• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Update: Tether Recovery

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
This is one weird up+B. Might be able to control the angle and distance with the control stick, but even it automatically goes for the ledge, you still have to Spider-Pig your way up the rope with your opponent waiting for you deciding just how to spike you.

She might have a heck of a jump, but this recovery move may be purposefully flawed. She's designed to be a defenseless speed character, this built-in weakness says 'Don't fall off'. This could be her playing style, one bad move, or even hint at her being a transformation character which would complicate arguments even more.

But yes, cheap update, hope they end on a high note.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Interesting update... I don't see how people are already saying "see! Zamus is far worse than Samus just like we all assumed!". This doesn't really mean anything about how she plays in relation to Samus. How useful is Samus' up-B again?

a1j2h5

Smash Apprentice
This move kinda looks suicidal, I mean if you play against a Human player and even try to 'Zip line' up from a ledge, you know your not making it back on land.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Interesting update... I don't see how people are already saying "see! Zamus is far worse than Samus just like we all assumed!". This doesn't really mean anything about how she plays in relation to Samus. How useful is Samus' up-B again?
I'd say it's good, but it looks like it can be easily ledgeguarded.

Adi

Smash Lord
Lol you guys, this is going to be just as easy to edgeguard as grapple recovery was in Melee, which if you played your cards right was pretty hard, not to mention perfectly grappling the ledge allowed you to go to it and retain invincibility from grabbing it.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Okay, for one, all this speculating isn't going to answer any questions... Just wait until the game comes out and find out for yourself.

Another thing, this is probably my last post in the Brawl forums... Everywhere I go, I see all these scrubs whining and *****ing about every single detail; wether it be Zamus, Final Smashes, Items, or the updates themselves... You people really need to stop taking everything so seriously. Smash Bros. is a game that is supposed to be for everyone--from that 4-year old who can barely hold a controller, to a twenty-something who has spent countless hours analyzing every nuance of the game...

Bottom line: Not everything in this game is going to be tailored for competitive play-- so stop your ****ing whining and grow the hell up.

I'm out.

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
Guys think about this.......

(edit)Sakurai (edit)(LOL) wanted Zamus to have speedy grab, so using Z to grapple is out of the question.

Yet...he felt that she needed a grapple, f-b? no that will be cheap (which will give it the ability to be done more than once) unless it has major lag but that would ruin it as an attack move in a way. Well why not make her fb a recovery moves like some characters but with sweetspot abilities and give her a grapple with an upb.

Talendime

Smash Ace
Guys think about this.......

Samurai wanted Zamus to have speedy grab, so using Z to grapple is out of the question.

Yet...he felt that she needed a grapple, f-b? no that will be cheap (which will give it the ability to be done more than once) unless it has major lag but that would ruin it as an attack move in a way. Well why not make her fb a recovery moves like some characters but with sweetspot abilities and give her a grapple with an upb.

I get all that, and it makes good sense..
But my question is what other characters will be able to do this?

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Though it looks exactly like the grapple and hookshot from Melee, I think it might be more versitile, and maybe even longer in range. Like you could control the angel of the release.

But I'm so glad I didn't stay up for this.

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
Talendime: Perhaps Ivysaur?.....Thought he might get it in the form of a grab (z) because i believe he'll use his vines to grab an opponent in the ground.

M.K

Level 55
Doesn't this whole update **** in the face of everyone who though ELDIN BRIDGE was a WALK-OFF stage?

It doesn't look like it anymore !!!

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Doesn't this whole update **** in the face of everyone who though ELDIN BRIDGE was a WALK-OFF stage?

It doesn't look like it anymore !!!
This has been brought up a few times now.

It's still a walk-off—the section we see in the screenshots is a part of the bridge that's been blown up. See the uneven, broken looking edge?

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Nobody has suggested this yet?

What if Zamus just shoots the whip upwards at a set angle? Then if it hits a stage, you grab the side and can recover. If she's just normally standing on the ground, then it shoots up still but it acts as an attack somehow...maybe if you hit somebody above you, you launch up to them an smack them, or it pulls them down to you and THEN you smack them.

Kayn

Smash Cadet
Nobody has suggested this yet?

What if Zamus just shoots the whip upwards at a set angle? Then if it hits a stage, you grab the side and can recover. If she's just normally standing on the ground, then it shoots up still but it acts as an attack somehow...maybe if you hit somebody above you, you launch up to them an smack them, or it pulls them down to you and THEN you smack them.
Many people have suggested it. Read, my friend, read.

Tau

Smash Apprentice
meh, what a boring update.. i'm glad i didn't stay up for it last night.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Seriously if we dont get an adventure mode movie or another character tomorrow, this week will be officially weak, even WITH PT confirmed, but I wasnt as intrigued with him as I was with Ike... so IMO weak week (XD)...

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
This is NOT the same thing that was in melee.

Notice her position in the two pics, and where the tether latches. This move obviously homes in on the edges. Look how close it got! That can't possibly be luck. Plus the whip seeems to have enormous reach compared to the tether moves in Melee.
I laughed quite hard at this.
Any (Melee) Samus player would. :laugh:

Courtofdoom

Smash Apprentice
Iono if this was mentioned or not yet.. but whatever.

Has anyone placed Worms? Ninja rope?
It'd be cool if this was designed something like that.

I seriously doubt it.

...But that would be really cool.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Grow up guys. Every update doesn't have to be mind-blowing.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Obviously, some updates will be better than others, but the last 3 updates were'nt even exciting... Im use to it but what do you want me to say? that is awesome? sorry for saying stuff as it is...

Dark-Samus

Smash Rookie
lol you'r all exccited about this move haha.

this move is actually old :)
it actually works on melee ive always done it , actually my main is samus and link so i should know these moves its preatty cool u can go try it urselves

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
F you sakurai like we didn't know about that one.
YO R U SRS TETHER RECOVERIES

sakurai this is lame as hell. unless you show me a pic of snake throwing out a grappling hook as he's being smashed off the level, you're not gonna thrill me with this tether bs.
OMG! I think this is the last time I'm staying up this late to see the update... god this is the worst update EVER!
SONNAVA....

Stupid Sakurai, telling me things I already know...

*grumble grumble*
This update blows. I'd like to know how Zamus is supposed to recover with that on thin stages that float in the air. Why would they go and make it an Up-B rather than just keep it as Z or air dodge and then Z? Kind of a waste of a move. Maybe Zamus would be broken without a reaaaally crappy Up-B, kinda like Falcon and Ganondorf's aerial side-B move.

I also don't like that he said other characters will have this. Hopefully they won't screw up Samus and Link (and maybe YL if he's still around) and mess with their Up-B's and so called "tether recovery."

This update thing has basically been 4 disappointments per week. All I wanna know is that it's going online, I want to know there will be decent stages that don't kill you, and at least one big flat one like Final D, and I want to know that all the good characters won't be messed with too much, and that there will be enough good new characters to keep it interesting. Every other update is about as worthless as the stickers are... unless you're 12 and you think they're "fun."
Yes, showing your opinions is obviously allowed. Good or bad. However, this type of flaming is tiring, boring, and childish nopt to mention we see it EVERYWHERE on these forums.

I proably will be flamed for this but in games, I like collecting things. Most likely, in my spare time, I will collect stickers. Just how I collected the trophies in melee. I enjoyed that more then I enjoyed tournaments.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I agree with that Venus, some over react, like DYlan, he actually wanted to KILL sakurai for the smoke ball, or something like that, which is pretty ********...

WERE BOUND TO HAVE GOOD AND BAD UPDATES, showing opinions is ok but what Venus posted is crossing the line...

and dark samus were not n00bs, were not excited, on the contrary many are pissed, not me Im meh... its not like ur the only one that has tried out that recovery...

Nova X81

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4768-7615-3064
Switch FC
SW-1268-6324-2517
The question at hand now is, does Link get 2 shots at this?

Since they resuited him as TP Link, he might get 2 attempts at using his clawshot on the edge before landing again (since in Melee, he and Samus only get one attempt before landing). Unfortunately, I can smell another wasted update telling us just that if it's so <.<;

Eaode

Smash Champion
it'd be hella awesome if link could use the second clawshot to attack people while he's hangin on the edge.

Aerial Anti Air FTW

Or if he could grapple again. crazy recovery lol

i cant seem to form an intelligent post today...

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
if thats her up b, what if theres nothing to latch onto? great another ice climber jump with no nana
I'm willing to wager that there will be more graple-able stuff in Brawl than in Melee. Your recovery on some levels will be better than on others (levels with nice, latchable underbellies, like Fountain of Dreams), and I'm guessing that it will be able to be used as a long-ranged footstool jump, by latching other players. Also, I'm certain it can be aimed - Like nearly every other up-B in the game, and there's no telling what her side-B is.

Dark-Samus

Smash Rookie
For those who thinks its up special u deserve a smack on ur face.
This move is actually "Z" or grapple and if u dont believe me u can always try it on melee it works too :)
Am I the only one who knew this?

Stryks

Smash Hero
Smashbros.com said:
She uses her up special move! She just manages to latch on!
I dont know about you, but I can read, and if sakurai says its her Upb special, then it is...

and dont act like you know everything, everyone knows the Z return ability, but samus Upb is a longer recovery than usual, making it the best tether recovery seen so far...

Top Bottom