• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Update: Stickers

CORRUPTiON

Smash Apprentice
Didn't read all the posts so I don't know if someone already said this. It mentioned that you could save what you made. Could this potentially be a custom icon for online play? Just for a bit of customization, so everybody doesn't look exactly the same.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
I think they're kind of funny actually, I just hope for that they aren't replacing the trophies. My theory: All Assist-trophies are also collectable trophies. Also there are collectable trophies that aren't AT's. The stickers-thing is just an extra I guess...

This would be the best case scenrio obviously, let's hope Sakurai meant by that.. we will see everything in a few months anyways though.

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
How people here could possibly think that these stickers replace the trophies is beyond me. Just think about it. Since Smash64, the main theme of the franchise has been the concept of TROPHIES coming to life and fighting each other. NOT STICKERS. IMO, I can't see how a new feature in the game could completely overthrow the main theme of the game and replace it, especially when we already know that the theme has returned. It's as simple as that.

Then there is the fact that trophies being a collectable was MENTIONED IN THE **** UPDATE. Why would Sakurai compare trophies to stickers if they weren't both in the game? He could have just as easily said "stickers can be collected as rewards for playing" in typical Sakurai fashion without mentioning trophies at all. And you may say that "Sakurai is just comparing them because they are in the same franchise and they are collected similarly", but in reality, they're not. In Melee, you got trophies by finding them in 1P mode, buying them, or earning them by completing 1P mode. Some trophies were earned by playing VS mode, but you had to play ALOT and it had to be a milestone. It looks like with stickers though, you find them by simply getting KOs, playing a single VS mode match, or perhaps playing minigames a little bit. So they are actually collected quite differently, at least according to what Sakurai was implying. With that being said, if both are collected in different ways, then why would Sakurai scrap one of them? It makes no sence, and would only happen if he and his team got REALLY LAZY while making the game.

You may also say that "the trophies haven't had an update yet, so ha!" Well that's just stupid. Trophies haven't had an update yet, but neither have several other features from Melee that are quite obviously returning, like Tournament mode. That doesn't mean it's not in the game. Sakurai is trying to advertise the game here guys. Why would he give us updates about things that were in the last game when we could give us updates about new things? It's bad advertising. And when you think about it, that may be another reason why trophies were mentioned. Sakurai may not have wanted to give trophies their own update because of bad advertising, but he mentioned them in the stickers update to confirm them so fans wouldn't think that the stickers were replacing them. He probably just dind't think it over alot though, and ended up potentially confirming AND deconfirming them at the same time. But with the reasons I mentioned before, I think that trophies have a 90% of returning anyway, and thus people should stop saying that they have been replaced.

On another note, I think these stickers are a cool addition. As long as they don't replace anything, I think any new feature is great, and if people don't like them, then people shouldn't play with them. It's as simple as that.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Can't say I saw this coming.

*decides against reading through the past 12 pages to find out if anyone's already answered this forth-coming question*

Did anyone else find the line "This...is a sticker" ridiculously funny? Like, A LOT funnier than it should've been?

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
I don't think the trophies are out. Sakurai said and I quote!

"I’d like to introduce a new collection element to the game—stickers."

He siad "a" not "The new collection element to the game."

"Stickers are easier to get a hold of than trophies. Just play the game and you’ll start to earn them as rewards."

Which means it is easier to get stickers than trophies in the game. Why else would he compare them if the trpohies were out?

This is kinda of what Foggy said and I'm glad I'm not the only one that caught this. You rock dude!

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Their not even 3D.

And a lot of the stickers are just pictures you can get from the net.

The one with Ike has been around for years.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
these stickers suck, and yea most of these stickers look like they were just taken off the net and placed them in the game

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
yea that's what I was just thinking, they could have at least made some new artwork, but I guess since it's a scrapbook it's suppose to have outdated pictures

krynny

Smash Cadet
anyone remember what that Cube (die?) is from? at first glance i thought it was from Custom Robo on the GC. anyone else ever play that game and remember?

mario-man

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what I think about these stickers. They could have promise, but I'd rather have a bunch of all new trophies.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Your grumpy kid link avatar suits you rather well, but why am I wasting my time with you? You generate no drama. Wake me up when dylan posts something.
I know you're obsessed with me and all, but could you try being less of a trend following loser child?

BEEF! xP

I still think stickers are lame. Almost as lame as 4chan, but not quite. They'd have to have barbie stickers to compete with your anime obsessed loser faces.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
They stickers are cool, I don't know why everyone is complaining about them. Geez guys, Sakurai can't announce someone as cool as the Trainer everyday. Don't get too spoiled now. It seems like people will complain about anything these days.
No one expects a Pokemon Trainer sized update everyday, but be honest—the stickers are kind of lame. I mean, I'm certainly grateful we get updates at all, but there's nothing wrong with showing your dislike for something like this. I don't see what kind of purpose the stickers will actually serve. I guess someone will get into it. Yay for them. On to the next update.

We don't need to get something as huge and controversial at Red, but. . . basically anything is better than stickers. At least, for most people, it seems.

I know you're obsessed with me and all, but could you try being less of a trend following loser child?

BEEF! xP

I still think stickers are lame. Almost as lame as 4chan, but not quite. They'd have to have barbie stickers to compete with your anime obsessed loser faces.
4chan is just horrible.

I don't really care about the collection thing, I just want the core game.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
At first I was like, "**** these things are stupid, trophies are way cooler." But then I looked back and re-read the update, and knew that trophies will be back, meaning the stickers aren't replacing them. I was scared for a brief moment.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I like how some people are complaining about how they are investing too much time in "fluff" and stupid gimmicks the game doesn't need at all...
And others are complaining about them not spending enough time making own artwork for stickers.

lulz

This whole sticker feature is so simple it could've been programmed by an AT student in a day and they probably got the images by just sending a mail to somewhere in Nintendo like "Yo, marketing/artwork/something dudes, send us some pictures of the following:" and then copy&pasted those they liked.
2 days of work.
Fluffy indeed.
Did anyone else find the line "This...is a sticker" ridiculously funny? Like, A LOT funnier than it should've been?
I found it quite amusing, but not ridiculously so.
Your posts on the other hand... :grin:

Tbacksha

Smash Apprentice
The only use I see for this is making bad animation… that is if you can rotate the stickers, but if you can't do that they're quite useless.

Top Bottom