• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia 14 - Ovah?!?

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Vainilla Townie. Blue is how we call a normal villager on epicmafia

Thats why we call it blue xP

MARaTHonman

Smash Rookie
I am the Town Tracker. I tracked Tery the first night and Ryker the second night, and saw nothing.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Marathonman's claim is consistent with X1-12's detail on Ryker.

I'm town.

Serin and Felipe are scum(?). Note how Felipe assumes the liar is between him and myself.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
My game plan remains the same. Lynch Serin then we have both X1 and MM target Tery or Felipe and we GO AHEAD AND FIGURE OUT WHICH OF THEM WE THINK IS SCUM TODAY BEFORE WE LOSE X1!

:phone:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I like Tery's recent posts better than Felipe's posts all day. Serin is scum of the Earth. That's my current assessment from my phone.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Derp guys this is autowin. Teryjw, Ryker, Marathonman and Ryker are clear. 4/6 maybe???

Vote:Serin

Lets end this please :/

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Personally, I would have preferred for Felipe to die first, but I'm okay with dying.

Good luck town.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Day 3 - Votecount #2:

---

Voted: |
Voting:
| Votes:
|
o-Serin-o |
Terywj, felipe_5959, Ryker, X1-12​
|
2 / 4​

Ryker |
MARaTHonman​
|
2 / 4​

---​

A lynch has occured!
o-Serin-o - a Green Bean, Vanilla Townie - has been lynched!
Night 3 begins, send in all Night Actions until Wednesday, 5th!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
X1-12 - Town Friendly Neighbor - has been killed during the Night!
Terywj and MARaTHonman have been endgamed!

Ryker - Mafia Goon - and felipe_5959 - Mafia Roleblocker - have won the game! Congratulations!

Mod notes and other things coming soon!

Kantrip

Kantplay
Gah! Good game guys.

Mafia made a good NK when they got me, because I had them pegged. But only AFTER my death. :mad:

Town should have realized felipe "giving up" like he did was odd. He seemed all too willing to drop the game off as a loss, and lynch his "scummate" (serin).

I don't think there was an mvp in this game.

Thanks for hosting, Gheb :)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Notes on the newbie players:

Marathonman: Well played. I hear adum already tried to contact you for further advice and I think he's doing it for the right reasons. Your reads were typically spot-on but it's more important to point out what you could improve at: Mafia is not just a game of finding the scum but also about *convincing the others* that your scumreads are accurate. Therefore my suggestion for you is to become more vocal and active if possible. You have the talent - you just need to make it clearer to the other players.

Felipe: You evidently knew your stuff already from playing EpicMafia and it surely boosted your performance in this game. I liked how you blended in with the town, did not cause a lot of dismay and generally managed to stay active on the one hand but out of the spotlight on the other hand - a solid tactic for a mafia PR. In future forum-games you should be aware that you can't always auto-pilot the number-games like you did here because set-ups are typically closed [the roles are not announced in advance]. You've latched yourself onto Ryker pretty hard in this game - had one of you been found as scum it would've been easy to catch the other one based on that! Sometimes - especially when you have a 2nd scum partner - it'd be wise to keep some more distance to them so you're not being associated with them so easily.

Serin - Your efforts were pretty lackluster and you seem disinterested. Are you even interested in playing anymore or did you just join to give the game a shot?

Kantrip - Very solid play, without any major mistakes. It was obvious that the mafia killed you for having your head in the right place. We might get to play alongside in the future and I'm looking forward to that. Had you been longer in the game I might've found some flaws to point out but you're good enough a player to realize these yourself when it matters.

:059:

Kantrip

Kantplay
I forgot about this, lol. I should have kept the pressure up.

So felipe, you and adum are scummates and you didn't night kill because adum didn't send you a kill target? Why pin the most inactive medal onto him?

Tery, I could suspect ryker as well, but I don't think he'd forget to pm a nk. I can answer anything you'd like more in-depth when I have a proper keyboard.

Felipe, why wouldn't adum's partner send in a nk anyways? Do you think both members are inactive? I don't know about that....

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Ryker, I strongly disagree with how you've played your role as IC player and in the future I will advise hosts against deploying you as IC for newbie games. You've completely neglected do your duties - IC means "Inexperienced Challenge", not "Lynch the other IC so you can fool the newbies for the rest of the game". Do you really need the credit that badly that you'd play a bunch of unguided newbies like that? It's a shame that you lynched adum who actually made the effort to show how to play this game - just to have a better shot at winning? Rather than posting your points of view or amendments or corrections on adums points?

Day 1 miscalculated the deadline / time-zone differences hence to lack of a kill. I wanted to announce it officially first but then I opted not to because I figured it'd upset some of the experienced players and disrupt the play for the newbies and I did not want that. More than likely it cost the town the game eventually as they wrongfully assumed Ryker to be clear [especially X1 was operating under that assumption] and I will take full responsibility for that. In the end it won't actually bother me nearly as much as the mistake itself though. It's more important the newbies understand how mafia is played and for that a healthy game is needed, without any major causes for troubles. That's why I decided to keep it under the rug up until now. Over the course of this newbie game I learned a lot about hosting mafia and realized that I have fallen behind a bit [looking at other mafia set-ups].

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
One last note: On the final Night X1 sent in two Night Actions, one was to protect MarMan and the other to protect himself. I stuck with the one he sent in first - I'm kind of sorry for this, X1 but also have to make the point that I'm not going to be lenient on the rules. You've sent in your action and therefore it counts, there's no "whooops, changed my mind" and the rules make that kinda obvious. It's pretty lame that the game was lost in such an unfortunate manner for the town.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Ryker, I strongly disagree with how you've played your role as IC player and in the future I will advise hosts against deploying you as IC for newbie games. You've completely neglected do your duties - IC means "Inexperienced Challenge", not "Lynch the other IC so you can fool the newbies for the rest of the game". Do you really need the credit that badly that you'd play a bunch of unguided newbies like that? It's a shame that you lynched adum who actually made the effort to show how to play this game - just to have a better shot at winning? Rather than posting your points of view or amendments or corrections on adums points?
Cool. Don't lynch the guy who will out the scum team that I'm a part of if I leave him alone? Adum played EXTREMELY badly, but remained the only profitable lynch. Leaving him around wouldn't have done anything for anybody because he was advocating incorrect information and the only thing leaving him around would do would be to force X1 into the open to falsely clear me under Adum's incorrect assumptions.

Gheb said:
Day 1 miscalculated the deadline / time-zone differences hence to lack of a kill. I wanted to announce it officially first but then I opted not to because I figured it'd upset some of the experienced players and disrupt the play for the newbies and I did not want that. More than likely it cost the town the game eventually as they wrongfully assumed Ryker to be clear [especially X1 was operating under that assumption] and I will take full responsibility for that. In the end it won't actually bother me nearly as much as the mistake itself though. It's more important the newbies understand how mafia is played and for that a healthy game is needed, without any major causes for troubles. That's why I decided to keep it under the rug up until now. Over the course of this newbie game I learned a lot about hosting mafia and realized that I have fallen behind a bit [looking at other mafia set-ups].

Would not have pissed me off. In fact, I tried OVER AND OVER again to get Adum to check his facts with you so that it wouldn't go down that route. Oh well.

Liked the set-up, actually.

Write-up incoming when I finish reading the posts in this thread.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Kantrip - You are the all-star here. You played a stronger game than Adum, X1, and Tery. You did a GREAT job of making sure that the game had levels of content despite the inactive multitude. What you need to do is pin down hard stances from people. Get their scum reads. Always have them. Make sure there is a paper trail at all points of the game. While you did add things together, you didn't leave anything for others to find when you were gone. Force a paper trail so that the numbers are there for anyone who would do the math in the event you aren't there yourself. I am interested in seeing you play more.

Felipe - My scummate. That play at the end was brilliant and exactly the closer needed to make sure nothing went wrong. However, outside of that, your game was pretty lackluster. You did a LOT of following me around which would sting if you or I were lynched as we would be seen together. The hardest part of playing scum is playing as town. You have to genuinely look at what you think is scummy and push that, but also look at who your scummates are and see if it's something you can let slide or if you need to push them too. Some level of coordination in voting is usable, but, especially in early game, you need to do what is natural for town instead of what is convenient for scum.

Serin - Dude, you frustrated me so much. Someone I knew signed up to play mafia, but then didn't play. You never posted any reasoning you had for anything and weren't getting any sizable support for your votes. If you want to sign-up for another, then play. Get in there and campaign for your pushes instead of having your own reasons that don't matter because no one is supporting them.

Marathon - Gheb nailed it. You have common sense and can put one and one together to mean two, but that doesn't mean anything at all if I can convince the majority that it means three. To be honest, how to persuade more effectively is a business I would have to write paragraphs about. If you want to talk further on the subject, you can PM me or add me on Skype. You did live as the town's PR, but it was because you didn't make yourself a threat outside of your role and that's a trade I don't think is worth it.

Tery - You need to not be a sheep.

Adum - Salt all you like, you wouldn't have been on me for anything if it weren't for the fact that I tried hard to correct that mod error without outright saying I was scum who missed the deadline. You rely on meta and mod confirmed information which is not always an infallible source. You never seem able to put together a convincing case based on what the playerslot has done and it will be your downfall until you learn to double check your out of thread information with their actions and put it together in a coherent case.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
The Gold Dice PM Box issue is what I blame for the moderation issue. Without it rearing it's ugly head, the action would've been in well before deadline and Gheb wouldn't have been allowed the chance to mess up. Everybody's human, it just happened to be the worst possible time someone could screw up. xD

The NUMBER ONE lesson to take from this from anyone involved is that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is guaranteed so you need to make sure that everything lines up with your "facts." Outside of thread information is valuable, but not infallible. Even cop reads can be wrong.

@Gheb - This is why I advocate randomizing the night kill to a player who is not of the killing faction. This generally applies to mafias and compulsive killers. Most of the time it hurts a faction more to not let them have a kill, but if they are not allowed to send in "No Kill," they shouldn't be able to get a no kill. Randomization takes away the Meta of inactives are scum or that a clear isn't a clear because of inactivity. It would also have made this damage non-existant.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
This game never happened. Period. This moderation issue was too great.

The Gold Dice PM Box issue is what I blame for the moderation issue. Without it rearing it's ugly head, the action would've been in well before deadline and Gheb wouldn't have been allowed the chance to mess up. Everybody's human, it just happened to be the worst possible time someone could screw up. xD

The NUMBER ONE lesson to take from this from anyone involved is that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is guaranteed so you need to make sure that everything lines up with your "facts." Outside of thread information is valuable, but not infallible. Even cop reads can be wrong.

@Gheb - This is why I advocate randomizing the night kill to a player who is not of the killing faction. This generally applies to mafias and compulsive killers. Most of the time it hurts a faction more to not let them have a kill, but if they are not allowed to send in "No Kill," they shouldn't be able to get a no kill. Randomization takes away the Meta of inactives are scum or that a clear isn't a clear because of inactivity. It would also have made this damage non-existant.
Don't you dare.

This is presumably the first time that this issue has cropped up in dgames, period. There was an easy resolution that gheb could've taken to fix it.

No, gheb's error, as I said before, made this game non-existent just as surely as if he threw a jester into an open game without disclosing a jester was in the game. No assumption was made beyond what the game requires to function.

Now STOP MISINFORMING THE NEWBIES, you didn't win anything, stop acting like this was at all relevant.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Oh, I dare.

Go to hell Adum. Moderation issues pop up from time to time and the solutions appear misleading. To say there is nothing you can draw from this is absolutely misleading. Yet again, I say you rely waaaaaaaaay too much upon meta which depends upon faulty sources.

MARaTHonman

Smash Rookie
Wow that was a lot of fun. Thanks for the comments and support guys. Yeah, I got to learn to be more convincing. It's good to know that my instincts and reasoning were correct, though.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Oh, I dare.

Go to hell Adum. Moderation issues pop up from time to time and the solutions appear misleading. To say there is nothing you can draw from this is absolutely misleading. Yet again, I say you rely waaaaaaaaay too much upon meta which depends upon faulty sources.
This isn't meta, this is how the game is required to work in order to function. This is ****ing basic, and if it didn't give you a "win" you'd be just as pissed as I am about, or did you forget about your response to gheb's last game which wasn't even a mod error, but instead he used wincon as a way to balance that you disagreed with.

Yea, bullsh**.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Then it's a broken mechanic in general as it takes away a possibility set forth within the ruleset that scum could take advantage of. YOU attempted to abuse the system that is run by one man who is not infallible. You got burned. Deal with it.

One, I did not get pissed, I simply add it to my list of wins. Two, I disagree with the rule in general which was not in the Touhou ruleset where he and I were co-mods. I'm still waiting for his response.

Top Bottom