• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchess

Smash Lord
How so?

Characters aren't picked for what they represent. I suggest you check Sakurai's list of criteria.

Let's see...
  • K. Rool: MIA since 2008
  • Saki: Series is dormant and not that popular
  • Isaac: See above
  • Chibi-Robo: Franchise was killed off by Nintendo because it was a flop
  • Starfy: See Saki and Isaac
  • Pushmo: Not really sure
I'd say Takamaru as well but his situation is different since he's a retro character.
If characters aren't picked for what they represent it seems hard to believe that Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters, Duck Hunt, or Game and Watch would've made it in to begin with. K. Rool and Saki at this point can qualify as retro (unless NES is the absolute latest you can count retro, which seems silly). Chibi-Robo...isn't dead. Like 2015. Starfy you have a point, but one that also applies to Little Mac for sure at the time of Sm4sh.

Pushmo and Mio fall under Nintendo history. I don't buy that this isn't a criteria he uses. Even if it isn't, it reeeeally should be. At least before more third party.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If characters aren't picked for what they represent it seems hard to believe that Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters, Duck Hunt, or Game and Watch would've made it in to begin with. K. Rool and Saki at this point can qualify as retro (unless NES is the absolute latest you can count retro, which seems silly). Chibi-Robo...isn't dead. Like 2015. Starfy you have a point, but one that also applies to Little Mac for sure at the time of Sm4sh.

Pushmo and Mio fall under Nintendo history. I don't buy that this isn't a criteria he uses. Even if it isn't, it reeeeally should be. At least before more third party.
Little Mac's last appearance was in 2009, while Smash 4's roster was decided in 2012. Starfy's last appearance was in 2009 as well...but Smash Switch's roster was likely decided in 2016. There's a tremendous difference between Little Mac and Starfy, timeframe wise. And that's coming from someone who'd love to see Starfy in Smash.

The directors of Zip Lash basically said if the game didn't sell well Nintendo would pull the plug on Chibi-Robo. Not only did it not meet their expectations, it absolutely flopped. The series basically has no future at this point barring a miracle.

And K. Rool isn't a retro character. For the purposes of Smash, a retro character comes from a retro franchise. Donkey Kong Country is anything but that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I have a question for people here, sorry if it's been asked:

I keep seeing people saying that the "well is running dry" for new characters. Does anyone actually believe this? Just off the top of my head it's super easy to think of new additions without over-representing any franchises or truly scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie, Mio Amakura, Prince Fluff, Saki, Pyra, Dillon, Takamura, Isaac, Tom Nook, Chibi-Robo, Starfy, Pushmo, something Rhythm Heaven, something ARMS, Snip&Clip

That's all without leaving Nintendo and going Third Party. None of them would have to be clones, with only Dixie and Tom Nook even seeming plausible as clones. None of them are particularly obscure except Mio and Pushmo, who represent horror and eshop respectively, making them genre and platform representatives similar to Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer who also made it for these reasons. That's 17 newcomers without "scraping the bottom of the barrel" or even going 3rd party.

I don't know, honestly it feels like the people who say that either don't play much other Nintendo or they just want to pretend because if we run out of Nintendo it opens door to more 3rd party (personally I'd rather cut 3rd party completely).
I don’t believe Smash needs to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get new characters. Yes, most of those characters have big issues that have prevented them from becoming playable until now, but really, aside from Spring Man and Rex, there aren’t any other hugely obvious characters who absolutely should be in, which might be why some people feel like that.

That said, I am at a loss as to why some people think Smash is done character-wise when we still don’t have Toad in. There are a lot of really important characters for franchises that still aren’t in, without accounting for relevancy. There is also an incredible amount of characters from the GBA era (which was, for some reason, sorely underrepresented), that could make it in without being a “retro” pick.

Maybe it depends on your personal definition of what the bottom of the barrel entails, but really, Nintendo doesn’t turn out a lot of huge new IP nowadays, so they have to look into their back catalog.

Enchess

Smash Lord
When I hear "scraping bottom of the barrel", the weird rabbit from Badge Arcade, a Goomba, or Urban Champion. If a game was at one point a big deal (Golden Sun and Starfy come to mind), not really scraping the bottom. If it's new and fresh (Splatoon, ARMS, SnipperClips), then it really isn't either. Same with if it shines a spotlight on interesting Nintendo history (Fatal Frame, Game and Watch, Bayonetta, Wii Fit). I just can't accept the idea that these are scrapping the bottom of the barrel and we need to get 3rd parties with little to no relevance to Nintendo first.

Like does anyone really think that Little Mac, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit, or honestly even Mother (which I adore) are less "scraping the bottom of the barrel" than ARMS or Golden Sun?

This is all just reminding me of how mad people around me got at Shulk's announcement because they thought he was scraping the bottom of the barrel despite being from a recent game with a dedicated cult following with sequels in development. I heard people back then fully straight-faced that Master Chief and Crash Bandicoot deserved to be in first.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I knew everyone but Marth, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, and... that was it. Rest I knew of. But I played a ton of Nintendo games or knew of them as is beforehand, so...
So you are saying you knew who Roy was? :troll:

Anyway, we really haven't started scrapping the bottom of the Barrel, we still have a good number series going that Nintendo could pull from e.g. Pushmo, Dillion and Style Savvy are ones of the top of my head. And Sakurai is spoiled for choice still when it comes to Retro picks, with series like Excitebike, though I'm not sure this series should still be considered retro, it had Wii release after all, and Balloon Fight.

And even then there are other in between series, meaning series in between the Retro era and current era, like Golden Sun, yeah dormant, but it sold well so not really a bottom barrel scrapper, or Nintendo Wars, one of Nintendo's NES era series that doesn't have a presence outside of Assist trophies.

Plus they still are spoiled for choice when it comes to Mario, if Sakurai wants to probably have a Mario spin-off character in Smash. With obvious ones being Paper Mario, Daisy and Waluigi.

Same thing applies to Pokemon, still plenty of popular pics, that wouldn't be called barrel scrappers.

As for Zelda, well, for most people its literally Impa and Tingle who they see as the last potential reps.

A bottom barrel scrapper would be like one of tutorial NPCs from Kokiri forest in Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0szD8Tu-KA
this video alone will make characters listed here a lot more popular. Thier smash 4 video was a better list in general tho imo, and less based on the recent game releases/trends.
Literally the fourth list I've seen from "major" groups that includes Solaire of Astora.

I'll be honest, is he legitimately that big of a deal, or is he just a memetic character the DS fanbase loves?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Literally the fourth list I've seen from "major" groups that includes Solaire of Astora.

I'll be honest, is he legitimately that big of a deal, or is he just a memetic character the DS fanbase loves?
well dark souls in smash would be a big deal tbh. But I think that the character most likley to be chosen as playable already has an amiibo makes me think he wont be in Smash.

but yh ive seen him a lot online in utube/twiiter etc, but not as much as bayo :p

Graizen

Smash Champion
Best part is to see the opinions of some members of the forum!

Agumon, Crash and Chosen Undead? 0%!

Daisy !? 10000%!

D

Deleted member

well dark souls in smash would be a big deal tbh. But I think that the character most likley to be chosen as playable already has an amiibo makes me think he wont be in Smash.

but yh ive seen him a lot online in utube/twiiter etc, but not as much as bayo :p
Honestly, it may be too late for him to even have a shot outside DLC down the line.

The only way I can see him having a shot for base roster is if Nintendo and Namco-Bandai struck up a deal when the roster was being worked on. With said deal leading to the Solaire amiibo or whatever.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Best part is to see the opinions of some members of the forum!

Agumon, Crash and Chosen Undead? 0%!

Daisy !? 10000%!
Uhh, dude, I think you got it a bit backwards, majority of this site are against Daisy, cause of certain fans, actually that's pretty much the story for Daisy in site like this, gamefaqs and reddit.

Which is kind of silly in away, since most people really don't care if she gets in or not, and I mean they really don't care.

Anyway, you know the Dark Souls port, well I remembered one of my biggest problems when it comes to people predicting 3rd party ports. And well it also sort of applies to Crash as well, now note I am fan of Crash, I am not saying Crash shouldn't get in, I just want you to take this part away from it:

And its the fact that so many people have this problem or predict, oh this major 3rd party series got a port to a Nintendo console so this character should be added.

Though I'm pretty sure when it come to Crash, since the N. Sane Trilogy port the people who started predicting Crash are band wagoners, and Crash does have a legitimately big Smash support base. The whole bandwagon thing applies more to Dark Souls, then Crash.

But either way, my point is: I don't like people who say, this major 3rd party got a Nintendo port, therefore this series must being getting into Smash.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Uhh, dude, I think you got it a bit backwards, majority of this site are against Daisy, cause of certain fans, actually that's pretty much the story for Daisy in site like this, gamefaqs and reddit.

Which is kind of silly in away, since most people really don't care if she gets in or not, and I mean they really don't care.

Anyway, you know the Dark Souls port, well I remembered one of my biggest problems when it comes to people predicting 3rd party ports. And well it also sort of applies to Crash as well, now note I am fan of Crash, I am not saying Crash shouldn't get in, I just want you to take this part away from it:

And its the fact that so many people have this problem or predict, oh this major 3rd party series got a port to a Nintendo console so this character should be added.

Though I'm pretty sure when it come to Crash, since the N. Sane Trilogy port the people who started predicting Crash are band wagoners, and Crash does have a legitimately big Smash support base. The whole bandwagon thing applies more to Dark Souls, then Crash.

But either way, my point is: I don't like people who say, this major 3rd party got a Nintendo port, therefore this series must being getting into Smash.
Cure, inviting you to give your opinions about Agumon on the oficial topic!
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-burning-digimon-dinosaur-agumon-for-smash.453284/

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Highly doubt this would happen since Cloud is too iconic, but how would people feel about Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V) getting in Smash?
Gilgamesh was a minion of the evil warlock Exdeath and a skilled swordsman. After failing to defeat the heroes one too many times, Exdeath banished him to the Void, dooming him to wander the multiverse. Every once in a while, he pops up in another world, serving as a superboss, summon, or NPC.

Gilgamesh's gimmick is his massive armory of weapons. Pressing B will make Gilgamesh draw a random weapon, each with a special effect, power, reach, etc.

Gilgamesh's weapons are as follows:
Buster Sword: Cloud's sword. Decent range but loses power as Gilgamesh takes damage.
Rainbow: Crono's ultimate katana. Has medium range but hits heavily.
Geno Doll: Has minimal reach, but allows Gilgamesh to perform projectile attacks with every Smash attack.
Keyblade: Acts functionally identical to Marth's tipper blade.
Naginata: Gilgamesh's longest-reaching weapon, but has weak overall damage and knockback.
Chicken Knife: Gilgamesh's second-shortest weapon. Starts weak but grows in power as Gilgamesh takes damage.
Excalibur: Has range similar to the Buster Sword. Has devastating damage and knockback. If you see Gilgamesh pull this out, run.
Excalipoor: Appears nearly identical to Excalibur. Deals 1 damage per hit without any knockback. Only useful to bluff your enemies into thinking you pulled out Excalibur.

Final Smash: It's Morphing Time!

Gilgamesh transforms into his true self, sprouting extra arms carrying all his weapons save Excalibur and Excalipoor. All weapon special effects are in play, making Gilgamesh's hitbox a world of hurt.

Why do I want him in? It'd be a fun way to represent multiple Squeenix characters via Gilgamesh's weapons, and Gilgamesh has proven to be a fighter already in Dissidia.
And as you heard in that video, he also has the best theme ever.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Gilgamesh is to Final Fantasy what Anna is to Fire Emblem; some people think a recurring character is a better way to represent a franchise than the one-off protagonist of a recent game. I mostly see it as a “no way it’ll happen” if the franchise has several characters, ‘cause then you don’t even need one character to represent it as a whole.

Diatribe aside, I do like Gilgamesh, but not particularly in Smash. If there were to be another FF rep (not that I’d want there to be), I’d rather it be a protagonist like Terra or Cecil.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So what do you think of the recent tweet that claims this iteration of Smash will see third-parties heavily represented? (link: https://screenrant.com/super-smash-switch-third-parties/)

In my experience the guy has good scoops, so personally I think he’s for real, but what would that even mean? I felt that the last game had a lot of third-party characters already.

Also, if the other part about the 2-Player coop adventure is also true, then we’re likely looking at a new game, right?

Enchess

Smash Lord
So what do you think of the recent tweet that claims this iteration of Smash will see third-parties heavily represented? (link: https://screenrant.com/super-smash-switch-third-parties/)

In my experience the guy has good scoops, so personally I think he’s for real, but what would that even mean? I felt that the last game had a lot of third-party characters already.

Also, if the other part about the 2-Player coop adventure is also true, then we’re likely looking at a new game, right?
Honestly, if third-parties ever make up more than 10% of cast in base game (don't really care what DLC does), it won't feel like Smash Bros to me anymore. I'll still play it and probably love it, but it'll feel like Brawlout or Rival of Aether to me where I'm playing mostly for the gameplay. The Nintendo Museum aspect matters to me too much.

Second-parties on the other hand....

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly, if third-parties ever make up more than 10% of cast in base game (don't really care what DLC does), it won't feel like Smash Bros to me anymore. I'll still play it and probably love it, but it'll feel like Brawlout or Rival of Aether to me where I'm playing mostly for the gameplay. The Nintendo Museum aspect matters to me too much.

Second-parties on the other hand....
...Third parties took up more than ten percent of the cast in Smash 4. Six third parties on a roster of less than sixty.

Enchess

Smash Lord
...Third parties took up more than ten percent of the cast in Smash 4. Six third parties on a roster of less than sixty.
"...in base game..."
I really don't care what DLC does. I didn't bother with it in Sm4sh and likely wont on Switch unless it's K Rool.

Also, I'm only counting it as 5 due to the unique situation with Bayonetta games.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

First, if its Marcus, I'd say don't believe it as he's often wrong. But this does bring up an interesting topic. Would the new Smash focus on guest characters? This seems to be what a lot of folks think (which is why Marcus is saying it). Is it true?

First lets look at Nintendo and ask: do we have enough to draw from? Is there more or less. Here are the new Nintendo series added in Super Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U
  • Animal Crossing
  • Wii Fit
  • Punch Out
  • Xenoblade
  • Duck Hunt
Of these, there was only two new character driven series that was added: Xenoblade (which was made by Monolith, not Nintendo proper) and Animal Crossing (which had been around since 2002, at least in the US). As for the other characters, they were drawn from a few series: Mario, Pokemon, Kid Icarus (which had a new game), Fire Emblem. Not considering the DLC or clones, this resulted in 10 new characters. So the discussion is 1)Are there more series to draw from and 2)Can we pull more from the existing series.

For the first point, we already know its better as Nintendo released Splatoon and ARMS during this time: both character-driven series. There are also other, smaller series, such as Codename STEAM (from Intelligent Systems and I beleive was directed by the same guy who did the earlier Paper Mario games) and Ever Oasis. Rhythm Heaven had gotten a new title and still doesn't have a character. And of course there are games like 1-2-Switch and Labo which could have oddball characters ala Wii Fit. So in terms of new series, Nintendo has a good amount to draw from.

Now the second point, existing series. Well, one advantage already is characters could be drawn from Animal Crossing (as its a massive series) and Xenoblade (which had two more games in the series). For reference, the only series added in Brawl to get new characters was Kid Icarus. So already, we have more to draw from. There is also the fact that Pokemon Sun and Moon released after Smash 4 (and did very well). Mario also has a lot to draw from, and you had a spin off in the form of Captain Toad, so there is another character who could be in. Breath of the Wild also did well and has characters that can be drawn from in the Champions, who had their own DLC and amiibo. And, as I'm sure many people suspect, K Rool probably did very well in the ballot, so there is always the chance he (or Ridley) could appeal as a fan favorite character. Already, we are up to 6 Nintendo series, an increase of 2 from last time. This doesn't consider Fire Emblem, which had a new game and is getting a Switch game, and Star Fox, which could have Slippy based off Star Fox Guard. Moreover, this also doesn't consider the chance that both ARMS and Zelda could get two characters. If you think this is crazy, remember that each game has had a series get 2 characters and Fire Emblem got two in its first inclusion.

So the conclusion we can draw is we have more Nintendo characters, not less. Now, let's look at the flipside. Are there more guest characters?

To answer this, let's take a step back in time to before Brawl was announced. Back then, it was understood that the game was only Nintendo. Nevertheless, one of the most popular suggestions was Sonic. The response was that he couldn't be in the game as he was owned by Sega. But this never detered people. When third party characters were a possibility for Smash, Sonic was the main suggestion. Followed behind him was Mega Man, which came up too but far less often. Both were the top two characters in the offical poll done for Brawl. Mega Man was also one of the most requested characters for Smash 4.

But since then we have gotten most of the characters people have specifically requested. The last two notable names were Final Fantasy (which we got Cloud) and Bayonetta (which wasn't as big but had at least a constituency). But since then, there really hasn't been an obvious character. There isn't that one character that comes out above the rest.

To ilistrate, here are the top 10 characters threads on SmashBoards.
  1. Krystal
  2. Ridley
  3. Daisy
  4. K Rool
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. ARMS
  7. Lip
  8. Issac
  9. Rex
  10. Shantae
Now, this isn't a great measure since thread views don't mean a character will get in or even that they are that popular, but the point is to show interest. In order to find any guest character, you have to go down to the 10th thread. The next one is the 13th thread.

And this is the problem. Rather than having one or two characters people really want, you have a bunch of characters people are sortof interested in. There aren't the same heavy hitters as before as they all got added in the last game. Outside of a few notable characters, like Crash or Bomberman, there really isn't that character people are hankering for. Even those two, though they appear to be two of the most popular, are about as popular as many of the Nintendo characters. I would venture to guess that the most popular character for this game was Inkling (which is why they decided to lead with them). This is different than the last two games where it was Sonic and Megaman.

So when you take all of this together, what do we have. We have a lot more Nintendo characters (due to new character driven series and more successful games with new characters) and fewer guest characters (as the most popular are already in Smash). So with this, we can conclude that we wont see more guest characters but fewer guests. The reason this idea comes up has more to do with a mindset over anything else. People assume that every character can be in Smash Bros now but ignore the fact that there aren't any characters on the same level as the ones already included.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Like does anyone really think that Little Mac, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit, or honestly even Mother (which I adore) are less "scraping the bottom of the barrel" than ARMS or Golden Sun
Wii Fit sold over 25 million units. The problem with roster predictions is that we're seeing it as hardcore Nintendo fans. I'd say we need to view gaming characters on a more macroscopic level, but the Minecraft Steve becomes more likely so I shut myself out again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0szD8Tu-KA
this video alone will make characters listed here a lot more popular. Thier smash 4 video was a better list in general tho imo, and less based on the recent game releases/trends.
I get that people can have different opinions, but how can someone's opinions be so sinful?

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think I've had an epiphany

Lara Croft is going to be in Smash Bros

Before you dismiss it actually think about it, think about who she is and think about who we already have in Smash Bros.

You don't have to have a strong history with Nintendo, you just need to be a league of your own. Lara Croft is probably the most iconic female figure in gaming

Or win a voting competition and have your games published by Nintendo and have Nintendo treat you like your their up in Bayonettas case.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Before you dismiss it actually think about it, think about who she is and think about who we already have in Smash Bros.

You don't have to have a strong history with Nintendo, you just need to be a league of your own. Lara Croft is probably the most iconic female figure in gaming

Or win a voting competition and have your games published by Nintendo and have Nintendo treat you like your their up in Bayonettas case.
To be fair, Lara Croft seems far less ridiculous after Bayonetta. Back in the day people would say she's too sexualised and violent, but she's tame in both areas compared to Bayo and yeah, she's a big Video Game All Star. Alongside Crash and Spyro probably the biggest Playstation All Star out there...

...kind of ironic that NONE of them were in PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale, huh? Meanwhile Smash Bros, originally a celebration of Nintendo, has two bigger Playstation All Stars in Cloud and Snake than that game's entire roster combined.

Morbi

Scavenger

The ONLY reason I would be surprised is just because of the competition she faces from other Square Enix characters. The potential for them to just finally add Geno, or even go for a notable characters such as Chrono, or one of their RPG series such as Bravely Defautl or Dragon Quest is high. I guess Sora as well, but with Disney as a gatekeeper, Goku is objectively more likely.

That being said, I vastly prefer Lara.

Ivander

Smash Legend

He used to be that big of a deal before Dark Souls 3. Basically, while "Praise the Sun", his catchphrase, is a meme around the fanbase, there are some big notes about him.
-He's one of the first good people you meet and willing to help you. He's also a real bro to you.
-He can join your battles as a Phantom to aid you against bosses.
-He was one of the few, if not one of the only, characters you could actually save from dying or meeting a fate worse than death.
-Before Dark Souls 3, there was alot of speculation concerning him as possibly being the first son of Gwyn, one of the major lore characters. Basically,
--His whole deal around the Sun and finding his "own Sun".
--The fact that Gwyn disowned his first son and removed the first son's name from history, thus "Solaire" could've been a false name.
--And one of the important deals in that if you did manage to save his life, he could join you in fighting the Final Boss, AKA Gwyn.

I don't know if there was a bit more that may have hinted at Solaire being his first son, but regardless, this was disconfirmed when Dark Souls 3 came out, where you actually get to fight against the first son of Gwyn, the Nameless King. But despite that, Solaire is still liked by the community because of how much of a bro he was to you in the first game, in both his relaxed nature to you and how he helps you fight against bosses, including the Final Boss.

So really, I think the idea of people putting him on a Smash List of possibilities comes from the fact that out of the known NPCs of Dark Souls, he's the most known thanks to his meme, his character and the speculation that was around him. Then there's the fact that Dark Souls Remastered is coming to Switch, as Dark Souls is the game that Solaire originated from. And last, wasn't there something in where Sakurai said he enjoyed Dark Souls? So in that sense, I think he's along the lines of Sans or Marx.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He used to be that big of a deal before Dark Souls 3. Basically, while "Praise the Sun", his catchphrase, is a meme around the fanbase, there are some big notes about him.
-He's one of the first good people you meet and willing to help you. He's also a real bro to you.
-He can join your battles as a Phantom to aid you against bosses.
-He was one of the few, if not one of the only, characters you could actually save from dying or meeting a fate worse than death.
-Before Dark Souls 3, there was alot of speculation concerning him as possibly being the first son of Gwyn, one of the major lore characters. Basically,
--His whole deal around the Sun and finding his "own Sun".
--The fact that Gwyn disowned his first son and removed the first son's name from history, thus "Solaire" could've been a false name.
--And one of the important deals in that if you did manage to save his life, he could join you in fighting the Final Boss, AKA Gwyn.

I don't know if there was a bit more that may have hinted at Solaire being his first son, but regardless, this was disconfirmed when Dark Souls 3 came out, where you actually get to fight against the first son of Gwyn, the Nameless King. But despite that, Solaire is still liked by the community because of how much of a bro he was to you in the first game, in both his relaxed nature to you and how he helps you fight against bosses, including the Final Boss.

So really, I think the idea of people putting him on a Smash List of possibilities comes from the fact that out of the known NPCs of Dark Souls, he's the most known thanks to his meme, his character and the speculation that was around him. Then there's the fact that Dark Souls Remastered is coming to Switch, as Dark Souls is the game that Solaire originated from. And last, wasn't there something in where Sakurai said he enjoyed Dark Souls? So in that sense, I think he's along the lines of Sans or Marx.
And don't forget that he's getting his own amiibo.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Ok so I'v finally caught up with this, and I know I missed the boat on this topic in particular but;

I'm ****ing laughing my head off at the fact that people too young to have even played these Retro' games are deciding what is and isn't 'retro' as if retro means naything more than 'nostalgic throwback to the world I grew up in'. The word is literally just short for 'retrospective'. Has it been co-opted to mean 80's? Some say yes if they grew up when the 80s kids doing retrospectives. Before them people would have said it referred to the 50s, then 60s, then 70s.

Does that make 80's any more 'retro' than 90s? No, guess what, there are people nostalgic for the 90s too. All these characters added in as throwbacks to the 80s aren't any more relevant than characters who are a throwback to the 90s simply because they're older. In fact we've reached the point where the demographic with the free time and expendable income are going to be nostalgic for GBA, late N64 and early GameCube. We've reached the time where some newly senior members of the Smash team are going to have fond memories of those from their childhood. Yes, Sakurai is still involved but he was already more hands off the development of 4 by the time they were releasing DLC. Nintendo itself has been making these changes with the up and coming design teams making their throwback references to the 90s (I mean...just look at Splatoon).

So I can't believe its such a popular sentiment that people genuinely think there's a mystical 'void area' of being so old they're obsolete but not old enough to be up for consideration again?

EDIT: Also we're long past the days of Smash being a 'Nintendo Museum'. When Snake gets added as a favour to a friend and we get Nintendo's most historic rival in one game then that concept itself is dying. The next has a character that has at best a cameo on Nintendo? And the number of 3rd parties is increasing at the same rate as 1st parties? Yeah, it's transcended that.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
So I made a 100 character wish list roster recently, and I dunno where I can post it on this site. Can I post it here for discussion?

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Hi friends!

I've been out of this site a long time, but I'm always willing to come back when we get a new game announcement! Obviously, the process of deciding characters and their realms of possibility has dramatically shifted into a whole new perspective. With that being said, I believe that we are going to see an announcement at E3 of what could possibly the most plausible 3rd party character in my eyes, Crash.

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but if it hasn't, I think Crash, given his recent relevance to Nintendo and the Switch, as well as his influence in gaming today, would be the ideal and possibly easiest 3rd party to get for the game right now.

What do you all think?

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this is a stupid question but where has everyone been getting the rectangle newcomer banners in their signatures?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Hi friends!

I've been out of this site a long time, but I'm always willing to come back when we get a new game announcement! Obviously, the process of deciding characters and their realms of possibility has dramatically shifted into a whole new perspective. With that being said, I believe that we are going to see an announcement at E3 of what could possibly the most plausible 3rd party character in my eyes, Crash.

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but if it hasn't, I think Crash, given his recent relevance to Nintendo and the Switch, as well as his influence in gaming today, would be the ideal and possibly easiest 3rd party to get for the game right now.

What do you all think?
I think it's possible, but I really hope this doesn't come true. Out of all the biggest third party names Crash is the one I want the least. This is simply because his series does not have any incredible connection to Nintendo. Yes, his collection is coming to the Switch. Yes, he is iconic in the realm of video games as a whole. No, he does not deserve to be in Smash. I would prefer Rayman, whose games are well tied to Nintendo, or Banjo Kazooie, who made his name on Nintendo, or heck even Bomberman, who was ingrained in Nintendo fans' libraries from his conception in Smash before Crash even gets a glance his direction.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think it's possible, but I really hope this doesn't come true. Out of all the biggest third party names Crash is the one I want the least. This is simply because his series does not have any incredible connection to Nintendo. Yes, his collection is coming to the Switch. Yes, he is iconic in the realm of video games as a whole. No, he does not deserve to be in Smash. I would prefer Rayman, whose games are well tied to Nintendo, or Banjo Kazooie, who made his name on Nintendo, or heck even Bomberman, who was ingrained in Nintendo fans' libraries from his conception in Smash before Crash even gets a glance his direction.
Remind me what Ryu's special connection to Nintendo was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom