• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New tier list? UPDATED TIER LIST

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Well, there's two reasons I'm making this. First, Hyrule is banned so Link and Fox are much worse and characters like Falcon and DK are much better now that Dreamland is a guarenteed first stage. Second, Pikachu seems less dominating wherever you look, but it's probably because nobody plays him. It's almost like a soft ban. So with this in mind :

S Tier :
- Pikachu
A Tier :
- Kirby
- Falcon
- Fox
B Tier :
- Mario
- Yoshi
C Tier :
- DK
- Jiggs
D Tier
- Luigi
- Ness
- Link
- Samus

Just my opinions so take it with a grain of salt. Also keep in mind this is probably the most balanced smash game along with Smash 4, so the only non-viable characters could just be Samus and Link.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
fox is better on hyrule than dl, but he's still way better than mario

i wouldnt say samus and link aren't viable either, but then again i personally think luigi is the wrost (god luigi sucks), so idk

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
S Tier :
- Pikachu
A Tier :
- Kirby
- Falcon
- Fox
B Tier :
- Mario
- Yoshi
C Tier
- DK
- Jigglypuff
D Tier
- Luigi
- Ness
- Samus
- Link

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
S Tier :
- Pikachu
A Tier :
- Kirby
- Falcon
- Fox
B Tier :
- Mario
- Yoshi
C Tier
- DK
- Jigglypuff
D Tier
- Luigi
- Ness
- Samus
- Link
Ness is not THAT bad. At least a tie with Luigi, but other than that, that's a pretty awesome tier list.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Nah. Ness has some really bad MUs.

I agree with SS except for Link. I think Link on DL is under Luigi and higher than Ness.

20XX Fox is higher on the tier list but he hasn't been unlocked yet.

Another thing: an updated MU list for the DL only ruleset would be good.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Nah. Ness has some really bad MUs.

I agree with SS except for Link. I think Link on DL is under Luigi and higher than Ness.

20XX Fox is higher on the tier list but he hasn't been unlocked yet.

Another thing: an updated MU list for the DL only ruleset would be good.
Bad MUs for Ness are Rat and Fox, but Fox was, in a way, nerfed and Rat is seldom played nowadays. Ness has great movement especially when platforms are involved like in Dreamland, his combos are slept on, his spike/meteor is amazing, he can deal with projectiles like Mario's fireball and Fox's laser thanks to his PSI Magnet, and his recovery has a ton of mileage even if it is gimpable ( though a lot of the time, Ness players mess up his recovery and think it's bad for that reason ). He has a pretty good chance of winning some games, and Link is garbage compared to Ness. Luigi has up b combos, a good recovery, fireballs, and that's it. I know that his up b is so devastating it makes up for Luigi's downfalls, and Luigi and Ness have are even when it comes to matchups which is why I said even to be more agreeable.

BananaBolts

People still play Pika. Not as much but he's still a big threat.

Luigi's down b is typically a better combo finisher.

Ness vs Falcon would be a lot worse if Falcon wasn't so heavy. It's still pretty bad for Ness though.
Ness vs Kirby looks pretty rough because Kirby dominates airspace due to Ness' lack of fast, vertical movement.
Ness vs Link is in Link's favor ecause he has better approach and spacing options. Ness only gets away with stuff because Link can't go very deep to edgeguard and Link is heavy with the fastest falling speed, otherwise Link beats Ness in my eyes.

As for Link being bad on DL, people treat him the same way as Ness; they immediately dismiss him as viable. Link has so many spacing options it's unbelievable, utilizing those options is difficult though. Link only loses to edgegaurding, giving or receiving.

Luigi has a better recovery than Ness and he's got a far better projectile. Luigi wins aerial battles better than Ness and he can space better but Ness can convert hits into combos easier, Ness has a hard time landing those hits too. I blame the short appendages. Luigi's platform movement is worse than Ness' but it isn't terrible. I still think Luigi should be above Ness on the tier list.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
People still play Pika. Not as much but he's still a big threat.

Luigi's down b is typically a better combo finisher.

Ness vs Falcon would be a lot worse if Falcon wasn't so heavy. It's still pretty bad for Ness though.
Ness vs Kirby looks pretty rough because Kirby dominates airspace due to Ness' lack of fast, vertical movement.
Ness vs Link is in Link's favor ecause he has better approach and spacing options. Ness only gets away with stuff because Link can't go very deep to edgeguard and Link is heavy with the fastest falling speed, otherwise Link beats Ness in my eyes.

As for Link being bad on DL, people treat him the same way as Ness; they immediately dismiss him as viable. Link has so many spacing options it's unbelievable, utilizing those options is difficult though. Link only loses to edgegaurding, giving or receiving.

Luigi has a better recovery than Ness and he's got a far better projectile. Luigi wins aerial battles better than Ness and he can space better but Ness can convert hits into combos easier, Ness has a hard time landing those hits too. I blame the short appendages. Luigi's platform movement is worse than Ness' but it isn't terrible. I still think Luigi should be above Ness on the tier list.
Luigi's down b is a safer and more reliable finisher, but not better,

Tell me something I don't know. Ness has poor range, and that's been established since forever, but actually having good spacing and reads being Ness is the reason why the matchups aren't so bad. It's part of being Ness. The only thing Link can do is space himself and throw projectiles, but Ness can easily dodge them with his godlike platform movement and combo Link to death easily thanks to his long recovery that lets him go really deep. You say Kirby dominates the air, well with good spacing you can bait and punish something like a bair to get a combo.

Link only has spacing, projectiles, and combos( Ness has more effective and more versatile combos though ). What the **** is a spacing option or a "giving or receiving". You are supposes to space everything. It's semi agreeable that Samus is worse than Link, but nobody else is as bad as Link.

Luig's recovery and Ness's recovery are the same since they both cover a long distance and get gimps fairly easy. Ness has better aerial play because of his DJC and fast aerials like dair and nair. Luigi can barely approach even with a projectile. Since when did Luigi ever have it easy getting a hit? Also, Ness's range is just as short as Luigi's range so I don't know where this "Ness-has-the-worst-range-in-the-game" thing is coming from.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Luigi's recovery is far better than Ness'. Once Ness is offstage, he shouldn't get back on. Luigi on the other hand has one of the best recoveries in the game, making it harder to gimp and edgeguard him. Throw in his ability to actually do something while recovering (fireball, aerial, etc.) and Ness' recovery doesn't even compare.

Link is actually very good at keeping distance between him and the opponent. With a bomb in his hand, he can stuff most of Ness' approaches since Ness doesn't have the speed to get around it as easily as other characters. Link loses primarily because of his generally laggy ground moves, 7 frame jump, and a terrible recovery.

Ness has great movement especially when platforms are involved like in Dreamland, his combos are slept on, his spike/meteor is amazing, he can deal with projectiles like Mario's fireball and Fox's laser thanks to his PSI Magnet
Ness' techchasing potential with D-air is great. However, PSI Magnet won't help him much against projectiles because it's a laggy move. Even after absorbing a projectile, he's stuck in PSI Magnet for a while and has to wait to drop it before he can do anything. If a Mario player is running in with a fireball, Mario can often grab Ness before he gets out of lag. Ness' aerials are much better for dealing with projectiles like Mario's fireballs than PSI Magnet, which is primarily used to grab the ledge quicker.

Ness' onstage presence is great, but the reason he's so low is because of his horrendous offstage game, which is just one grab away.

Last edited:

BananaBolts

You said this to counter what I said:
The only thing Link can do is space himself and throw projectiles, but Ness can easily dodge them with his godlike platform movement and combo Link to death easily thanks to his long recovery that lets him go really deep.
and then you immediately said this to help the viability of Ness:
You say Kirby dominates the air, well with good spacing you can bait and punish something like a bair to get a combo.
You said Link can only space and throw projectiles so that's why he sucks and then you go on to say that Ness doesn't suck in the air because he can space his moves. What? You just showed some extreme bias towards Ness.

And then there's this:
Link only has spacing, projectiles, and combos( Ness has more effective and more versatile combos though ). What the **** is a spacing option or a "giving or receiving". You are supposes to space everything. It's semi agreeable that Samus is worse than Link, but nobody else is as bad as Link.
This is what I said previously: "he has better approach and spacing options"
Link definitely has more options so the mix-ups are FAR better when more options exist. It's harder to read a Link main with very few habits as opposed to a Ness main with very few habits.

( Ness has more effective and more versatile combos though )
Huh?
Link (arguably) has the most versatile combos in the entire game. With his projectiles and the vast array of ways to use them, Link has the most versatile combos. More options create more potential which is why Fox has (figuratively) been making his way up the tier list in people's minds. Fox is gaining more options like shine landing for an example.

Ness has effective combos, yes, but not necessarily more effective than Link's.

As for Luigi, he is one of the hardest characters to combo. His floaty behavior and frame 1 hitbox on down-b give him the ability to escape combos quickly and effectively. This alone gives Luigi a better spot on the tier list than he probably deserves. When it comes to combos, Luigi's up-b doesn't come out until frame 2 while down-b comes out on frame 1.
Luigi's down b is a safer and more reliable finisher, but not better
I don't get it... safer and more reliable means it IS better. Up-b only offers more KB. It's not usually the better option.

Last edited:

Twilight Sparkle

I don't play Luigi/DK/Samus much
I main Ness

Can confirm that Ness sucks.

Ty

I'd place Fox above Falcon and put Ness between Link and Samus with Samus being last, even if Ness has a pretty bad MU against Samus more so than he does against Link. Ness' lack of vertical speed hinders him in the air quite a bit and limits his options both on and off the stage. His only saving factor is his DJC for combo potential which with experience can really do some damage, and of course his gimp game. However, get hit/thrown off the stage even once and that's a stock lost. His PKT2 is pretty darn predictable no matter how you use it, and using down-b to sweet spot the ledge leaves him vulnerable for an edgeguard if not properly timed or if the opponent sees it coming. You have to invest in Ness so much for him to compete against anyone else in any competetive level, and the payoff for that time is a lot less then if you would have invested that same amount of time in higher tier characters like Pika/Falcon/Kirby.

Annex

Smash Ace
Pika
Kirby

Falcon
Fox

Yoshi
Mario
DK

Puff
Link

Luigi
Samus
Ness

MU charts are the most important though

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
You said this to counter what I said:
and then you immediately said this to help the viability of Ness:

You said Link can only space and throw projectiles so that's why he sucks and then you go on to say that Ness doesn't suck in the air because he can space his moves. What? You just showed some extreme bias towards Ness.

And then there's this:

This is what I said previously: "he has better approach and spacing options"
Link definitely has more options so the mix-ups are FAR better when more options exist. It's harder to read a Link main with very few habits as opposed to a Ness main with very few habits.

Huh?
Link (arguably) has the most versatile combos in the entire game. With his projectiles and the vast array of ways to use them, Link has the most versatile combos. More options create more potential which is why Fox has (figuratively) been making his way up the tier list in people's minds. Fox is gaining more options like shine landing for an example.

Ness has effective combos, yes, but not necessarily more effective than Link's.

As for Luigi, he is one of the hardest characters to combo. His floaty behavior and frame 1 hitbox on down-b give him the ability to escape combos quickly and effectively. This alone gives Luigi a better spot on the tier list than he probably deserves. When it comes to combos, Luigi's up-b doesn't come out until frame 3 while down-b comes out on frame 1.

I don't get it... safer and more reliable means it IS better. Up-b only offers more KB. It's not usually the better option.
I was talking about the matchup.

I guess you don't know what real spacing is. It's more than hitting with the tip of your attacks : it has to do with positioning and to clarify a bit more, range is not how big a hitbox is but it's sort of like the area where you can do stuff. That's why a running aerial counts as range and spacing correctly to bait and punish an attack would be to weave in and out of that running aerial range.

Angle boomerang and throw bombs and throw out random attacks. Wow! That is so hard to read lol just joking. Too many options man! Is this Melee Fox? Apples and oranges man. They have different strengths so we have to judge them a certain way.

You are joking right? What's so versatile about angling a boomerang and throwing bombs up. Link's combo game was excellent when Hyrule's the stage because of the **** tent and other things, but now? Meh. And projectiles rarely ever get used during a combo WTF are you saying.

Ness's combos end in a stock while Link either resets it to neutral or starts an edgeguard.

Fine, Luigi is better than Ness, but anyone who thinks Link is better than Ness is kidding themselves. Ness has better combos, better recovery( that's gotta mean something ), slightly better matchups, better gimping game, and better movement via platforms while Link has a better neutral game, better range, and maybe better edgeguarding.

Isai literally beats people just by doing up air chain to up b. How is that not better? You just need to be good at hitting it.
I main Ness

Can confirm that Ness sucks.

Ty

I'd place Fox above Falcon and put Ness between Link and Samus with Samus being last, even if Ness has a pretty bad MU against Samus more so than he does against Link. Ness' lack of vertical speed hinders him in the air quite a bit and limits his options both on and off the stage. His only saving factor is his DJC for combo potential which with experience can really do some damage, and of course his gimp game. However, get hit/thrown off the stage even once and that's a stock lost. His PKT2 is pretty darn predictable no matter how you use it, and using down-b to sweet spot the ledge leaves him vulnerable for an edgeguard if not properly timed or if the opponent sees it coming. You have to invest in Ness so much for him to compete against anyone else in any competetive level, and the payoff for that time is a lot less then if you would have invested that same amount of time in higher tier characters like Pika/Falcon/Kirby.
I feel like you are not giving his DJC enough credit. But the thing is, you can try to recover with Ness. You can mixup your up b angles and down b ledge grabs. What you say about investing more than top tiers goes for every low tier in every game and especially this one. That's why it's irrelevant. I'm argueing that Ness is better than Link. You've yet to say anything about that.
Pika
Kirby

Falcon
Fox

Yoshi
Mario
DK

Puff
Link

Luigi
Samus
Ness

MU charts are the most important though
Yoshi better than Mario( matchups alone make Mario better )? Link better than Luigi( Luigi has better matchups, better recovery by far, and much better combos )? Ness the worst character? What?

Last edited:

Twilight Sparkle

@ leekslap leekslap
No no, I'm well aware of his DJC capabilities, trust me.
Ask anyone else who's fought my Ness (LD and random online players).

Though I feel that Ness generally does better than Link (despite having to dodge countless bombs and boomerangs), he does terrible against Samus.
..And most other characters for that matter.

For that reason alone it's suffice to put Ness just above Samus and below Link.
Now if we were talking about JP Ness that would be a different story~

If some put Ness at the very bottom, I wouldn't argue too much.

Also, how long have you been in the competitive 64 scene?

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
@ leekslap leekslap
No no, I'm well aware of his DJC capabilities, trust me.
Ask anyone else who's fought my Ness (LD and random online players).

Though I feel that Ness generally does better than Link (despite having to dodge countless bombs and boomerangs), he does terrible against Samus.
..And most other characters for that matter.

For that reason alone it's suffice to put Ness just above Samus and below Link.
Now if we were talking about JP Ness that would be a different story~

If some put Ness at the very bottom, I wouldn't argue too much.

Also, how long have you been in the competitive 64 scene?
Isn't Samus one of Ness's winning matchups? I don't understand.

2 years... 1 year... Actually 2 months. Well, 1 and 1/2 months( the honest truth ), but I've been in Project M and Melee for way longer than that so I know some stuff. I do research whenever I get into anything.

BananaBolts

I guess you don't know what real spacing is. It's more than hitting with the tip of your attacks : it has to do with positioning and to clarify a bit more, range is not how big a hitbox is but it's sort of like the area where you can do stuff. That's why a running aerial counts as range and spacing correctly to bait and punish an attack would be to weave in and out of that running aerial range.
I know exactly what real spacing is. I main Falcon in Melee and PM so dash dancing in and out of attack ranges is second nature. Often times spacing doesn't even involve attacks, I know. Link can use a wall of projectiles to CONTROL SPACE. His spacing IS throwing projectiles because his sprint speed and jump squat is crap!

Angle boomerang and throw bombs and throw out random attacks. Wow! That is so hard to read lol just joking.
I don't see what you aren't understanding. At almost any given time, Link has more options in effective move choice therefore he's going to be harder to predict. I clearly stated, "It's harder to read a Link main with very few habits..."
Don't be so condescending and sarcastic, it makes your argument look terrible.

You are joking right? What's so versatile about angling a boomerang and throwing bombs up.
I'll be that guy who brings the dictionary into things.
"versatile
: able to do many different things
: having many different uses"

Link's bomb(s) and boomerang can be placed in so many places at any point in time and in any combination AND they interact in several ways. Btw, there's more than three angles for the boomerang if you didn't know.

Ness's combos end in a stock while Link either resets it to neutral or starts an edgeguard.
In the Link vs Ness MU, I can agree with this. However, a good Link main will create an edgeguard situation 9times/10.

Fine, Luigi is better than Ness, but anyone who thinks Link is better than Ness is kidding themselves. Ness has better combos, better recovery( that's gotta mean something ), slightly better matchups, better gimping game, and better movement via platforms while Link has a better neutral game, better range, and maybe better edgeguarding.

Isai literally beats people just by doing up air chain to up b. How is that not better? You just need to be good at hitting it.
Ness has a better recovery tool but he sucks at getting back onstage in a close-to-the-stage situation. Link has better mixups when short recoveries are possible but Ness wins in long recoveries.

Link probably gets better edgeguarding because Ness sacrifices a lot when he needs his double jump to edgeguard. (offstage)

Ness has easier combos than Link but he doesn't necessarily have better ones. Don't get me wrong, Ness has some very hard to execute combos but his DJC combos are rather easy. A Link that can juggle is a Link that can win. Ness wins gimp, yes. Mostly due to his excellent throws but yes.

I have no idea what you're getting at with that shot at Isai. If you beat someone, then you've beat them. It doesn't matter how it happened. I could do Falcon's uair x6 -> up-b or I could do some fancy reverse hitbox shenanigans, either way I still took the stock. I don't understand why it matters what combo you perform or even how difficult it is. (If you're playing friendlies, then show off. If you're playing in a tournament, then play to win.)

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I know exactly what real spacing is. I main Falcon in Melee and PM so dash dancing in and out of attack ranges is second nature. Often times spacing doesn't even involve attacks, I know. Link can use a wall of projectiles to CONTROL SPACE. His spacing IS throwing projectiles because his sprint speed and jump squat is crap!

I don't see what you aren't understanding. At almost any given time, Link has more options in effective move choice therefore he's going to be harder to predict. I clearly stated, "It's harder to read a Link main with very few habits..."
Don't be so condescending and sarcastic, it makes your argument look terrible.

I'll be that guy who brings the dictionary into things.
"versatile
: able to do many different things
: having many different uses"

Link's bomb(s) and boomerang can be placed in so many places at any point in time and in any combination AND they interact in several ways. Btw, there's more than three angles for the boomerang if you didn't know.

In the Link vs Ness MU, I can agree with this. However, a good Link main will create an edgeguard situation 9times/10.

Ness has a better recovery tool but he sucks at getting back onstage in a close-to-the-stage situation. Link has better mixups when short recoveries are possible but Ness wins in long recoveries.

Link probably gets better edgeguarding because Ness sacrifices a lot when he needs his double jump to edgeguard. (offstage)

Ness has easier combos than Link but he doesn't necessarily have better ones. Don't get me wrong, Ness has some very hard to execute combos but his DJC combos are rather easy. A Link that can juggle is a Link that can win. Ness wins gimp, yes. Mostly due to his excellent throws but yes.

I have no idea what you're getting at with that shot at Isai. If you beat someone, then you've beat them. It doesn't matter how it happened. I could do Falcon's uair x6 -> up-b or I could do some fancy reverse hitbox shenanigans, either way I still took the stock. I don't understand why it matters what combo you perform or even how difficult it is. (If you're playing friendlies, then show off. If you're playing in a tournament, then play to win.)
OK whatever.

Not really. While recovering, jump, throw a projectile, and up b. While in the neutral, throw bombs and boomerangs and run away a lot/wait for an opening. While comboing, lots of bairs, up airs, up tilts, and up b finishers. While edgeguarding, up b, down smash, dair, forward smash, and projectiles. It was not my intention to be condescending sorry.

Yeah, but they are never used in combos. You stop using them by the time you approach. Other versions of Link like Project M Link do projectile auto combos all the time, but 64 Link not so much.

In Hyrule, you are right. In DL, like half the time.

Not really, if he double jumps ( he has a fairly big double jump ) and down bs to grab the ledge he doesn't have to up b. And if you double jumped, but barely missed the ledge then wait until you are far away to be at a safe distance. Plus he can cancel his double jump into a attack at any given time. Ness wins recovery easily.

Ness mainly edgeguards with 3 things: dair, up b, and down smash. Down smash has a super fast low hitbox with a lot of range that sends them horizontally and it can be unexpected since you will have your back to your opponent. Up b can get aimed anywhere and can really mess up slower recoveries. Dair is insta death off stage and can he used safely without using your double jump. And he can send them offstage with forward throw or back throw easily. That's pretty good edgeguarding if you ask me. I'm just going to say tie here.

What does being easy have to do with anything? Juggling effectively is harder to do on a stage as big as Dreamland, and juggles take longer to work anyways. Better to send them offstage.

I was trying to show how powerful Luigi's up b is. Luigi's up b was nerfed in Melee, and in Melee it destroys. Just doing up air chains and finishing with up b ends stocks fast which is why it's better.

BananaBolts

OK whatever.

Not really. While recovering, jump, throw a projectile, and up b. While in the neutral, throw bombs and boomerangs and run away a lot/wait for an opening. While comboing, lots of bairs, up airs, up tilts, and up b finishers. While edgeguarding, up b, down smash, dair, forward smash, and projectiles. It was not my intention to be condescending sorry.

Yeah, but they are never used in combos. You stop using them by the time you approach. Other versions of Link like Project M Link do projectile auto combos all the time, but 64 Link not so much.

In Hyrule, you are right. In DL, like half the time.

Not really, if he double jumps ( he has a fairly big double jump ) and down bs to grab the ledge he doesn't have to up b. And if you double jumped, but barely missed the ledge then wait until you are far away to be at a safe distance. Plus he can cancel his double jump into a attack at any given time. Ness wins recovery easily.

Ness mainly edgeguards with 3 things: dair, up b, and down smash. Down smash has a super fast low hitbox with a lot of range that sends them horizontally and it can be unexpected since you will have your back to your opponent. Up b can get aimed anywhere and can really mess up slower recoveries. Dair is insta death off stage and can he used safely without using your double jump. And he can send them offstage with forward throw or back throw easily. That's pretty good edgeguarding if you ask me. I'm just going to say tie here.

What does being easy have to do with anything? Juggling effectively is harder to do on a stage as big as Dreamland, and juggles take longer to work anyways. Better to send them offstage.

I was trying to show how powerful Luigi's up b is. Luigi's up b was nerfed in Melee, and in Melee it destroys. Just doing up air chains and finishing with up b ends stocks fast which is why it's better.
If you've watched a fair amount of Isai's Link, I'm assuming you have since you mentioned it, then you would have seen him using boomerang to extend combos. You do know that boomerang can combo into boomerang even on DL, right?

One Link trick that I love is bomb throw lighty -> nair the opponent into bomb -> fair

If Link didn't have boomerang, I'd give Ness the spot above him. The fact that boomerang can start combos, extend combos, and interrupt being combo'd makes it so good.

Ness has a big double jump, I know (I wasn't clear beforehand). I was talking about Ness' ability to snuff a recovery before it gets close. Ness has a difficult time edgeguarding due to losing momentum if he interrupts his double jump. It's largely the reason he's so bad offstage. He can't get back on by jumping and immediately throwing out a move to ensure a safe landing. His double jump is great for his combos but for recovery, it just doesn't cut it.

Like Twilight said, Ness' down b is quite unsafe if used incorrectly and it's also easy to read even if it is used properly. I didn't mention it before but Ness has a terrible ledgehop game as opposed to Link's sub-par ledgehop game. They both suck but Ness' is worse.

Ness has a fantastic dair. Link has a fantastic dair. They both use them for edgeguarding. Ness' is reliable. Link's is safer.
Tie for edgeguarding with dair.

Ness' up b isn't a very good edgeguard. It's fine for interrupting some recoveries but overall it's not great. It's really easy to nullify with most nairs and it leaves Ness quite vulnerable even if he lands it. Use it sparingly. It's best use (to me) is when it's used and then followed by a ledge grab to cancel it.

Link's up b is good when used after a ledgehop. It's got good range with the sweet spot and it's got pretty safe. It has a lot of end lag but it can be avoided with an edge cancel which isn't too hard to perform. Hard but not impossible by any means.

Ness' down smash is nice but even characters like Falcon can find ways around it with relative ease due to the obvious setup for down smash. It's not quite as good as Pika's forward smash but it's decent enough.

Ness wins the grab game. Link only gets grabs with good shield pressure, great baits, amazing reads, and the occasional boomerang to grab or bomb to grab. Ness can do all of those (and more) but the latter he can't.

The platforms on DL aren't too difficult for Link to juggle on. DI is mostly what kills it. Ness has an easier time following DI.

It all comes down to offstage in my eyes. Link barely beats Ness on the offstage game therefore Link is above Ness. Link just has slightly better, more reliable forms of edgeguarding. Link's projectiles trump Ness' for edgeguarding. Link wins ledgehop. Ness wins deep recovery upon miraculous edgeguard. Link usually doesn't need that because of bombs. Ness has a spike. Ness has throws that make some recoveries quite difficult that ends up giving Ness an easier time. Link doesn't suffer from DJC syndrome offstage. Link has better edgeguard mix-ups. More options makes it really difficult for the opponent to recover.

Most Luigi mains still regard down b as the better option (in singles). Up b out of shield is decent though when used in tandem with pseudo parries (getting pushed off of a platform while your shield is raised and responding with an attack).

Sedda

Smash Champion
man link and samus are getting so much hate

i agree that luigi has a good recovery, but some of you seem to be discounting anything a character can do onstage if they're bad off stage. luigi is so slow it breaks my heart every time

**** luigi

edit: link is so good. i dont know how people use ness in this game. he also sucks.

**** ness

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
double post because yolo

no mods

IMO we should work on a matchup chart and a JOUSUKE chart instead of a tier list. Tier lists are pretty subjective even among high tiers because of DL only. It seems easier for people to agree on specific match ups (unless you're talking to cobr) rather than a whole tier list. That + a jousuke chart >> tier list

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
Tier lists are pretty subjective even among high tiers because of DL only. It seems easier for people to agree on specific match ups (unless you're talking to cobr) rather than a whole tier list.
Match up charts are also subjective you know. Not really a plus over tier list. But I'm not against it

Last edited:

BananaBolts

MU charts are more precise than an overall tier list though. Some MUs are more obvious than others but the more contestable ones can be disputed. Who's going to take the initiative for a MU chart? Preferably someone with a long history playing competitive, someone who has seen MUs develop, and someone who has a fair amount of technical prowess.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
If you've watched a fair amount of Isai's Link, I'm assuming you have since you mentioned it, then you would have seen him using boomerang to extend combos. You do know that boomerang can combo into boomerang even on DL, right?

One Link trick that I love is bomb throw lighty -> nair the opponent into bomb -> fair

If Link didn't have boomerang, I'd give Ness the spot above him. The fact that boomerang can start combos, extend combos, and interrupt being combo'd makes it so good.

Ness has a big double jump, I know (I wasn't clear beforehand). I was talking about Ness' ability to snuff a recovery before it gets close. Ness has a difficult time edgeguarding due to losing momentum if he interrupts his double jump. It's largely the reason he's so bad offstage. He can't get back on by jumping and immediately throwing out a move to ensure a safe landing. His double jump is great for his combos but for recovery, it just doesn't cut it.

Like Twilight said, Ness' down b is quite unsafe if used incorrectly and it's also easy to read even if it is used properly. I didn't mention it before but Ness has a terrible ledgehop game as opposed to Link's sub-par ledgehop game. They both suck but Ness' is worse.

Ness has a fantastic dair. Link has a fantastic dair. They both use them for edgeguarding. Ness' is reliable. Link's is safer.
Tie for edgeguarding with dair.

Ness' up b isn't a very good edgeguard. It's fine for interrupting some recoveries but overall it's not great. It's really easy to nullify with most nairs and it leaves Ness quite vulnerable even if he lands it. Use it sparingly. It's best use (to me) is when it's used and then followed by a ledge grab to cancel it.

Link's up b is good when used after a ledgehop. It's got good range with the sweet spot and it's got pretty safe. It has a lot of end lag but it can be avoided with an edge cancel which isn't too hard to perform. Hard but not impossible by any means.

Ness' down smash is nice but even characters like Falcon can find ways around it with relative ease due to the obvious setup for down smash. It's not quite as good as Pika's forward smash but it's decent enough.

Ness wins the grab game. Link only gets grabs with good shield pressure, great baits, amazing reads, and the occasional boomerang to grab or bomb to grab. Ness can do all of those (and more) but the latter he can't.

The platforms on DL aren't too difficult for Link to juggle on. DI is mostly what kills it. Ness has an easier time following DI.

It all comes down to offstage in my eyes. Link barely beats Ness on the offstage game therefore Link is above Ness. Link just has slightly better, more reliable forms of edgeguarding. Link's projectiles trump Ness' for edgeguarding. Link wins ledgehop. Ness wins deep recovery upon miraculous edgeguard. Link usually doesn't need that because of bombs. Ness has a spike. Ness has throws that make some recoveries quite difficult that ends up giving Ness an easier time. Link doesn't suffer from DJC syndrome offstage. Link has better edgeguard mix-ups. More options makes it really difficult for the opponent to recover.

Most Luigi mains still regard down b as the better option (in singles). Up b out of shield is decent though when used in tandem with pseudo parries (getting pushed off of a platform while your shield is raised and responding with an attack).
Versatile my ass, Ness has more effective combos. Period. The combos you mentioned do what I said Link's combos do : set up an edgeguard or reset to neutral.

Boomerang barely pops them up if I remember correctly. How is that so great?

That is exactly why you mix it up: go for the high recovery if they are at the ledge, double jump and attack them if you can't go for the high recovery then up b back onstage, do down b ledge grabs when they aren't at the ledge, and try to never be in a spot where you can be gimped while using PK Thunder ( like close to the stage ). Ness definetly wins recovery. Probably.

All the stuff about edgeguarding and recovering is fair enough, but just based off general performance and success, Ness is better. Ness was better than Link on a tier list made by people way better than us when Link was at his best. Link gets worse and for some reason, he's better than Ness? Smells fishy, can't deny it.
double post because yolo

no mods

IMO we should work on a matchup chart and a JOUSUKE chart instead of a tier list. Tier lists are pretty subjective even among high tiers because of DL only. It seems easier for people to agree on specific match ups (unless you're talking to cobr) rather than a whole tier list. That + a jousuke chart >> tier list
Well, Falcon and Kirby are obviously the easiest to use while Fox, Yoshi, and Ness are the hardest even though they would be above average difficulty in a game like Project M. Not the most indepth contribution to Jousuke chart ,I know, but it's a start.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Link's Boomerang pops them up quite a bit and has a lot of hitstun. It is also used in finishers such as Boomerang -> F-air. I don't think you have seen much Link play if you don't think that his Boomerang is a great projectile. Link can use both his Boomerang and Bombs in so many different ways it's ridiculous. Link is easily a more versatile character than Ness.

Ness can mix up his recovery, but it's very unlikely he'll get back without being punished since it's very laggy and there's a long period where he's moving very slowly in the air without a hitbox and can't fastfall. I don't agree that Link is better than Ness overall, but Link still beats Ness in several aspects.

Since you mentioned you've been in the competitive scene for only 1 and a half months, I'd strongly suggest playing more and experiencing the matchups before discussing tiers so soon. Melee and Project M are completely irrelevant to 64 and experiencing the matchups will give you far more insight than simple research.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
imo link's boomerang alone is the second best projectile (behind fox's laser).

boomerang + bomb combo is sooooo good for zoning people out and also for combos. you can throw them at different angles and speeds (bomb). link's projectile game alone makes him the most fun character for me

edit:
Versatile my ***, Ness has more effective combos. Period. The combos you mentioned do what I said Link's combos do : set up an edgeguard or reset to neutral.
I don't play ness or anything, but from my perspective i guess i can agree that some of ness' combo game is more varied at the basic level, but once you start getting better it doesn't make much of a difference. this game isn't just about combos anyway, so you have to consider other elements such as link's camp abilities and his range, which is much better than ness' range (horizontally at least) by far. projectiles can make it easier to cover tech options and can help you control the match against characters who aren't ridiculously faster than link. they do wonders in the neutral.

as far as recovery potential, ness gets ****ed regardless of whether he's off stage at low or high %. link at least has a change at low percentages. all you have to do against a ness who's far away is grab the ledge, wait for them to recover high, back air, rinse and repeat. low percent, decide whether he's low enough to try the down b sweetspot and go from there.

saying that "all link's combos do is set up edgeguards or reset to neutral" is diminishing their effect. setting up edgeguards with link is pretty good since he has his projectiles to help, his tils, sometimes his nair, etc. at the end of the day, a combo that ends in death is a combo that ends in death, even if there's an edgeguard somewhere in between. it's just another element of the character, but i wouldnt consider it a downside.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
imo link's boomerang alone is the second best projectile (behind fox's laser).

boomerang + bomb combo is sooooo good for zoning people out and also for combos. you can throw them at different angles and speeds (bomb). link's projectile game alone makes him the most fun character for me

edit:

I don't play ness or anything, but from my perspective i guess i can agree that some of ness' combo game is more varied at the basic level, but once you start getting better it doesn't make much of a difference. this game isn't just about combos anyway, so you have to consider other elements such as link's camp abilities and his range, which is much better than ness' range (horizontally at least) by far. projectiles can make it easier to cover tech options and can help you control the match against characters who aren't ridiculously faster than link. they do wonders in the neutral.

as far as recovery potential, ness gets ****ed regardless of whether he's off stage at low or high %. link at least has a change at low percentages. all you have to do against a ness who's far away is grab the ledge, wait for them to recover high, back air, rinse and repeat. low percent, decide whether he's low enough to try the down b sweetspot and go from there.

saying that "all link's combos do is set up edgeguards or reset to neutral" is diminishing their effect. setting up edgeguards with link is pretty good since he has his projectiles to help, his tils, sometimes his nair, etc. at the end of the day, a combo that ends in death is a combo that ends in death, even if there's an edgeguard somewhere in between. it's just another element of the character, but i wouldnt consider it a downside.

I give up. I still think Ness is better based off history and general performance.

Twilight Sparkle

Isn't Samus one of Ness's winning matchups? I don't understand.

2 years... 1 year... Actually 2 months. Well, 1 and 1/2 months( the honest truth ), but I've been in Project M and Melee for way longer than that so I know some stuff. I do research whenever I get into anything.
Unless that Samus plays at any competitive level.
Think of it this way: today's Samus meta focuses on defensive play (waiting, patience, camping at times, timing all moves). All Samus has to do is spam a few dairs in that connect, then spam bair to send Ness off the stage. GG

Even with DJC, Ness' range comes up short. Anyone with ranged moves or disjointed hitboxes can be trouble for him. If you're coming in to attack with a DJC for example, you're usually close enough to the ground to get fsmashed with most characters and due to Ness' lack of range he gets the blunt end of things. Fsmashes that come to mind: Kirby, Falcon, Pika, Jiggly, Fox, Link, and pretty much everyone else's to a lesser degree (except another Ness' fsmash lol).

Pika fire doesn't help much >.o

Play online Smash 64 for a couple years with all the knowledge you know of Ness. You'll quickly realize his shortcomings are plenty despite having DJC to work with.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Ness is more tourney viable than Link and Luigi IMO.

Well a format featuring mainly dreamland anyway.

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
Saying a month and a half, making a tier list, and then insisting ness is good are all working together like clockwork to make you look like a squeej

: (

Play online

firo

Smash Ace
The only thing is Link's way is the falcon matchup. I've played both ness and link in tournament, and right now, I think Link has a better chance against pika and kirby than ness does. Those are both really tough matchups for ness. In the current ruleset I'd place link higher (but then again, I'd probably put Link ahead of DK and jigglypuff as well).

There's just no link players that play in tournament. He, along with fox, and ness, are extremely technical characters. Ness struggles so hard with quick movement around dreamland where link can move around the platforms with ease. The only characters that should be recovering at all in this game IMO is pikachu and yoshi so to me it is not a factor. Beginning-of-life invincibility is a huge problem for ness, where link at least can hold a bomb or can try to be on the ledge since his get up options aren't horrible.

BananaBolts

Ness has some really advanced platform movement on DL, iirc. The only issue is the difficult execution. Link's platform movement is quite average. Although, the fact that he stays below a platform with running full hop helps his boomerang gameplay.

Link's short recovery and ledge options are much better than Ness' which makes the Kirby and Pika MUs more bearable.
The Link vs Falcon MU would be much better for Link if Falcon wasn't so dang fast. Ness has an even tougher time vs Falcon but at least Ness has solid combos on Falcon if he manages to land a hit. Plus, Ness doesn't get combo'd as hard as Link does.
(At least in my experience with Ness/Link vs Falcon)

I might be crazy but... does everyone ignore the fact that Link can throw his boomerang at two different speeds/distances? This never seems to be discussed around here, yet it is another one of Link's options. I find the short throw to be useful in situations where you throw the boomerang in the opposite direction to set up for tricky approaches. That in tandem with the platforms on DL makes for some hard-to-read setups.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Blah blah blah.
Shut up. Ness is better :troll: lolz
Saying a month and a half, making a tier list, and then insisting ness is good are all working together like clockwork to make you look like a squeej

: (

Play online
OK. I'll get a GC controller usb adapter since N64 controller hurts my fingers. Unless there's better controllers out there. Just not the frickin Hori mini pad cause 100 bucks for a controller is too much.

There should be more guides, no? This community is really hard to get into : thread after thread filled with inside jokes, posts that are practically spam, and confusing abbrieviations in the posts that are supposed to be helpful is a nightmare. Clean this place up! Smash 64 has ZERO guides in the official guide section. The only guide I have seen is from some n00b who wrote crap that fit in the preview then deleted it. That is sad. You want more tourneys with less lag than netplay? You want Fox to be top tier? Get new players. The badder the better because that's extra prize money bish

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Firo I think it's dreamland that's in Link's way. He struggles to gimp others while being the easiest to gimp himself.

Thus one throw equals death for Link while he actually has to do work to kill his opponents. It's just a terrible stage for him.

At least Ness can gimp fairly well on dreamland. Which is mainly why I'd put Ness over Link. That and his recovery is awful, but at least he has SOME chance at recovering from a grab near the edge while Link doesn't.

Last edited:

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Shut up. Ness is better :troll: lolz

OK. I'll get a GC controller usb adapter since N64 controller hurts my fingers. Unless there's better controllers out there. Just not the frickin Hori mini pad cause 100 bucks for a controller is too much.

There should be more guides, no? This community is really hard to get into : thread after thread filled with inside jokes, posts that are practically spam, and confusing abbrieviations in the posts that are supposed to be helpful is a nightmare. Clean this place up! Smash 64 has ZERO guides in the official guide section. The only guide I have seen is from some n00b who wrote crap that fit in the preview then deleted it. That is sad. You want more tourneys with less lag than netplay? You want Fox to be top tier? Get new players. The badder the better because that's extra prize money bish
Lol. It is pretty sad not having even one guide but smashboards doesn't care about 64. There isn't even a mod in here and when there is all they do is ban people and complain. They won't even bother looking for a mod or trying a mod from the 64 community to clean this place up.

The smash index is where everything is at but it doesn't even have a proper title to direct new players that that is where to find out how to play online (http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-64-index-read-here-first.350305/)

To be fair it is a very old game so it seems like no one has anything to do but to start arguments and feuds with each other by making statements that they can claim they were jokes all while and resisting change.

Top Bottom