• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I think K. Rool is one ugly mofo and I still think he should probably be in, at least over Dixie.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Shhhhh.

Quiet John.

Smashers are slow, it took forever for people to realize Olimar is amazing.
I still think his offstage game could be improved. Just feels to me like he shouldn't be- ahh but i've already said this before. Not that i think he shouldn't be high. Like, 3rd or 4th is fine with me. I know first-hand how annoying he is to approach, ESPECIALLY with Lucas. But to me 2nd just feels a bit too prestigious for him.

But that's just me. Hehe. ^^

Anyway, I followed IGN's coverage, but I didn't see anything on sm4sh. :(

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I once supported Vivian, because I thought she would be unique and interesting, until I grew up and realized that only takes a character so far.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
:(

Jan 2011 join date...

I'm such a noob. D:

Yeah, Olimar definitely has a lot of annoying weaknesses, couldn't argue with that. But good enough for me to switch from maining Lucas to Olimar. :laugh:

Didn't quote the right post. o-o

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
By the way, Iwata and Nintendo are holding another Wii U event this week highlighting Japanese Wii U launch games.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
That???

Can´t you think better about it?
:eek:
Yea him, he will be a creeper and stuff

The conference starpheonix is talking about: sounds interesting but probably won't show something we haven't already seen. I guess thats not the point though

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
You know that time when you're on the boards and you have some really considerate points to express, then something,some force unknown, denies you that opportunity to share? I'd be having one of those moments right now if I wasn't fully aware of my consistent grasping for straws approach.

Lets dig in shall we?

On one end we have people promoting that interesting and distinguishable traits represent the high point of criteria.

For those of us that have a hard time believing that the uniqueness holds the priority in discerning the few, what other criteria do we look towards?

I would ask the first crowd whether it is matters that make a character interesting important overall or is that certain characters have certain appeal and contribution to a specific franchise that makes them exceptional?

What would be so necessary about Peach, Jigglypuff, Diddy Kong, DDD, Zelda, or even Marth that allows defines them as they were distinct? That is, beyond representing a specifc genre or upholding significance about a given franchise.

Beyond breathing fire, where does Bowser fit in to make him remotely interesting? I'm interesting in hearing about cases like these, because more often than not I find myself sifting through comments like "he's just awesome" or "Such a badass" to find any measurable qualities that determine his value.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know that time when you're on the boards and you have some really considerate points to express, then something,some force unknown, denies you that opportunity to share? I'd be having one of those moments right now if I wasn't fully aware of my consistent grasping for straws approach.

Lets dig in shall we?

On one end we have people promoting that interesting and distinguishable traits represent the high point of criteria.

For those of us that have a hard time believing that the uniqueness holds the priority in discerning the few, what other criteria do we look towards?

I would ask the first crowd whether it is matters that make a character interesting important overall or is that certain characters have certain appeal and contribution to a specific franchise that makes them exceptional?

What would be so necessary about Peach, Jigglypuff, Diddy Kong, DDD, Zelda, or even Marth that allows defines them as they were distinct? That is, beyond representing a specifc genre or upholding significance about a given franchise.

Beyond breathing fire, where does Bowser fit in to make him remotely interesting? I'm interesting in hearing about cases like these, because more often than not I find myself sifting through comments like "he's just awesome" or "Such a badass" to find any measurable qualities that determine his value.
Most people pick characters they want in the game, not characters based on any kind of information.

It's not like we have anything to go off of determining actually character chances anyway. Maybe game sales or something I guess...?

People like stuff, 'cause they just like it. That's about it most of the time

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
So when I read things like "Dixie can't stand on her own two" and I find that fallacious I won't cause too much dissention my own assertions then.

fixed.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah, Olimar definitely has a lot of annoying weaknesses, couldn't argue with that. But good enough for me to switch from maining Lucas to Olimar. :laugh:

Didn't quote the right post. o-o
Haha, true. I accept Lucas isn't going to be high tier on brawl anytime soon, that's for sure. I like Lucas because he's very fluid, and I like the idea of a kid with psychic powers. ;-)

nLim8d: I'll have to think for a sec on that, but i'm seeing what you're saying.

D

Deleted member

Can someone repost that "Sakurai only felt Pikmin and Animal Crossing worthy" quote?
I need it right now.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So when I read things like "Dixie can't stand on her own two" and I find it fallacious I won't recieve too many complaints about my own assertions then.
You can receive all the complaints in the world.

It doesn't mean anything in the end though

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Don't be so brash. Toon Link was never in any of the three versions of Melee.
You know, part of intelligence is being able to figure out intent and not just understanding the literally definition

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@N Psycho is right, but people tend to qualify their personal tastes with perceived truths and assertions. So opinions evolve into facts, and people get up in arms when their opinionfacts are challenged.

Lol, preferences.

:phone:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
You know, part of intelligence is being able to figure out intent and not just understanding the literally definition
Are you joshing me bro? You can discern that here???

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
True that, but granted it's hard to do over the internet. Because there is no definite voice, indeed it is our OWN narrator's voice that defines how we view any other content on a medium such as the internet, actual meaning becomes separated from our perceived notions of what the person was truly trying to say.

Also, breadbug: What an intelligent poster you've become. It's great to see! :)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
True that, but granted it's hard to do over the internet. Because there is no definite voice, indeed it is our OWN narrator's voice that defines how we view any other content on a medium such as the internet, actual meaning becomes separated from our perceived notions of what the person was truly trying to say.

Also, breadbug: What an intelligent poster you've become. It's great to see! :)
Sometimes. In this circumstance it seemed they were arguing over how he phrased it and refusing to acknowledge what he said simply because of that.

It may just be that he truly didn't connect Young and Toon Link I suppose

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well N, in answer to your question before, and correct me if i'm going off on a tangent here, I suppose that psycho does have his point: Ultimately, our preferences on characters aren't objective. However, we can try (and only that, try) to make things more objective by giving supposed feeling-less discussion on why that character has a kind of unique-ness or something that would be brought to the table that is different. Because, i suppose, that IS what we want to see in smash: Something new, something different. That reflects on ourselves: As people, we don't want to live the same hum-drum life everyday. As such, we seek something different, something we haven't seen or haven't noticed before, and these make up the 'highlights' of our day.

But that IS going off on a tangent, isn't it? :p

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Wow, I'm sorry but you were just preaching proper discerning attributes and yet failed to do so yourself.

That, my dear friends, is the magic of the internet.

Luco said:
But that IS going off on a tangent, isn't it?
No I wouldn't say so.

I was really instigating the perspective based around how characters should bring something unique to the table.

What I find in most respects, is that we are provided with characters that come from diverse genres and that their worlds give insight into a sense of uniqueness.

Its why we gain characters like Wario this late in the game though Mario has a good amount of Reps already while Samus stands firm sole representative of her series, when we could have easily seen Ridley in the mix. A better example being perhaps the Pokemon trainer who introduces the thematic ensemble of the Pokemon universe.

Interesting traits aren't nearly as important as a character's dynamism

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging an alternative situation.

It depends on context, and the context was pretty obvious

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ahh, so putting it basically: What defines uniqueness in our characters? Perhaps i'm misunderstanding haha. While very philosophical, I am young and can easily misread things such as this. :p

Dear me I feel so dumb. :p

Hang on, I looked back in to it and i'm thinking...

In the case of Bowser, IS there any other thing that defines him as needing to be in smash? Given, you can wonder about why he's interesting beyond breathing fire, but you could ask yourself that about someone like samus. Yes, she's a female bounty hunter. Okay, futuristic, cause we haven't seen that before....

Basically, i'm not sure we KNOW what it is we turn to when it comes to characters. Perhaps that is why we have arguments over it? Or are we just being shortsighted?

Ahh darn, I have to go guys. I'll see you later. :-)

Byeeee! *waves*

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Don't feel dumb!

Its never my aim to make anyone feel belittled when I express ideas.

If anything I should aim to make my explanations more distinct and manageble, but its often the way I process my thoughts.

I draw things out to a point where I feel confindent in that I've touched all my bases.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Don't feel dumb!

Its never my aim to make anyone feel belittled when I express ideas.

If anything I should aim to make my explanations more distinct and manageble, but its often the way I process my thoughts.

I draw things out to a point where I'm comfortable that I touched all my bases.
And it takes intelligence to do that, I don't think it's pompous or boastful to put a bunch of complicated, sophisticated words/sentences together. that's what language is for: Getting across your feelings. :)

Anyway, as I said, I must go. I'll see you later! Sorry I couldn't keep going with this discussion N, maybe later! *waves*

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Later Luco! I appreciate it.

Where the hell is Iblis?

LOL, that AVGN documentary on that series. Good times.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know what character should be in smash?

Bartman

Bartman meets radioactive man was one of the most memorable games from my childhood.

Because the second level pissed me the hell off

Did any of the games ever make it to VC? Or are they just dead and gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom