• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Vids Of My Samus Winners finals 5/31, Enjoy! =] .... WATCH!!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I get the impression that Samus can be boring to play because she usually plays like a brick wall with missiles that doesn't die. But I havn't had anyone complain to me directly that Samus is boring to fight.
Maybe it's one of those placebo stereotype things...
Samus is boring because she is very awkward / very difficult to approach if you have less range than her. You can't press her shield because she can **** you for it, and her low hitstun devolves the match into a poking war. This is very similar to Jigglypuff, only you can actually edgeguard Samus and gimp her and she doesn't have the constant threat of imminent death. In exchange, she has a very good wavedash back and Up+B.

Most of anyone who beats Samus's game on Samus is

1) space move
2) wait for her to do something; punish if possible
3) space move
4) wait for her to do something; punish if possible
5) repeat step 1

And so forth and so on. This is why Sheik and Marth are so good against her, I think, because they're the best at that kind of stuff. For Marth, if he's spaced, she literally can't do anything about him hitting her, he has to whiff or she's helpless, and even if he does whiff she's often not going to be in a position to punish. Sheik is the same, only she has even less lag because she's a meanie.

However, this is nonetheless a very repetitive process.

Smash is spoiled on the whole, though, with its risk / reward. Some of the top characters get comboed and ***** for leaving openings; it's a huge shock to come across one that gives you nothing for procuring such a thing. Unfortunately, Samus is just one of those characters you have to chip away at with whatever's safe (lasers, back air, shield wd, needles, turnips, spaced fair, whatever your character has) and just keep her out the entire game. There isn't enough of a reward to getting in to justify trying to with most characters. And, while this is very gay, Samus is mercifully not played by many people, so suck it up. If you don't want to play safe vs such a character, then you can be bad against her.

Corigames

Smash Hero
WOW, REALLY?!?!?! That is SOOOOOOOOOOOO insightful! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH for helping me get over my hatred for playing vs. Samus by telling me to get better! I really never thought of that before you said it, you really are an utter genius, and I must insist that you study psychology and help others with your incredible talents.
You don't have to be a ***** about it. Just get better.

^agreed

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah, I guess that makes sense.
But even if Samus breaks the risk/reward in a way, she doesn't have anything to break it further, or to exploit any situations that emerge from it...
Either way, it's not like I'll stop playing Samus if people complain. It's too fun.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
You don't have to be a ***** about it.
yes I do,
1. it's the internet
2. you're giving some really stupid advice.
I'm justified on multiple levels for being a **** about it.

me hating playing vs. Samus has nothing to do with being bad vs. Samus. I'm actually pretty good at this matchup, it's just stupid and boring and every time I play it, I wish I were enjoying the game instead of being forced to pretend it's barwl.

(no offense Alu, you're samoose is mad kyute! LOVE YOU!!!!!!!! <3 no homo etc)

p.s. pew pew pew pew pew
:smiliegor

Alukard

Smash Hero
nah i kno she sucks to fight ... i hate fighting her too ... i think i can **** the **** out of samus ... i just get bored and rush her ...but all u really have to do is hit her with projectiles and run ... she sucks at chasing lolol ... ****ing slow ***** lol

<3 u too mogwai

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
I don't know what you guys are talking about.
Samus?
Slow?
wtf
What metroid game are you guys playing?

Alukard

Smash Hero
werd... <333 watty =] we love our DAIRS!!!

and yea my samus is maddd fast as long as i have plats lololol

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
My Samus is fast and I follow up extremely well. Mindgame combos are too good. I don't find her boring to fight at all. For me, she's the most fun character to use.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You really love dair... As in, to a fault. It's a great combo starter, but the high start-up makes it a really bad move to spam when your opponent isn't occupied with something else. It's also only so good for fitting into combos; I really like that uthrow -> dair thing you do, and it looks useful when thrown in after utilt and other dairs, but I think you need a better feel for when it will and won't connect.

I also think you would do really well to learn how to time down-angled ftilt to edgeguard instead of ftilt. This one is far from obligatory; the only Samus I ever saw that did this was HugS, but even though it's a hell of a lot tougher than utilt, it's worlds better, since it's harder for your opponent to ledge-tech. Far from necessary, but it will definitely put you on another level if you can do it consistently.

Other than that, you've got one of the sickest Samuses I've seen ever. Take my advice however you will. I haven't played Samus seriously in a long time, and I never was very good; not to mention you're definitely a ****load better than I am, so I may just be crazy in my imaginings, but these are the things I've noticed while watching.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Against my opponents, d-air doesnt work as well as it should. They usually do some move that out-prioritizes (dont know if i spelled that right x.x) it, thus making it useless. I also do it as a spike rarely. I cant get the hang of the feel you get when you close into an opponent in the air, being samus and all, it feels like your in space, and cant get to the person fast enough to get the dair. If they are under the stage however, thats a different story. After reading this to myself, i have to make a correction...I do dair on-stage A LOT.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Against my opponents, d-air doesnt work as well as it should. They usually do some move that out-prioritizes (dont know if i spelled that right x.x) it, thus making it useless. I also do it as a spike rarely. I cant get the hang of the feel you get when you close into an opponent in the air, being samus and all, it feels like your in space, and cant get to the person fast enough to get the dair. If they are under the stage however, thats a different story. After reading this to myself, i have to make a correction...I do dair on-stage A LOT.
Just drop below them and time a dair while they're falling, or make sure your not gaining any height (you'd rather prefer to be falling, preferably after a wd off stage or a fastfall) I think I've told you this a million times already, scrub :p

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Just drop below them and time a dair while they're falling, or make sure your not gaining any height (you'd rather prefer to be falling, preferably after a wd off stage or a fastfall) I think I've told you this a million times already, scrub :p
You never told me about falling and not gaining height...

lexington

Smash Cadet
And any Sheik is good as long as you have a gamecube controller and a copy of smash. It's one of the laws of smash.
i agree, but you forgot to mention the advanced techniches, cuz a plain sheik doesnt do much, AT plus GC controller and a copy of smash = a good sheik :D

Lol that was a long time ago :D

4 stocked. gg

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:
hahahaha GG xDD

samus doesn't combo well (some stuff looks pretty, but even then you're doing 3% a hit so your combo as a whole might do 20-30 unless you have a charge shot)

she doesn't get combo'd well

she can't approach well

she is hard to approach

she doesn't KO well

she doesn't get KO'd well

verdict: BORING matchup to play
-the first one its true i guess, thats the most common complain i get xD

-the second one is false, well played samus can have a very good approach, and if the player can do SWD 100% then samus has even more approach

-she does KO well ¬¬

-true

she IS hard to approach xD, well, if the player knows how to play his/her cards right.

Everyone's best character is secretly sheik.
lmao xD so true xDDD that or marth xD

My Samus is fast and I follow up extremely well. Mindgame combos are too good. I don't find her boring to fight at all. For me, she's the most fun character to use.
i totally agree with you, i find samus the fun character, she has a lot of tircks xD i just love her <3 samoose 'till death :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok now giving an reply to the Vs samus matchup issue:
i think she is not boring to fight against, although i agree with a lot of people about the hard to combo thing and the inmortality xD
but still she is not boring=(
and besides, how can you not resist her beauty :D

Geist

Smash Master
well played samus can have a very good approach, and if the player can do SWD 100% then samus has even more approach
I dissagree.
She's very limited to her approaches. She's very floaty and slow in midar, making a safe arial approach very difficult. Her ground moves are limited too. She lacks a good move that won't get her punished for using, save her ftilt. Most of her other moves function to stop others from approaching. And approaching with grab is just wierd.

It's humanly impossible to swd 100% of the time lol.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Hey Lexington, play a high level sheik, see how easy it is now.

Playing a high level sheik is the same as playing a high level Fox, only the fox has more unnecessary flashy ****. Key word, unnecessary.

lexington

Smash Cadet
I dissagree.
She's very limited to her approaches. She's very floaty and slow in midar, making a safe arial approach very difficult. Her ground moves are limited too. She lacks a good move that won't get her punished for using, save her ftilt. Most of her other moves function to stop others from approaching. And approaching with grab is just wierd.

It's humanly impossible to swd 100% of the time lol.
i not Entirely agree but you are kinda right xD

Hey Lexington, play a high level sheik, see how easy it is now.

Playing a high level sheik is the same as playing a high level Fox, only the fox has more unnecessary flashy ****. Key word, unnecessary.

hahaha i i don't mean it like if you use sheik you gonna be pro, what i mean is even if you are not a sheik player you still can give a good fight, maybe not winning but still give a very good fight

Geist

Smash Master
Well, I can see where you're coming from.
Naturally a higher level player will be able to approach better, and make up for the negatives of Samus's approach, but that goes hand-in-hand with any situation as well. Someone who is good at approaching with Samus still has to make up for her weaknesses, reguardless, and is still restricted by what she can do.

That goes without saying for practically anything else. Mewtwo is a terrible character, reguardless of how badly Taj ***** face with him.

Top Bottom