• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Update: Tether Recovery

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Hey, at least it's a unique kind of upB. That's good, yeah?

Maybe it's really useful and we, not being the genius Sakurai is, simply cannot graps it's potential.

Yeah, that must be it.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I made a joke guess that the update would be "You must recover!" part2...I wasn't all that off :ohwell:

At least we know what Zamus's ^B is now...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
i mean, he says that other can use thear whip to do this as well
and sheik has a whip
He didn't say "whip" specifically. He just said other characters had a grapple feature. . . like Link and Samus had in Melee.

Sheik's whip didn't grapple anything anyway.

This update doesn't refer to Sheik in the slightest.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
When he says "Up Special" Does he mean this?

If so, then it's Link's Spin Slash with Ledge grabbing ability o_o;
I hope they don't make Zero Suit Samus too good. That would defeat the narrative.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
I'm gonna say this outright, I didn't examine the thread thoroughly....don't flame me.

Anyways....1. WTF? 2. Thats an up+B? 3. SHINE BAIT

my hopes for Zamus keep getting crushed and crushed....why sakurai? why?

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
This update blows. I'd like to know how Zamus is supposed to recover with that on thin stages that float in the air. Why would they go and make it an Up-B rather than just keep it as Z or air dodge and then Z? Kind of a waste of a move. Maybe Zamus would be broken without a reaaaally crappy Up-B, kinda like Falcon and Ganondorf's aerial side-B move.

I also don't like that he said other characters will have this. Hopefully they won't screw up Samus and Link (and maybe YL if he's still around) and mess with their Up-B's and so called "tether recovery."

This update thing has basically been 4 disappointments per week. All I wanna know is that it's going online, I want to know there will be decent stages that don't kill you, and at least one big flat one like Final D, and I want to know that all the good characters won't be messed with too much, and that there will be enough good new characters to keep it interesting. Every other update is about as worthless as the stickers are... unless you're 12 and you think they're "fun."

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I would have only forgiven this update if it was ivysaur doing the tethering. but since it wasn't, updates like these are unforgivable. :mad:

Phred

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna say this outright, I didn't examine the thread thoroughly....don't flame me.

Anyways....1. WTF? 2. Thats an up+B? 3. SHINE BAIT

my hopes for Zamus keep getting crushed and crushed....why sakurai? why?
It's keeping to the source Material. Zero Suit Samus is supposed to really suck compared to Samus.
All she's probably going to have going for her is more speed. She'll be lighter and easier to kill.
Also, you need items to play as her ^_~

Truegamer#1

Smash Ace
Maybe Yoshi can do this too...
the update said others can do this as well, Yoshi might not have a up b recorvery, but if the creaters can put Yoshi's tongue to good use, he would have it similar to the grapling hook of Young Link, short but it can still save his life, its just my opinion :)

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Don't flame the update people, we wont be getting new characters every day. We all know there are going to be filler ones every once in a while.

And, I'd rather have this than no update at all.

myRoboticClaw

Smash Apprentice
The tether probably just homes in on the correct spot on the ledge. If it does that, it is probably pretty good, although it could only be used as a recovery move.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Am I the only one that thinks Yoshi should be able to Tether Recover? He's got the tongue for it.

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
Maybe Yoshi can do this too...
the update said others can do this as well, Yoshi might not have a up b recorvery, but if the creaters can put Yoshi's tongue to good use, he would have it similar to the grapling hook of Young Link, short but it can still save his life, its just my opinion :)
It's something to hope for, but they've already given Yoshi an added boost with his egg throwing so it can be used to recover. If they added even more help to his recovery it would probably be a bit too much.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one that thinks Yoshi should be able to Tether Recover? He's got the tongue for it.
This is true, at first I thought that it would really hurt him, but he's become so Yoshi's Story now, it makes perfect sense.
Remember those red ! balls? Yoshi could pull himself to those with his tongue :3

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Sakurai should have saved Trainer for Friday. We're all so hyped up from him that an update like this seems bad.

Its a good update, its just really bland in comparison.

Other than Zamus and Ivysaur, are their any other characters with whip-like weapons?
WW Link has a grappling hook
Simon Belmont has a whip

So when they're revealed, we'll have two new ones :D

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
Wow this discussion is kind of lame. With all the "OMG crap upB!" going around, I come to ask this question. How many characters have a seriously good offensive UpB in Melee? Link, Bowser, Luigi if you're a pimp?

Seriously. Not to mention we don't even know how it'll behave besides that. Her SideB is probably a horizontal recovery move?

*shrugs*

ShoDan

Smash Apprentice
sheik has whip like weapons
and i kinda like that this is her up B, it makes me think she is really strong and has to have a weak up B
and finnaly i can grab like a normal person

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
WW Link has a grappling hook
Simon Belmont has a whip

So when they're revealed, we'll have two new ones :D
I've been trying to tell myself that it'll be ok that there's no YL and now you gotta go and mention WW Link and ruin it. You're setting me up to be disappointed when it's just regular Link, or maybe some crazy Wolf Link/Midna crap. I'm crossing my fingers for YL or WW Link, but most people don't think it's happening. =/

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Five bucks says someone will make this into the next Boomerang Superjump.

The whip does look pretty long, though. The Grapple and Hookshot were both lacking in range, since Young/Link and Samus both had Up B recoveries.

Also, can anyone imagine Yoshi doing this with his tongue? Think of the pain.

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
Arg! Weak update yet again! I thought that since last week sucked donkey balls for updates, this one would rule, but after Pokemon Trainer this week has sucked even more! I'm really hopeful for a great friday update tommorow now, but if not, no biggie I guess. At least we GET updates.

pyrochemical

Smash Rookie
well might be fun for them who's gonna play with samus and ZS.
This isn't the lamest update!...or well close . The update with "stickers" made me question myself if i'm still looking at a super smash game..

Killer Tree

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing this means when link uses his hookshot to grapple a ledge, doesn't have to be completely horizontel to the ledge anymore, he can be at an angle. Which is a huge upgrade.

Rash

Smash Ace
I actually think it's realistic that Zamus' Up+B is a whip attack that can only be used for recovery in this specific form. It really shows how limited she is as a character without her power suit.

In other words, it looks like Sakurai isn't making everyone really cartoony. He's trying to keep characters like Zamus as human as possible.

El Cancel

Smash Journeyman
although her up+B is a grapple recovery, this IS different.

all grapple recoveries were limited to one use in melee until your feet touched the ground again. this may be used an infinite amount of times.

also, look at the caption for the second picture:
"She uses her up special move! She just manages to latch on!" is this a grapple that can be used at an angle? can the angle be controlled?

i think this whip may be useful in fighting as well. she may be able to attack from mid and long range with whip and pistol. and close range with A button moves.

edit: rash, good point. makes sense.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Hmm, at first I didn't even read that this was her Up Special. o_o

Anyways, that seems a bit odd. Although the range is increased in comparison to other moves like this, it still seems like it would be a difficult think to use in most cases. I wonder if it can attach itself better than those other tether recoveries.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
First of all, "tether recovery"? I believe my grandmother knew that one when she was a little girl.

Second of all, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I like this idea. I don't see this as a useless move for attack purposes (I actually see it having a different form on the ground, just like most UpB moves), and in fact I see some heartening things. One being the length. The other is that, as an UpB move, going airborne resets it.

Maybe I'm just more creative, but I'm thinking of all sorts of situations where I'm wondering what Sakurai's got planned for this move.

Dave the Perspicacious

Smash Journeyman
If i'm overlooking something, forgive me:

But perhaps her move is controllable after u input ^B. This would certainly make it a valid offensive and recovery move (Offensive in a similar way to sheik?). Recovery too predictable? Afraid of getting edge-guarded? Fool the opponent by flicking the control stick away and back to purposely miss and then grab the ledge. Although perhaps this would not be that practical?

Perhaps one of her B moves changes her weapons state granting her different B moves for each state - say \/B was the move that toggled the state? She could have an offensive ^B as well as a recovery ^B, meaning she really would really have lots of cool tricks. Certainly possible seeing the effort they put into Pokémon Trainer.

Just some speculation - sorry if mentioned previously,

Dave

Top Bottom