• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New UCD Tournament Jan 9, 2010

Shroomed

Smash Master
you should cancel this =(

everyone's gonna go to the SFSU tourney cuz it's so much closer

i freakin wanted to play paul too

einthesuperdog

Smash Journeyman
I think we'll just turn this into a smashfest, and whoever shows up shows up. If people want to turn it into a small tournament then they can go ahead and make that decision at the time. Hopefully I'll see someone there.

Kheffin

Smash Rookie
Event says 12-8, but you can probably leave whenever. Dunno if you'll get this in time.

Kheffin

Smash Rookie
Dunno where to ask this, so I guess I'll just ask here and hope someone knowledgeable sees it.

In a pool format, the people who advance first go by W-L record; if the W-L record is the same, then the game count happens. Who would advance in the case of:

Person A) 8-2, who went 0-2 against Person C and 2-0'd everyone (5-1 win record)
Person B) 9-3, who beats C 2-0, loses to A 1-2, beats everyone else 2-0 except one other person, who he 2-1's (5-1 win record)
Person C) 8-2, who 2-0'd everyone else and loses only to B (5-1 win record)

Where we had pools of 6, top 2 advancing.

VANS

Smash Ace
who won? i wish i stayed longer =[

and jeffrey, i believe its person B gets 1st seed, then person C gets 2nd seed
cuz u go by game wins
in the case theres a tie, u choose whoever won out of the 2

i could be completely wrong tho =l

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
The answer is C.
B's game win percentage is 75% (9/12), A's and C's are both 80% (8/10), so B is eliminated first.
Then between A and C, C has the head-to-head, so he gets the spot.

pockyD

Smash Legend
FWIW, at pound 4, first tiebreaker is H2H

as it should be

this doesn't relate directly to your 3-way tie scenario but i'm just throwing it out there

Kheffin

Smash Rookie
Vanessa: I think Tristan won 10-0-ing the second pool. I'm not sure though because Paul only wrote initials on the list because he was lazy. And I just realized my above scenario doesn't make any sense because A should have 3 losses, but I'm too lazy to fix; Sheridan answered my question anyways.

battousai555

Smash Ace
Vanessa: I think Tristan won 10-0-ing the second pool. I'm not sure though because Paul only wrote initials on the list because he was lazy. And I just realized my above scenario doesn't make any sense because A should have 3 losses, but I'm too lazy to fix; Sheridan answered my question anyways.
Yeah. I just lucked out because Ericson was having a "I just want to have fun and play Falcon" day.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
every time i've played ericson, it was really fun.
davis is cool peepes and i should've came over to smash with you guys.

MacD

Banned via Administration
er, i meant like if set wise we both go 5-1 but my game record is like 10-3 and his is 10-2 it would go head to head

or am i making this more complicated than it is

SuperRad

Smash Master
I dont get why match record should count more than head to head. I know that you [Sheridan] have said that it is somehow a 'better indicator' of how people will do in the bracket or something, but I think head to head is a better indicator for that.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I dont get why match record should count more than head to head. I know that you [Sheridan] have said that it is somehow a 'better indicator' of how people will do in the bracket or something, but I think head to head is a better indicator for that.
I don't really think it is an indicator at all. I see it as just picking the result of one specific match arbitrarily. And beyond that, you can have all sorts of variance and extenuating circumstances come into play if you focus on one set; if you take game record those have a better chance of averaging out. Of course this is all based on principle and theory, I doubt anyone has actually taken statistics on these kinds of things.

einthesuperdog

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a fun day. I have to apologize sincerely for the weirdness at the beginning. I was not around to handle things because I got called away to work. I had figured that no one was going to show up, and the TV situation would settle itself, but clearly I was wrong on both accounts. Thanks Paul, Ericson, and Tristan for stepping up.

darkatma

Smash Hero
thanks paul for the peach ditto practice :D
and we went even in peach dittos :p, I wasn't anywhere close to whooping you in any of the games
plus you whooped all my alts =[

I'm gonna camp everyone in the midwest now rofl

Pink Shinobi

Smash Ace
thanks paul for the peach ditto practice :D
and we went even in peach dittos :p, I wasn't anywhere close to whooping you in any of the games
plus you whooped all my alts =[

I'm gonna camp everyone in the midwest now rofl
camp away my friend. don't forget the sticks and marshmallows. ;) bug spray too cuz midwest has hella mosquitoes.

Top Bottom