• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New way of dealing with Mach Tornado!

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Before I start I would like to apologize if this is already known, or discovered by someone esle. I wish not to claim fam but to inform.

Aside from Pit's Arrows, Snake's Grenade, and Falco's Lazers, Mk's Tornado can also be considered a very annoying move.

I have seen a thread in Brawl Tactical discussion on things that will hit through tornado. The following thing is not included.

Pivot Grab.

Everyone should know that characters with a tether grab, (Link, Samus, Zamus, Lucas, Yoshi, ivysaur, olimar, and Tlink) can grab metaknight through tornado.

What some don't know is that every character in the game can grab metaknight of out tornado also. By a Pivot grab.

I tested it out on majority of characters and if timed correctly, they can successful grab metaknight out of his mach tornado without taking damage.

The thing is with Pit, they eat through his arrows, so we have to be careful about random spamming, which is never a very good idea. With this instead of Shielding and trying to punish and wind up getting Dsmashed if we mess up. We can grab his tornado and lead into more pressuring situations because pit's grabs are top tier xD.

For those who do not know, to Pivot grab you run in one direction, Hit Z + opposite direction.

Trying to regular grab his tornado can possibly lead to a Super Armor grab, or you've just taken about 7-16 damage from tornado.

Just a way to punish some noobs. :laugh:

Video of kprime doing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGp8ckBvWX0

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Anything to overcome cheap Metaknight is useful. I'll have to get this tested with you so I get used to it.

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
how ot utlize this might be an issue, it would mean that your etierh running away from it or running toward it........ but that me.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
how ot utlize this might be an issue, it would mean that your etierh running away from it or running toward it........ but that me.
if you are facing away for him, you can do a pivot grab almost on the spot by flicking the joystick forward, then backwards as you hit grab.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
The only real problem with that is that most of the time to do a piviot grab you run through them and it works because they spot dodge or shield it, but still doable. With this there is a constant high priority hit box in the way. Im not saying it can't be done, I mean you did do it, but i think in game might take a bit more work (against MK for sure) then your making it sound.. but good fine, Pits throws do lead to a few fun things at low to middle %'s.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
The only real problem with that is that most of the time to do a piviot grab you run through them and it works because they spot dodge or shield it, but still doable. With this there is a constant high priority hit box in the way. Im not saying it can't be done, I mean you did do it, but i think in game might take a bit more work (against MK for sure) then your making it sound.. but good fine, Pits throws do lead to a few fun things at low to middle %'s.
It's actually quite simple, if you can react and they use tornado, you should alwayz come out on top.

When i posted that I mean they are traveling towards you, like always. I don't mean your running past them. I'll draw what i mean.

( . . . . Mach Tornado Hitbox . . . . ) --------->20 m/p
____________________________^ you are here ------> 10 m/p

You run away as they are chasing you for a split second, you pivot grab and you outrange his tornado and you grab him. Now he is your :chuckle:..............victim.

Denzi

Smash Master
Are you sure that this works with every character? Pivot grab out of Tornado -> Falco Chain Grab would be pretty awesome.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Are you sure that this works with every character? Pivot grab out of Tornado -> Falco Chain Grab would be pretty awesome.
Read the version of this thread in Brawl Tactical discussion for more details. I had to cut this thread and add stuff about Pit so it could stay here and not have to be moved.

To answer your question directly, I did not try with every character but I tried with a sufficent enough I believe. I did indeed do it with fox. Also I did it with Ice Climbers, who are suppose to have the worse grab range in the game. I would be absolutely appauled if it didn't work with falco. It completely should and I'll bet....*check inside pocket* 38 cents and gumball it will.

Valuno

Smash Apprentice
Simply incredible. If we could pull this off consistently, MKs would be afraid to tornado lol.
It seems pretty practical as well, you just run away while the tornado is approaching, and pivot grab before it hits you.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
It's actually quite simple, if you can react and they use tornado, you should alwayz come out on top.

When i posted that I mean they are traveling towards you, like always. I don't mean your running past them. I'll draw what i mean.

( . . . . Mach Tornado Hitbox . . . . ) --------->20 m/p
____________________________^ you are here ------> 10 m/p

You run away as they are chasing you for a split second, you pivot grab and you outrange his tornado and you grab him. Now he is your :chuckle:..............victim.
i see, i wasn't thinking of running away to do it nice work. Now find a constant way to stop, Dsmash, Fair, and ^air then we should be golden.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
i see, i wasn't thinking of running away to do it nice work. Now find a constant way to stop, Dsmash, Fair, and ^air then we should be golden.
Lol dsmash comes out in a half of a frame, and can be used again 1 frame later, soon you'll be able to do it in the air. I suggest run.
And for Fair,
This is what Pit needs to do,
run away, shoot some arrows, fsmash a little, GG.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Half a frame? You know what a frame is, right? >.>

dsmash can be powershielded if he uses it straight out. Thing is if the MK is good he probably won't. He'll wait until you're doing something first.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
1 frame is 1/60th of a second. When i said he could use dsmash in the air I thought I made it clear I was joking.... Guess not :/
Video!!!!!!! Check first post

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I should have made a vid about it before you did -_-
Pit's still better at it. Regardless, it can be a 2nd option against Tornado happy MKs, and I think this would seriously benefit us against those at the Mansion, considering how MK cant float above our grab reach.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
i dont care bout it, and it was laggy in that demonstration. You can do it, but of course the Mk has to be at top speed towards you.

Riku00

Smash Ace
Or you can just use Mirror Sheild and make him SD off the edge. i like that idea better, its less risky & the outcome is phenominal.

Top Bottom