• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think Ryu and Crash are quite obviously different cases. Lots of Street Fighter games have been (and are still being) released on Nintendo consoles, while Crash is famous as a Sony mascot, later multiplatform appearances nonwithstanding.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Ryu and Crash are quite obviously different cases. Lots of Street Fighter games have been (and are still being) released on Nintendo consoles, while Crash is famous as a Sony mascot, later multiplatform appearances nonwithstanding.
You're being incredibly inconsistent. Why are Ryu's multiplat games considered reasons for him, while Crash's are worth writing off? Between the GBA titles, the N. Sane Trilogy port, Wrath of Cortex, and the Titans/Mutant games, Crash has had more games on Nintendo consoles than he's had games exclusive to Sony.

Or should Sonic not be in because he was a Dreamcast/Saturn/Genesis mascot?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
You're being incredibly inconsistent. Why are Ryu's multiplat games considered reasons for him, while Crash's are worth writing off? Between the GBA titles, the N. Sane Trilogy port, Wrath of Cortex, and the Titans/Mutant games, Crash has had more games on Nintendo consoles than he's had games exclusive to Sony.

Tbh the main reason I just don't want him is because I still view him as a Sony character. He may have some spin offs on Nintendo platforms and his main games may be getting ported, but they're also being ported to everything. If you bring up Cloud as a counter argument I'd say that he represents the Final Fantasy series which has a long running history with Nintendo and if you bring up Ryu I'll say that he's a great representative of Street Fighter which is a classic series. Crash, to me, doesn't hold the clout that other third party reps do plain and simple. He's only recently been wanted by others due to his main games getting ported to the Switch and to me he represents Sony gaming childhoods more than Nintendo and Sony already has their own fighting game where he belongs. If you can't accept that then I dunno what to tell you.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Seriously, Smash has ceased to be a 'Nintendo showcase' and I don't see why people would prefer it stay that way really unless it was purely for the hope of seeing their less relevant Nintendo character succeed (ignore my signature:p). Smash has so much more potential as a clash of gaming titans, and a clash of genres. Naturally Nintendo and other companies aren't going to prefer to do that, and Nintendo isn't going to want to put their money in to share their stage with every publisher in the world, but why should we care as the fans about Nintendo prefering to promote their games first when we could instead have other deserving characters

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Tbh the main reason I just don't want him is because I still view him as a Sony character. He may have some spin offs on Nintendo platforms and his main games may be getting ported, but they're also being ported to everything. If you bring up Cloud as a counter argument I'd say that he represents the Final Fantasy series which has a long running history with Nintendo and if you bring up Ryu I'll say that he's a great representative of Street Fighter which is a classic series. Crash, to me, doesn't hold the clout that other third party reps do plain and simple. He's only recently been wanted by others due to his main games getting ported to the Switch and to me he represents Sony gaming childhoods more than Nintendo and Sony already has their own fighting game where he belongs. If you can't accept that then I dunno what to tell you.
Crash has literally never been owned by Sony though, so it's a matter of flawed perception. He was third party from the start. PlayStation had exclusivity over the first three games, but even then the character was owned by Universal until they sold him to Activision.

And Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity went multiplat (though Twinsanity's GameCube port got cancelled), so it wasn't solely spin offs. Those two were main series Crash titles.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Crash has literally never been owned by Sony though, so it's a matter of flawed perception. He was third party from the start. PlayStation had exclusivity over the first three games, but even then the character was owned by Universal until they sold him to Activision.

And Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity went multiplat (though Twinsanity's GameCube port got cancelled), so it wasn't solely spin offs. Those two were main series Crash titles.
He gets a new game and we can talk. Otherwise I'm not into him.

D

Deleted member

Blah blah blah "if you bring up Cloud" blah blah blah "if you bring up Ryu" blah blah blah.

Well then, what about :snake:?

And no, him not being in Smash 4 is irrelevant. He still got in Smash in the first place despite having far less of a Nintendo connection than Crash.
Can't even use his series as an excuse. I mean hell, we actually GOT a Metal Gear character in PlayStation's fighter (that's never getting a sequel, btw). The series has a much bigger presence on the PlayStation systems than anywhere else.

And Metal Gear didn't really hit it big until after Crash existed, so "classic series" is out the window.

So go ahead. What fabricated excuse can you make up for Snake that invalidates Crash?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Honestly, I think it’s a matter of perception. Ryu is more commonly seen as a console agnostic gaming icon, with his most iconic entry being on a Nintendo console. Crash, on the other hand, is seen as a Sony mascot (if not THE Sony mascot) for his early exclusive titles.

Just to be clear, I’m not against Crash in Smash (he could certainly play up the rivalry aspect like Sonic did), it’s just that I really can’t see them the same way.

Seriously, Smash has ceased to be a 'Nintendo showcase' and I don't see why people would prefer it stay that way really unless it was purely for the hope of seeing their less relevant Nintendo character succeed (ignore my signature:p). Smash has so much more potential as a clash of gaming titans, and a clash of genres. Naturally Nintendo and other companies aren't going to prefer to do that, and Nintendo isn't going to want to put their money in to share their stage with every publisher in the world, but why should we care as the fans about Nintendo prefering to promote their games first when we could instead have other deserving characters
Hope the devs don’t share that mindset. I like my third party characters, but they’ve always been nothing more than guests to me.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Hope the devs don’t share that mindset. I like my third party characters, but they’ve always been nothing more than guests to me.
But why? Is it just because they're surrounded by Nintendo characters? Or do you prefer them to stay as guests because you're a Nintendo fan? I just don't see how anybody without an outside bias is prefering to see less big gaming icons.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
While I don't share the sentiment myself, I can at least see the point to be made that the more third-party characters we get, the less "special" they start seeming. Going into future Smash games from Brawl, it never really seemed feasible that there would be more than a handful added (much less returning from game to game), whereas nowadays the desire for both several returning and numerous new third parties seems almost a given ("we should expect at least ____ amount" vs the previous "wouldn't it be great if we got even a couple?").

That all said, I do think the times have changed, and the original "Nintendo's All Stars" mentality has shifted to the "celebration of gaming/fanservice" one that we more or less had at the climax of Smash 4's DLC. I would never want to discount characters just on the principle alone, specifically when I care more about gameplay than "representation/legacy."

David James

Smash Cadet
It took me three hours to study this whole thread. I apologize for abruptly coming in this conversation but I have something to say, if you'll lend me your eyes and a moment of your time. Smash newcomers are a way for people to become excited.

Regardless of what we may believe or "know" who made us the judge and executioner of other people's dreams. Since we don't know the circumstances of people wanting a character, (example:crash bandicoot might have been a last gift from a parting relative.) We shouldn't hate other people's opinions. We should delight in them as smash is a celebration. For those that want a nintendo all-stars game, you will all have melee, nay smash 64. However the world is a diffrent place now, it is hard and cynical and has evolved and I'm afraid we must evolve with it. Every character we gain is a familymember we gain, we might not appreciate how loud or brash they are, but alas with all things we only truly miss them when their gone(ice climbers). We should do our best to cherish and hold on to what characters we have, but not shy away from inviting new ones. I know I have said a lot, but I pray some of you will heed my words and rethink your hatred towards a fellow smasher's character suggestions

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I'm just really stubborn in the end lol. Grew up as an only child so my stubbornness and unwillingness to compromise has stayed with me ever since. After reflecting and getting over myself Crash would fit in with the rest of the characters in the game and it would be nice to see a clash of gaming icons with Crash included.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But why? Is it just because they're surrounded by Nintendo characters? Or do you prefer them to stay as guests because you're a Nintendo fan? I just don't see how anybody without an outside bias is prefering to see less big gaming icons.
That’s pretty much it, I’m a Nintendo fan and I still see Smash as a celebration of Nintendo (as outdated as that perception might be). That said, I have never found a reason to complain about the third party characters that have been in Smash and there are still lots that I would like to see make it. Just hope they don’t start neglecting their own history.

I’m probably just complaining about a hypothetical situation which might not even bother me if it does happen.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
That’s pretty much it, I’m a Nintendo fan and I still see Smash as a celebration of Nintendo (as outdated as that perception might be). That said, I have never found a reason to complain about the third party characters that have been in Smash and there are still lots that I would like to see make it. Just hope they don’t start neglecting their own history.

I’m probably just complaining about a hypothetical situation which might not even bother me if it does happen.
Yeah that's how I felt too. I was so excited to see Mega Man, Pac Man, and Sonic in Smash as classic gaming icons because of their rich history in the industry that I forgot about characters like Cloud that I went absolutely ballistic over with hype when he was announced just because it was so unexpected.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah that's how I felt too. I was so excited to see Mega Man, Pac Man, and Sonic in Smash as classic gaming icons because of their rich history in the industry that I forgot about characters like Cloud that I went absolutely ballistic over with hype when he was announced just because it was so unexpected.
That is the inherent issue this time around, the only Nintendo characters that would hype me up are longtime favorites that are deemed "impossible" because of their lack of relevance, Ridley, and... Waluigi, I guess? Other than that, nothing would give me that hyped sensation that makes me feel like a child other than third-party characters.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Nintendo has so many unexplored properties still. Every third party feels like it's stealing the chance for a forgotten Nintendo series to shine. Most people have no idea Nintendo owns a horror IP, let alone two. Let that shine. Most people have no idea Nintendo put out a trilogy of handheld RPGs that are much closer to the standard Final Fantasy formula than Pokemon or Earthbound while still having that Nintendo charm. Let that shine too. Most people don't know Nintendo has some amazingly charming and deep puzzle games. Seriously, this shining a light on forgotten Nintendo franchises and giving them a chance to be discovered is something that has never stopped being what Smash is.

I can guarantee you people discovered F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Earthbound, Punch-Out, Xenoblade, Pikmin, etc through Smash (because I personally know people who were introduced to each of these through Smash and became big fans).

I know Smash is rapidly losing the Nintendo Museum feel, but I think it's valid to still want that. Honestly, I really want Nintendo to split the franchise. Give it two separate dev teams and have each version get roughly one release per generation. Super Smash can be 90% Nintendo, 10% guests, all of whom are relevant to Nintendo. Smash Guest Edition can be 50+% 3rd party. I know it'll never happen, but that's my dream and it would make everyone happy.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Ryu in Smash was heavily based on Street Fighter 2 even having similar sound effects for attacks.

While I don't share the sentiment myself, I can at least see the point to be made that the more third-party characters we get, the less "special" they start seeming. Going into future Smash games from Brawl, it never really seemed feasible that there would be more than a handful added (much less returning from game to game), whereas nowadays the desire for both several returning and numerous new third parties seems almost a given ("we should expect at least ____ amount" vs the previous "wouldn't it be great if we got even a couple?").

That all said, I do think the times have changed, and the original "Nintendo's All Stars" mentality has shifted to the "celebration of gaming/fanservice" one that we more or less had at the climax of Smash 4's DLC. I would never want to discount characters just on the principle alone, specifically when I care more about gameplay than "representation/legacy."
What, characters getting less special overtime. If only some genius was telling people that months ago.

To the second point, I disagree. One of the things I've seen more often is people saying how they want less guest characters (heck, thats the person above me). It was once completely uncommon (basically just me). Now I'm seeing it more and more to where its actively being discussed. It should be noted as well that Sakurai responded to complaints that there wasn't enough Nintendo characters. What I see is that there are folks who want Smash to be about Nintendo and some who want the games to be their personal MUGAN

When you step back and look at everything, there are a few problems with guest characters. First, who can you add? There is no Sonic, or Megaman or even Final Fantasy. If you look at opinion polls or discussion, you see a few characters, but no one that sticks out. No one has that broad appeals. This is probably why Inkling was the lead in character because they were the most popular. Next would probably be K Rool or Ridley. Next, would a new guest really be surprising? At this point, people are expecting those characters, so how can you really surprise anyone. It would be more surprising to add Ridley as people are doubting he'd be in.

I think a lot of people want to look at now as if it was the Sonic and Megaman days. Those big name characters are kind of gone. I mean, heck, you all are looking at B tier characters like Rayman and Crash. This is, in part, why I say there will be a scaling back.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He gets a new game and we can talk. Otherwise I'm not into him.
You don't have to be into him, but your singular perception doesn't change the facts.

Honestly, I think it’s a matter of perception. Ryu is more commonly seen as a console agnostic gaming icon, with his most iconic entry being on a Nintendo console. Crash, on the other hand, is seen as a Sony mascot (if not THE Sony mascot) for his early exclusive titles.

Just to be clear, I’m not against Crash in Smash (he could certainly play up the rivalry aspect like Sonic did), it’s just that I really can’t see them the same way.
So? We've had Cloud and Snake. Do you think fans preconception of the character's allegiance is going to hinder the businesses from a mutually beneficial addition, should they be so inclined? It hasn't in the past.

I can empathize with that perspective, but that's not the direction Smash is moving in. So there's not much point in digging your heels into that mentality, we're all still getting dragged along this path.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So? We've had Cloud and Snake. Do you think fans preconception of the character's allegiance is going to hinder the businesses from a mutually beneficial addition, should they be so inclined? It hasn't in the past.
You got me there. I never saw them as Sony icons (maybe Cloud, though not to the level of Crash; I got to know Metal Gear through the NES port of the original), but most people do, I guess, and they still got in.

I can empathize with that perspective, but that's not the direction Smash is moving in. So there's not much point in digging your heels into that mentality, we're all still getting dragged along this path.
Yeah, there’s nothing that can make me quit on Smash. Well, there are probably some things that would make me quit, but they’re really beyond the realm of probability.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Ryu in Smash was heavily based on Street Fighter 2 even having similar sound effects for attacks.

What, characters getting less special overtime. If only some genius was telling people that months ago.

To the second point, I disagree. One of the things I've seen more often is people saying how they want less guest characters (heck, thats the person above me). It was once completely uncommon (basically just me). Now I'm seeing it more and more to where its actively being discussed. It should be noted as well that Sakurai responded to complaints that there wasn't enough Nintendo characters. What I see is that there are folks who want Smash to be about Nintendo and some who want the games to be their personal MUGAN

When you step back and look at everything, there are a few problems with guest characters. First, who can you add? There is no Sonic, or Megaman or even Final Fantasy. If you look at opinion polls or discussion, you see a few characters, but no one that sticks out. No one has that broad appeals. This is probably why Inkling was the lead in character because they were the most popular. Next would probably be K Rool or Ridley. Next, would a new guest really be surprising? At this point, people are expecting those characters, so how can you really surprise anyone. It would be more surprising to add Ridley as people are doubting he'd be in.

I think a lot of people want to look at now as if it was the Sonic and Megaman days. Those big name characters are kind of gone. I mean, heck, you all are looking at B tier characters like Rayman and Crash. This is, in part, why I say there will be a scaling back.
You bring up a great point. Rayman and Crash, while popular, are frankly nowhere near as popular as Mega Man or Sonic, and imo once those A-list third parties are added (which they have been, plus Bayonetta), you should just stop adding third parties, as this is, at the end of the day, a Nintendo fighter. It's one thing to add a b-tier character or a smaller third-party with a strong Nintendo presence (Bayonetta, and heck, even Mega Man isn't as iconic as Sonic or Pac Man but is a Nintendo icon). It's another thing to add a b-tier third party character like Rayman, Crash, and Spyro to a game that's primarily for Nintendo characters.

That being said, I also dislike this argument since it means Minecraft Steve would get in over all these guys.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

It's 'MUGEN'.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Cloud is from a series iconic to Nintendo platforms, even if his particular game wasn't on N64. Snake was because Sakurai is close friends with Kojima, and as Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus has shown us, Sakurai bias would still trump all.

The chances of this bias working for western third-parties, who never had a precedent of appearing in the game to begin with, is very unlikely, however.

In general, I'm always on the fence about Western character in Smash period. Think about how long it took for Diddy, the only western character on the roster, to be playable, and how we still haven't gotten K. Rool or Dixie Kong yet despite being requested heavily.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You bring up a great point. Rayman and Crash, while popular, are frankly nowhere near as popular as Mega Man or Sonic, and imo once those A-list third parties are added (which they have been, plus Bayonetta), you should just stop adding third parties, as this is, at the end of the day, a Nintendo fighter. It's one thing to add a b-tier character or a smaller third-party with a strong Nintendo presence (Bayonetta, and heck, even Mega Man isn't as iconic as Sonic or Pac Man but is a Nintendo icon). It's another thing to add a b-tier third party character like Rayman, Crash, and Spyro to a game that's primarily for Nintendo characters.

That being said, I also dislike this argument since it means Minecraft Steve would get in over all these guys.
I think you make a good point. Basically, don't add a guest for the sake of doing it (which is the exact opposite of what everyone else is suggesting). That would be my thought as well. Another way to look at it is don't spoil a good thing. Adding weak guest makes the whole thing less interesting.

My expectation is that if they add guest characters, it would be to promote characters over anything else. Only thing I could see is Octopath Traveler as its being heavily promoted by Nintendo (not sure if they are involved in the production at all).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Cloud is from a series iconic to Nintendo platforms, even if his particular game wasn't on N64. Snake was because Sakurai is close friends with Kojima, and as Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus has shown us, Sakurai bias would still trump all.

The chances of this bias working for western third-parties, who never had a precedent of appearing in the game to begin with, is very unlikely, however.

In general, I'm always on the fence about Western character in Smash period. Think about how long it took for Diddy, the only western character on the roster, to be playable, and how we still haven't gotten K. Rool or Dixie Kong yet despite being requested heavily.
Yeah, I'm sure you would've been defending Cloud prior to his inclusion.

Even disregarding that Crash has supported Nintendo systems pretty well for the better part of the last two decades, he was in a game on the Switch that literally crossed over with Nintendo characters last year, you don't think people would be able to find some "extenuating loophole" for him as well? At a certain point you've got to piece all these loopholes together and realize it's not each character somehow detouring around a rule, it's that the rule doesn't exist in the first place.

And also there's just a bunch of misinformation floating around in that post. People throw "bias" around whenever overrepresentation is perceived. It used to be Kirby and Star Fox, now it's Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem. If Sakurai were biased, don't you think the bias wouldn't be inconsistent? That's not how bias works. As for Diddy, apart from the original roster, he was made playable as soon as he wasn't immobilized by Rare-related litigation. Why do you think he didn't even have a trophy in Melee? The whole western argument seems like another fan rule on the verge of collapse.

I think you make a good point. Basically, don't add a guest for the sake of doing it (which is the exact opposite of what everyone else is suggesting). That would be my thought as well. Another way to look at it is don't spoil a good thing. Adding weak guest makes the whole thing less interesting.

My expectation is that if they add guest characters, it would be to promote characters over anything else. Only thing I could see is Octopath Traveler as its being heavily promoted by Nintendo (not sure if they are involved in the production at all).
I mean you say for the sake of doing it, others say because they're iconic gaming characters, and the truth is because it helps sell the game.

And once it stops aiding in sales, which likely will be no time soon, is when you'll see it curtail.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Just like to say if people think that Smash should become something that celebrates all of gaming and not just Nintndo, then characters like Shulk, Ness and Ike wouldn't fit anymore, cause they would have no place in a fighter that celebrates all video-game history.

Also we do have 3rd party characters that are at the level of Sonic/Megaman demand, and the obvious 2 are Bomberman and Simon Belmont. Plus after Ryu was added a lot of people starting thinking Ryu Hyabusa would be cool, since he's a character from a major 3rd party, though a Dynasty Wrrior could happen first, but he's also iconic from a series that is famous for, for lack of a better term let's go with what tvtropes calls; Nintendo hard.

Anyway someone said Sakurai commented on the fandom's comments oft the lack of Nintendo character DLC? Cause if he did I'd like the quote, andI'm sure he'd address this criticism in the upcoming Switch game. Either way the ballot will have given him plenty of ideas for newcomers, either with series in Smash, like people asking for Ashely from Warioware or non-represented series like Dillion's Rolling Western.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I find it interesting that people seemingly just hard stop 'iconic' and 'popular' at the advent of 3D. Could it be that was when Nintendo was no longer the undisputed console king? :thinking:

Seriously, I get that this will be a Nintendo biased forum but at least try to reign it in when claiming that there's 'hard cutoffs'

David James

Smash Cadet
Whether people like it or not, roster expansion come down to what will drive sales and what the devs want in. The people that still want smash to be a nintendo all stars game are a shrinking minority. Nintendo Switch is a diffrent ecosystem that caters to hardcore fans and casuals. I'm glad for the 4 people(hyperbole) who bought a wii u, but understand that 3rd party characters will only excite and drive sales. Nintendo is a company first and has take the path of least resistance. You can have your ninntendo all stars game by playing melee or 64, but your groveling will not hinder progress.

Starlight_Lily

I find it interesting that people seemingly just hard stop 'iconic' and 'popular' at the advent of 3D. Could it be that was when Nintendo was no longer the undisputed console king? :thinking:

Seriously, I get that this will be a Nintendo biased forum but at least try to reign it in when claiming that there's 'hard cutoffs'
Eh, I think its more do with that after the N64 era, people find it hard to place iconic characters in video-games at the level of Sonic/Mario, cause the internet has done a good job of causing vocal minorities and echo chambers to emerge.

Plus something some people need to realise is popular in the USA does not mean popular in Europe and Japan, so while a game series like Dark Souls is well known in the USA, it may only be a well liked cult classic in Japan.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
*points and laughs.*

On a more substantive note: I dunno about you guys, but I'm going to enjoy sitting here not making a fool outta myself trying to assert that I know as much or more than a game's creator about how or why they include things.

It's fine to wonder, but when you assume, you make an ass outta you and me.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

David James

Smash Cadet
Ice climbers is basically confirmed, peolle need to get it in their head that ice climbers are coming back
My personal choices would be
Shantae(popular indie character)
Shovel Knight (the face of indie gaming)
Minecraft Steve (from one of the best selling games)
Banjo (head of microsoft is willing)
Crash (another platforming rival like sonic megaman or pac-man)
Lyn(was going to be in melee but sakurai didn't think a female character much less a fire emblem character could do well, roy took her place)
Bomberman(classic character would be cool to see)
Ridley (original ridley is not too big prime ridley is)
King k rool(people have been asking for him)
Arms rep(very likely)
Waluigi(same as king k rool)
Doomguy(cause meme culture)
Issac(its now or never)
Exitebike(take that wario bike mechanic to the next level)
Advance wars commander(like pokemon trainer but with different classes of troops)
Captain rainbow(if you have to think of a reason, you've never played captain rainbow)
Nintendog(cause beating up a sentient apes, pocket monsters and duck hunt dog is not far enough)
Tamukaru
Captain toad
Tom nook
K.K Slider

Think of this like a bingo card, or a semi-serious list.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Eh, I think its more do with that after the N64 era, people find it hard to place iconic characters in video-games at the level of Sonic/Mario, cause the internet has done a good job of causing vocal minorities and echo chambers to emerge.

Plus something some people need to realise is popular in the USA does not mean popular in Europe and Japan, so while a game series like Dark Souls is well known in the USA, it may only be a well liked cult classic in Japan.
If I'm being more serious then the reason comes down to lacking pioneers. Game design was starting to be figured out and because it was all moving at such a breakneck pace being the first popular game to do something was more important than being the one to refine it. Without people commonly recognising 'eras' of game design it all just mixes together. People remember popular games but they struggle to remember what made it unique unless it was the first time they experienced it.

I think I just said the same thing 3 times.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lyn(was going to be in melee but sakurai didn't think a female character much less a fire emblem character could do well, roy took her place)
This is literally completely wrong.

Lyn didn't even exist until long after the Melee roster was decided. She debuted in the game after Roy's, and Roy's game wasn't even out yet. She was literally never even possible for Melee. I don't know where you got this from.

David James

Smash Cadet
This is literally completely wrong.

Lyn didn't even exist until long after the Melee roster was decided. She debuted in the game after Roy's, and Roy's game wasn't even out yet. She was literally never even possible for Melee. I don't know where you got this from.
Fire emblem 7 came "after" melee(fe 7 realease date april 21, melee release date november 21) I'm not sure how you could see that, Lyn was going to be used to promote the new game, similair to corrin being in smash 4 to promote fates. Fire emblem was finally coming to US hence smash realeasing the same time as the NA version of FE7

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Fire emblem 7 came "after" melee(fe 7 realease date april 21, melee release date november 21) I'm not sure how you could see that, Lyn was going to be used to promote the new game, similair to corrin being in smash 4 to promote fates. Fire emblem was finally coming to US hence smash realeasing the same time as the NA version of FE7
Melee was released in 2001, FE7 was released in 2003. Lyn never had a chance at getting into Melee, she didn't exist yet.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Blazing Blade came out in spring of 2003, while Melee came out in November 2001. Considering Roy's game, The Binding Blade, didn't come out until 2002, meaning Roy was in Smash BEFORE HIS GAME CAME OUT, there is literally no way Lyn could have been planned for Melee. She didn't exist yet.

FE7 came out nearly two years after Melee.

David James

Smash Cadet
Blazing Blade came out in spring of 2003, while Melee came out in November 2001. Considering Roy's game, The Binding Blade, didn't come out until 2002, meaning Roy was in Smash BEFORE HIS GAME CAME OUT, there is literally no way Lyn could have been planned for Melee. She didn't exist yet.

FE7 came out nearly two years after Melee.
Oh, sorry I didn't see that. I just heard somewhere lyn was going to be in smash, maybe it was supposed to be brawl. My bad, I thought fe 7 came out in 2001

I still want lyn in though. I forgot to say Ezio from assassins creed due to nintendo's better relationship with ubisoft, and maybe rayman or the rabbids

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom