• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New South Carolina Smash Scene

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'm looking to make a new Smash Scene in South Carolina. There isn't one in the southern portion of SC, and I want to change that. I'm hoping to start hosting tournaments here, maybe some weeklies or biweeklies. If that isn't possible, then I'll just look for other Smashers within the area and make some dates as to where we can meet and play Brawl/Melee. If you want to help with making a Smash Scene, then you can contact me on AIM or MSN or just PM me here. I'm really hoping to start this new Smash Scene because there really isn't any at the moment and the last time there was a tourney, a good number of people came. SC really needs this new Smash Scene. Please help!

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
I'd recommend anime charleston. Talk to khai/impactar on getting that room rented out again. That seemed to work well. I think it was kind of expensive. Maybe green dragon I don't really know much about the place but they seem like they wouldn't mind hosting a gaming tournament.

I'm only in charleston for a couple weeks every year but if theirs any tournaments around that time I'd try to make it.

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about Anime Charleston. Either that or some Best Buy like one tourney that had a number of people come, or a Wal Mart that was friendly enough. Or a Gamestop store. Anime Charleston does sound a whole lot better though. Maybe I can talk to those guys about it.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
hahahahaha... oh lord sorry, I'm a real ******* for laughing, I know...

I've been here for... a long time... between me and everlastingyay, holymarth, scha, and khai, that's it for a smash scene... hahaha Brawl has changed things though. so many new people. I don't think I've ever met any of them. It's weird to get passed on like that, like a new generation appeared and I feel left behind. Interesting, you know?

I'll get down to business, though. I'll support Melee as much as possible. I will come to your events. I will try to bring people to the events. I "kind of" have a place to host a tournament, but I really do not have the setups. If people think they can bring a lot of setups to Columbia on some day, that day we can have a tournament.

I will support anything for Melee, I love Brawl+ to an extent, and I despise regular Brawl. But I know those who play it 'round here.

Basically I have my wires around the midlands. I'll help in any way I can just give the order and I'll gather the troops.

ONE MORE THING!
my parents live in Charleston and I am around there sometimes. If you want to meet up and play, any of you, please PM me, or on AIM, and we will certainly do it. (melee, I mean...)

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...Columbia could be a good idea, but that's 2 hours from me...that can still be a possibility though. So far, my plan is to host Brawl and Melee tournies, since most people play both. Thanks for helping though, I might do tournies around the midlands. I'll contact you if I do so you can help.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Hmm...Columbia could be a good idea, but that's 2 hours from me...
No disrespect meant toward you, YK, but that's the kind of attitude that causes SC to have no Smash scene—if there's ever going to be anything here, then people have to be willing to travel—otherwise, things will stay as they are.

I know a lot of people who are willing to carpool 4hrs+ to oos tourneys, but they won't make that 2hr drive to the one that's actually in SC. Why? Because SC Smash tournaments are known for being sub-par. Why make a 2hr drive for a 10-man tournament, when you can make a 3hr drive for a 30-man tournament?

When oos tournaments have both quality/quantity over the ones hosted in-state, it's no wonder the SC Smash scene is what it is. You'd figure, with SC tournaments being as rare as they are, whenever one pops up, people would actually make an attempt to attend, but that isn't the case.

The SC Smash scene sucks, not because of lack of competitive population/tournaments, but because there aren't enough committed players in our state, and that's what it takes to make a tournament scene thrive, commitment and dedication.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I've been wanting to host a melee event here for a long time, my house or the play n' trade, but I didn't think anyone would come. just cause everyone loves their brawl and I don't know many folks who own wii/brawl setups, but I got plenty of cubes around...

if there is a melee tourney in SC and I -know about it- then I go to it... but I haven't known of anything in a while. Just noticed biweeklies. If you had put "Melee" on the subject line I would have been there already and got 1st cause I **** LOL... err provided Yay isn't there...
\

edit

you know what, **** it
I'm just going to host a melee thing and see what happens. details soon.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
It's not just things I'm involved with, but the SC Smash scene in general.

If you host something, there's a few of us in my area that'd be willing to come.

Just give us a warning.

House tournaments seem to be where it's at in SC, so props to you for giving us another place to play.

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
I'm willing to travel 2 hours, it's just that I'm not sure if my Mom would let me, I am only 15. But, I'm sure she would, and if she does, I will probably do them at Columbia or Anime Charleston, and if those aren't available, then a kind game store or something. I'm trying to raise money now to rent some places in mind, then find out how to get setups and stuff unless people are willing to bring some. Things look good so far, so maybe SC will get that Smash Scene it needs.

Zeadro

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone! I'm looking for some SC brawlers myself. This place is dry as a desert when it comes to brawl/melee. Anyway columbia is where i am. Anyone remotly near me?

Rayku

Smash Lord
Yoshi-Kirby, I noticed you're from Summerville. I lived there for a short period. I might be able to come up to SC sometime over the summer at one point to Smash, as I also have a very close friend that lives near that area. We should talk more.

Also, if I were to come, I'd want to stay for like 1-2 days (so I can hang with my friend as well).

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I am officially hosting something here. I have a free venue (my empty house, literally empty)

looking for a good date. is the 16th good?
we will probably do melee, melee teams, melee low tier, brawl singles, brawl teams, and some other stuff for free play like Brawl+ and Street Fighter 4

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
Cool! 16th seems good, and this is in Columia I'm guessing? I sux at Melee, but I'll still do them, and I'll definitely do the Brawl ones. Brawl+ seems good, but I don't play SF4.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
I am officially hosting something here. I have a free venue (my empty house, literally empty)

looking for a good date. is the 16th good?
we will probably do melee, melee teams, melee low tier, brawl singles, brawl teams, and some other stuff for free play like Brawl+ and Street Fighter 4
You gonna post up a thread for this?

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
Ok, from the way things look now, I can get Anime Charleston, and if I get enough people to come, fees won't be an issue. I'll talk to the guys and see if I can rent the rooms to host their tournaments. If things turn out good, then I'll start hosting some. So far, good news. =D

zCasanova

Smash Lord
I went to Ryan and Khai's tournament last year @ AC—if it's any bigger than 10+ people, the room that was provided won't be sufficient. It wasn't that cramped, but if it'd been any bigger, like 15+, then things would have been rough.

So says the guy with apt. tourneys.

Just letting you know it isn't the spot for an all out type of thing.

Top Bottom