• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia 12 FMP Fumoffu!: Game over!

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
well i've got finals next week, and a week of camping soon after that, so i have no idea when i'll get to play again but man i hope i get town. forcing myself to re-read the thread, trying to BS scumreads and make them look good has gotta be so much less satisfying than actually scumhunting...

JTB, did you actually investigate kuz N1? or ran?

edit THE NINJAS

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well if you get town remember to always be honest. If you see someone trying to do what YOU DID as scum, they might be scum.

Also, scum will try to paint townies as scum like you did. So remember that.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
actually JTB i liked yer plan to try to catch scumkuz, even if it failed it was pri nice use of not very powerful PR

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
lol

Fynal MVP for sure.

not much to say, this was apparently an odd game of mafia, so I'm not much better than when I started :3
Nah, it wasn't odd, the roles were a bit unusual for a newbie game, but it's well within the confines of a normal game that you might find here or on mafiascum. I guess the only abnormal thing here is you find a lot more swingy PR heavy games here.

The only real thing I'd say here, is that games tend to come in two flavors OS (everyone is a PR, mad swingy) or standard (cop doc and scum RB, move from there, majority vt), and I prefer to use some variety in determining the roles because player's metaing the setup in the closed game for clears is a legit issue.

Ok, player analysis time:

1. X1 (IC) - Played a pretty strong town game, but ultimately kuz ended up having too much influence. Honestly, I don't know what to say beyond you could've been better at controlling town.

2. Kuz (IC) - I was rather disappointed in your play this game, X1 didn't really give off any tells and honestly, you should've backed off when he didn't claim a PR, you knew he was town then, cause you knew scum X1 would've claimed a PR. Then there was the way you dealt with Ran's claim, dude was positively bleeding townie frustration during the entire period and you didn't even stop to consider that it might've just been a smart scum kill, especially since he was usually considered pretty town before then and he had like no connections. You should've interpreted it as a clear, not a guilty. Then there was JTB, at that point you realized JTB was town but chose to waste an entire day of scumhunting on an argument between the two of you, when revealing that you lied for reasons that would essentially prove you town would've made the situation work out a lot better for town. You also epically failed in reading the newbies.

3. Swordsdancer (IC) - Gah, I wish you didn't have to replace during a drought of available replacements (or that WL and Tery inn'd a few days before), from what you played you did good. Kudos for nailing Fynal.

4. Ranmaru (SE) - I'm sorry Ran, you really weren't a strong player this game, you need to learn to better read people in terms of what questions reveal scum intent. That said, you shouldn't have been lynched.

5. Gova(SE) - You played well, and played to your wincon by being obvious town enough to draw the NK n1. Too bad the rest of your faction wasn't able to carry you.

6. TheBlueSpot - Really a non-factor this game, Kuz unequivocally cleared you and you did nothing to take advantage of your obvious-townness.

7. JTB - Played well, good intelligent use of his PR, a shame you were fighting scum prodigies, and picking out his lie so well was good. The one thing you didn't realize that you should've is that the only real reason to lie like that (which in turn, matched his PR usage) was that kuz was the jailer and protecting his PR, so the lie practically confirmed they were town. But you were a little too pigheaded on your kuz scum read. Still, you played well, and you proved me wrong I think, you probably deserved to be an SE.

8. Fynal - Truly exceptional play, leading scum your first game while playing an incredible daygame. You were never really in the crosshairs the entire game, definate mvp material.

9. Seikend - Another break-out exceptional performance, but you were more subtle about it because most of what you did was behind the scenes, planning and providing incredibly perceptive reads. Too bad soup claimed early, otherwise you probably would've been cleared due to that amazing jailer read and that you read Kuz's lie in terms of what it really meant would've allowed you to easily NK him. Fantastic performance.

10. Gatlin UTDZac Terywj - disappointing slot again, everyone here was incredibly inactive. Still, at least tery was able to convince everyone he was town.

11.Soupamario - Reasonably good, your case on x1, while wrong was pretty insightful, and your reads weren't bad. Shows improvement, please continue.

12. Blacknight99923 (Soren) - In the beginning, you did pretty much nothing, but in the end you became a force. The only thing is, you have Ran's problem, I think you ask questions without really understanding their implication. That should come from expirience, and overall you played a good game, I hope you stick around and continue to improve.

13. asianaussie - Another really impressive performance, displayed a kevinM like ability to wiggle out of lynches, was always on the menu, but town could never quite get the support together, and the way you planned to use your lynch was inventive as hell. You may have been outclassed by your scummates, but don't let that get you down, you're an extremely talented player and I'd love to see you in more games.

Conclusion: As far as MVP, I interpret Seikend's and Fynal's play as about equivalent, that said, since this is Fynal's absolute first game and he played so well in it, I think that he deserves extra consideration because of lack of expirience. Therefore I choose to award the MVP to Fynal!

To the rest of the scumteam, I'm sorry, but I don't believe in giving more then one MVP, but you all get wins for your statistics, and I'd love to have any of you on my scumteam, you guys rock.

Speaking of which, note that only players with experience died this game, none of the newbies were lynched or NK'd.

Round of applause for every newbie surviving till endgame!

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I guess I didn't try hard enough.

Adum, can you give examples of what questions wouldn't really reveal scum intentions? I'll consider them.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I was getting lynched d2 but Soup got modkilled. That's most likely why.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I gave up... after seeing Kuz town.

I was going to try and work something up, but I was too late lol.

It's just that I got rly over loaded with games, and school... But Newbs are also hard for me because of reading the newbies.

It was a kuz or me situation... Kuz flipped town. I was like WHAAA.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
all you had to do was say

"i'm town guys, if you lynch me scum will win, so don't"

but you didn't give any impression of trying to live, so I took it as a defeated scum

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
it was going to be mylo the next day no matter what, so I could see scum affording to bus him

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Fun Fact: I won my first game ever on here as scum and then got lynched D1 my second game as town. Lets hope that doesn't happen to you :p

As for town...

Cmon Ran. If its MYLO and you're town don't just throw your hands up and say "if you've had enough discussion, you can lynch me" BECAUSE THAT WILL END THE GAME. Even to me who knew your alignment after death, it looked like a scum slip because you didnt care about dying (if you were town you would have damn well cared at that point, scum not so much). I tried to work with your town meta but towards the end I didn't see any other way it could possibly be but you and AA/Seik. Freaking fynal fooled me good.

Here is a line in my notes that I thought I would share with you all.

"JTB and Fynal can't both be town because having two informative roles in this setup in impossible. Reporter seems like a nerfed down enough role but fynal is a confirmed tracker. If I would have to guess I'd say Fynal was a mafia tracker and Seik is lying about his nurse role."

The modkill really screwed up my plans on acting on it though. D3, I was planning on clearing JTB and lynching Ran which would have brought down my pool of 5 to 3 (the whole scum team :/). I would have told me solid reads to Soup that Night and he would have acted upon them upon my death or I would have upon his death. The modkill gave town an extra scummy player to lynch through before getting to the scum team, which was the final one needed to win the game. Adumb, for that I will be ever salty.

Full Town Shoutouts Later :)

Yeah, same thing happened to me.

I'll keep this in heart... because I am a bit dissapointed in myself with this and Bingo.

So why did you think I was with AA? Because I put him as null? lol

asianaussie

Smash Hero
We interacted a bit early on and I don't think I actually called you scum till like the last 2 pages or something.

Ran's big mistake probably came because you didn't realise it was lynch scum or lose.

It's also the reason I pulled up to vote for you.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
No gonna lie adumb, you really don't know how to write shoutouts.

Sorry for sucking at reading newbies despite me correctly clearing most of the town newbies and actually reading the ICs and SEs wrong. I had it down to the pool of 5 on D3 before the modkill and was about to clear JTB and lynch Ranmaru. Going into D4 I would have known the scumteam because I cleared everyone else.

and bull**** @ ran "should not have been lynched." He was the scummiest player in the game bar none and you are literally giving me way too little credit. Scum played well and they outplayed me. I didn't play like ****. Not to mention town would have pretty much had it w/o the modkill.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i really felt that way too kuzzai, i'm sorry i got modkilled, we were..eh, somewhat right, but we did pretty good, we just got outplayed.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
adum your an idiot for congratulating people for surviving to endgame... Thats completely not the point of mafia

:phone:
This too like wtf.

2. Kuz (IC) - I was rather disappointed in your play this game, X1 didn't really give off any tells and honestly, you should've backed off when he didn't claim a PR, you knew he was town then, cause you knew scum X1 would've claimed a PR. Then there was the way you dealt with Ran's claim, dude was positively bleeding townie frustration during the entire period and you didn't even stop to consider that it might've just been a smart scum kill, especially since he was usually considered pretty town before then and he had like no connections. You should've interpreted it as a clear, not a guilty. Then there was JTB, at that point you realized JTB was town but chose to waste an entire day of scumhunting on an argument between the two of you, when revealing that you lied for reasons that would essentially prove you town would've made the situation work out a lot better for town. You also epically failed in reading the newbies.

Do you really think I should have completely backed off the grounds he didnt claim a PR? That **** is WIFOM. As for the Ran block, I setup tracker WIFOM the day before on Seikend and AA sending in the kill (and at the time I didnt fynal could be scum for a long shot) so I thought the third member was Ran sending it in. Um, what @ JTB? Kid thought I was scum so I told him he was wrong. I never slipped in the argument and had to reveal I lied. I had to do that because you ****ing modkilled Soup when Ran was at L-1.

Man that paragraph makes me mad.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Kuzi... You made a wagon on JTB for MY reasoning. That was pretty scummy. I won't deny that voting along was scummy. :p

The switch from X1 to AA was scummy... even though AA was scum lol. (I thought you were just trying to get cred for pushing on X1 and then switching.. then I was like OH NO YOU DON'T) ;-;

I do agree you might have had it if I was lynched, then AA. Who would you have lynched next?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Kuzi... why didn't you just lie that neither of you were jailers?

wait... then you'd just be masons, and possibly still get nk'd... nvm...

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Kuzi... You made a wagon on JTB for MY reasoning. That was pretty scummy. I won't deny that voting along was scummy. :p

The switch from X1 to AA was scummy... even though AA was scum lol. (I thought you were just trying to get cred for pushing on X1 and then switching.. then I was like OH NO YOU DON'T) ;-;

I do agree you might have had it if I was lynched, then AA. Who would you have lynched next?
Actually I was going to make a wagon on him for the exact same reasoning but I wanted to see if you could correctly diagnose why he was scummy on your own. I wasn't going to restate your whole thing on my own just to vote him. Don't you think I'm smart enough to come up with independent reasoning if I want to?

Why the **** would scum want to get cred for pushing the X1 wagon just to switch last minute?

AA then Seikend then Fynal.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
@Kuz:

Yes, and you should have.

I don't know. You tell me. Why did you switch last minute?

Oh... sigh.

Ok kuz, list three things that I did that were majorly scummy, so that I can try to avoid this in the future...

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Ran. At the point you made points on JTB, it was at the beginning of D1. Anything that I could come up with you already listed. Why would I type it all up again just to parrot you?

Because AA was looking hella scummy.

I'll do that later.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
To look genuine I guess. It would also show me you put in the effort to find your own reasons.

Look at it from my pov. you pushed on x1 SUPER HARD. Then you switched to AA. Like, I'd only accept that if AA SCUMslipped, you know? (Unless it was rly legit why you switched, and I just didn't see it) Because I have had tons of those myself. I mean, I'd make a case on a player, and notice others scumminess, and bam I'd switch wagons to get more info...

I mean

Hi
K bye

didn't cut it for me lol.

I also secretly thought x1 was scum with you but I didn't say anything till you switched lulz.

Kk.

#HBC | ѕoup

Honestly i'm not sure what happened with the whole X1 thing, i made a case on it and then i remember aa getting some pressure and then x1 got some too or something idk was such a blur.

this game was a blur, that modkill ****ed it up alot among other things.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
adum your an idiot for congratulating people for surviving to endgame... Thats completely not the point of mafia

Except... newbies are usually mislynch bait

This too like wtf.

Do you really think I should have completely backed off the grounds he didnt claim a PR? That **** is WIFOM. As for the Ran block, I setup tracker WIFOM the day before on Seikend and AA sending in the kill (and at the time I didnt fynal could be scum for a long shot) so I thought the third member was Ran sending it in. Um, what @ JTB? Kid thought I was scum so I told him he was wrong. I never slipped in the argument and had to reveal I lied. I had to do that because you ****ing modkilled Soup when Ran was at L-1.

Man that paragraph makes me mad.
[/COLOR]
Yes, because you read him as town at that point. You know how x1 thinks, you should've trusted your read there.

If Ran wasn't scum then there was still another scum that could've sent in the kill, and Ran's reaction was incredibly townie.

Frankly, you lost a day of scumhunting, preserving the lie wasn't worth that, especially since once jtb drew attention to it, scum not realizing you did what you did was not an unlikely possibility. The whole thing was a massive distraction.

#HBC | ѕoup

adum, do you think there was any possible way for me and kuz to win? what was the biggest deciding moment for scum and town's wincon? what should i improve on so i can get the wincon for my faction?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Good questions soup, I'm curious for those answers too.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
adum, do you think there was any possible way for me and kuz to win? what was the biggest deciding moment for scum and town's wincon? what should i improve on so i can get the wincon for my faction?
Yes, I think you two could've honestly realized the scumteam at a number of junctions, but you made too many assumptions.

When town refused to consider the possibility that Ran was the scumkill, being that dogmatic about it made it impossible for you to get reads on the scumteam. JTB especially, there was no way you should've sheeped kuz's reads completely, you were a strong enough personality in the game, you could've definately drawn it out of scum, or reread Ran's reaction.

Read and play by the rules. From there, ask better questions.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
All in all

I definitely learned a lot from this game, especially from D2/D3, and it was great being a part of it. I look forward to seeing future newbie games :)

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
First time JTB has made it to endgame.

Another game where I myself have not made it to endgame as town.

I'll get there eventually.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Just gotta say I read through the entire scum QT just now.

Literally almost **** my pants at some of the nervousness Fynal was emanating. **** was funny as hell to read ahahahahahha

Can't even ****ing stress enough how much thought you put into this game. Credit where credit is due, surely. Great work again :chuckle:

My only regret was that I had the scum team down to 4 people on D3 and then the modkill prevented me from finalizing it. One more Day and the whole game would have turned around.

Top Bottom