• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
What did he actually say?

I've seen someone say that he simply said "characters new to the series" not that their games were new to the series.

Reggie could've meant "no echos" or simply "new movesets/new characters" when he said "entirely new."
It may actually be new to the series and not from a new series

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
from what reggie said, it seems we'll most likely get characters we "don't expect", so maybe we'll be getting more pipe-dream characters?

Killer Instinct?
Soul caliber?
Mortal kombat?
God of War?
Resident Evil?

its like an all-you-can-choose buffet up in here!

I know some people actually wanted joker, so that's good. heres hoping the last 4 can grant some more wishes.
More pipe dreams, huh- wait.

MOGE-KO MIGHT ACTUALLY BE COMING TO SMASH?!?!?

Last edited:

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Hey all, back from my tomb of no spoilers! Anyway, the games really good and OH MY GOD THEY ADDED JOKER TO SMASH! Though, I am more partial to persona 4, 5 is still one of my favorite games of all time and to see Joker, JOKER in smash, it's just unbelievable, remember when some of us were groaning 'bout Nintendo picking the characters, Well why would you from now!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey all, back from my tomb of no spoilers! Anyway, the games really good and OH MY GOD THEY ADDED JOKER TO SMASH! Though, I am more partial to persona 4, 5 is still one of my favorite games of all time and to see Joker, JOKER in smash, it's just unbelievable, remember when some of us were groaning 'bout Nintendo picking the characters, Well why would you from now!
Yep they are focusing on the fans for their choices

On fair warning though we could potentially end up with scorpion or sub-zero from mortal Kombat

Because my 11 was announced at vga and it will be on the switch and it’s famous enough historical enough and popular enough for smash ultimate

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Yeah. I think the only thing they're trying to avoid is realistic guns, and the only character this hurts is Elma (but even then not by much since they could pretty easily make her guns less realistic.)
Hell, I wouldn't even necessarily say that. Bayonetta's guns, while imbued with magic, are still fairly realistic and still fire bullets. If Dante ever got in, he would have more or less the same thing going on too. I don't think that's really a high priority for them anymore!

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Hell, I wouldn't even necessarily say that. Bayonetta's guns, while imbued with magic, are still fairly realistic and still fire bullets. If Dante ever got in, he would have more or less the same thing going on too. I don't think that's really a high priority for them anymore!
Do you think my Digi-bois will get in then?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think Mortal Kombat might get a rep, I mean if they added Joker an M rated character, then I don't think they care about that stuff now.
No, but you can't have Mortal Kombat without fatalities, and you can't have fatalities in an E10 rated game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Biggest issue with Scorpion getting in is Mortal Kombat isn't really that popular I. Japan. IIRC too it is banned there.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
What did he actually say?

I've seen someone say that he simply said "characters new to the series" not that their games were new to the series.

Reggie could've meant "no echos" or simply "new movesets/new characters" when he said "entirely new."
Someone already posted the correct quote, but no, he said characters that were "new to the series." Here is him talking about it at the game awards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52M3EfVZTGo&t=204s

He's basically quoting what Sakurai already said. So I wouldn't take this to mean there won't be any characters from existing series or ones that already have content in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, when I hear "characters new to the series", I think "characters who have never appeared in Smash before in any capacity".

Which includes NPCs.

DigiTAG

Smash Rookie
This might sound far-fetched, but what about Yugi/some other Yu-Gi-Oh character?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for him(after Joker, I'm probably never asking Sakurai for anything ever again, haha), but I feel like there's a surprisingly notable chance.

-I believe that, when Joker was revealed, Reggie said that it was "a taste of how they're handling the DLC characters". I wonder if this means characters who you'd think "oh, that could be cool, but it would never happen"?
-A Yu-Gi-Oh character would represent card games as a whole, something which, unless I'm mistaken, hasn't been represented at all before in Smash.
-Although he isn't from a video game, there have been several Yu-Gi-Oh games on Nintendo consoles(There were a ton on the Gameboy, for example, and two on the 3DS, though I think one was exclusive to Japan).
-Yugi is actually playable in a different fighting game, Jump Force.
-A card game based moveset could be quite interesting and unique.

The biggest things that would stand against this, in my opinion, are:
-Even if they are going for unexpected characters, a Yu-Gi-Oh character would probably be even more unlikely than Joker, especially since they didn't come from a video game, and most if not all Yu-Gi-Oh characters specifically came from anime, even if they have been in several video games.
-With Cloud, Shulk, and now Joker, there are already three anime-style characters in Smash, plus even more if you count Fire Emblem characters. I feel like adding any more could meet some backlash.
-Though I listed it as something working for his chances, the fact that he's in Jump Force could also make it less likely for him to be in Smash.

Sorry for the wall of text. Perhaps I'm reaching a bit, but this is just a bit of speculation. What do you think?

P.S: My apologies if this comment breaks any rules, I haven't used this website much.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This might sound far-fetched, but what about Yugi/some other Yu-Gi-Oh character?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for him(after Joker, I'm probably never asking Sakurai for anything ever again, haha), but I feel like there's a surprisingly notable chance.

-I believe that, when Joker was revealed, Reggie said that it was "a taste of how they're handling the DLC characters". I wonder if this means characters who you'd think "oh, that could be cool, but it would never happen"?
-A Yu-Gi-Oh character would represent card games as a whole, something which, unless I'm mistaken, hasn't been represented at all before in Smash.
-Although he isn't from a video game, there have been several Yu-Gi-Oh games on Nintendo consoles(There were a ton on the Gameboy, for example, and two on the 3DS, though I think one was exclusive to Japan).

-Even if they are going for unexpected characters, a Yu-Gi-Oh character would probably be even more unlikely than Joker, especially since they didn't come from a video game, and most if not all Yu-Gi-Oh characters specifically came from anime, even if they have been in several video games.
-With Cloud, Shulk, and now Joker, there are already three anime-style characters in Smash, plus even more if you count Fire Emblem characters. I feel like adding any more could meet some backlash.
-Though I listed it as something working for his chances, the fact that he's in Jump Force could also make it less likely for him to be in Smash.

Sorry for the wall of text. Perhaps I'm reaching a bit, but this is just a bit of speculation. What do you think?

P.S: My apologies if this comment breaks any rules, I haven't used this website much.
Yu-Gi-Oh didn’t originate as a videogame afaik.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Yu-Gi-Oh originated as a Shonen Jump manga, much like Dragon Ball, Naruto, or One Piece. Seeing as Sakurai put Goku on the same level as Spongebob in terms of "not happening" and said that's what Mii fighters are for, he has no chance. He's playable in Jump Super Stars, Jump Ultimate Stars (both for the DS, which is region free), and Jump Force, but he won't be coming to Smash.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
So I posted this in the Reimu thread, but I'm posting it here as well to get some opinions:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach
“It's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it's going to be tremendously exciting.”

Fils-Aime explained that Sakurai and the team working on Ultimate’s DLC don’t necessarily see characters from franchises not typically associated with Nintendo as a limiting factor when it comes to Smash Bros.

“Mr. Sakurai, he's not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he's had his hand in a few, but he's a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he's been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking."

From what Reggie says here, the DLC characters don't necessarily need a direct link to Nintendo. Rather, Sakurai prefers characters who represent gaming as a whole. Now, I actually had a feeling that this was the case, since Pac Man was portrayed more as the grandfather of the arcade era, rather than how he was associated with Nintendo. There's also the fact that Cloud got in Smash 4 over the likes of Terra or Cecil. But now, we have more definitive proof that Sakurai doesn't really care about the Nintendo association, and cares more about representing gaming as a whole. This is emblematic of Joker's reveal. Reggie also said that they prefer characters who are unique, and can bring something new to Smash.

So yeah, I think these statements raise Reimu's chances just a bit higher. Her franchise helped grow the Doujin scene in Japan, and that's pretty significant, considering the fact that doujinshi are a large part of Japanese culture. She's also has satisfies the "unique" aspect with flying colors. Reimu comes from a SHMUP/bullet hell game series. If she incorporates these mechanics from her games, she can truly make for a unique fighter. Reimu is also visually distinct, as her primary weapons: her gohei, ofuda and spell cards, are weapons no other character currently wields in Smash. It also helps that she isn't another swordsman.

Last edited:

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Jibanyan, Anyone? With nintendo saying that the DLC would suprise us.... This is would be PRETTY SUPRISING.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So I posted this in the Reimu thread, but I'm posting it here as well to get some opinions:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach
“It's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it's going to be tremendously exciting.”

Fils-Aime explained that Sakurai and the team working on Ultimate’s DLC don’t necessarily see characters from franchises not typically associated with Nintendo as a limiting factor when it comes to Smash Bros.

“Mr. Sakurai, he's not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he's had his hand in a few, but he's a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he's been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking."

From what Reggie says here, the DLC characters don't necessarily need a direct link to Nintendo. Rather, Sakurai prefers characters who represent gaming as a whole. Now, I actually had a feeling that this was the case, since Pac Man was portrayed more as the grandfather of the arcade era, rather than how he was associated with Nintendo. There's also the fact that Cloud got in Smash 4 over the likes of Terra or Cecil. But now, we have more definitive proof that Sakurai doesn't really care about the Nintendo association, and cares more about representing gaming as a whole. This is emblematic of Joker's reveal. Reggie also said that they prefer characters who are unique, and can bring something new to Smash.

So yeah, I think these statements raise Reimu's chances just a bit higher. Her franchise helped grow the Doujin scene in Japan, and that's pretty significant, considering the fact that doujinshi are a large part of Japanese culture. She's also has satisfies the "unique" aspect with flying colors. Reimu comes from a SHMUP/bullet hell game series. If she incorporates these mechanics from her games, she can truly make for a unique fighter. Reimu is also visually distinct, as her primary weapons: her gohei, ofuda and spell cards, are weapons no other character currently wields in Smash. It also helps that she isn't another swordsman.
I think what kills Reimu’s chances is the fact that she’s nobody outside of Japan. Some people might know Touhou, but nobody knows her.

Out of curiosity, would you say the doujin scene is something close to mainstream in Japan, or is she somewhat niche even there?

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I think what kills Reimu’s chances is the fact that she’s nobody outside of Japan. Some people might know Touhou, but nobody knows her.

Out of curiosity, would you say the doujin scene is something close to mainstream in Japan, or is she somewhat niche even there?
Well, I'm going to start off saying that Reimu's inclusion would be the result of clear Japanese bias. However, saying that she's a nobody outside of Japan is false. Touhou has a dedicated community in the West within the anime/manga subset of the internet. It's influence is there, you just have to look a bit hard to see it. Many memes and reaction images that are still used today originate from Touhou-related media. Perhaps the clearest example of this is Bad Apple, which is a Touhou song remix that went viral years ago, to the point where it appeared on CNN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEIteQmpHE
Touhou may not be known in communities that you visit, but it has the reach to attract many people outside of the Nintendo circle.

And according to Wikipedia, the doujin scene is a 1.65 billion dollar industry, so take that as you will.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, I'm going to start off saying that Reimu's inclusion would be the result of clear Japanese bias. However, saying that she's a nobody outside of Japan is false. Touhou has a dedicated community in the West within the anime/manga subset of the internet. It's influence is there, you just have to look a bit hard to see it. Many memes and reaction images that are still used today originate from Touhou-related media. Perhaps the clearest example of this is Bad Apple, which is a Touhou song remix that went viral years ago, to the point where it appeared on CNN
Touhou may not be known in communities that you visit, but it has the reach to attract many people outside of the Nintendo circle.

And according to Wikipedia, the doujin scene is a 1.65 billion dollar industry, so take that as you will.
I know Touhou, I play Touhou, but you’re lying to yourself if you think ‘dedicated fanbase’ means something is at all known. Especially in the age of the internet.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Jibanyan, Anyone? With nintendo saying that the DLC would suprise us.... This is would be PRETTY SUPRISING.
I will accept it only if his summon theme is his victory theme.
I feel ryu hayabusa has a good shot
Then we could have the battle of redundancy: Roy and Ryu Vs. Roy and Ryu.

Also, Cirno seems to be relevant in within the Mega Man community...So I guess that's something.

Last edited:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I know Touhou, I play Touhou, but you’re lying to yourself if you think ‘dedicated fanbase’ means something is at all known. Especially in the age of the internet.
It means something to counteract your point in saying that it's "not known in the West".

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It means something to counteract your point in saying that it's "not known in the West".
Yeah, everything is known everywhere, yadda yadda, I mean known enough where it’s actually substantial.

If you’re picking newcomers based on worldwide popularity, you just don’t consider Touhou.

Last edited:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, everything is known everywhere, yarda yadda, I mean known enough where it’s actually substantial.

If you’re picking newcomers based on worldwide popularity, you just don’t consider Touhou.
The Japan bias is real though. There are tons of characters that appeal more to the worldwide population than a Persona character. Nintendo is a Japanese company, and will pick important characters through a Japanese lens.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Japan bias is real though. There are tons of characters that appeal more to the worldwide population than a Persona character. Nintendo is a Japanese company, and will pick important characters through a Japanese lens.
I mean, I guess? If you’re going to speak in relative terms, there are tons of characters that appeal more to the Japanese population than a Persona character.

We don’t know the rest of DLC, but we know it’ll at least have a level of worldwide recognizability on par with or surpassing Joker’s. For all we know, it’s a bunch of anime guys like Sora and Lloyd Irving, or it’s Crash, Doomguy and Banjo. But Touhou just can’t boast worldwide recognizability, and all the Japanese bias can’t help it with that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eh, touhou's spread far enough so that I think people have seen it, even if they don't know what it is and assume it's just an anime.

It's... definitely not even close to P5 level, and isn't exactly the most profitable decision though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom