• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crouch dash
  2. High jumps
  3. Streamlining of DI
I guess I'll ask for detail. What do you mean by 1. and 3.? I dislike the idea of higher jumps. But, I guess the differences in jumps lend to character strengths and disadvantages. But in general, characters having higher jumps is not always the best idea. A short jump and a high jump is very useful depending upon the situation.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sorry for the double, but I found this to be interesting. Silicon Knights was hit with layoffs, and it's rumored that Nintendo canceled ED2.

I can vouch for this guy, he usually knows his stuff.
I know this was a few pages back, but it really sucks if its true. And it really doesn't sound like it would be that farfetch'd :083:

I was looking forward to this game, but I guess we might have another Factor 5 on our hands, except this time making a probable good game instead of a terrible looking Man Icarus. :awesome:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
@Iblis I always thought there should be an option for time-of-day on all stages. It may not be practical, but I imagined playing on Delfino Plaza at night with fireworks lighting up the island sky and couldn't resist thinking about other stages benefiting from changes in time (where applicable, of course).
Yeah having effects like this would definitely make the gaming experience in each stage more enjoyable. That's why we hack our Wiis to make our textures of the stages we play on is because the originals are very lacking compared to the creative minds of others.

With the ability to have 2 wiiU Controllers and people having separate screens, Smash could possibly attempt a 3D mode instead of being stuck on a 2D playing field. Sort of like soul caliber. It might be interesting to see Mario fling people around (like bowser in n64).
I really think this wouldn't be a good idea. That would be a complete overhaul of the smash formula. The simplicity it has right now would completely change because none of the controls now would be effective and would lead to a very boring and left to be desired game.

As far as things like new modes or a couple of new battle mechanics go, I'm totally on board. It's drastic changes to the basic formula that I think would distract from building on what makes Smash so great.
I really hope the change won't be 3D gameplay drastic.

You people who argue/discuss characters and game modes. Bahhh...
I just hope it doesn't have garbage brawl-esque physics. So slow and... easy.
I could hardly care who they have, even if it had less characters than brawl I could be satisfied. But I don't want a game that focuses on chain grabs and getting out of combos after 14-22 or so frames... seriously.
Please master, if the game physics is so easy, go out and dominate tournaments. I'll be waiting to hear of your success

1. Crouch dash
  2. High jumps
  3. Streamlining of DI
I guess I'll ask for detail. What do you mean by 1. and 3.? I dislike the idea of higher jumps. But, I guess the differences in jumps lend to character strengths and disadvantages. But in general, characters having higher jumps is not always the best idea. A short jump and a high jump is very useful depending upon the situation.
Hmmm I really like your ideas, this time around especially your idea about crouch dash. Will it give characters a lower dash to the ground like Sheik? We could apply for very strategical moves. Dodge some higher aerials and SHFF (Short Hop FastFall) abusers and certain projectiles.

Do you mind explaining Streamling DI? I'm confused, are you trying to change the formula of DI'ing completely?

If we are going to high jumps, it will take away the double jump option if you use it right? I also think it should be a high acceleration jump so you could actually use it as a follow-up. With the no double jump but high acceleration I feel it gives it a good risk-reward ratio for balancing purposes in a basic move and concept. Also if you high jump you should float for a little bit at your peak. I'm just trying to make this balanced as possible so bear with me, haha.

It gets me thinking, high jump canceling, in the middle of your high jump if you push down, as if you were preparing for a smash, you psuedo-peak and then start your desent. Keep in mind you don't get a second jump. This is pressure sensetive so if you want to Dair (Down Air) while you are rising you can still do it. Just do it in a manner as if you were doing a Dtilt (Down Tilt) instead of a Dsmash (Down Smash)

Wow, I think that's first time I've been inspired to write something that serious in a while. Thank you

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Osis, man your natural element is Derp, like your bread and butter combination.

Xeylode said:
Has anyone given much thought to the "smash formula" changing at all?
KumaOso said:
All the freaking time --> Cryptic FG Lingo

[COLLAPSE="and for Oso..."]
[/COLLAPSE]

Man I feel for you , but all too often your go to genre for explaining your ideas is based on Fighting Gameplay and not Gameplay.

I'd like to help you understand that the manner we're accustomed to is not based on just maintaining the essence of over-simplified controls, but a on whole community who've been committed to discovering all the unique capabilities a simple game like Smash has.

Now I'm all for mixing it up, but I need a practical presentation based on enhancing things the formula already has to be convinced we need to go the next level up.

Nobody said:
This here,

its like the number one reason Brawl players and Melee players can't stand one another. You get errand boys of which no one has ever heard of bad mouthing people for not liking the things they like. From there people confuse the Core players with novices that think they understand everything there is to the genre.

Go find a bridge already.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
In Super Smash brothers U Id like to see some more customizing and unlocks like these...

1. Color edit for all characters. You can change the color of their attire and the color of their attacks (example) mario fireball, fox's lasers, falcons punch effects etc.)

2. Wouldnt be amazing to get alternate costumes??! Hey it's possible cuz pretty much all these characters have had more than one look through out their existance. For example look what Brawl did for WARIO!

3. I'd like some kind of achievement system as well. I'd also like it to be harder to unlock stages and characters like how it was in Melee.

4. Lastly I'd love to see a better create a stage using the Wii U gamepad. Theres alot potential there. Also I'd like my stages to morph into other platforms like the Brawl stages did.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
@Cryptic SF code: Do what you want cause a pirate is free, youuu are a pirate
Yar har, Fidility dee!
Being a pirate is our way to be,
Do what you want cause a pirate is free, youuu are a pirate

@N and the topic: Read up about what I to say about the High jumping and such

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@John
Pokemon
Custom Robo
Golden Sun
Starfy
Sin & Punishment (though Nintendo completely owns the IP, I guess it might count as a 1st-party IP)
also Eternal Darkness might be one, but I'm not quite sure if Nintendo owns or co-owns the IP.

My favorite is honestly... probably Pokemon. Golden Sun is a close second though.
I gotta agree. On taht list, I'd say Eternal Darkness is my 3rd favorite, followed by Starfy.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Iblis, Its a challenge to read your posts (and John's), due to the font color since I'm outside, but I'll try highlighting in order to scope the main points.

It reads like you guys are still hashing out the details on High Jumping and such, I'ma letya finish.

MUCH simpler, awesome.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't agree with the stances part, but I do think a "chain combo" thing for a new special move (like Lucario's Project M forward B) would really "fit" Sonic's style and moveset.
One of the problems is it focus the game play in a certain direction. Think Sony Smash Brothers and Sweettooth's spamming.
Well if offense is that broken, then ya, that will happen. Plus, it's freaking PlayStation All-Stars. That game looks about as competitive as TMNT Smash! :laugh:

If the offense isn't broken, it is a way of rewarding offense. Street Fighter, BlazBlue, Soul Calibur... all kinds of fighting games use this so people aren't like "lol stalling."
Of course, it's not more depths. It's just different. The game becomes building and the meter, fighting and than using it. It's not different from getting the Smash ball (which has a lot of tactics and strategy)
How does grabbing a smash ball require more skill=???? Attacking your opponent more rewards players for not being campy, and that's in fighting games with much smaller stages than smash. With a smash ball, as I said before, you can camp and win as a fast character against fat, slow characters. You win with speed and luck.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
@N: Also I've learned that the person we were looking for yesterday when we went through with our little mission, is one of the people I responded to in that post, my longer one.

@John: I do agree with Sonic being a very chain heavy character but at the same time does low damage output.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, Sonic being a combo machine would be awesome. I like how Project M did that, but still... Sonic needs a kill move or two. His smash attacks do hardly any knockback.
Looks like we got a bad a** over here. :laugh:

But seriously, we were talking about gameplay, game modes, characters, and stages!

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Such the ancient Evil, but it seems things turned out for the better as we found more favorable company.

Btw, I have no clue what an ***hag is

Ahhhhhhh ****! I spoke too soon, the nonsense is Back!

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Yeah, Sonic being a combo machine would be awesome. I like how Project M did that, but still... Sonic needs a kill move or two. His smash attacks do hardly any knockback.

Looks like we got a bad a** over here. :laugh:

But seriously, we were talking about gameplay, game modes, characters, and stages!
It seems we get more ego-inflated people by the day. I guess we'll have to continue to show them competitive players do hang around here. I enjoy shutting them down if even if I know them :smirk:

Such the ancient Evil, but it seems things turned out for the better as we found more favorable company.

Btw, I have no clue what an ***hag is

Ahhhhhhh ****! I spoke too soon, the nonsense is Back!
I wonder an
asshag
is too. I think it might have to do with some sort of relations that I don't feel like getting into right now. Also we have found things to be better, have you found out what I have? and if so, LOL, in the same manner? :awesome:

This is yu yu hakusho right
What

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Speed makes everything better leads to games like, Sonic and the Secret Ring, Sonic Rush Adventure (whichever one had the boost feature), and Sonic Unleashed. Lord knows we need more of those >__>

@N: Oh god I saw someone defending Sonic '06 in the comments section.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
So many missed opportunities. If only they could follow up with the free roaming style of Adventure, the pacing of Unleashed, and the structured level design that the genesis era had to offer which encouraged the player to explore.

The significant point is that Sonic's profile should represent that approach that Sakurai had intended: To design a playstyle that built up to higher levels of speeds.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
Sonic is a character who is often thought of as simply being really, really fast, but Sonic actually moves in a heavy, slow motion, he said, and it’s because of this that the player experiences a sense of pleasure when Sonic finally does get up to full speed
GDC 2007

The execution of quick bursts should have some 'recoil' for lack of a better term, to demonstrate that jumps of speed require more effort.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
How about back to when the Sonic was a platformer that promoted trying to platform in the fastest way possible in intricate ways the didn't just involve running, press the boost button, destory enemies by faceramming them, and game over.

Also did kind of hate the fact that in Adventure series they kind of handed the Emeralds to you, unlike how in the Gensis era you had to go and do something get the emeralds. It gave the games an extra boost of replayability.

That sounds good.

Can you read my post now N? I don't feel having constantly change the color.

Following up N's response, which is why I believe Sonic should promote trying to rack up damage in the fastest way possible with his tools since they would lead into each other.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I take back what I said earlier about character pairings, going off of some of ways I believe Nintendo can appeal to Humorous situations I'd like them to explore different scenarios that blend and explore certain themes.

The thought popped into my head where I was visualizing DK and Wario in an arm wrestling match. Hell Wario in singlet attire preparing for a wrestling match with Kirby would be a sight to see.

Wario said:
Bet your bottom banana stash, you ain't got nothing on this

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Just saw those shots of Sakurai's posable figures. A generic punch and a someone on their knuckles? Hmmm Little Mac and Dixie, my money is on Dixie for sure.

Also I saw something some pages ago about Killer Freaks, at E3 I herd Killer Freaks became Zombie U. Not sure how accurate that is.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
That is accurate, watched a video from E3 that confirmed it on IGN.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Article on the Pikmin 3 Demo It is interesting that Olimar can barrel roll, not just Fox McCloud. :awesome: Though, I hope the ability to control the pikmin with the C-Stick so you can swarm them and manipulate the army is possible with one of the control methods, I did that a LOT in Pikmin.

Article on the Wii U launch Glad other people feel the same way as me and John.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'm very pleased with the Wii U launch titles. 2 Exclusive brand new 3rd party IPs, ports of games I do want and wanted since they came out on the PS360, plus Pikmin and MarioU. Oh and I loved the Upad and especially the mechanics behind the panorama view, using it in my hands... that blew my socks off!

I am extremely satisfied, considering the other mystery games I do want I know are being worked on. Eventually 3D Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and the lesser franchises like Star Fox will come as well.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Oh, I'm sorry Smooth Criminal! :laugh: Didn't mean to exclude.

Also, nice avatar. Best character in the entire series, easily.

Dynamo298

Smash Rookie
All I want in this game is Magnus and Ghirahim as playable characters, and maybe Medusa for a assist trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom