• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Training Idea

voorhese

Smash Master
well i know that being able to watch your opponent, while using your peripheral vision to pay attention to your own character, so i set up another tv on both sides of my tv so i can see them with my peripherals, and im thinking it might make it easier for me to just watch my opponent later, if not its still fun to play on 3 tv's at the same time lol

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkiQns6I4oM

jason voorhese: yah its pretty crazy, i can watch movies on them to lol
Overload: nice
jason voorhese: or 1 tv, but who uses only 1 tv?
Overload: the lame people
jason voorhese: lol, people who care about electricity bills
Overload: lol
jason voorhese: cuz i have 3 tv's, 2 vcr's and 1 GC, all hooked up to play by myself (against a computer)
Overload: lmao
jason voorhese: i guess its not to "green" is it?
Overload: just unplug your refrigerator while you smash, it'll even out
jason voorhese: yah lol
Overload: lol
jason voorhese: do you mind if i quote this for the thread?
Overload: fine by me
jason voorhese: thx sir

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
:urg: The only problems with this is 1. You have 3 TV's and the other problem is it does nothing for you in the long run. Because In actual tourney it'll be like having your training wheels suddenly snatched off. So it's good to use at home I guess an it's pretty cool but it will be more of a crutch then a boost in the long run.

Okay. countdown to ArcNatural's epic pwnage of this thread starts.....NOW!!!

voorhese

Smash Master
idk, the point is not that im trying to get used to 3 tvs, its that the other 2 i dont really pay attention to by thinking about it, but my eyes still can see them, and it will make my eyes see better while focusing on 1 thing

idk if it will work yet, ill ask 1 of my teachers who knows about eyes a lot

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
idk, the point is not that im trying to get used to 3 tvs, its that the other 2 i dont really pay attention to by thinking about it, but my eyes still can see them, and it will make my eyes see better while focusing on 1 thing

idk if it will work yet, ill ask 1 of my teachers who knows about eyes a lot
I'm not the smartest guy but it seems to me that over time your eyes will eventually start to go bad from this kinda set up. Ever see the Warnings on the Box's of games? Well....I imagine 3 t.v.'s will only make things worse. For the record it's true. A friend of mine had a Seizure from to much Wind Waker a few years back.:laugh:

voorhese

Smash Master
im not saying make a setup like this yet, im going to test it, and ill let everyone know if it helped me

L__

Smash Master
Just because it helps you doesn't mean it's going to help everyone else -__________-

Meneks

Smash Lord
Uhh, I'm not going to go into detail because im sure you could care less, and that i know that there is a high chance that anything that i would have said might not even be taken into consideration due to the fact that you might come up with some reply to counter that which i would have said.. And then i probably would've given another reply..and so on and so forth

And i'm just not up for that senseless blatter..

comprende?

L__

Smash Master
lol...what

I was being honest

I don't know how I was being an idiot

and I was curious

Super Touhey

Smash Cadet
I assume the point of this training would be to make it easier for you to concentrate on multiple targets. I don't really think this will help too much. It could help for doubles I guess. Also, maybe if you played with movies on the other screens and attempted to focus only on smash it would help you to avoid distractions.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I assume the point of this training would be to make it easier for you to concentrate on multiple targets. I don't really think this will help too much. It could help for doubles I guess. Also, maybe if you played with movies on the other screens and attempted to focus only on smash it would help you to avoid distractions.
ROM2 will be my first BIG Tourney so to help prepare I've started a simular training to get prepared for the noise.

I turn to the spanish channel and turn the volume up(Can't understand it at all) Then I turn on some radio station with Music I don't like or a station that barely plays and turn the volume up to match the TV volume. I then on my Smash T.V. Play as long as I can and try to practice everything while I have distractions.

.HanKiller.

Smash Rookie
"Peripheral vision is weaker in humans, compared with other animals, especially at distinguishing color and shape. This is because receptor cells on the retina are greater at the center and lowest at the edges."

According to this, it would be difficult to improve your peripheral vision without physically modifying the cells on the retina. Your experiment would be akin to staring at a spot for hours on end in an attempt to see an atom.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yo dawg I herd you like watching TV so we put TV's next to your TV so you could watch TV while watching TV.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

edit:
"Peripheral vision is weaker in humans, compared with other animals, especially at distinguishing color and shape. This is because receptor cells on the retina are greater at the center and lowest at the edges."

According to this, it would be difficult to improve your peripheral vision without physically modifying the cells on the retina. Your experiment would be akin to staring at a spot for hours on end in an attempt to see an atom.
while the receptors in your eyes would likely not change, your brain would be trained better to understand and interpret the signals coming from the peripheral

tubes

Smash Ace
This looks pretty pointless. Your just going to end up paying attention to your own character on all 3 Tv's or ignore 2 of em and pay attention to your own character on 1. A much better strategy would be to just STARE AT YOUR OPPONENT, YOUR ONLY ALLOWED TO LOOK DIRECTLY AT YOUR OWN CHARACTER IF YOU MIGHT SUICIDE OTHERWISE.

Mr Physych

Smash Apprentice
so im confused, with this setup are you watching your opponent on the center tv and yourself on the outer two or what, i dont quite see how this actually assists play, in my opinion it seems like it would just split your attention more than anything.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
What are you watching besides your opponent that would require moar screens?
Unless, you know, your opponent is playing Bowser. He's pretty fat.

voorhese

Smash Master
well my idea is that because im playing normally on 1 tv w/ 2 surrounding it, and because its the same image it will sharpen my peripheral vision, AND THE NEXT STEP is to learn to just watch my opponent

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
He wants to do it to improve his peripheral vision

God you guys are ********
I think...Special is a better way of putting it.....Maybe your just being Anti-Douchebag because you think a bunch of smashers are gonna run someone away from the boards for his Idea.....If the kids not tough enough maybe he should be.......That doesn't seem to be the case though. He's a tough kid but his Idea is just not good for his health is all. Not to mention it will hurt him in the long run. If he can't focus on TV's that size. He's got a bigger problem. My TV at home is twice as Big because I play other games on it....but it took me along time to be able to cover the whole screen with my eyes. Now when I play on much smaller T.V's I don't have a problem at all.

Top Bottom