• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm getting sick of this REAL fast, dude. You need to step off right now. First off, the ********, which was said, was directed to your comment, not you. Also, I'm not protecting Toad. I'm saying he has better odds. But hey, you wanna just MAKE assumptions, do what you wanna do. Whatever floats the boat, bro. Before I really rage, I'm just going to leave now, because ONCE AGAIN, your ending was wrong. This isn't even a debate I should even complete. Beserker or other Toad finatics can handle this. I still vote of no reps.

Are we clear, bro? THANK YOU. I'm through, good night T_T
Calling someone's opinions ******** is the same as calling them ********. There is no difference, because frankly, it's what they have. It's all mental. You have no excuse for any of that.

Waluigi is just plain awesome to some people. I at first hated him due to the spin-off nonsense, but then I realized that none of that matters. He is indeed popular, original, and doesn't have over 9,000 copies of himself. Or even TWO. He's a lot different, and frankly, he already has better chances than Toad since Sakurai never said a single thing about him not being playable. Unlike Toad, who has. Sakurai has said that he would've liked some AT as playable. That bumps Waluigi's chances already, since he's an AT. If he can't see Toad playable, but AT's in general, it's pretty obvious which one has a realistic chance in comparison. If Toad was indeed more notable, you'd think he was an AT instead of a move. Plus you act like I don't think Toad could be playable. I just would rather see more interesting(to me) characters first. Mainly Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario. If no spin-offs are allowed, than Toad before Waluigi, otherwise, Waluigi before Toad.

If anything, I'd rather have a non-generic Toad like Toadette, Toadsworth, Tacy T., etc first. They can all do the same things, but have something else going for them. Female, Old man + Cane, Cooking moves, etc. They're all more unique in some way.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
He's a lot different, and frankly, he already has better chances than Toad since Sakurai never said a single thing about him not being playable. Unlike Toad, who has.
I'd still really, really love to see where you're getting this from. I'm trying to compile Sakurai interviews and I seem to be missing this one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd still really, really love to see where you're getting this from. I'm trying to compile Sakurai interviews and I seem to be missing this one.
Somebody else posted it. But it was a pictures link, that showed a few characters he didn't think were playable. Tom Nook and Toad were among them.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
While that is true, just because it doesn't fit into some preconceived pattern doesn't mean he can't be in. Plus, he fills the role of kind of being a villainous Luigi (as in he assists the main villain rather than the main hero). Plus, I personally think we'll have 2 new Mario reps this time since there were none in Brawl and it is Nintendo's biggest series.

Also true, but Paper Mario is just a subseries of Mario that simply stars Mario in a different style than usual, unlike Yoshi, DK, and Wario, which all starred former Mario supporting characters.
I guess you're right, but still, I'd rather have Toad or Paper Mario before him...

HyperFalcon isn't BSing BTW, I've seen it before myself but I don't remember where.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Calling someone's opinions ******** is the same as calling them ********. There is no difference, because frankly, it's what they have. It's all mental. You have no excuse for any of that.

Waluigi is just plain awesome to some people. I at first hated him due to the spin-off nonsense, but then I realized that none of that matters. He is indeed popular, original, and doesn't have over 9,000 copies of himself. Or even TWO. He's a lot different, and frankly, he already has better chances than Toad since Sakurai never said a single thing about him not being playable. Unlike Toad, who has. Sakurai has said that he would've liked some AT as playable. That bumps Waluigi's chances already, since he's an AT. If he can't see Toad playable, but AT's in general, it's pretty obvious which one has a realistic chance in comparison. If Toad was indeed more notable, you'd think he was an AT instead of a move. Plus you act like I don't think Toad could be playable. I just would rather see more interesting(to me) characters first. Mainly Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario. If no spin-offs are allowed, than Toad before Waluigi, otherwise, Waluigi before Toad.

If anything, I'd rather have a non-generic Toad like Toadette, Toadsworth, Tacy T., etc first. They can all do the same things, but have something else going for them. Female, Old man + Cane, Cooking moves, etc. They're all more unique in some way.
STOP. Listen, you're being spammy, now. I told you to step off, and I mean it. I'm trying to be nice now, I even apologized. But you keep bringing it up, even saying things you've pretty much made VERY clear.

Also, You're not the comment. You're YOU. YOU are smart. I SAID this. Quit whining about this, because tbh, Waluigi IS the bottom tier of the Mario Reps wants list, whether you like it or not. I'm not interested in what Sakurai says, because he said the SAME thing for Ridley, but people STILL vote for him. Now, will you please stop? You're getting real irritating.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But as of now, Toad has a LOT more to work with, doesn't he?

And I would rather see a source. At least I try to give sources when I make a statement.
Whether its true or not, I will admit Toad didn't have much to offer back in the pre-Melee days compared to Peach. At least she had Super Mario RPG in addition to Super Mario Bros. 2. Toad just had Super Mario Bros. 2 to work with.

But these are the post-Brawl days now... Toad went through a lot in the last decade, especially the last three years. He's got a lot more to work with now. He's affirmed his affinity for mushrooms in various Mario spin-offs. That could be used for Toad's moveset. He's had a playable role in New Super Mario Bros. Wii... his first playable role in a Mario main game since 1988. Those two Toads showed that the looks can be deceiving... they may look peaceful but they can be just as capable as Mario. That reminds me of what Toad's Brawl trophy said... about how Toad's superhuman strength seems out of place. Toad is the ideal, if not perfect, candidate for the Mario 5th slot. It appeals both generations... the older gamers from the late 80's and the younger games of today. Super Mario Bros. 2 for the older gamers and New Super Mario Bros. Wii for the younger gamers. Toad for Smash!

:phone:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Toad will be fine. He is coming into Smash 4's development looking better than any other Mario character save Paper Mario. This will especially be the case if New Super Mario Bros. Mii does not have Bowser Jr.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
So while everyone seems to be mostly preoccupied with what will be added to the roster, can anyone think of any cool changes they'd like to see made to current roster?

I wouldn't mind seeing Bowser's moveset change a little bit, particularly having the Koopa Klaw replaced by The Chain Chomp from Super Mario RPG. It could also be used as a second recovery, a la shieks whip, to make up for how godawful whirling fortress is for that.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Ok the hyper-asage thing was kinda funny in the beginning but now is boring and repetitive. Asage weren't you leaving?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Toad does have a lot to work with, but most things he does... so does Mario. Not that I want to argue about that, but it's kind of true. Sakurai seems to focus on his Kart abilities and his Doki Doki panic speed/strength combo.

He's probably the best choice for a Mario newcomer, with Junior coming in second.

You know I really enjoy your posts and I agree with your points most of the time. But I cannot help but feel slightly demoralized due to the alleged leak with concept art of Tingle and Toad being rejected.
What?...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad will be fine. He is coming into Smash 4's development looking better than any other Mario character save Paper Mario. This will especially be the case if New Super Mario Bros. Mii does not have Bowser Jr.
You know I really enjoy your posts and I agree with your points most of the time. But I cannot help but feel slightly demoralized due to the alleged leak with concept art of Tingle and Toad being rejected.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
STOP. Listen, you're being spammy, now. I told you to step off, and I mean it. I'm trying to be nice now, I even apologized. But you keep bringing it up, even saying things you've pretty much made VERY clear.

Also, You're not the comment. You're YOU. YOU are smart. I SAID this. Quit whining about this, because tbh, Waluigi IS the bottom tier of the Mario Reps wants list, whether you like it or not. I'm not interested in what Sakurai says, because he said the SAME thing for Ridley, but people STILL vote for him. Now, will you please stop? You're getting real irritating.
You're actually wrong on that. Waluigi is far from the bottom tier as is. The Baby Bros, in fact, all of them fare much worse, especially after Mario Kart Wii.

Also, I'm an idiot, but I don't need people to point it out. It's honestly rude, so I don't know why you even are bothering to say anything related to intelligence now.

Also, Sakurai's word is law. Likewise, if he considers something more likely, which is objective here, I'd go with that for the only thing that is actually true. Thus, AT's are more likely than a Move in general. People want to see Ridley in, yes. He became a boss, but so did Giga Bowser. Since he has an actual moveset, he's still more likely than Toad or Tom Nook. As of right now, Toad is not that likely, although it could change, but there is nothing to suggest he has a big chance of getting in besides pure bias, when the actual factors lead to other characters in Smash itself. There is no logical reason for Toad to suddenly be bumped up with what we have when it comes to Sakurai himself.

It's great you like him and all, but not all of us do. I'm not even hating on him at all. I just don't see it as of right now. At all. It doesn't change that there are more unique choices than a generic guy. Yoshi didn't even have that neat option of specific Yoshis to choose from with their own name. The Toad race does. The only Toads available that are decently possible are Toadette, General Toad, and Toadsworth. They're all notable in their own right. But only two are more unique in some way. Honestly, Toad in general is about the same as Toadette. They do pretty much the same things, except Toadette's female. She has something over him right now that he can't bring to the table. Not that I'd choose her right away, but uniqueness is a big deal. Mind you, yes, I'd say they'd choose the generic Toad first, despite being the opposite of unique, but whatcha going to do when it comes to a long runner?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Waluigi is not unpopular though. He's pretty well requested all over, mostly by people as HyperFalcon who play Mario Party and the likes.

I really don't like him, but he's requested a lot. It's love and hate with the guy it seems.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Assist Trophy status is perfect for Waluigi. I also think Geno would also be perfect for Assist Trophy status. The only three Mario characters at this time that I think are worthy for a playable spot are Toad, Paper Mario, and Bowser Jr. I even think Mario should have two newcomers in Smash 4.

Also, Arcadenik, I would not put much stock into that hoaxer's opinion on Toad.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad does have a lot to work with, but most things he does... so does Mario. Not that I want to argue about that, but it's kind of true. Sakurai seems to focus on his Kart abilities and his Doki Doki panic speed/strength combo.

He's probably the best choice for a Mario newcomer, with Junior coming in second.

What?...
Hi Shortie, didn't you see the fake leaks about Smash 4 last week?

Anyway, since Sakurai keeps mentioning Toad's kart driving skills and his SMB2 speed/strength... I have a feeling we may see those incorporated into Toad's moveset. I thought up of a Final Smash that may suit Toad. He could drive on his kart and throw green shells and drop banana peels all over the stage. Hell, he could be using the Lucky 7 item from Mario Kart 7 for his Final Smash, due to his association with items.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but feel like reading this?

Not only Sakurai could really do a roster which only expands on existing franchises while keeping all the characters from Brawl, he'd won't have much trouble staying on his traditions on keeping certain playable-potential characters out of Smash due his reasons, preference, etc. (In which case Toad still stays as Peach's B-move, Ridley won't be added due his 'size'/weight, Palutena stays as a NPC, above-mentioned Assist Trophy-thing):

Mario: Bowser Jr (No Toad)
DK: Dixie and King K.Rool
Zelda: Impa or no new reps at all
PKMN: Zoroark? (Victini will be pokeball-material, Sakurai makes him first attacking super-rare 'Mew'-mon)
Kirby: (maybe) Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Krystal or (much more likely) no new reps
Fire Emblem: Roy or none (?)
Metroid: None (No Ridley)
Mother: None
Kid Icarus: Magnus and (less likely) Medusa
Pikmin: None

Rest franchises kept as they are.
Anyone feeling reading what I wrote in page 4437? (-i^i-);

Sakurai better see Toad's real potential now though. Same for many characters he thinks aren't able to make it in Smash.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I did not. I only came back yesterday. Mostly because I need to promote my 2012 poll.

But yeah, I think trophies are one of the biggest indacators on Sakurai's opinion of a character. At least by reading them we can get a feel for if he thinks they're fighting material, and with some characters, we can see how they might play.

For example, it seems he thinks Dixie is most definitely a capable fighter, specifically mentioning not to be fooled by her looks, and her hair can be used to grab things ect. Krystal also is mentioned. He talks about her Psychic abilities as well her being an valuable ally in combat. He drops hints IMO.

Not saying that those coonfirm them for the next game, but it does show he's at least aknowledges the fact that they have fighting capablities.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Same here. I really hope Sakurai sees the potential in Toad, Tingle, and my other most wanted characters. I wouldn't mind if they got cut in SSB5 in favor of new characters (replacements) because I only wanted to play as them in at least one Smash game. One game, that's all I'm asking!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I somewhat agree with Horsetail's predictions. But Fire Emblem having no new characters seems silly to me. It has a plethora of great ones. Also, leaving Ridley out, thus, having still one person in Metroid is beyond ridiculous. It's a major series, and should have that purple dragon.

Same with F-Zero and anyone else. Almost every series can have up to 4, or atleast 2, characters. Bowser Jr's a good choice, though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I somewhat agree with Horsetail's predictions. But Fire Emblem having no new characters seems silly to me. It has a plethora of great ones. Also, leaving Ridley out, thus, having still one person in Metroid is beyond ridiculous. It's a major series, and should have that purple dragon.
There is no excuse why Ridley should not be in Smash 4.

As to Fire Emblem, it might be because that the only new lord introduced since Brawl's release was basically an Ike clone. So basically people's choices are limited to Roy and Ike with a tattoo. Of course there a few idiots that think other past lords or non-lords have a chance.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Anyone feeling reading what I wrote in page 4437? (-i^i-);

Sakurai better see Toad's real potential now though. Same for many characters he thinks aren't able to make it in Smash.
Nah, I think we'll probably see Ridley added, or at least some other Metroid character. Same goes for Mother (Okay maybe I just think Claus would be ****ing sweet to play as) and I don't think your Zelda or FE reps make much sense at all, Fire Emblem is actually pretty popular now and there are plenty of characters to choose from that wouldn't end up sucking. And Impa is pretty far-fetched. Not Vaati? Not Skull Kid? Can't see it happening.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@horsetail
If that's all the characters that would be added I would be unimpressed because they could and should do more. As far as the specific choices go the only ones I really have problems with are no new metroid rep, even if it's not Ridley we should get someone, Magnus over medusa, and impa over Ghirahim/tingle

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Chrono: I'm hoping Krom, if chosen, gets his own unique moveset. I'd rather have Lyn or Hector, personally. Just like with Pokemon, FE has a ton of stuff. So why not add more?

Also, even if Ridley's isn't added, he'll still play some kind of role as a boss. Although Giga Bowser DID become playable, so it could happen again. Also, Meta Ridley as a costume too. :D

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Completely unrelated, but I think Kirby needs his Carbon color as a costume. Maybe it's just me, though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I rather them just bring back Roy (whom can easily be luigi-fied), and just keep Marth and Ike. I would hate to see Marth, Ike, and Chrome though (especially Chrome and Ike).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Why not all four? (-i^l-)? I wouldn't mind it, in case Chrome proves to be actually good candidate for Smash, and turns out more of his own character rather than Ike 2.0.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Same here. I really hope Sakurai sees the potential in Toad, Tingle, and my other most wanted characters. I wouldn't mind if they got cut in SSB5 in favor of new characters (replacements) because I only wanted to play as them in at least one Smash game. One game, that's all I'm asking!

From what I've read on Tingle's trophy, as well as what HE DOES as an AT, I would say it looks bad for him, but you just never know so, yeah. K. Rool's trophy also doesn't say much, but I doubt that means he won't be at least looked at. So, while the trophies hint for some, I think just because it doesn't say much about a character, doesn't mean they won't be considered at all.

I think for at least K. Rool, regaurdless of what he once thought about him, he's too big of a name to just skip over because he may have written him off in the past.

Finally, I don't see why people think the newcomer pool is small. It really isn't. With like, 14 newcomers tops, I say we have a hefty pool to choose from. NOW, SSB5.... on the other hand...

I rather them just bring back Roy (whom can easily be luigi-fied), and just keep Marth and Ike. I would hate to see Marth, Ike, and Chrome though (especially Chrome and Ike).
I'm sure Chrome would be luigified if he even was a clone.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather see a horseback Eliwood than Roy.

Bringing back Roy because it'd be easy to 'luigify' him is a terrible reason. I don't want Luigi-like characters if I can have brand new ones. Plus... Roy. :I

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't get why people hate Krom anyway. Just like I don't see why people hate many characters. Likewise, the game isn't even out yet, so he could be widely different from Ike.

Personally, I'd like Roy, Hector, and Lyn. But that's just me. Realistically, I'd rather Marth, Roy, Chrome. Chrome gets his own moveset, Ike's moveset is put in Roy(with obvious changes), Marth stays the same. It may be due to the fact that I don't like Ike, but I would've liked him more if he had an Axe. It just seems him as a luigified Roy with a lot of what he has.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Why not all four? (-i^l-)? I wouldn't mind it, in case Chrome proves to be actually good candidate for Smash, and turns out more of his own character rather than Ike 2.0.
Fire Emblem will not get four characters in Smash 4. If it got three in Brawl like was originally intended, I would say yes. Heck, there is a large possibility that it will still remain with only two spots.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm sure Chrome would be luigified if he even was a clone.
Chrome is way too similar through aesthetic reasons to warrant him and Ike being in the game, especially if they are clones of each other. Sakurai would largely deem it a waste of space to have two blue-haired muscle heads.

D

Deleted member

There are plenty of characters I'd rather have, Hell, from even Marth's games: Sheeda/Caeda, Sirius/Camus, Medeus, and Hardin all come to mind to me instead of using Chrome/Krom.

Hell, even Hector and Lyn. Even Micaiah and Black Knight, I'd take before Krom.

Sakurai might even go "bias mode" and add Nabarl instead. Even though Nabarl seems to me like he'd be another Marth clone...at least he doesn't have blue hair...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Dixie will be in over King K. Rool (even though I would prefer the big lug).

Also, I think there will only be two Fire Eblem characters.

No to Toad, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr.
Perhaps Paper Mario.

D

Deleted member

If it is destined to be only two FE characters, I would rather it be Marth and Ike again.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
There was almost three FE characters in Brawl, three is definitely not out of the question...

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I think Dixie will be in over King K. Rool (even though I would prefer the big lug).

Also, I think there will only be two Fire Eblem characters.

No to Toad, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr.
Perhaps Paper Mario.
King K. Rool is more important to the series than Dixie... or at least he is in my opinion I guess we could get both of them though.

And this is towards anyone that's arguing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom