Nintendo and Sakurai don't think alike, so that's another story, and may lead credence to Polar's claim.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Alph was never really feasible for that. Rock Pikmin was meant for Olimar. Alph was considered as a separate character. It's two separate thoughts. More importantly, the Pikmin are very important and actually are key to it. The Captains all play alike, so it's easier to keep 'em together for now. There's not a lot of new Pikmin, so splitting him off when he has to make an all new model for Rock Pikmin and figure out a way to make it work differently from Purple Pikmin is not easy in itself. There's few options till more actual physical Pikmin come out to better justify it. Dark Samus made way more sense(and was way more feasible since the model was fully there from the start. It is possible she got more requests, but it's also possible he views the Captains as too interchangeable). Basically, it's a case of "one franchise works better this way" possibly. I am not saying it's a good thing. Though do note that the proper titles for the characters are "Pikmin & Olimar" and "Pikmin & Alph". For whatever reason, the translations don't bother to do this. It's a misnomer. People only want to think the Captains are important, but it's not remotely true.
Okay, the example was bad. That's not the point. There's reasons why Dark Samus wouldn't be an Echo as well, but that's a different debate.

It was always going to be cherry-picked. That's... normal for a suggestion box. You really can't expect him to only pick the most voted when there's way too many factors. A lot more goes into it than pure popularity.

And it does matter. But you missed the point of why it does. The point of what was said wasn't that it proved he chose multiple characters from it(which he did, as we have proof of a minimum of 3 at least, being Simon, Richter, and King K. Rool. With probably Chrom and Dark Damus. And very likely some of the veterans, if not all that weren't in 4). The point was that he didn't only consider it a single winner could matter. That's now how it was looked at. It was never a contest. Now I may have mispoken or gave off a wrong impression earlier. I apologize for that.
If they were just gonna cherry-pick it from the start, what's the point of even having it? If you only have to get a handful of votes to be considered, then that's just them looking for a way to further justify what they would've picked anyway.

The point was that he didn't only consider it a single winner could matter. That's now how it was looked at. It was never a contest. Now I may have mispoken or gave off a wrong impression earlier. I apologize for that.
Ah, okay. I misinterpreted your point. Yeah they didn't mean for it to be just one winner, and I don't think that it should be just one winner. But the end result seemed to be just that, even if the route taken to get there was different. And apologies are always accepted here.

We already know that some of the Mii costumes are consolation prizes. So it mattered for that too. Basically, Sakurai used the ballot to see who a lot of characters were, and while he couldn't make all playable, he threw some fans a bone too. It's kind of simple in that regard. Do what you can with the information you have.

Also, um, how are Mii Fighters not a legitimate way to look at what Iwata said? Mii Costumes represent actual characters in many cases. You can argue the AT or Trophy/Spirit/Sticker. But Mii Fighters are pretty clear in a lot of what their purposes are. Which is having a costume to represent a normal character as best they can. Generally because they were not possible for playable otherwise.
I mean, I actually really do appreciate a lot of the Mii Costumes, namely those for Isaac, Saki, Ray, Chibi-Robo, Takamaru, and more. They are not, however, replacements for full playable characters (Isaac uses way more than sword moves, for example), and it's clear that the vast majority of people voting were voting because they wanted the grand prize, not a consolation prize. As you said, not everybody can get the grand prize, so consolation prizes are nice, but you also gotta hand out as many grand prizes as you can.

You know Pichu is the Gen II mascot right? It's extremely popular. To pretend it didn't get a lot of votes is kind of silly at this point. Mascots get lots of votes. It also wasn't as unpopular as people think it was. He actually got a lot of people who liked it, and the hatebase was either clone haters or tier-related issues, not simply because of the character alone. The only Pichu of note that even gets real hate(because of the character specifically) is the notch-eared one in the actual Pokemon games due to being unable to evolve, has a terrible small movepool(4 preset moves) and awful stats.
Again, the example I chose isn't a major part of the point. I could've put anybody there; I was trying to point out that using people's reactions to reveals as justification for popularity isn't the same as pulling hard numbers from the ballot. As a separate point, I really don't think Pichu was a big-time request to return among Smash fans and I don't think there would've been too much disappointment if it never returned. That's not to say that people hate the character itself and that's not to say that it didn't get votes, but by all measures it wasn't anywhere close to the top of the ballot.

Dude, he can't add every character under the sun. Dead franchises are lower priority than active ones. It's a guideline, not a hard rule. But he has made it clear that he takes that into account. It's a real thing he considers. And it makes sense. Isaac isn't my favorite example, as I really wanted him in too, but he's a very relevant example of currently being an irrelevant character currently. But he also gave fans a consolation prize with the MIi costume and Golden Sun got a ton of other content via Spirits. So clearly he cared. If Polar is to be believed, Nintendo wasn't even aware of the major fan demand, and were surprised by the outrage of him being an AT again. I doubt it myself(I don't doubt it has content due to the ballot. That's kind of the most obvious reason to give so much, since it's the only way he could've known it's still super popular). Nintendo and Sakurai don't think alike, so that's another story, and may lead credence to Polar's claim.
I mean, I wasn't trying to say that they should add anybody that places well. But being "dead" is (by itself) not enough to disregard an insanely high raw number of votes. Yes, Sakurai considers how active a franchise is when he makes the roster; I'm not saying that he doesn't take this into account, but I don't agree with it being taken into account as heavily as it is. There also seems to be a double standard with this in terms of Sakurai, as many NES-era characters seem to get free passes on the "dead franchise" test while others do not. I don't wanna draw unnecessary comparisons, but Castlevania, for example, is well past its prime (again I don't wanna pick on Castlevania specifically but it makes for an alright example). Of course, each NES-era rep has its own special reasons for being in the game, but there's no denying that this era is catered to way more when it comes to "retro" or "inactive" characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay, the example was bad. That's not the point. There's reasons why Dark Samus wouldn't be an Echo as well, but that's a different debate.
Nah, it was pretty much her only shot either way.

If they were just gonna cherry-pick it from the start, what's the point of even having it? If you only have to get a handful of votes to be considered, then that's just them looking for a way to further justify what they would've picked anyway.
That's not how cherry-picking even works. Of course they have biases. That's normal. But they didn't have any actual things behind it. Sure, it's confirmation bias in a way.

Ah, okay. I misinterpreted your point. Yeah they didn't mean for it to be just one winner, and I don't think that it should be just one winner. But the end result seemed to be just that, even if the route taken to get there was different. And apologies are always accepted here.
We have anywhere from 3-5, plus Costumes, so... and the end result didn't seem that way at all. We got at least 3 cited without Costumes.

I mean, I actually really do appreciate a lot of the Mii Costumes, namely those for Isaac, Saki, Ray, Chibi-Robo, Takamaru, and more. They are not, however, replacements for full playable characters (Isaac uses way more than sword moves, for example), and it's clear that the vast majority of people voting were voting because they wanted the grand prize, not a consolation prize. As you said, not everybody can get the grand prize, so consolation prizes are nice, but you also gotta hand out as many grand prizes as you can.
Around 5 at least as "grand prizes" is pretty good, to be honest. But keep in mind a costume, AT, and playable character are all treated as pretty important things by Sakurai. He's aware many are bigger, but those other things are pretty much still strong prizes. When he chooses AT's, he doesn't view it as some weak representation. So Isaac coming back is still a pretty big deal for what it is, even getting updates.

Again, the example I chose isn't a major part of the point. I could've put anybody there; I was trying to point out that using people's reactions to reveals as justification for popularity isn't the same as pulling hard numbers from the ballot. As a separate point, I really don't think Pichu was a big-time request to return among Smash fans and I don't think there would've been too much disappointment if it never returned. That's not to say that people hate the character itself and that's not to say that it didn't get votes, but by all measures it wasn't anywhere close to the top of the ballot.
You're vastly underestimating it's popularity. If it was the only one left out, it's definitely matter. I do agree it wouldn't be near the top as there's far more popular, but it's still a big deal on its own. Mid-range, at the bare minimum. No vet is without a pretty big amount of fans. This is why Dr. Mario became a clone in 4 instead of being an alt. Because of having a fanbase that he appreciates. Just like the rest.

I mean, I wasn't trying to say that they should add anybody that places well. But being "dead" is (by itself) not enough to disregard an insanely high raw number of votes. Yes, Sakurai considers how active a franchise is when he makes the roster; I'm not saying that he doesn't take this into account, but I don't agree with it being taken into account as heavily as it is. There also seems to be a double standard with this in terms of Sakurai, as many NES-era characters seem to get free passes on the "dead franchise" test while others do not. I don't wanna draw unnecessary comparisons, but Castlevania, for example, is well past its prime (again I don't wanna pick on Castlevania specifically but it makes for an alright example). Of course, each NES-era rep has its own special reasons for being in the game, but there's no denying that this era is catered to way more when it comes to "retro" or "inactive" characters.
The thing is, we don't know if Isaac did nearly that well. Castlevania is hardly past its prime and is still one of the most popular franchises to this day. It literally just had one awful game(the pachinko game, Erotic Fantasy) and an extremely successful animated series. It's doing more than fine for itself.

He went with the two most popular Belmonts for both sides of the seas(due to how Richter is far more popular than Simon in the East, and not many known Richter in the West in comparison) to please both sets of fans. One can argue it was also a retro set of characters, but jury's out on that one.

Also, retro means retroactive and can have more than one way to look at. He clearly has a bias for NES-era stuff. Maybe that's not a good thing, but every retro ties back to that era... and sometimes actually from that system too. If not only from that one. I won't argue it's a good idea, however, I will note that Sonic is a decent exception to this... but only cause he debuted on an SNES-era game, the Sega Genesis/Megadrive. His battle style and design is based upon the Classic games, with barely any Modern references(only ones now are Homing Attack due to the design lifted from the Unleashed Era, where it shows a reticle in front of the target, and his Down Air is pretty much Shadow Rocket from Sonic Battle. Otherwise, it's the classic era, which despite Sonic The Fighters being 3D, it had nothing to do with the Modern designs(easy way to tell is which version of Amy being used).

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think the big thing mistake when looking at the ballot is assuming that any character got in for only one reason. Every character that was selected have multiple things going for them and many different factors that played into their selection. Sakurai has even said told us about his 3 criteria for inclusion but I'd bet it goes beyond even that. So instead of looking at the ballot as "okay this guy won so now he is in" instead its more of a "okay this guy won so add that to his pro list." Then I'm sure the many characters that are considered have their pros and cons weighed and the final selection is based on that. i.e.

King K. Rool
+Very high on ballot (possible winner)
+Potential for fun and unique moveset
+Represents a series currently underrepresented
+Has a unique style or look that is memorable
-Not from a recent game
-Mostly popular overseas (not 100% sure on this but this is all hypothetical anyway)

So they do this for every character they are considering and then use it to finalize the roster. So while saying that they used the ballot is likely a PR move to make it seem like they are listening to the fans I 100% bet that they did factor it into their decision and that every feasible character was at least considered in the same way I just did K. Rool. Castlevania was likely selected because on top of doing well on the ballot it also had many other things going for it, like it has been suggested several times here. If a character had not done well on the ballot I would bet that that would weigh against them when Sakurai and his team are considering them.

So you can't say "how did this guy get in when I know so and so did better on the ballot?" without knowing what other factors were at play.

I was always under the assumption that Pichu would be better if it came back. And it is, people are just biased against it because they want Pokemon to be represented by just Pikachu and three fully evolved "bad-*****" that are awkward to play as.

Likewise with Young Link, this was the best time to bring it back. Toon Link never inherited all his differences while acquiring his own, and the regular Link has been remixed to match BotW.

Of course, this is all gonna fall on deaf ears because roster Thanoses don't care about actually playing the game, just staring at the roster.
While clearly you fall into the small category of fans who would be upset by their removal there is no denying that while Young Link is different than the other two Links we still have three Links, which if you asked 100 Smash fans if they would rather have three Links or two Links and a third character 90 would select the later. Don't assume that people want cuts just to make cuts, in an ideal world there would be no need but since each character added takes a spot from someone else to suggest that anything more than a minority would have chosen Young Link and Pichu over other options given the choices is silly.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Is this some "If we didn't have a clone we could totally have a unique character" BS?
Except he isn't an echo, he has a different character model which would have had to been designed from scratch. Therefore he 100% required more work than echos and can't be counted that way. If he was an echo and it was clear he didn't take a full slot that would be a whole different story (of course then there would be the discussion why we needed another Link to be a Link echo on top of a Link semi-clone in Toon Link).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Except he isn't an echo, he has a different character model which would have had to been designed from scratch. Therefore he 100% required more work than echos and can't be counted that way. If he was an echo and it was clear he didn't take a full slot that would be a whole different story (of course then there would be the discussion why we needed another Link to be a Link echo on top of a Link semi-clone in Toon Link).
Whether or not a clone is labeled as an echo has no meaning on how much work they took. Dr. Mario still has tons of recycled Mario animations, Young Link is probably using Smash 4 Link animations, and Pichu is clearly based off SSBU's Pikachu with 4's nair.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Whether or not a clone is labeled as an echo has no meaning on how much work they took. Dr. Mario still has tons of recycled Mario animations, Young Link is probably using Smash 4 Link animations, and Pichu is clearly based off SSBU's Pikachu with 4's nair.
Unless you have a quote somewhere that says that you can't make those assumptions, all we know for sure is that echos take less time. Anyone beyond that can be reasonably assumed to take similar time.

While Mario and Dr. Mario are pretty close in shape Young Link and Pichu's models are significantly different from their counterpart's so its highly doubtful that they could just go grab Link's old moves and slap them on Young Link.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Unless you have a quote somewhere that says that you can't make those assumptions, all we know for sure is that echos take less time. Anyone beyond that can be reasonably assumed to take similar time.

While Mario and Dr. Mario are pretty close in shape Young Link and Pichu's models are significantly different from their counterpart's so its highly doubtful that they could just go grab Link's old moves and slap them on Young Link.
Mario got a new down smash, and Dr. Mario can be seen doing it as well.
Pichu is unironically being considered a top tier because it inherited the things that are making Pikachu one.
Young Link was already built out of recycled animations.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
Why does it matter if the animators did or did not copy animations from other characters. They are still different enough to have different combos, different combos, different tech, ect. The Links are literally the same dude across different timelines, Dr. Mario is just Mario with a lab coat on, and Pichu is literally Pikachu as a kid. Seriously its not wrong to copy over animations from other characters or from other games, it happens all the time. Why the absolute **** do we need to **** on Nintendo for that?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Mario got a new down smash, and Dr. Mario can be seen doing it as well.
Pichu is unironically being considered a top tier because it inherited the things that are making Pikachu one.
Young Link was already built out of recycled animations.
None of that affects development time. Young Link uses the same moveset but because their models are so different everything has to be reanimated. There is a reason they chose to define an echo as someone who shares the same model because it means they can reuse things from their counterpart. To that end the assumption would be that if they don't share the same model then they can't reuse anything.

What we do know is that Sakurai told us that adding the veterans meant we got fewer newcomers so we can assume that they took about the same time newcomers took, we also know how they classify echo fighters from interviews and that they don't consider Pichu, Young Link, or Dr Mario as such so they must have taken more time.

Why does it matter if the animators did or did not copy animations from other characters. They are still different enough to have different combos, different combos, different tech, ect. The Links are literally the same dude across different timelines, Dr. Mario is just Mario with a lab coat on, and Pichu is literally Pikachu as a kid. Seriously its not wrong to copy over animations from other characters or from other games, it happens all the time. Why the absolute **** do we need to **** on Nintendo for that?
At no point was I dumping on Nintendo here. I personally love the idea of echo fighters in so much that they allow for additional fighters with much less dev time, but that isn't what we're talking about here. What I am talking about is the fact that Young Link, Pichu, and Dr Mario are not echos so they likely took the same amount of development time as a fully unique fighter while being just a step above echos themselves. My whole statement is that most of the Smash fanbase, if given the option, would probably be fine if we didn't get those three back and got unique fighters in their place.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Nah, it was pretty much her only shot either way.
Oops, my wording was bad. I meant to say that some people were saying that Dark Samus couldn't be an Echo because she has a lot of abilities that are different from Samus'. But yeah, if she wasn't an Echo she wouldn't be in, and that's part of the argument. It's much easier for them to listen to fans on clones, and the Echo choices somewhat increase the validity of fan polls, since they line up with the Echo choices on those polls. But listening on clones isn't the same as listening on uniques.

We have anywhere from 3-5, plus Costumes, so... and the end result didn't seem that way at all. We got at least 3 cited without Costumes.
But the argument is that most of those were either easy clones or characters that happened to line up with what they would've done anyway. The waters are pretty muddy on everyone but K. Rool. Of course, characters are gonna have multiple reasons for getting in, but if a character isn't at or near the top of the ballot then it's hard to justify that choice based on votes. Yes, other factors may have made it a more attractive choice to Sakurai but if the other factors overrode the raw results of the ballot, then the ballot isn't the real reason that they're in the game.

----

Our disagreements on Pichu and Isaac mainly seem to stem from our differences in how much we trust the polls. If you give the polls any time of day, it's pretty universal that Isaac did really well worldwide and Pichu did mediocre at best.

---------------

On clones, it absolutely does take a considerable amount of effort to make a clone, just less than a full PC. I don't know where the source for this is, but IIRC they said in the Brawl era that Wolf took about 70% of the effort that it would've taken to make Krystal. That is less work, but it's far from nothing. Granted, Wolf is closer to a full unique than Young Link or Pichu. But the point is that even semiclones still take up significant dev time. IMO it's hard to justify Pichu and Young Link when Pokemon already make up more than a tenth of the roster and we already have two other Links. And Dr. Mario was the product of a weird situation in Melee when they needed a bunch of clones to pad the roster and make up for a short dev cycle. There's a reason that a lot of them were dropped in Brawl; they're just not that important to the overall roster makeup and only got picked in the first place because of a unique situation. IMO a nice compromise for Dr. Mario would be a Mario alt costume. And really, if dumping YL, Pichu, and Doc only got us a mostly unique Dixie, I'd take it no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom